• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

Not available to purchase yet but this is the 2nd aimed at consumer VR Treadmill, however this one seem to have more surface area than the Kat Walk Mini and Omni has been in the space for awhile and supplies a lot of VR arcades, so this might be the way to go.

Seems like it will be

$2000 w/headset (Pico Neo 2)
or
$1000 without a headset

Which if you want to use VR to get a good workout, it honestly isn't that bad of a deal at all. I am interested to see where this space goes because it does solve the space issue people might have in VR, but at a cost.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. If this thing actually works I may actually consider it at that price. I use my Oculus for cardio already and this looks pretty great for that.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. If this thing actually works I may actually consider it at that price. I use my Oculus for cardio already and this looks pretty great for that.
Omni has a very good track record so that's why I am excited to see where this goes. If it works I am in for the $1k version ($2k if the headset is good)

Oct 25, 2017
I remember giving Omni $5 on Kickstarter ages ago just because I liked the idea and wanted to see it go forward. I'm kinda thrilled to see they're still around and making products.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Wont it be like this in real life though?

shutterstock_3205165.jpg

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
love it, shame there arent many other wireless VR options at the moment. I don't want an oculus. If Valve releases an Index 2 that has wireless as an option, and throws their weight to have games support this I'm in.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Love the idea but it seems to me the surface is a bit small.. too easy to take a longer step in the heat of the moment and have a messy accident?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Cool product, but why are they showcasing it with an Xbox 360 Medal of Honor looking game?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the fact that stuff like this is already viable for enthusiasts makes me really excited. A few years or decades later we're gonna see some amazing stuff

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The software isn't really there for regular VR yet for me to consider it, let alone whatever tiny selection of games this works for.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with this would not being able to lie down easily. I do that frequently when playing games like Onward.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Niche sim hardware is pointless.

The golden question is "is this going to be adopted by enough people that developers like VRChat would support it in their VR product?". The answer here is clearly no.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Niche sim hardware is pointless.

The golden question is "is this going to be adopted by enough people that developers like VRChat would support it in their VR product?". The answer here is clearly no.

It's just a huge analog stick emulator. No need for additional support I think?
The headset already takes care of up/down movements, and the harness doesn't do anything but keeps you upright.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
there is no caliber of GRIMDARK music or musclebound model that will make Omni's weird rubber-divot treadmill setup not look stupid to walk or run on.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like the kat walk, it'll just emulator analog movement and you just tune it a bit to make sure the speed matches your movement
if that's the case awesome, hopefully it becomes big enough within the VR community. And if it does, the play space needing to be a certain size would go out the window as now you don't need a rectangle of space, you just need this and you're golden

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I wonder if being "tethered" to the ground like this would help alleviate some motion sickness.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Everyone already looks stupid if you watch them play VR. Who cares.

Oh, I should clarify: ...that doesn't make them look stupid to USE. I absolutely hate the unrealistic feeling of "walking" over its curved rubber mat. I'd rather use a joystick, and I say this as someone who is particularly motion sensitive in terms of artificial VR motion.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
It's just a huge analog stick emulator. No need for additional support I think?
The headset already takes care of up/down movements, and the harness doesn't do anything but keeps you upright.

How are you supposed to do roomscale experiences, possibly where you have to look low underneath objects, for example, when you're in a baby harness? How do you make turning comfortable? What about games with full-body tracking? Should you be able to side-strafe? How?

The gold standard is "does this make sense in VRChat" - the devs have been working on desyncing their avatar animations from pre-baked ones in case people start using these treadmills and full-body tracking. In this instance though I'd say no again, because you're strapped in a baby carriage.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Could be cool for arcades and super enthusiasts. But is it the solution to VR locomotion? Nah, not even close. Joysticks or something similar will be it for a long time.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Could be cool for arcades and super enthusiasts. But is it the solution to VR locomotion? Nah, not even close. Joysticks or something similar will be it for a long time.
I mean that is who this is aimed at, not the casual market. I would much much rather do this than a normal treadmill for working out though.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I mean that is who this is aimed at, not the casual market. I would much much rather do this than a normal treadmill for working out though.

True that. There's nothing like a digital carrot (gun) on a stick to keep them legs pumping. Even without locomotion VR is a great calorie burner. I know games like Beat Saber are the likely suspects for VR exercise, but even playing Contractors/Onward require constant ducking; after an hour or two of that I feel like I've done a thousand squats or lunges...because I sort of have.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I should clarify: ...that doesn't make them look stupid to USE. I absolutely hate the unrealistic feeling of "walking" over its curved rubber mat. I'd rather use a joystick, and I say this as someone who is particularly motion sensitive in terms of artificial VR motion.

Makes sense. I personally wouldn't have an issue with it. I sprint in place for hours at a time playing Ring Fit daily already so this is just a better version of that. Haven't tried one though, so maybe it's just super awkward.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
How are you supposed to do roomscale experiences, possibly where you have to look low underneath objects, for example, when you're in a baby harness? How do you make turning comfortable? What about games with full-body tracking? Should you be able to side-strafe? How?

The gold standard is "does this make sense in VRChat" - the devs have been working on desyncing their avatar animations from pre-baked ones in case people start using these treadmills and full-body tracking. In this instance though I'd say no again, because you're strapped in a baby carriage.

Well you said it, it's not perfect, there will be edge cases that don't work. You can't prone either.
But strafing should work just like walking backwards?

Still it's something you can use with many games that don't require those things.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm more optimistic about shoes than treadmills.

However joystick locomotion should end up being applicable to most people once refresh rates climb and anti-motion sickness solutions are built into headsets. There's also the option of walking/jogging in place - I've done it before even without full body tracking and it's not that bad.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
All I can think of is how much you will have to replace parts or how much it will stink after a a couple of weeks of use. Luckily it may sit in a closet after that.

Cool product, but why are they showcasing it with an Xbox 360 Medal of Honor looking game?
Wireless VR is severely underpowered because of having to split the power between running the game and VR at the same time. They all look like phone games or worse.

julkanvi

Sep 14, 2020
Cool product, I also think the walking surface is too small. You can see his feet being half way out on some shots.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

However joystick locomotion should end up being applicable to most people once refresh rates climb and anti-motion sickness solutions are built into headsets. There's also the option of walking/jogging in place - I've done it before even without full body tracking and it's not that bad.

These are rad

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Still not there yet for me, but I'm happy progress is being made.

MiniatureAnyFugu-max-1mb.gif

But interested to see where this goes.