• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
Yup, my B6 has it. Got couple vertical lines that only show up on red/yellow/orange-scale. Otherwise the screen is great.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think talking to someone on an enthusiast forum who says they use an OLED TV as their PC monitor as if they haven't heard of running burn in slides is pretty tone deaf and condescending tbh. "Burn in will almost definitely be present" is some agenda pushing shit on top of that. You basically said that i'm ignorant and almost definitely have burn in.
That really, really isn't what I said in the slightest. And I'm not pushing an agenda; I'm operating purely on my own personal experience with my set, and the sets of people I know and that I have seen in person. It was an honest suggestion and I made it with the intent of being helpful, not just to you but as a suggestion to anyone who owns an OLED who are curious about testing for burn-in.
It's also worth mentioning that this isn't actually an enthusiast forum per se, this just a thread on TVs in an off-topic forum on a gaming enthusiast site; on top of that I don't know you, and have never seen your posts before, so with all of the above taken into consideration, I didn't have any way of knowing how my suggestion would be received. Once again if it did come off as condescending then I do apologise, but it absolutely wasn't my intention.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
No, not at all.

Just be smart about running the pixel refresher every couple months or when the TV has been used in such a way that it should be run more frequently. I'm as concerned about it as I am about chemtrails.

Last edited:

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
My brother got rid of his LG OLED after the first signs. Street Fighter V health bars were being retained. He had for about 2 years

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
My B7 has the %25 precent window error, which is a defect.

LG refused to fucking repair it after stalling me till my warranty expired, claiming I refused to do a pixel refresher (I said it's not going to fix it since it's not an image retention issue)

Fuck LG

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

LG refused to fucking repair it after stalling me till my warranty expired, claiming I refused to do a pixel refresher (I said it's not going to fix it since it's not an image retention issue)

Fuck LG
For real? That's what mine's currently in repairs for! This is the second panel I've had as well, first one got replaced because of a stuck pixel... Insane that LG refused to fix it for you, I read everywhere online beforehand that this issue was something they'd address outside of warranty... Mine's not in warranty anymore, and it got taken away by a local TV repair shop on Monday... Now I'm worried that they'll hit me with a surprise repair bill after the fact :P

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a brand new LG 65" C9. I will be using it for work, PC web browsing, games, Netflix and movies. I have enabled dark modes on every app I use. I turned the subtitles to light blue on Netflix. I ad blocked any static logos on websites I use frequently. I hide toolbars and run in full screen mode. I will one day report back here if I get burn in or if I remember to(if I don't) but I am pretty confident I have taken every precaution. Though its taken a little effort to setup this way its not really changed my habits much.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
For real? That's what mine's currently in repairs for! Insane that LG refused to repair it for you, I read everywhere online beforehand that this issue was fixable outside of warranty... Mine's not in warranty anymore, and it got taken away by a local TV repair shop on Monday... Now I'm hoping they don't hit me with a surprise repair bill after the fact :P

Fuck them, contacted both LG USA and Europe asking for a written response about the issue so LG Middle East are forced to repair it.

Nothing.

LG were forced to repair them after Rtings found out about it in their burn in testing.

No written statement about it, no blog post, nothing.

And the issue is getting worse everyday Tha tmy friends are noticing it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No, not at all.

Just be smart about running the pixel refresher every couple months or when the TV has been used in such a way that it should be run more frequently. I'm as concerned about it as I am about chemtrails.

No, don't do this. Never do a manual Pixel Refresher unless you have a visible problem with your panel.

Not only the Pixel Refresher does nothing for burn in (it's for retained image/pixel wearing balance), if greatly abused can shorten the lifespan of your panel. This is detailed in the manual.

Goldenhen

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
For those who watch Netflix with subtitles in HDR, you can go to profile setting on your web browser and change the subtitle font to transparency rather than yellow or white. This method should reduce the brightness of the subtitle when watching in HDR or DV.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
No, don't do this. Never do a manual Pixel Refresher unless you have a visible problem with your panel.

Not only the Pixel Refresher does nothing for burn in (it's for retained image/pixel wearing balance), if greatly abused can shorten the lifespan of your panel. This is detailed in the manual.
Yup, this is right.

The TV will also do its own "refresh" cycle (not the same as pixel refresher) after you turn it off it it's been running for more than 4 (iirc) hours too.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
My PC has been hooked up to my LG E7 for 3 years, no burn in at all. I use it as a daily gaming, netflix, hulu machine. I get occasional IR usually only in the video app menus (amazon carousel is bad for this for some reason) but it always goes away when ever I start a video. I've done a grey gradient video test as recently as this summer. Best TV and Monitor I've ever had.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, quite a lot of poor uniformity from I guess using it as a PC monitor for about a year. I figured it'd be safe after anecdotes from others, having my OLED light only on 40, hiding the task bar, and changing the layout colors in a program I use a lot to mid-greys. But nope, it happened. Thankfully it's only noticeable during large bright colors (red, yellow) so, despite how much it ruined my comfort and complicated my setup, I stopped using it as a PC monitor before it got any worse...

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, quite a lot of poor uniformity from I guess using it as a PC monitor for about a year. I figured it'd be safe after anecdotes from others, having my OLED light only on 40, hiding the task bar, and changing the layout colors in a program I use a lot to mid-greys. But nope, it happened. Thankfully it's only noticeable during large bright colors (red, yellow) so, despite how much it ruined my comfort and complicated my setup, I stopped using it as a PC monitor before it got any worse...
What year model?

Oct 28, 2017
qkp7BCq.jpg

I dunno why everybody always thinks theyre the first person to ever read shit on the internet about OLED, and refuse to believe actual users with thousands of hours experience with the tech.
Look at this beauty.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, this is why I say panel variance is definitely a thing. I don't go out of the way to hide any UI elements beyond auto-hide the task bar, and my experience has been the opposite, 2017 model as well, and I have my OLED light set to 65 on my PC for SDR, and 100 in HDR obviously. I've been expecting the yellow UI elements from Ableton to start showing up burnt in for a while now, but so far so good.

People get the hearts burnt in from 100 hours of breath of the wild, while I've easily used Ableton for 1000 hours, it's crazy. I've long suspected it has something to do with voltage regulation/and or the automated compensation cycles.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fuck them, contacted both LG USA and Europe asking for a written response about the issue so LG Middle East are forced to repair it.

Nothing.

LG were forced to repair them after Rtings found out about it in their burn in testing.

No written statement about it, no blog post, nothing.

And the issue is getting worse everyday Tha tmy friends are noticing it.

Yeah that's awful. Their communication is poor to begin with but that's definitely a level beyond what I experienced. I only found out about the cause of the 25% issue through RTings, they've done some really good work analysing these TVs... Pretty crap that LG doesn't provide support for, or even acknowledge, a manufacturing defect; I suppose they don't want to draw attention to it for fear of people experiencing the issue coming out of the woodwork to return their TVs en-masse. Who knows how widespread it really is.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I have a B6 and I have multiple elements burnt in to my screen. It's an issue that I've gone into depth in other tv threads, so I'll put my feedback here again:
So this "Brightness Limiter" and "Screen Dimming" are LG OLED "features" that can't be deactivated at all?
Are those still a thing on C9 and C10?
I would like If someone can expand on this. Thanks!

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Mmm. This thread is definitely scaring me away from LG CX. I use my TV as a computer monitor and play games like FFXIV on it and long gaming sessions like 12 hours aren't impossible for me. I hate burn in and I'm pretty picky about that kinda thing.. not sure what TV I'd jump to after my current TV (Vizio P series 2016).
You are checking some negative boxes there with that long 12 hour gaming sessions talk.

There will be other options available. Logos and huds and just static images in general over hundreds and thousands of hours are the culprit

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
You are checking some negative boxes there with that long 12 hour gaming sessions talk.

There will be other options available. Logos and huds and just static images in general over hundreds and thousands of hours are the culprit
Maybe I'll just upgrade my sound system this year and look at new TVs next year.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
~_~

This is why I fear OLEDs still, since daily desktop use will most likely wreck it fast.
It's definitely mostly pc elements that burnt for me. All oranges and reds like the google play "play" button. But also the Netflix logo from the built in WebOS app, which is frankly unacceptable. It's their own app.
So this "Brightness Limiter" and "Screen Dimming" are LG OLED "features" that can't be deactivated at all?
Are those still a thing on C9 and C10?
I would like If someone can expand on this. Thanks!
I haven't followed OLED panel productions since the 6 and 7. If I remember correctly, one of them can be minimized or all but removed on later models with the right settings, but the other seems to be here to stay. I find it to be a huge annoyance, but others might not.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I want to get an oled, but I'm most afraid of the Netflix continue watching screen. My wife likes to fall asleep with Netflix running.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I want to buy an oled I get scared about investing so much money into something that seems so fragile.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I want to get an oled, but I'm most afraid of the Netflix continue watching screen. My wife likes to fall asleep with Netflix running.
The built in app works with the standby so its not left on a static screen to long. My wife is terrible with not turning off the TV and thankfully it's quick to go into it's screen saver.

Every time I want to buy an oled I get scared about investing so much money into something that seems so fragile.

I went in knowing burn in will probably happen a few years in so I got a 5 year warranty with it. Best Buy will just swap it out as soon as it has burn in.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The built in app works with the standby so its not left on a static screen to long. My wife is terrible with not turning off the TV and thankfully it's quick to go into it's screen saver.

I went in knowing burn in will probably happen a few years in so I got a 5 year warranty with it. Best Buy will just swap it out as soon as it has burn in.
I thought companies didn't cover burn in

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck LG
That's absolute garbage on their part. I'd light up their phone lines all day, every day.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota

Fuck LG
Had Vizio do something similar to me. Had an M series back in 2012 and it started having a horizontal line on the screen. Because it wasn't vertical they said it could be a bad cable or source.. I told them it was on every source and they kept putting it off until my warranty expired. Most manufacturers hate having to admit fault, it costs them money.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017

Huh, I had no idea.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I just hate the idea of having to change my usage habits to accomodate a $1000+ TV.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG model from 2018 and burn-in hasn't been a problem for me, though I'm always concerned about it. Lots of OLEDs should have some kind of screen refresh feature designed to erase or limit damage and I run that every time I play a game for more than a couple hours. I also tend to turn off static HUDs if they're immobile but not too many console games offer that feature.

If you're particularly concerned, just make sure your brightness settings are turned down a bit, minimize instances of static images being displayed on the TV for more than a few minutes and take advantage of the anti-burn in tools your consoles and TVs have.
You need to stop this habit now. LG recommend against this. The automatic pixel refresher runs every 4 hours when you turn your TV off. That's enough. The only time you should run the manual refresher is if you get a stuck pixel or some really bad IR

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just hate the idea of having to change my usage habits to accomodate a $1000+ TV.

This is exactly my problem with the whole thing. If you're gonna put down that much money on a TV, you should be able to expect a markedly higher level of quality- something that'll last you a good long while and continue to look great with no compromises necessary. Before the OLED I had a low/mid-range 'LED' TV from Samsung that lasted me a good 5 years before I decided to make the switch. And not out of any real need to switch either; the image on the LED looked exactly as it did the day I bought it.

Ever since I got the OLED I've developed this kind of anxiety where I'm hyper-aware of whatever I'm leaving on the screen for too long. Stuff like HUDs in games in particular, but also stupid shit like YouTube videos of people showing a PC interface with persistent UI elements etc... All it takes is a few seconds of a bright or colourful static object to cause image retention, and that ghosting stays for a good few minutes before fully fading away. Retention and burn-in are two very different things I know, but you can't help but be conscious of it and worry about all of that usage adding up over time.

I bought into OLEDs knowing there were potential drawbacks, because I thought I was supposed to be getting the best possible visuals for my money at the time. And ultimately that's not in question; when an OLED is in good order and is given the right content, it can absolutely sing. Like, I've had moments where my jaw's literally dropped because of how gorgeous something looks, and I've yet to have that happen with any other kind of display. But in my experience, those moments are few and far between, and they aren't quite enough to justify the constant worrying or changing of habits etc; it's always there in the back of my head when I'm using it.

Not to mention all the problems I've had with my particular set, outside of burn-in... I accept that others here have had much a more positive time with their OLEDs than I have, and that I may have just had bad luck with my TV... But I can only draw my impressions from what I've personally had to deal with, which has been far from positive. I've had three separate panels now, and all of them have developed a defect of some description on top of burn-in. You really shouldn't have to be taking such a big gamble on something this expensive, it's just not good enough.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I have a B6 with the vertical bars all across the panel. Shows up most in light blue, like when the scene is mostly blue sky. It's also gotten worse as time goes on.

I think this is more of a panel manufacturing issue than a burn in issue though. Does anyone know if this is still considered a serviceable issue, or am I stuck with it?

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017

Yup, this is right.

The TV will also do its own "refresh" cycle (not the same as pixel refresher) after you turn it off it it's been running for more than 4 (iirc) hours too.
I am so confused by this. I researched the topic of the "pixel refresher" when I bought my TV and LG directly says to do it as much as possible. That said, I just googled the topic and many people say it's the worst thing you can do for the health of your TV and you should never elect to do it manually.

Here's an example of LG saying to do it as much as possible: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/1277/do-you-have-to-wait-to-use-pixel-refresher-on-lg-oled-c8

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
I have a B6 with the vertical bars all across the panel. Shows up most in light blue, like when the scene is mostly blue sky. It's also gotten worse as time goes on.

I think this is more of a panel manufacturing issue than a burn in issue though. Does anyone know if this is still considered a serviceable issue, or am I stuck with it?
I advice you to use this kind of content and then if you find something is unapcetable documents it and send to your local support https://youtu.be/dP4vEGREGD4 https://youtu.be/2jHvDUTgzQE https://youtu.be/Vs84_xCJPbc

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my LG for 2 years now and got burn in trough the use of a PC on OLED.

I contacted LG through phone because I'm still under warranty and I didn't even really need to finish explaining the problem, support was like: "Okay, give me your serial number, adress, phone number, we will send someone over to switch the panel"

So I got an SMS a day later, that they are ordering the parts and will contact me again when it's available. That was last monday, so I'm still waiting but it seems like it will be no problem and the TV should last me another 2-3 years which is fine.

Still crazy to me having such a problem with a TV that costs over 2500€ and I didn't even have anything on for 10 hours or so.
I don't know if I will buy an OLED again, but I just love everyhing else about this TV, the image quality is sooo good.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
C8 owner here.

No issue my end, very hard gaming/streaming user. TV would be on perhaps 8 hours a day minimum. In saying that, it has begun to "hold" bright images if the screen flashes to a black. Noticeable, but the image fades within ten seconds. I've made good effort to never hold a static image, and the TV itself has all the bells and whistles to avoid the more serious cases.

I think it's like anything - there will be cases where you can do everything feasible and it happens, or hold a static image for 100 hours and it doesn't. My saving grace is the range of media I consume, with the longest title since I've had it being Dragon Quest XI for 200 hours. Touch wood and all that.