• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
61gRLTCAtjL._SX679_.jpg

I have a bottle of Goya Adobo (yes, I know) that's been following me around for well >20yrs. I use a little every so often, but can't seem to make a dent.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Cayenne pepper tends to lose its spiciness pretty quickly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Turmeric just because it's the same size as everything else but used in less dishes and in smaller quantities.

2 years old.

The rest is between 6 months to a few weeks, I go through most of them quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a jar of finishing salts that I'm sure have been in my possession for fifteen plus years. At this point, I suspect the finishing salts will never be finished.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a tin of Old Bay from back when G4 TV was still on the air that hasn't even been opened. I bought too much years ago and then stopped making seafood boils with it.

Maybe I'll steam some crabs with it and see if it still retains its flavor.

Pillville

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not a spice, but a couple weeks ago, we were cleaning out the cupboard of my Mother-In-Law who's a borderline hoarder and we found this bottle of Karo from 1982.

hIZbhcN.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
All my spices are within a year old. I try to use them in a reasonable amount of time. If it's some spice I don't think I'll use again for a long time, I go to the bulk section at a nearby grocery store and I just buy what I need.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me it's also Turmeric. I really just add it for colour, not flavor anyway, so I guess I don't really care if it's not at it's peak anymore in terms of flavor.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Generally I'll toss out anything past the date. Space is an issue and I hate to accidentally buy something I already have.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I just threw away some fish sauce from probably 5 years ago. It was still closed but I had a smaller container and never could find a use that was more than a tsp.

Oct 27, 2017
I found a container of 12 year old corn starch that survived multiple moves. Finally had a recipe call for it so tossed it and bought some more.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Chili flakes. I'm sure that container is at least 5 years old. Before that, it was a Costco sized container of Old Bay which was 10 years old (I used the last of it recently). I had much older spices than that, but I tossed a lot of them when I moved three years ago.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woke up with the weirdest sense someone was going to ask this question!

I only ever use this for long road trips but it's probably 10,000 years old at this point.

Z746Gtn.jpg

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Some extra spicy paprika that my father once brought when he came by and cooked for me. Easily >20 years old. I mostly use a milder kind myself, although this one works well in marinades, and somehow keeps retaining its flavour in its airtight container.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think i have some chinese five spice thats been there for like 6 years

i know that this gigantic bag of hot cayenne i got in an indian store in pittsburgh is 5 years old, as well as all the nutmegs i have

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Cayenne pepper tends to lose its spiciness pretty quickly.
I have a large jar of super ultra hot cayenne where you only need a dash for an entire pot of soup. It's lasted since I was a kid ~20 years ago and it's still as spicy as ever

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
What a coincidence - I'm cleaning my kitchen and found 20+ yr old peppers soaking in vinegar:

The smell was horrendous

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a spice, but I do have a big thing of kosher salt that I've been using for a good 12 years now. The damn thing is seemingly infinite.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure if I looked at some of the less used spices at my parent's place I would find stuff from the early 90s. I tend to make only a handful of different types of food so I only buy the spices I need for the dishes, which means I never have some spice I used once and then never again.