• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Studios that have had struggles in the past with budget/sales finally getting some financial stability is nice. Obsidian, Housemarque, and Double Fine for example. Those are acquisitions that I'm okay with.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I'd like to see many smaller struggling companies saved from bankruptcy/non-existence. Its already too late for a lot of my old favorite video game companies from the 80s & 90s, but if others can be saved I'd be for it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
unless you take the most shortsighted view possibly, there are no positives

a few more games on subscription service x is not worth loss of jobs and loss of product diversity that follows consolidation
Afaik I have only seen more jobs created so far.

Anyways any future we should hope for should have UBI so out of work devs can make indie studios of they want.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If anything product diversity is getting better not worse.

There's now a better scope for the more creative middle tier games as there's no expectation on them to reach artibrary sales numbers.

Personally I hope the smaller 'lost' developers start to find somekind of resurgence. Treasure. G.Rev, Taito, Hudson and Konami's back catalogues etc
in the short term, maybe

in the long term, the heads of xbox/playstation/nintendo (or whoever are the companies that completely dominate 20 years from now) signing off on a combined total of 75% of project budgets, compared to a combined total of, idk 15% today is bad for diversity

2–4 giants dominating the industry also makes it more difficult for new developers to enter the industry. if 15 years from now, you need to be on either game pass / spartacus / amazon game subscription service to at all get your projects funded, that's a shift in power from independent actors, towards the giants, compared to to today's situation. long term, this is bad for diversity

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Personally I hope for more diversity in game sizes, scopes and creativity with less worry on funding and more incentive to experiment and delivery via subscriptions. It's all rose tinted glasses, but if we are being optimist, the opposite would have to be proven, yet, that I know of. At least not in the hands of the big players, not talking about EA and their acquisitions in the past.

I find this hard to understand because gaming was never so diverse thanks to indies, the complete opposite of huge companies. I can't see a future where a huge company would publish Disco Elysium with the type of writing it has, let alone give it a AAA budget.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I don't like all the consolidation but to find some positives:

Sony investing in and boosting the quality of the games from their first party, Sony does seem to do a good job at making sure they have quality. Excited for Bluepoint and Housemarque's next games! And other way around, Bungie boosting Sony's multiplayer and live-service games. Mostly a single player gamer nowadays though.

Xbox letting their teams have more creative control like Call of Duty not being yearly and seeing other Activision IP's see the light of day. Also, since I just got a Series X, getting these games on Game Pass. Got 3 years of Game Pass for like $100.

For the love of God, nobody take this as "Microsoft doesn't have quality games??" or "Sony doesn't have creative freedom??." Thank you.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Just leaves more room for distruption from smaller studios and publishers, indies and start ups. AAA consolidation doesn't really matter to me since they are all doing practically the same things anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Afaik I have only seen more jobs created so far.

Anyways any future we should hope for should have UBI so out of work devs can make indie studios of they want.
redundancies are always eliminated in mergers and acquisitions. jobs have been created because the trend in the industry is larger budgets. that increase in jobs is not related to consolidation. long term, more jobs will be eliminated due to consolidate than in a counterfactual scenario without consolidation

Last edited:

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The blizz acquisition specifically gives me hope that the studio can treat its employees at least marginally better (low bar I know) and the devs will feel empowered to create what they would like more.

Maybe even a small HOTS revival? plsssss

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just leaves more room for distruption from smaller studios and publishers, indies and start ups. AAA consolidation doesn't really matter to me since they are all doing practically the same things anyway.

I'm curious where that perception comes from. I mean, I look at what Microsoft put out last year from their first parties (XBOX MS Flight Sim, Age of Empires IV, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5), and I really can't think of a single thing any of those games have in common, other than the name of the publisher. I think if anything, on Microsoft's end anyway, the "consolidation" has led so far to a more diverse lineup than they have probably ever had, and I'm guessing that is only going to get more diverse going forward.

But like you say, the upside to that upside is there being even more room for futher diversity and disruption among indie studios.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
another issue i didn't bring up before, the higher percentage of the market is controlled by a small number of giants, the more difficult the bargaining position of employees who want to fight for better work conditions, or against toxic workplaces, because they'll have fewer other potential employers to go to.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
More games in different subscriptions services, likely leading to me saving money. Not just Game Pass, I can see Embracer, Tencent and Sony going down a similar path as well.

Greater diversity of games. While this might be a weird one, I can't help but feel like the consolidated future of gaming will likely lead to more prominent figures creating their own independent studios as well as a continued growth of more indie games.

This one is iffy and more about the subscription future than the consolidation future but I feel they go hand in hand: greater security for more niche big budget games and studios. Games like Dishonored (all 3) and Prey are great but they failed to find commercial success despite being critically acclaimed, likely in large part due to the full asking price and them being more "niche" but Game Pass and other services lower the barrier of entry and may give those games a better chance to thrive.

Consolidation has definite downsides, but the way things are looking now I'm not sure it'll be all bad

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Having to buy fewer t-shirts to let everyone know about all of my favourite corporate brands.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything on one console.

Whether that be Game Pass on PlayStation, PSNow on Xbox, Steam on consoles, I want it all

Although personally I wished it had never happened, the golden age is over.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I would love to see Konami picked up by Sony or Nintendo but I think Sony would do more with the catalog of IP's plus they could work with Kojima on a new Metal Gear if chooses.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I figure consolidating under Sony and Microsoft is at least better than these devs and IP getting snatched up by the likes of Amazon or Meta.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking forward to any of it long term, but maybe there's a 1% chance these large companies consolidating might have an interest and effectiveness in fighting against ISP data caps in an effort to push their game streaming platforms. At least the ones who aren't owned or own ISPs themselves. It would probably take that level of evil to defeat another evil. It still wouldn't be worth it in the end.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
This is a tough one but I think I can explain what I am looking for. Diablo 3 seasons have been pretty interesting for a long time and you can tell that Bungie has been tweaking the D2 seasonal format for years. So I am hoping that Bungie and Blizzard can help the industry move away from the current microtransaction and loot focused GaaS/live services we see in other games.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
The upside is that some of the super rich will become ultra rich. For consumers? A future where AAA games can never be owned, and unless you pay a steep price every month then you are denied access to any of them.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like last time there was a buying spree the result ended up with a lot of talented people quitting and starting new studios.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
acti-blizzard games on gamepass and steam
clean out the management of their companies hopefully
less companies tied to CoD

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
I've always accepted that I may not have the hardware or money to be able to play every game out there, and that's always been okay. If it comes to pass that 3 or so big companies own the vast majority of studios (which, btw, I'm not fully on board with the premise yet), I'll know that whichever one, two, or all devices I own to play with these games, that studios will be producing good variety and hopefully good quality because the companies are competing hard with each other. I know that if one of them aren't producing the games I like, or are treating their employees abhorrently, then I can change to one of the others and still have a lot of good quality. Even if I don't get to play every game out there, that's fine, not like I have the time for all of them!

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
redundancies are always eliminated in mergers and acquisitions. jobs have been created because the trend in the industry is larger budgets. that increase in jobs is not related to consolidation. long term, more jobs will be eliminated due to consolidate than in a counterfactual scenario without consolidation
Larger budgets exist because of larger demand.
Consolidation = larger budgets because the ones buying have a lot of money. Obsidian had a 50/50 chance of folding, that would have been a lot of jobs in the wind.

Anyways, and I am talking from a utilitarian viewpoint here, if one person in one company can do the same job of 2 people when the companies are combined should we keep the 2 jobs available or just cut down to 1 job? If the unemployed person is not getting benefits than obviously you want to have as many jobs as possible just to help that person pay their bills, but if they are given good benefits until they can find another job that could help to grow the games industry overall or even just the economy more generally with no loss. That would require an improvement in the unemployment benefits compared to what the US and others have right now of course.

All of our jobs will be automated at some point anyways, we should probably move to having better benefits sooner than later.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to?

Just seeing where it ends up. The smartphone market was interesting as hell during its shake up. Not necessarily consolidation from acquisitions but just how it wound up.

Status
Not open for further replies.