• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The kids and babies in cages right now are now adults. I'd imagine they'd feel some type of way.
Radicalized teens would've only gotten better or worse as they get older.
More people born in the 80s and 90s will be in political positions of power.
A few old racists die off, but so much for that being the end of things.
I'd imagine by then we'd have had gun reform passed, but not without many more incidents.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Can't say for sure because there are pretty high odds of me being dead by then because a panicking cop shot me, a white Trump supporter shot me and a dozen other innocent people, I got arrested by ICE and died in a concentration camp, I got beat to death for being queer or brown or I look like a terrorist to half this country, or because the planet killed us all

Good ol' America. It's like our destiny at this point to just fucking die for no reason and Republicans love it.

I dont see any of this changing soon. Every day, a new embarrassment, a new tragedy, a new scandal, some new awful thing. It's just become too much, it's too demoralizing to too many people who want to try and fight for change. And fighting for change can't do much when leadership in this country is complicit.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Society will move to the right and they'll become more isolationist which will slowly end the american empire.

Natasha Kerensky

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Praha, CZ
  • A continuation of the imperialist wars across the globe in order to extract resources and wealth from other countries
  • Prison industrial complex in full swing with legal slave labor
  • Excessive climate apocalypse worsening, the poor and people of color mostly the ones affected and dying
  • Liberals and Democrats on board with invading other countries in order to secure wealth and stability for Americans
  • Lots of white boys today mature into full adult white nationalist fascists. Tons of Pewdiepie memes and Ben Shapiro "owns".
  • Militarized police force and white supremacist intelligence agencies like the FBI and CIA murdering and neutralizing anyone daring to protest
  • Little resistance from any progressives because they continue to swallow the fascist propaganda by the NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and so on.
  • #theresistance thinking everything is a Russian/Chinese ploy and not a product of a dystopian American system that it's always has been ever since it genocided the indigenous Americans and enslaved Africans for centuries.
  • Academia is mostly just white nationalists and misogynists who all read Jordan Peterson, Stefan Molyneux, and Adolf Hitler.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Childhood Trauma
Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but not much will change.

Those kids in cages won't remember that stuff and if they become citizens have just as much chance of voting R than everyone else. And, the rise of the Alt-Right should tell you that old racists dying off and millennials coming into power won't mean jack shit.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This country seems uniquely equipped to prevent any major action on any major issue, and it's perhaps that situation where it crumbles.

Too many obstacles to hurdle over for climate, health care, precarity, automation, education, John Woo cops, gun violence, fake news.

I think some sort of collapse of social implosion is inevitable. Gridlock will only get worse with the division between city and rural demographics, with the latter being a genuine anchor to the former.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Those kids in cages won't remember that stuff and if they become citizens have just as much chance of voting R than everyone else. And, the rise of the Alt-Right should tell you that old racists dying off and millennials coming into power won't mean jack shit.
I highly doubt they won't remember this.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This country seems uniquely equipped to prevent any major action on any major issue, and it's perhaps that situation where it crumbles.

Too many obstacles to hurdle over for climate, health care, precarity, automation, education, John Woo cops, gun violence, fake news.

I think some sort of collapse of social implosion is inevitable. Gridlock will only get worse with the division between city and rural demographics, with the latter being a genuine anchor to the former.
Yup. Especially since it looks like we're gonna nominate Biden.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting any change outside a possible gun reform and even then that could be passed and gotten rid of in a 20 year span like what happened with Clinton's ban.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't expect America's trajectory to maintain its current direction at its current pace. If it does America will be utterly ruined in 20 years. But there's still too many people who disagree with the way things are to continue unfettered toward destruction.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Mass shootings get a quick headline on the scrolling news ticker from channels no one watches.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt they won't remember this.

They won't.

They'll grow up, become citizens at an early age, and won't remember life before coming to the U.S. They'll grow up privileged and thus possibly develop a "fuck you, got mine" mentality once they turn adults and start working and paying taxes.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
you're naive if you think that US empire will stop by being isolationalist

it will continue to use its huge military and its economic bullying to get its way, just like its always done the last 100 years.
You're naive if you can't see the decline is already in progress.

NATO allies tell the US to fuck off regularly now. Germans even said they only will participate in a hormus strait operation if the US isn't participating.
European and US relations declined into the worst state since WW2. In Asia china is the one bullying contries to get its way.

US foreign policy is basically one giant trainwreck at this point.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't expect America's trajectory to maintain its current direction at its current pace. If it does America will be utterly ruined in 20 years. But there's still too many people who disagree with the way things are to continue unfettered toward destruction.
Joe Biden is currently the clear favorite in the democratic primary, and one of the big reasons. is that people want a return to "normal".

People are unhappy with the way things are, but they sometimes turn to the worst possible solutions. Three years ago it was turning to Trump, next year it'll be un-doing that, but the whole time the problems will just continue to stew.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden is currently the clear favorite in the democratic primary, and one of the big reasons. is that people want a return to "normal".

People are unhappy with the way things are, but they sometimes turn to the worst possible solutions. Three years ago it was turning to Trump, next year it'll be un-doing that, but the whole time the problems will just continue to stew.

Yeah. I'd be surprised and elated if more than a small number of America's problems actually get fixed in 20 years.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations
The change is going to be when the younger Dems can beat the old black Churchladies in Dem primaries.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

These are my thoughts as well. It's depressing to think about.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Nothing will change, wealth inequality will increase, society continues moving to the right. Especially as it seems you guys will elect Biden.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
The change is going to be when the younger Dems can beat the old black Churchladies in Dem primaries.
IdealWavyIncatern-small.gif

Natasha Kerensky

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Praha, CZ
You're naive if you can't see the decline is already in progress.

NATO allies tell the US to fuck off regularly now. Germans even said they only will participate in a hormus strait operation if the US isn't participating.
European and US relations declined into the worst state since WW2. In Asia china is the one bullying contries to get its way.

US foreign policy is basically one giant trainwreck at this point.

there is a decline, but that does not mean it turns isolationist. Due to its decline, the US will use its economic and military power to oppress and exploit the rest of the world. Read up on imperialism and US imperialism specifically. Or watch this video:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is stupid. The kids in cages will never forget those experiences and carry that trauma with them their entire lives. One of the most ignorant things I've ever seen on this forum regarding childhood trauma. Do me a favor and never open you fucking mouth about shit you don't understand ever again.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid. The kids in cages will never forget those experiences and carry that trauma with them their entire lives. One of the most ignorant things I've ever seen on this forum regarding childhood trauma. Do me a favor and never open you fucking mouth about shit you don't understand ever again.
Kids remembering this experience doesn't mean they won't vote against their own self interest down the road like anyone else.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids remembering this experience doesn't mean they won't vote against their own self interest down the road like anyone else.
Of course not, but that's not all he said. He said they would forget what happened to them. No, they will never forget, that's why the abuse they are subjected to is so fucking horrifying.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it's me, the immigration attorney that doesn't understand shit. Give me a fucking break.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's me, the immigration attorney that doesn't understand shit. Give me a fucking break.
If you are an immigration attorney then you should know better than to suggest that these kids aren't experiencing trauma that will affect them their entire lives. It's a fucking ignorant-ass view, I really don't care what your profession is.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Of course not, but that's not all he said. He said they would forget what happened to them. No, they will never forget, that's why the abuse they are subjected to is so fucking horrifying.

Agreed. You don't just forget trauma like that. Source: me, a 44-year-old woman who still struggles with CPTSD from extensive and severe abuse as a child.

And I wasn't even locked in a cage.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If you are an immigration attorney then you should know better than to suggest that these kids aren't experiencing trauma that will affect them their entire lives. It's a fucking ignorant-ass view, I really don't care what your profession is.

No, what's ignorant is your understanding of the situation. You'd like to believe in your fantasy situation that kids kept at a detention center for some weeks from their parents or family is an event that scars them for life and has them swear off the Republican party forever. That is not the case.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. You don't just forget trauma like that. Source: me, a 44-year-old woman who still struggles with CPTSD from extensive and severe abuse as a child.

And I wasn't even locked in a cage.
I feel for you, I'm also struggling with CPTSD from childhood trauma. And I wasn't locked in a cage either, nor forcibly ripped from my parents and incarcerated. What's happening to these kids is actively fucking them up and inflicting terrible trauma on them, hell there have been tons of articles written by psychiatrists and mental health professionals about how dangerous and destructive these conditions are for these children.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, what's ignorant is your understanding of the situation. You'd like to believe in your fantasy situation that kids kept at a detention center for some weeks from their parents or family is an event that scars them for life and has them swear off the Republican party forever. That is not the case.
I never said it causes them to swear off the Republican party forever. It DOES scar them for life. You suggesting they will just 'forget' this kind of trauma is irresponsible and disgusting to me.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They fallout has been decided since that school shooting, if you can take white american kids getting killed then brown ones being caged it's fucking nothing.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I get that folks are feeling hopeless right now. It's an understandable response to seeing two mass shootings in under 24 hours.

On climate change things are shifting politically, fairly quickly. Younger conservatives are prioritizing climate change as an issue because there is no doubting the science, and the under-40 crew whose futures *will* be wrecked by this stuff is taking notice. It's greed still, but similar to the struggle against Fascism in the 1940s, it will take all of us, including the otherwise bad and self-interested, to overcome this challenge. It's only older conservatives who really hold things back in that regard, people who have nothing to lose from climate change and gains to be made in the rest of their days for continuing to deny it.

The gun control conversation has shifted since Parkland. The NRA now is the weakest it's been for a while, and is quickly becoming toxic whereas before they were seen as just another civil society organization (like how NRA used to partner with all kinds of mainline businesses for member discounts, the kinds of member discounts you'd get for being a Girl Scout, etc), people of conscience no longer want to associate with the NRA and that's impacted their bottom line.

Politically the pro-gun crowd is on the march in red states, but movement is being made elsewhere, like red-flag laws that allow court orders to seize guns temporarily from people judged to be a threat to themselves or others, such as a personal mental health crisis or a domestic dispute. Meanwhile gun ownership as a percentage of households in the country is at the lowest recorded per the 2014 General Social Survey (haven't looked at it since). It's a dying culture lashing out.

The reason you see bad people lash out more and more is that they see the writing on the wall. Diet racists who used to live in comfortable bubbles of privilege now have those bubbles popped and become belligerent. Gun nuts seek to intimidate by force. Plutocrats seek to plunder what they can before the hammer drops on climate change policy.

Things can get better, and the conditions to make that possible are happening now, but they need effort.

If you want the earth to have a future: https://www.sunrisemovement.org/
If you want to stop gun violence: http://lawcenter.giffords.org
If you care about exposing white terrorism: http://splcenter.org

Oct 26, 2017
New euphemisms sprout up for 'mass shootings' - extended lexicon for the severity, e.g. 'mini shooting'.

Reasonable people say: we should ban guns

Cunts go: but muh guns

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Can you provide literally any evidence to support the astonishing claim that locking kids in a cage won't scar them for life? The other poster certainly never said a thing about how their political leanings would be affected later in life.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Can't say for sure because there are pretty high odds of me being dead by then because a panicking cop shot me, a white Trump supporter shot me and a dozen other innocent people, I got arrested by ICE and died in a concentration camp, I got beat to death for being queer or brown or I look like a terrorist to half this country, or because the planet killed us all

Pretty much where I'm at. At this point I don't expect to live long enough to see anything resembling change for the better

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

The hate and willful ignorance that causes them to vote against their own interests does exist within some POC republicans for sure, but you are talking as if all the kids being locked up are doomed to forget what happened to them and that's simply not a fair assessment for anyone who hasn't personally been through that to take.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
We strip the Boomers of all Social Security and Medicare, and then, the healing can finally begin.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Honestly, probably not far from where we are now. Even with a progressive president, the only difference will be foreign relations and backtracking everything Trump did.

Domestically we will see some progressive ideas grow more. I expect a lot of people to stay apolitical but vote blindly for a team instead of being informed much like it is today. It mostly will come down to if Republicans are able to continue to steal and consolidate power while obstructing progress and pulling themselves more to the extreme right or if they'll course correct and the racist and hateful rhetoric backfires where they are forced to go left and approve of some progressive ideas.

If anything with guns, you'll see the sidestep to approving mental health funding as an attempt to appease voters. This won't stop the rise of alt right terrorists in the short term though. If things do take a turn for the even worst, where Trump does 4 more years- expect not just alt right but a counter terrorism to start from the extreme left- I can see gun shops or shows targeted and public events involving figures of the movement seeing extreme violence causing even more violence. The apolitical and ignorant will continue to shake their heads, the politicians will send thoughts and prayers and give more funding to mental health that won't solve the issue.