• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've picked up an LG OLED C1 recently. This has been my first entry to OLED, and I must say I am throughly impressed. My PC and PS4 Pro games look infintely better versus a standard TV. It geninely feels like I've upgraded my GPU or have entered a new generation. Everything on a standard PC monitor or LCD TV looks like utter garbage compared to the OLED. Another pleasant surprise is the input lag. My previous Samsung LCD has an input lag of 43 msec in game mode, and I'm surprised how I have survived over these past few years. Everything feels utterly responsive on the LG. Conversely, going back to my Samsung is like navigating through treacle.

I've also managed to finally try 120fps. Unfortunately my GPU does not support HDMI 2.1 so I was not able to take full advantage of the 4k120hz capability, but I managed to bruteforce 1080p120 on Doom Eternal. Everything is so goddamn fluid. I thought 60FPS was great, but 120FPS is on a whole new level. Doom Eternal looked and felt mind bogglingly good. I can understand why high framerate gaming is highly sought after and the need for overkill GPUs such as the 3080. I hate the fact I've experienced 120fps - because I'll probably never be able to play my games at this framerate again. The problem with 120fps is that it's almost too good. I've been spoiled. Sadly I have to resign myself to 60fps this generation due to my pitful GPU - my 2070 can only handle 1440p60 or 4k60 DLSS, and I don't think it's worth sacrificing image quality/graphical settings purely for framerate.

Nov 20, 2019
I've picked up an LG OLED C1 recently. This has been my first entry to OLED, and I must say I am throughly impressed. My PC and PS4 Pro games look infintely better versus a standard TV. It geninely feels like I've upgraded my GPU or have entered a new generation. Everything on a standard PC monitor or LCD TV looks like utter garbage compared to the OLED. One another pleasant surprise is the input lag. I've been playing games on a set that has an input lag of 43 msec in game mode, and I'm surprised how I have survived over these past few years. Everything feels utterly responsive on the LG. Conversely, going back to my Samsung is like navigating through treacle.

I've also managed to finally try 120fps. Unfortunately my GPU does not support HDMI 2.1 so I was not able to take full advantage of the 4k120hz capability, but I managed to bruteforce 1080p120 on Doom Eternal. Everything is so goddamn fluid. I thought 60FPS was great, but 120FPS is on a whole new level. Doom Eternal looked and felt mind bogglingly good. I can understand why high framerate gaming is highly sought after and the need for overkill GPUs such as the 3080. I hate the fact I've experienced 120fps - because I'll probably never be able to play my games at this framerate again. The problem with 120fps is that it's almost too good. I've been spoiled. Sadly I have to resign myself to 60fps this generation due to my pitful GPU (my 2070 can only handle 1440p60).
I just ordered one today,

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
My 1070 can push 1440P / 120 (depending on the game, of course), you should be able to with a 2070. You might just need to set it up as a custom res in the Nvidia control panel.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol I'm almost glad I can't really tell much difference between 60 and 120fps.

Oct 29, 2017
Congratulations. You can never go back.

In fact, give it a couple years and you'll need some time to adjust back down to 60 fps. It's doable of course but it's remarkable how quickly the human eye can get used to very high refresh rates as standard.

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulation on the upgrade. I first experienced 120hz on Quake like 8 years ago. I used to play on 60hz TV and the upgrade legit made me think something was wrong with my display. At first it looks weird at how fluid it is, and how responsive it feels. Not to sound like a snob or anything, but I've never managed to go back to 60hz display for gaming. Now I'm on a 3840x1200 display that I run that at 120hz and once again, I don't think I can ever go back to something less (Freesync is amazing at making it all look and feel fluid when framerates drop).

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is why you embrace 1080p120 my 2070 brother.
That is too much of a sacrifice in image quality and graphics unfortunately. As much as I enjoyed 120fps, I would ultimately pick 4k60. 1080p is so 2010.

lol I'm almost glad I can't really tell much difference between 60 and 120fps.
I think the jump between 30 and 60fps is much bigger than the one between 60 and 120fps. But my key takeaway was how fluid and responsive the controls were. I've never been more impressed with using a control pad for a game as fast-paced and frantic as Doom Eternal once set at 120fps.

A compromise would be setting my desktop at 4k120, and running games at 4k60. But I would need a HDMI 2.1 compatible GPU for that.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the jump between 30 and 60fps is much bigger than the one between 60 and 120fps. But my key takeaway was how fluid and responsive the controls were. I've never been more impressed with using a control pad for a game as fast-paced and frantic as Doom Eternal once set at 120fps.

If that recent Ratchet and Clank update is the start of a trend, hopefully we'll start seeing games support 120hz exclusively for the input lag reduction, even if they still put out 60 (or 40) frames for the game itself.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Eh, you'll be able to adjust going back and forth with time. My first experience with the awesomeness of 120fps was way back when the first Call of Duty game came out on PC, and I somehow survived playing 60 fps games after that.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
I can't honestly tell the difference between 60 and 120.

However, the difference of 30 to 60 is incredibly noticable to me.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've only seen Rocket League at 120fps at a friend's house and my first impression was: "You sure your TV supports 120fps?" (on a Samsung Q80T so it indeed does). I'm gonna ask him to boot Doom Eternal next time.
That's because you only 'saw' him play.

Pick up the controller and the difference is quite perceptable.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 4k120hz on the LG CX was the sole reason I upgraded from a 2080 Ti to a 3080. I would've definitely waited another generation and a lot of ordering headache if it weren't for fulfilling that display's potential with the 2.1 port.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

A compromise would be setting my desktop at 4k120, and running games at 4k60. But I would need a HDMI 2.1 compatible GPU for that.
I've only seen Rocket League at 120fps at a friend's house and my first impression was: "You sure your TV supports 120fps?" (on a Samsung Q80T so it indeed does). I'm gonna ask him to boot Doom Eternal next time.
Yeah I can tell at 120fps Rocket League looks smoother but I can go back to 60fps with no issues. Nothing like going from 60 back to 30. Visually it's just not a big deal to me.

Biggest difference for me was in desktop usage lol, it feels so much better just to move the mouse around.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I tried nioh at 120 the other day and I couldn't tell the difference. Is much more noticeable playing with a mouse and keyboard.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly you may be better off running 1080/120 rather than 4K/120 today.

- A lot of games will not run at 4K/120. You may be thinking "I can just run with VRR enabled." You can, but it causes raised blacks on OLEDs.
- 4K/120 seems to still have some compatibility issues. I have problems with my PC deciding not to recognize the TV anymore and sometimes the signal to the TV will temporarily drop out when I do things like minimize windows on my PC.
- You actually have to sit pretty close to your TV to be able to see the difference in 4K vs 1080p texture resolution. Most of the visible difference is actually related to aliasing of edges. However, you can achieve the same effect with SSAA and a lower output resolution.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Give it a few years and the folks who still enjoy 60 fps will be chastised on here to high heaven. P
I can still play games at 60FPS - currently enjoying the Modern Warfare campaign on the PS4 Pro. But when you play 120fps for a sustained period, you simply don't want to go back. 120fps is objectively better.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I tried Doom Eternal at 120hz (LG CX 65" + PS5) last night.

It's definitely the nicest 120 game I've played yet. Dirt 5 was nice, but Doom Eternal is better at showing off the snappiness.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
4k 120fps on my 3090 is awesome. Really the thing for me is gsync it's so nice. But if I go back console or a game that doesn't support 120 it's not a deal breaker for me but it's pretty damn sweet. Enjoy your new tv.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still chugging along with a 980 Ti, but playing older games at 1440p/120 FPS is hard to beat.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
Welcome to the OLED crew, the C1 is fantastic and you all reap a ton of benefits when it comes to movies as well, and you will get a updates for at least one more model.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Another convert who regrets seeing the top of the moment.

Be happy you're not in the 240-440hz camp.

Things aren't bad some developers like insomniac are figuring out you can offer lower fps with high refreshrate. It's a decent future proofing until we get great 6k or 8k displays.

I tried Doom Eternal at 120hz (LG CX 65" + PS5) last night.

It's definitely the nicest 120 game I've played yet. Dirt 5 was nice, but Doom Eternal is better at showing off the snappiness.

It's the only engine that before I got this ryzen I was seeing microsecond timing in aspects of renderer and it barely breaks. One of the few titles now that currently can do 8k.

It pumps out an insane amount of fps data.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
4k 120fps on my 3090 is awesome. Really the thing for me is gsync it's so nice. But if I go back console or a game that doesn't support 120 it's not a deal breaker for me but it's pretty damn sweet. Enjoy your new tv.
I'm not sure if I am experiencing any of the benefits of G-sync. I enabled it for Outriders (doesn't quite sustain 60FPS for me) but it still felt quite choppy when the framerate dropped. What am I missing? I enabled it from the 'game optimiser' tab on the TV.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Your gpu should be able to do around 100fps at 1440p without dlss, with dlss you can pretty much get 120locked. Also hdmi 2.0 supports vrr so your fps can run free between 120-90fps and it will look great.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Would love to get one but unfortunately, due to burn-in still being a thing, it's a no go for me. I fall asleep with the TV on all the time, so for me it's a recipe for disaster getting an OLED.. I fear I'm gonna ruin it in no time. I've realized I'd rather take a slightly inferior panel than change my watching habits..

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Btw. You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 4K 120hz on recent LG OLEDs. They support this via HDMI 2.0, and you can set it on a PC through the Nvidia control panel. You can expect it to be less full featured than a proper 2.1 signal (HDR mileage may vary) , however it does work. I have had my old 2080 running 4K 120 on an LG CX.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Bought an expensive fibre cable to be able to finally hook up my 3080 to my C9 downstairs without lag/artefacts from streaming. It's glorious, I finally get the best of both worlds. Comfy couch gaming plus the performance.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I really need to try a 120fps game on my LG CX.

What are the best PS5 games for it? DMCV and Nioh both support it don't they?

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I have never witnessed 120fps. I read alot of comments however about how the jump from 30 to 60 fps feels more impactful than from 60 to 120 fps.

Can you compare the jump from 30 to 60 with the jump from SD to 720p / 1080p and from 60 to 120 with 720p / 1080p to 4K if you compare it with resolutions?

The jump from SD (PS2 generation) to 720p / 1080p (PS3 generation) caused a bigger excitement for me than the one from 720p / 1080p towards 4K.

Firing up Motorstorm on my fat launch PS3 on a shitty HD Ready 720p JVC television felt mindblowing coming from the PS2.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Mhmm. Halo Master Chief Collection has been doing 4K120 for some time now on Series X and 1080p120 on Series S. Absolute butter.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I have a B6 (one of the older LG OLED's at this point) and I end up having to play games in HDR darkroom mode because I didn't get my game mode calibrated like I did my HDR modes. Shit's way to bright on game mode and I'd probably end up in burn in. Play games on a OLED is a revelation, I'll never buy a different panel again (I dont' use my PC on it though as I'd REALLY be concerned about burn-in--again because that mode is not properly calibrated).

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
120FPS is great, however its not that bad for games that aren't First Person Shooters. The difference is the most pronounced in First Person Shooter Games. In Third person games and most other genres 60FPS is usually smooth enough. But yeah, once you get a taste of high refresh rate First person shooter gaming its very hard to go back to 60FPS. I usually try to aim for 80 on first person shooters for demanding titles.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Totally agree OP. Was happy with 60fps for years, and simply dismissed 120fps as a gimmick.. until I tried it. And then I was spoiled. And now whenever I'm playing something at 60fps I'm constantly thinking how much better it would look and feel at 120fps.