• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I just hate the idea of having to change my usage habits to accomodate a $1000+ TV.

I mean - if you want the best quality that doesn't mean ol be the most robust. You want rugged but LCD

I don't think OLED needs 'babying', but some basic care steps may help extend usable life. That may be a dealbreaker for some but most use cases can be fairly simply accommodated with minor or no adjustments in how you use them

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I got burn in on my e6 after about 8 months from FFXIV. LG replaced the panel though. I did stop playing that game on this TV after that and haven't had other issues.

When I moved last year, I bought a 82" q90r because I wanted a bigger TV. The c9 at 77" was more expensive and smaller so I went with the q90r. Yes you can tell difference between the Oled and Qled but unless they're next to one another, you won't notice. I'll get another oled eventually when the q90r bites the dust. Hopefully over 5 years from now.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So this "Brightness Limiter" and "Screen Dimming" are LG OLED "features" that can't be deactivated at all?
Are those still a thing on C9 and C10?
I would like If someone can expand on this. Thanks!

Eww screen dimming, wouldn't like that at all. I guess with burn in and stuff like that I guess I'll end up with LCD again.
Or wait it out if possible for new tech lol

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've managed to sidestep pretty much every issue but all displays have their flaws. The problem for me is that LCD is just not good enough to enjoy for any content. I really can't use them outside of work. Just awful displays.

MicroLED is the next big hope.

All flat panels exhibit poor motion resolution, unfortunately. This really needs solving.

It's unfortunate that all displays are deeply flawed.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
No, and in fact, now I just go wild with it. Keeping OLED light at 100 for everything including desktop publishing.

I've managed to sidestep pretty much every issue but all displays have their flaws. The problem for me is that LCD is just not good enough to enjoy for any content. I really can't use them outside of work. Just awful displays.

MicroLED is the next big hope.

All flat panels exhibit poor motion resolution, unfortunately. This really needs solving.

It's unfortunate that all displays are deeply flawed.

Motion resolution is honestly my biggest gripe. It was the most disappointing thing to come to after having owned a plasma set.

I've since resorted to BFI for non HDR/Dolby Vision content, but damn does the drop in screen brightness hurt.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, and in fact, now I just go wild with it. Keeping OLED light at 100 for everything including desktop publishing.

Motion resolution is honestly my biggest gripe. It was the most disappointing thing to come to after having owned a plasma set.

I've since resorted to BFI for non HDR/Dolby Vision content, but damn does the drop in screen brightness hurt.
Yeah and even plasma was a step down from CRT. It's insane that no company has managed to get use back to that point. That such an old technology still has an advantage over every single flat panel is crazy to me.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
My B6 has massively terrible burn in, letterbox burn in, and the Netflix logo on the bottom right, and other shapes starting to creep onto the screen.

Most of the burn in is completely unnoticeable when watching a letterboxed movie, but everything else is an eye sore. Used to only show on reddish colors, but also starting to creep in on greens and blues.

I babied my TV, always ran the pixie cleaning cycle, and made sure to never let things longer on the screen for very long. Burn in showed up about a year and half in.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
LG B7. I use it mainly as a third monitor on my PC and have had zero problems with burn-in.

Haven't changed my habits or anything for this TV. I play games and watch movies the same way as I did before OLED.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Owner of a B6 for many years now. I use it for gaming, Netflix and YouTube. Zero burn-in.

And no. I don't baby it. I have treated it like my previous LED TVs.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
B8 owner for about.. a year and a half or so? Maybe a bit longer? Anyway, no issue with burn in at all yet. Haven't changed any habits. I make sure not to leave the TV on if I pause a game to go make dinner or something, but that's a non issue.

I watch hockey 3-6 nights a week depending on the schedule which has the scoreboard in the upper left in harsh colors for ~3 ish hours, and no issues there either.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Use a B6 since 2017 and have zero burn-in. Actually checked for the first time recently with some test slides. Always used it at full brightness too.

Only thing I do is vary the content (naturally, I just watch a lot of movies and play different games) and turn the TV off when I leave for longer than a couple minutes.

The newer models have much better burn-in mitigation as well.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I firmly believe my B6 to have been a lemon.

Unfortunately it didn't start showing these signs until after the warranty expired.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
If something is gonna burn in, it's the red logo on the lower right corner of the screen that's constantly on when browsing titles.

That even happened to someone here.

my B6 has the Netflix logo burnt in. which, as I've said, is insane because of how aggressive LG's screensaver is. It's impossible to keep that logo onscreen unless you're actively browsing. It's a flaw for sure.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
No burn in after a year of moderate to heavy use with youtube, Netflix and ps/xbox.
Though I fully anticipate issues within next 2 to 3 years. Unlike my previous tv that lasted 10 years I dont expect this to get past 5.

Samsung QLEDs I hear are great now. OLED is this gens plasma.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yeah and even plasma was a step down from CRT. It's insane that no company has managed to get use back to that point. That such an old technology still has an advantage over every single flat panel is crazy to me.
I honestly don't understand why OLEDs don't fire the pixels in sequence like a CRT. That should alleviate some of the motion problems, right?

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You need to stop this habit now. LG recommend against this. The automatic pixel refresher runs every 4 hours when you turn your TV off. That's enough. The only time you should run the manual refresher is if you get a stuck pixel or some really bad IR
I ran a search on my model (oled55e7p) and I couldn't find anything that says that it has an automatic pixel refresher. I double-checked my manual and everything and couldn't find anything to corborate it. Is this a standard feature? If so, when was it implemented?

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
What about phone screens that are OLED? Anyone noticed any burn in on those?
I've had an s8+ since launch and have zero burn in. This thread made me realize that I don't even think about it at all, I was actually a little shocked by that. I essentially forgot I was using an oled screen and didn't alter my usage either. It's why I'm still pumped for using a 48cx as a PC monitor this year.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What about phone screens that are OLED? Anyone noticed any burn in on those?
If AMOLED also counts, yes.
My previous phone was a OnePlus 3, and after about 3 years of solid use, the system tray at the top had burnt in. With that said, the rest of the screen was completely fine, and you could only see the burn-in against pure white backgrounds, which isn't something you see too often.
My current phone's a OnePlus 6T and it's had about a full year of very high daily usage, and similarly the tray is also burnt-in on this one, but it's extremely faint and I'd never be able to see it in any other circumstance, so it's not a huge issue.
I don't know how much the fundamental tech in phone OLEDs varies from that of a TV OLED, but yeah, not really something to worry about.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I ran a search on my model (oled55e7p) and I couldn't find anything that says that it has an automatic pixel refresher. I double-checked my manual and everything and couldn't find anything to corborate it. Is this a standard feature? If so, when was it implemented?
It has been a feature since the 6 series I believe. I know my B7 does it.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
If AMOLED also counts, yes.
My previous phone was a OnePlus 3, and after about 3 years of solid use, the system tray at the top had burnt in. With that said, the rest of the screen was completely fine, and you could only see the burn-in against pure white backgrounds, which isn't something you see too often.
My current phone's a OnePlus 6T and it's had about a full year of very high daily usage, and similarly the tray is also burnt-in on this one, but it's extremely faint and I'd never be able to see it in any other circumstance, so it's not a huge issue.
I don't know how much the fundamental tech in phone OLEDs varies from that of a TV OLED, but yeah, not really something to worry about.
You seem to keep buying things that are prone to burning in haha.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I've had the C9 for a few months with no issues. My prior tv was a plasma that I've had for 12ish years prior with no issues.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Had my C8 for about a year and a half. No burn in, but I just had this suddenly appear on it. The rare time I wish I had purchased the extended warranty.

Yr0NLOb.jpg

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
My PC has been hooked up to my LG E7 for 3 years, no burn in at all. I use it as a daily gaming, netflix, hulu machine. I get occasional IR usually only in the video app menus (amazon carousel is bad for this for some reason) but it always goes away when ever I start a video. I've done a grey gradient video test as recently as this summer. Best TV and Monitor I've ever had.

Yeah same for me. Amazon is the only channel that, without fail, leave image retention on my B8

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Mine has the Fox Sports logo burned into the top right as well as the life metre from Mario odyssey burned into my B6.

Also it seems the panel overheated in the middle recently, yellow in the centre of the screen looks very green, only noticed when watching Simpsons on Disney plus. It's noticeable but not unwatchable.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
Mine is 3 years old and has done all of my console gaming. Including over 100 hours of odyssey. No image retention or burn it at all and I don't hide any UI.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has made clear to me that I'm too neurotic to own an OLED as I often play one game a lot.

It's not you, OLED, it's me.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
On my E6 I have 3 spots that are easily noticeable from red parts of various HUD/UI elements burning in, luckily they're all at the edges so not really an issue when watching films in wider aspect ratios or gaming where the action is happening close to the center.

Red shit will burn in eventually, the price you pay for the best TV tech you can get really.

Nov 1, 2017
Some numbers: In this thread we have 113 oled owners, 32 report burn in
Add another to that list: The B6 my roommates and I have in Vancouver has massive burn-in within the first year of use. I moved back to Ottawa a couple years ago so I can't take any photos. The screensaver didn't activate for some reason and the bright yellow 5 from 5 Second Films (on YouTube) has permanently burned in. It's most noticable in grey uniform screens, e.g. browsing the Xbox One menus. We should have called LG. :/

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
C8 owner after 1 year. Nothing seen on my screen after good amount of usage a day. Screen Saver comes on after 30 seconds (or whatever lowest time is) which helps a lot too.

Last edited:

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm looking forward to 2020 OLED panels with 120 Hz and better BFI. It won't be as good as CRT but at least it's a step in the right direction.
I hope 240 Hz panels with BFI will be a thing in a couple of years.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
My B7 had this kind of letterbox burn in / image retention after 1500h of use (picture is from AVForums):

before-clean-jpg.786101

Funny because I use it for everything. Guess HDR movies with high peak brightness caused this. Did run the 1h long manual panel refresh and now its gone.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Does B9/CX have gigabit ethernet port? One of the biggest drawbacks on my X900E is that I cannot stream 4K content from my PC that goes over 100mbits [fast action scenes can usually go over that, which causes stutter/skips].