• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
YHOUcj5.png

Airs Sundays at 10PM.

Set in a small Orlando-adjacent town in 1992, this dark comedy series stars Kirsten Dunst as Krystal Stubbs, a minimum-wage water park employee who lies, schemes and cons her way up the ranks of Founders American Merchandise (FAM)—the cultish, flag-waving, multibillion-dollar pyramid scheme that drove her family to ruin in the first place. Determined to make a better life for herself, Krystal dives deep into FAM, until her business begins to affect those closest to her.

Reviews:
Dunst's performance is so magnetic that the show could've focused on her alone, but it wouldn't have been half as effective. While Krystal is its undeniable hellion heroine, the series is as much about egocentric scam artists and the widespread devastation they can wreak as it is about Krystal's struggle to overcome it all.
Every TV show is, if you think about it, a bit of a pyramid scheme. Creators ask viewers to invest with the promise of an eventual payoff that only occasionally comes through. On Becoming a God in Central Florida establishes its foundation well and, especially early on, the payoffs are steady and sometimes surprising. Even if the conclusion and tease for the second season are much less exciting than I'd have hoped, after 10 episodes Dunst, Levine and the details of this strange world kept me from ever feeling scammed.

I just caught the first two episodes which aired back to back on the premiere date and was surprised to see there was no OT for this show so decided to make one.

I was pleasantly surprised by this show. I knew nothing about it going in and came out wishing the third episode was out. It kind of reminds me of shows like Ozark, but with more humor and quirkiness to it wrapped up in a 90's period piece.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to watching episode three when I get off work today, the show is pretty good so far.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Finished up the third episode and totally got thrown for the twist.

I just wonder what the main characters plan is now. Seems to me like she might
have realized that reading her letter in that venue would have not really hurt FAM or the top people in it, but just her husband's friend and knew that she needed to get higher up in it to bring the people at the top to their knees and expose it for what it really is.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is really good and more people should be talking about it.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
What 'Orlando Adjacent' town is it?

They certainly got the Central Florida half southern half pacific speaking patterns down. :^)

Sinistar

Oct 27, 2017
I also am really enjoying this show. This is the best three-episode premiere arc I can remember for a drama in several years.

Does anyone else think this show is a (not-so) veiled shot at Scientology? I mean obviously FAM is an Amway-style MLM product marketing scam on face, but there's also a lot of cult-type indoctrination techniques and intimidation tactics that Scientology has used so frequently, starting in the 80's. They name the levels. You have to spend(make) specific quantities to get to those levels. The leader is mysterious and isolated and speaks to his followers via cassette tape. The entire thing takes place in Florida. The more I watch the show the more I realize: the critique is actually of Scientology, not just MLM.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also am really enjoying this show. This is the best three-episode premiere arc I can remember for a drama in several years.

Does anyone else think this show is a (not-so) veiled shot at Scientology? I mean obviously FAM is an Amway-style MLM product marketing scam on face, but there's also a lot of cult-type indoctrination techniques and intimidation tactics that Scientology has used so frequently, starting in the 80's. They name the levels. You have to spend(make) specific quantities to get to those levels. The leader is mysterious and isolated and speaks to his followers via cassette tape. The entire thing takes place in Florida. The more I watch the show the more I realize: the critique is actually of Scientology, not just MLM.
i definitely got a deeper cult vibe from what they're doing with FAM than typical MLM stuff, and i've been embarrassingly well-versed in the chapters of Scientology since i first started listening to Tool and figured out who Bill Hicks was, but i didn't make an immediate association with Scientology the way i did with say, The Master. now that you mention it though it does seem like a pretty appropriate allegory/inspiration. i might have disagreed before this weeks ep, since Cody's always been presented a zealot, but the introduction of the former green beret dude nixing the Splashersize classes, which pretty plainly seems to undercut the bottom line of an MLM, makes the Garbau organization look a lot more dogmatic. that and the dude who's boat got burned warning Krystal gave this whole episode kind of a religious portend imo - and now that you mention it that dude did mention he doesn't even know his wife is alive, shout-out/blessings to Shelly Miscavige. i can see the comparison![/spoilers]

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also as a general comment Kirsten Dunst is incredible in this and she was easily my favorite part of Fargo season 2. any movies of hers i should be checking out post Spiderman and Marie Antoinette?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Living in Central Florida, it's funny that the hook that got me to take a look is the thing that doesn't feel accurate at all. Nothing about this show feels like it's around Orlando or Kissimmee - it's way more close to feeling like it takes place in North Florida. If we're walking Shaq-era Orlando Magic, I'd expect even surburanites to wear some Magic merch here and there.

However, none of that matters because the show is amazing. It feels a bit like it's Breaking Bad with MLMs, which is absolutely a show I want to watch. Really great performances too. This show has become essential weekly viewing in my house.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
i'm really starting to be curious about the evil going on behind this. All the random slime is foreshadowing.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"Nice Tits" ---- LOL, that got me. Of all the things he could have said it was such a perfect line that really shows you how little he values her opinion or pitch.

Something definitely seems "off" about his character, especially with that hot pocket scene...

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Finally started watching this, all the double talk and the office scene were some Nathan for You level cringe.

Early
violent twist
in the first episode really set the tone lol

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm invested to keep watching because there is some quirky element that keeps me coming back episode to episode.

I love Cody despite how much I'd hate a person like him in literally any other form of media or even real life. But that toilet scene made me love him far more as a character.

Mr. Garbo is... He just seems boring to me. I'm more interested in what he did to get where he is now, then the person he is now.

Krystal Stubbs is a solid lead, but I really want her business skills to be showcased more in little ways.

And ultimately I want to see if the Garbo system truly does work for it's highest tier members, or that the pyramid scheme benefits only Mr. Garbo so I can see where Krystal will end up becoming the "God" of Central Florida. Or if she sets up her own system putting her in direct competition with Mr. Garbo.

I just want this show to be where it needs to be and that's what I'm waiting for. The wait to get to that exciting conclusion is what's keeping me from enjoying the show now. If we get more 1-hour episodes at the same pace things are going I might drop this show. I need something to keep me going soon.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Just started watching this last night! I grew up in Central Florida so I was like....I've GOTTA know!

And I think its fantastic, can't wait to get all caught up.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
"Nice Tits" ---- LOL, that got me. Of all the things he could have said it was such a perfect line that really shows you how little he values her opinion or pitch.

Something definitely seems "off" about his character, especially with that hot pocket scene...

Yup exactly.

Side note, she does. I don't remember Dunst having such big ones.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Living in Central Florida, it's funny that the hook that got me to take a look is the thing that doesn't feel accurate at all. Nothing about this show feels like it's around Orlando or Kissimmee - it's way more close to feeling like it takes place in North Florida. If we're walking Shaq-era Orlando Magic, I'd expect even surburanites to wear some Magic merch here and there.

However, none of that matters because the show is amazing. It feels a bit like it's Breaking Bad with MLMs, which is absolutely a show I want to watch. Really great performances too. This show has become essential weekly viewing in my house.

My favorite part of "this isn't Central Florida" was when she drives down to West Point.

Assuming they are anywhere near Orlando that's a 11 hour round trip. Quite the distance for a MLM delivery even if

He was trying to hidehis fraud.

Also a really long time to leave your baby with a near total stranger.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, tonight's episode was freaking amazing, so many things going on and took turns I wasn't expecting. Probably the best episode yet imo.

More people need to be watching this, it's right up all the Ozark/Breaking Bad people's alley if they'd give it a chance.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I keep jokingly calling this show Twin Peaks: The Florida edition. I think it's absolutely fantastic and I agree, more people should be watching.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this week's episode was pretty darn good. That pizza restaurant scene...holy shit.

BTW what happened with the thing from the end of the first (?) episode where the cop was investigating Krystal for poaching the alligators? I don't think they ever followed up on that.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, this week's episode was pretty darn good. That pizza restaurant scene...holy shit.

BTW what happened with the thing from the end of the first (?) episode where the cop was investigating Krystal for poaching the alligators? I don't think they ever followed up on that.

They state in the next episode that she had a fine for alligator poaching, it's why she was staying at
River Rapids store room
in that episode.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Is the only legit way to watch this with a Showtime sub?

Was hoping it was on a streaming service.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Newest episode was priceless, I love when Cody runs into that "bridges" guy, it's just so hilariously over the top and the actors both play off each other so well.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks cool but seems like it's exclusive to YouTube Premium in the UK - that's the only reference I can find to it anyway.

In which case meh

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Great episode this week. I think I missed whose place they were breaking into. Seems that Garbo's guy has a totally different motive that he's hiding from Chump.