• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man this show is great. i can't think of a show in recent memory that's kept me on my toes as much - it keeps surprising me in that it goes in directions that i don't expect, but it does so without feeling cheap. it does a good job of keeping the characters grounded while maintaining a vague air of kinda playful surrealism without it being either pretentious or precious about it.

i wish Showtime didn't have such a spotty record cuz getting people to watch this is like pulling teeth. i keep telling them 'it's good, not like Homeland, 'kinda bad but good for showtime'-good, it's good like 'actually for real good' good. i'll give it another persistent round of recommendation before resort to strapping them into the Clockwork Orange chair with the eyeclamps
Great episode this week. I think I missed whose place they were breaking into. Seems that Garbo's guy has a totally different motive that he's hiding from Chump.
it was the (now former) news reporter, which hilariously is what finally makes her realize she's at rock bottom and ask for help

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Kirsten Dunst is always great but Théodore Pellerin has been a revelation in this. I'd never seen him in anything before (even though he looks super familiar) and he's just knocking it out of the park here.

man this show is great. it does a good job of keeping the characters grounded while maintaining a vague air of kinda playful surrealism without it being either pretentious or precious about it.

Agreed!

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Kirsten Dunst is always great but Théodore Pellerin has been a revelation in this. I'd never seen him in anything before (even though he looks super familiar) and he's just knocking it out of the park here.

Agreed!

For real, he was in the OA for a few eps but I don't really remember his character from it, but this show he's been one of the stand outs. Just going from his whimsical happy persona that he tries to use for all the FAM things and then the moments of sadness and hurt he portrays when he realizes people are pulling one over on him.

Also have to say that Mel Rodriguez has been putting on an amazing performance too as Ernie, especially with the dark things happening in his life. I loved him in The Last Man on Earth too.

I am so glad this show got a second season order already, can't wait to see how the finale plays out.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Great finale to a great season.

This plus an 80 minute episode of The Affair was a wonderful thing to come home from work to.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
holy shit. I don't know where they go from here. I guess he tries to get revenge, but I don't understand him wanting to make her family rich.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
holy shit. I don't know where they go from here. I guess he tries to get revenge, but I don't understand him wanting to make her family rich.

Maybe his idea is to find her family and bring them into his fold so that he can use them against her, especially if they see how wealthy she is and how they (probably) are not, he can use that against her through them. Similar to how soooo many people in real life who win the lottery or something iand then their lives take a nose dive because their extended family and everyone comes out of the woodwork to hound them and ask them for money and some even to the point of violence or worse.

Sinistar

Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic show this was. The best blend of comedy, drama, and suspense of any show I've seen in years. The finale actually made me scream "holy fucking shit" out loud. Can't wait for next season, so happy it was renewed.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had to wait for this to wrap up so I could binge it all through a free trial lol

This show was amazing in so many ways, Kirsten is an utterly captivating lead. Also didn't expect to like Ernie and Cody as much as I did.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I need someone to spoil this for me. How much bleaker does Ernie's story get because I think I need to tap out after episode 3.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching this earlier today. I'm on the eighth episode now.

I'm blown away. Kirsten Dunst is magnetic. I've only ever seen her in that horrible "Fifteen and Pregnant" movie, so I never saw her as a serious actress, but she really delivers every emotion here.

The actor who plays Ernie is amazing. I can't even bear to think about the fucked up tragedy his arc will bring.

Boner (sp) is so cute and I want to hug him (and other, R-rated things).

The premise for this show is so bonkers that I'm trying to imagine what that pitch meeting must've been like. You can explain most shows with a single tag line, but this defies pretty much any explanation XD

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
Started watching this earlier today. I'm on the eighth episode now.

I'm blown away. Kirsten Dunst is magnetic. I've only ever seen her in that horrible "Fifteen and Pregnant" movie, so I never saw her as a serious actress, but she really delivers every emotion here.

The actor who plays Ernie is amazing. I can't even bear to think about the fucked up tragedy his arc will bring.

Boner (sp) is so cute and I want to hug him (and other, R-rated things).

The premise for this show is so bonkers that I'm trying to imagine what that pitch meeting must've been like. You can explain most shows with a single tag line, but this defies pretty much any explanation XD

check out the film Melancholia, and of course the masterpiece which is Fargo season 2 (you don't need to have seen season 1 as the show's anthology'ish)

i always thought she was empty pretty ditsy girl, but then those two back-to-back blew my head off!

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK

S2 cancelled due to COVID

:(

"Last year, Showtime renewed On Becoming A God In Central Florida but unfortunately, due to the pandemic, we were unable to move forward with production on the new season," the network said in a statement to Deadline. "The pandemic has continued to challenge schedules across the board, and although we have made every effort to reunite the cast and crew for a second season, that has become untenable. It is with great regret that we are acknowledging On Becoming a God will not return."

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Like, why can't they just delay until it is possible? I know actors etc. probably have their contracts, but, like, in these kinds of extraordinary circumstances, couldn't they just put everything on hold (possibly let actors do other stuff), and figure out how to do it once COVID19 is less of/not an issue anymore?

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Like, why can't they just delay until it is possible? I know actors etc. probably have their contracts, but, like, in these kinds of extraordinary circumstances, couldn't they just put everything on hold (possibly let actors do other stuff), and figure out how to do it once COVID19 is less of/not an issue anymore?

They can/absolutely will for popular shows, but delaying is really expensive and the Central Florida audience wasn't big enough to warrant that kind of investment. :(

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
Nooo - I really enjoyed this show a lot. Partly since I grew up where it took place along with how big Amway was there, but also the cast were really good.

I'd certainly take another year gap if they were able to resume shooting, but none the less.. terrible news.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
They can/absolutely will for popular shows, but delaying is really expensive and the Central Florida audience wasn't big enough to warrant that kind of investment. :(

as if Showtime has a bunch of solid series. Billions got renewed for S6 but that's probably the last, and Shameless is ending this season.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Good Lord Bird is rly good so far

I forgot I wanted to check that out.

And Showtime doesn't have a good bench of current shows. The Affair was good but ended. As mentioned, Shameless is ending. Homeland just ended. The Circus is probably over. Penny Dreadful COA cancelled.

What do they have?

Miniseries

That's it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Damn. Season 1 was such a treat. And I grew up there too so it was a fun experience for me.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot I wanted to check that out.

And Showtime doesn't have a good bench of current shows. The Affair was good but ended. As mentioned, Shameless is ending. Homeland just ended. The Circus is probably over. Penny Dreadful COA cancelled.

What do they have?

Miniseries

That's it.

THR also mentioned that because it's a Sony TV show, "Showtime had to pay a licensing fee. That means the show would have been increasingly expensive to produce after factoring in rising costs to produce the series when factoring in added time and safety precautions stemming from filming during a global pandemic. The cast, sources say, was already paid for season two. "

Of the shows you listed, it looks like City on a Hill is the only one (?) that doesn't have some kind of production deal with Showtime Networks/CBS TV (outside of Back to Life, which is a BBC show they're just airing in the US). And City on a Hill was much more popular than Central Florida.

I do agree that they have a dwindling number of shows though - and a lot of their recent and upcoming ones seem to be miniseries. It could be that ViacomCBS is funneling most of their $$$ towards beefing up Paramount+ and will turn Showtime into more of a boutique service going forward.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
yeah it's very possible Showtime could just get rolled into Paramount+ and lose the "late night" stuff.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
additional info

"It really depends on the show itself but I'm going to give you a rough number and say it's between $300,000 and $500,000 additional per episode for PPE (personal protective equipment)," prolific producer Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek: Discovery, Clarice) told The Hollywood Reporter's TV's Top 5 podcast in an interview this week. "It's just in keeping people safe — and that's not a number you can skimp on."

Even on the low end, that means a 22-episode broadcast drama would be adding $6.6 million to its budget. And that number, as Kurtzman noted, does not include additional expenses that are incurred from the additional time it takes to film — things like paying the cast and crew, locations fees, etc. And if the program isn't owned in-house — like On Becoming a God, which was produced by Sony TV for Showtime — those costs come on top of an already steep licensing fee. "Costs have spiraled, and when you put COVID-19 on top of that, it makes shows not make sense," one top literary agent tells THR of the unfortunate trend.

Other factors included in the wave of "un-renewals" include things like scheduling. When film and TV production across the globe was halted in March, that threw schedules into disarray. This Is Us favorite Milo Ventimiglia, for example, planned to film USA Network's Evel during his hiatus from the NBC family drama. The Evel Knievel limited series was on the cusp of beginning production on location in New Mexico when the pandemic changed the world. USA Network became the first to scrap a show because of the pandemic in July when the window in which Ventimiglia would have filmed Evel closed. The Emmy-nominated actor is now back at work on the upcoming season of NBC's This Is Us.

Scheduling issues were also largely to blame for the cancellations of The Society and On Becoming a God.