• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

On average, do you think the PS4/XB1 to Switch Ports have been technologically impressive?

• Yes, given the Switch's hardware the ports are impressive

• No, given the sacrifices made the ports are unimpressive

Results are only viewable after voting.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
It seems in every digital foundry thread for a Switch port there emerge two camps: "This port is amazing given the Switch's form factor, power consumption and overall specs" vs "Given how much has been sacrificed it's no surprise this port runs the way it does".

Obviously this depends on the port and you have disasters like Bloodstained but ON AVERAGE do you think the ps4/xb1 to Switch ports are technologically impressive?

Oct 27, 2017
The original games vary way too much in terms of technical demands to answer this and ports vary way too much in quality and what concessions they have to make to answer this, but...I guess so?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It was fun to see how they had to change parts of MK11. I think they made the story cutscenes into prerendered ones for the Switch?

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Very much depends on the game. The Wolf/Doom ports are very impressive, but I still wouldn't buy them unless Switch was my only option.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is no average - every game and ports is a different project with different budget, developers, importance etc.

Don't know what kind of result you are expecting from this kind of limited survey ....we have people on ERA that are disappointed when a game like Ori doesn't run in 4K.

PS. XI S is probably the most impressive Switch port just based on its performance and how it looks.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I find them impressive given the huge power gap. Modern games are really scaleable and we get to see the benefit of it on systems like the Switch.

Obviously downgrades have to happen for a game to run on hardware that has like 40% the CPU power and like 1/8 to 1/4 of the the GPU power of most games' target platform.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Doom is hella impressive from what I've seen in videos, MK11 not so much.

DQ11 is impressive aswell imo, but for me the Switch is 100% portable, so having full 3D games like that still blows my old man brain I guess (not unlike BotW, Astral Chain, Xenoblade and the like)

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Id never purchase any of these miracle ports. But I like seeing them and happy people can play them.

I think think wolf one is particularly crazy.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes, in general. I didn't think there would be any way these games would be on that platform. And especially if you're not comparing them back and forth and you've only got the Switch version to look at, I think so.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 is really impressive, I found Doom unplayable in comparison to be honest. If I had no other way, or hadn't experienced as it should be maybe it would be ok?

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
It depends, there are ports that are just incredible like Divinity 2, Hellblade, Wolfenstein 2 to an extend or what has been shown of DQ11 or Witcher 3.
Then there are some that are pretty good but could be better in some ways I guess like Doom, Spyro, Crash, Warframe or Mortal Kombat 11.
Then you have mediocre ports like SNK Heroines, YS VIII, Trials Rising, Fifa or Rime.
And finally you have Ark or WWE 2K.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 is really impressive, I found Doom unplayable in comparison to be honest. If I had no other way, or hadn't experienced as it should be maybe it would be ok?
Eh, I dunno, I don't agree. I played it on PC originally and again on Switch when it got gyro and thought it was fine. Obviously not as smooth, but I think calling it "unplayable" is a huge reach.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Doom on Switch isn't that impressive. I mean it's great that it runs on switch, but we talking at half the framerate, less than half the resolution, and significant cutbacks to fidelity as well compared to PS4. If switch didn't have bottle necks in CPU and bandwidth, for sure it would run better.

Same for wolfenstein.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think both poll options are simultaneously correct.

Sure the ports are impressive because of Switch's limited hardware, but not despite it. The actual result is also totally unimpressive because of Switch's limited hardware.

It's like saying it's impressive that someone ported Doom to their toaster. It is. But playing Doom on a toaster is not exactly a satisfying experience.

Luckily Switch has a gazillion awesome games that lend themselves far better to the platform. And for those who really, really want to play Doom on their Switch, well they can.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Impressive in what they accomplish on such tiny mobile hardware at such a low wattage. If you aren't impressed by what's being accomplished on the Switch I don't know what to say. Having lived through the entirety of modern 3d game development, from pre-accelerator games like Ultima Underworld and Doom to 3DFx Quake and mobile devices from the Gameboy to the Switch, seeing that kind of game on a portable device is insane and immensely satisfying. What a world we live in that we can take that kind of computing for granted.

Impressive visually depending on the game. I find the DQ XI port to be incredibly impressive. I first played it on my PC with a 2080 and a gsync monitor. The Switch port has concessions for the hardware, but it still looks great in most cases and is perfectly playable.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
Yes. Any multi platform game available on Switch, I am getting it there instead of PS4 or even PC. Portability is insane.