• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I have a b7 that's 2 and a half years old, 6000+ hours on it. Use it as my ONLY pc monitor, it's used as a PC 4+ hours a day. Not a whiff of any burn in, I also produce music in Ableton which is basically a bunch of bright yellow square everywhere, still nada. Hundreds of hours of Destiny and Overwatch on it, all kinds of other games too.

Honestly I think there has to be panel variance at play here, nothing else explains why I can use it as a PC monitor 4+ hours a day for 2.5 years, yet other people get the TV's own UI burnt in after a few months.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LG OLED for 2 years. Played a shit ton of Destiny and FFXIV for hours and even accidentally left it on overnight. No burn in issues.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Honestly I think there has to be panel variance at play here, nothing else explains why I can use it as a PC monitor 4+ hours a day for 2.5 years, yet other people get the TV's own UI burnt in after a few months.
Yeah, or maybe brighness/contrast settings could play into it? It seems like it's not consistent, which is kind of even more worrying.

I think im just going to wait for Micro LED

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
OLED light is at 85, and I watch all kinds of content, SDR, DV, HDR. I guess having Netflix subtitles on at all times - and watching quite a lot of Netflix - can fuck up an OLED eventually. It took about a year and a half before the burn in started appearing, but now it's there for good. It's killing me, because I find the TV perfect otherwise.

You can set the sub to 50% transparency. Im watching netflix that way and the subs are pretty dimm, even in HDR.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I found out too late on the beastcast that's you aren't supposed to have that OLED brightness setting maxed out for non HDR content.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Not at all, but I'm pretty careful with my TV and always make sure it's shut off it isn't in use (which, given my schedule ... it's off a lot). Also, I run that pixel refresher at least once a month just to be safe. I'm not sure how much that's actually helping, but it makes me feel better on the inside and that's good enough, lol.

Nov 9, 2017
No burn in, but I do have vertical banding on my B7. Only notice it on dark static images and its not a dealbreaker by any means. The newer sets supposedly have minimized this.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got an LG C8. Nope.

It's extremely difficult to acquire burn-in on newer sets, even in extreme conditions.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG OLED E6 (65") and love it, with the exception I have one point of burn-in. It's a perfect circle, about an inch to inch and half in diameter, towards the top of the screen on the right side. I've had the burn-in for about 6 months now and have decided to live with it because I rarely notice it (only on red and light tan backgrounds).

Still baffles me how I received the burn-in, as I can't figure out at anything I've done with the TV that has caused this specific shape of burn-in and where it's located. None of the games I've played has had HUD displays at that point of the screen and that specific shape and the location doesn't coincide with anything that I've watched on TV.

I am going to ride out my TV until it dies, or if I get more burn-in that is to the point that I can't accept it. Because as I said, otherwise, I've loved the TV overall. But I also wonder how well burn-in has been addressed for current OLEDs, or is it just as likely as TVs of my generation.

Yeah white subtitles are crazy bright. You can actually change the subtitle color to something else (you have to access Netflix on desktop). I use yellow subtitles which are less bright, but now it turns out yellow might be the reason for burn in.

I guess watching a lot of Netflix eventually might burn in the subtitles, even though they're not constantly onscreen. And turning them off is not really an option for a non native english speaker.

I actually took a pic of my TV, you can see the bars clearly at the bottom:

Wow, that shit is AWFUL. Yeah, I would definitely be replacing if my burn-in was that obvious.

Last edited:

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
I have a b7 that's 2 and a half years old, 6000+ hours on it. Use it as my ONLY pc monitor, it's used as a PC 4+ hours a day. Not a whiff of any burn in, I also produce music in Ableton which is basically a bunch of bright yellow square everywhere, still nada. Hundreds of hours of Destiny and Overwatch on it, all kinds of other games too.

As you can read wherever you are looking, oled technology is made up of a material that wears out. "This is not a lottery of the panels. Otherwise there should not be any straw measures such as: ABL, washing" of the pixels, lowering the luminescence from the signal (nintendo switch, ps4 ect). It is simply the use that is made of it, honestly I can advise those who use the screen mainly with static images (PC, over six hours of play in a fighting game or racing game etc.) to consider different technologies. https://www.youtube.com/user/badaindonesia/search?query=oled

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared, senpai. I want a super cool OLED TV but I'm very poor and investing that much money into something that could have burn in and ruin the TVs worth long term would suck a lot.

Especially with the subtitles mention! Imagine getting an LG CX and watching as much anime as I do and then.. RIP.

Or the fact that I use my TV as a monitor and spend several hours with my TV on... I don't know. I want better viewing angles and maybe better picture quality than my.. already beautiful Vizio P50-C1, but I don't want burn in.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had my B7 for two year plays games all the time with no issue. Now I have a C9 as a monitor and using it for more than just gaming. So we'll see in due time.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep, my B7 has been completely awful and is currently in repairs for a third time. Steer clear of OLED as a whole.

Oct 28, 2017
I had image retention issues once when my wife watched some youtube stuff regularly which had some static image stuff but the pixel refresher took care of that.

Other than that it's good (lg TV, have it for 3 years or so now).

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
As you can read wherever you are looking, oled technology is made up of a material that wears out. "This is not a lottery of the panels. Otherwise there should not be any straw measures such as: ABL, washing" of the pixels, lowering the luminescence from the signal (nintendo switch, ps4 ect). It is simply the use that is made of it, honestly I can advise those who use the screen mainly with static images (PC, over six hours of play in a fighting game or racing game etc.) to consider different technologies. https://www.youtube.com/user/badaindonesia/search?query=oled
Right, but I'm speaking from experience. Reality tells us different. There are people with the netflix logo burnt in after 2 months, meanwhile I have easily 3000 hours of Windows use on mine, hundreds of hours of Destiny and Overwatch. This variance could have something to do with voltage regulation or the compensation cycles, but there is definitely panel variance.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Right, but I'm speaking from experience. Reality tells us different. There are people with the netflix logo burnt in after 2 months, meanwhile I have easily 3000 hours of Windows use on mine, hundreds of hours of Destiny and Overwatch. This variance could have something to do with voltage regulation or the compensation cycles, but there is definitely panel variance.
Sometimes burn-in is only visible when viewed through certain colour spectrums. Might be worth running a full-screen test video with just fully red, green and blue images; burn-in will almost definitely be present on red.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes burn-in is only visible when viewed through certain colour spectrums. Might be worth running a full-screen test video with just fully red, green and blue images; burn-in will almost definitely be present on red.
I run burn in slides once a week thanks. Clean as a whistle.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
No, but my 65" LG C8 has a pretty good screensaver. It doesn't really work when video games are on, though. I've left games sitting for 5+ hours and never had an issue.

I've had two panels on it too, with the same treatment. The first panel was replaced in the first year for a solitary stuck green pixel.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never even seen image retention on my 65" C8 or 55" B8. Both have had hundreds of hours of gaming on them.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

this is me and I have the C8 :)

Thanks for that. Tried a few and only noticed a bit of dirt lol

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have the C7 which is over 2 years old now and i use it for gaming, Movies, Netflix, have a Mac mini plugged into it and i used to watch a lot of Sky News but not as much now as i'm sick of Brexit :-\

No burn in at all for me

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
qkp7BCq.jpg

I dunno why everybody always thinks theyre the first person to ever read shit on the internet about OLED, and refuse to believe actual users with thousands of hours experience with the tech.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018

So, you are very lucky!

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I watch a lot of TV on my C8. I'm insanely sensitive to visual anomalies. No issues on red here either. On two panels (minus that stuck pixel).

Best money I ever spent.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
qkp7BCq.jpg

I dunno why everybody always thinks theyre the first person to ever read shit on the internet about OLED, and refuse to believe actual users with thousands of hours experience with the tech.

It's not that people are refusing to believe you, it's just very surprising to see. I know 5 people in the same department at work as me alone who bought the exact same set, and literally all of them have had problems with it.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018

Man, freeze please. I really hope one day we have oled completly free about this issue and then I purchase one of it for sure. The risk is real due to the tecnology itself, there are people really lucky as you and there is people (as you written before) are unlucky in few hours of usage. So: the risk is real as you probably read on your models manual. I'm very pleased to read testimoniance experienced like ur.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Man, freeze please. I really hope one day we have oled completly free about this issue and then I purchase one of it for sure. The risk is real due to the tecnology itself, there are people really lucky as you and there is people (as you written before) are unlucky in few hours of usage. So: the risk is real as you probably read on your models manual. I'm very pleased to read testimoniance experienced like ur.

I bought the C8 after an unhealthy amount of research and never really came across many testimonials about burn-in with that particular model. I'd have probably avoided it if I had.

Seems like it's luck of the draw. Perhaps my panel is a better panel. I bought my mom the same TV and she's never had an issue either I'm glad to report. In fact, hers didn't get the damn stuck pixel like mine did.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's not that people are refusing to believe you, it's just very surprising to see. I know 5 people in the same department at work as me alone who bought the exact same set, and literally all of them have had problems with it.
Funny how anecdotes work, none of my friends have burn in, but I don't act like people with burn in are lying, or talk down to them like theyre idiots that don't know what theyre talking about.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
risk is real =/= it's a widespread issue. Majority of this thread has been saying their OLEDs are fine, same happens if you watch similar threads in other places.

Of course you'll see threads in Reddit and such about "my OLED burned!", no one is going to open a thread about "my OLED didn't burn yet!". At the end, like everything, the issues are more visible.

Also, all technologies have issues, all my LEDs had issues like dark spots or just flat out LEDs breaking.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Funny how anecdotes work, none of my friends have burn in, but I don't act like people with burn in are lying, or talk down to them like theyre idiots that don't know what theyre talking about.
I... Never talked down to anybody? If you think my suggestion of trying different colour swatches was condescending then I can only apologise, but seriously, was just trying to be helpful? That's how I discovered mine had burn-in and thought it was worth mentioning.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I... Never talked down to anybody? If you think my suggestion of trying different colour swatches was condescending then I can only apologise, but seriously, was just trying to be helpful?
I think talking to someone on an enthusiast forum who says they use an OLED TV as their PC monitor as if they haven't heard of running burn in slides is pretty tone deaf and condescending tbh. "Burn in will almost definitely be present" is some agenda pushing shit on top of that. You basically said that i'm ignorant and almost definitely have burn in.