• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you use the Vivid or Normal mode?

• Vivid

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • Normal

Votes: 50 50.5%
  • I decide per game

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
So been using my oled switch and I find in some games vivid is actually really awesome like Mario odyssey. I generally tend to prefer accurate settings but I like this atm.
Which do you guys prefer or do you select on a per game basis?

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to keep in mind is vivid will increase the wear on your screen a lot quicker than standard.

Last edited:

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Normal.
Vivid mode saturates and crushes colors, deviating the game from the creator's intent.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's curious, vivid seems to be a more accurate colour profile for classic Doom and Doom 64, the reds in particular give it away where in classic Doom having it in standard causes the reds in the HUD to be particularly muted from how'd they'd look on typical CRTs. Doom 64's HUD is additionally far more visible under vivid, where standard causes it to almost completely blend out, which does not match how it looked on an actual N64.

I almost wonder if vivid mode is actually normal for the OLED, and standard is a tweaked profile to match the Switch LCD from before. And maybe that matches some developers intention to look how it does on some basic LCD, but certainly not for anything made for a CRT, let alone anything I've worked on.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Never go with vivid. It jacks up the colors in an unnatural way. Standard is the way to go.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Both profiles seems to be junk, but the normal color is more color accurate, but again thats not saying much considering its not calibrated well at all. So really just pick the one that looks best to you, some games will look better, while others will look better on vivid.

Vivid is the native screen in its wide gamut mode (this isn't exclusive to OLED, LCD are also wide gamut)
Normal trys to match the sRGB standard

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't know how accurate the Switch's sRGB calibration is, but as someone who has personally swore by oversaturated colors before as is the case with most WCG monitors, I've come to realize I actually prefer sRGB in the long run. The vivid pop is really nice the first time you see it, but after awhile you definitely start to realize it's better to just be in sRGB even for games or shows that fit the colorful aesthetic. On a well-calibrated sRGB profile the colors are alot more natural and easier on the eyes. There's more nuance to the scene and it's also what the artist intended. There are times where more vivid colors do make the game look nicer, if they are too undersaturated by default. Counter-Strike Global Offensive is probably the most obvious example, I don't know a single person who doesn't crank the vibrancy to 100 on that game. For most games though, especially single player games, your probably gana want to be in sRGB mode.

Oct 30, 2017
vivid looks completely ridiculous and standard looks more like my OLED TV. so, standard