• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Sexual Harassment; Ignoring the Modpost
Just take the compliment and move on....

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happened back when I was a cashier. Wasn't a compliment so much as a pretty direct pickup attempt

I was on the back half of my shift at night so I just kinda deflected it

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I like it, and usually see it as a bright point of my day, but that can be becasue people giving me compliments is a rare thing at all.

Last edited:

AshuraSenku

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yea this happens to me. Especially when I was younger, older women in my church would place their hands on my chest, shoulders, or rub my back for a little too long.

Dec 22, 2018
Not only am I fine with it, I'm usually flattered by it. I had something like that earlier in the week where an older woman brushed my shoulder (presumably to get some speck off my suit), then leaned in with a smile and told me she wanted to keep me looking good.

Even though there was a significant age gap, I wasn't even remotely offended. That sort of a thing is a self-esteem boost for me.

That being said, I realize I'm not everyone, and just because I enjoy it doesn't mean others will.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Of course he does not have to accept a thing...is that not 100% obvious?
My advice is that he should accept.

Sheesh...
This thread isn't about what he should do, it's about how it's not okay that young men can be touched against their will, or made uncomfortable through comments, by older women without consequences. Yeah he shouldn't respond by pulling out a sword and beheading her and should instead take the civilized approach in that moment but it's a widespread problem that hardly anyone wants to talk about.

And this isn't whataboutism or #notallmen, sexual harassment is never alright regardless of gender and people should have their space and feelings respected.

Not only am I fine with it, I'm usually flattered by it. I had something like that earlier in the week where an older woman brushed my shoulder (presumably to get some speck off my suit), then leaned in with a smile and told me she wanted to keep me looking good.

Even though there was a significant age gap, I wasn't even remotely offended. That sort of a thing is a self-esteem boost for me.

That being said, I realize I'm not everyone, and just because I enjoy it doesn't mean others will.
Thank you for at least realizing that others feel differently. If it makes you feel great when it happens, hey more power to you. But the people who aren't comfortable when it happens should have their feelings respected by others instead of being told to "man up" or "stop overreacting"

Last edited:

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Older women are always hitting on me. Its highly disappointing because I wish I got that kind of attention from someone my own age. For example I feel like I could date every single one of my ex girlfriends moms. Very weird.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Comments like 'Such a handsome, young man' I typically shrug off as a grandma-esque compliment. It's something people say to little kids, and sometimes people just keep saying it to anybody, regardless of age.

At a previous job, though, I did experience definite harassment.

My immediate supervisor was about 15 years older than I was, and it started off as just generally-weird comments: "I fuck guys all the time, and my husband can't do anything. He'll never leave me, so he just puts up with it." That went on for a few days.
Then it became things like "If it's just for fun, do you want to fuck me?"
Then, after my denial, "If I lose weight, do you want to fuck me? I can probably even get you a raise."
Then, after further denial, "Oooh! You're like my brother! I love that you can take a joke! This is why we work together so well. :D"
And then, finally, after a super-awkward workday, she finishes up the evening with, "Oh yeah, I'm autistic. Sorry about the socially awkward joke from before."

I didn't feel, in any way, physically-threatened in my situation, so I shrugged it off pretty easily. Had that variable been different, though, I"m not sure how it would have gone down.

So yeah, it happens. Try not to let it bother you too much. Most of it is just people being nice. Some of it is just cougars looking for some fun (and why not?). And a small portion of it is legitimately predatory. It's not something that should consume too much of your concern.

Mar 29, 2018
Imagine how much more (and how more threatening it is when) women get this sort of treatment. Really stark.

But yes this is absolutely sexual harassment and the minute you feel uncomfortable make it known.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I get it from time to time, although it's generally more...quaint, maybe...than it is unwanted or creepy.

I can see how it would be the complete opposite if genders were reversed, and maybe I should be more bothered by it. But part of me likes it, I guess.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I've had it happen lots. It doesn't bother me and I kind of like it. Probably because I know if I don't reciprocate back I don't have to worry about them waiting for me in a dark alley and murdering me.

I'm sure there are certain situations/scenarios where it would be very uncomfortable for men.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring modpost and making light of sexual harassment
Comments like 'Such a handsome, young man' I typically shrug off as a grandma-esque compliment. It's something people say to little kids, and sometimes people just keep saying it to anybody, regardless of age.

My immediate supervisor was about 15 years older than I was, and it started off as just generally-weird comments: "I fuck guys all the time, and my husband can't do anything. He'll never leave me, so he just puts up with it." That went on for a few days.
Then, after my denial, "If I lose weight, do you want to fuck me? I can probably even get you a raise."
Then, after further denial, "Oooh! You're like my brother! I love that you can take a joke! This is why we work together so well. :D"
And then, finally, after a super-awkward workday, she finishes up the evening with, "Oh yeah, I'm autistic. Sorry about the socially awkward joke from before."

I didn't feel, in any way, physically-threatened in my situation, so I shrugged it off pretty easily. Had that variable been different, though, I"m not sure how it would have gone down.

So yeah, it happens. Try not to let it bother you too much. Most of it is just people being nice. Some of it is just cougars looking for some fun (and why not?). And a small portion of it is legitimately predatory. It's not something that should consume too much of your concern.
They hiring?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they're calling your toddler sexy and asking him to be their boyfriend? That's kinda weird.
its very creepy and strange. The sexy comment came from a lady working at a Sprint booth, the latter some random person at a restaurant who probably had some drinks in her and chitchatted on her way out of the restaurant.
What.... the fuck? Seriously? Who says things like that to a toddler? I've seen older women be flirty with young guys but never with children
Yo wtf? That's weird af man. I'd shut that down immediately.
The comments caught me off guard when they happened and i would just wrap the conversation up and exit. This would happen either when I was alone with my son or if my brother would tag along with us. My son never got those types of comments with my wife present.
This brings back a memory from when I was a teenager (I'm guessing somewhere around 15).

I remember picking a game/snacks or whatever from the local convenience store/movie rental place and when it was time to pay, a cashier I'd never seen before told me that I should come find her when I'm older/turn 18. She was fine and had to be at least 18, so I felt like the man, honestly.
The "I'll wait for you" comment came from a worker at an airport, who was probably 17-20yrs old herself. I hope she's never been hired to babysit.
This is women who have really poor judgment in choosing partners projecting their issues on to your toddler. He's momentary comic relief to their eternal problem of bad boyfriends.
LOL. Could be the case for some.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

I understand this is your story and your reaction, but that is an INSANE takeaway to have from your boss trying to proposition you.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, get older and younger co-workers that touch my arm/shoulder when talking to me. I have fairly well defined shoulders and arms and they want to see what's going on under the hood, if you know what I'm sayin'. It's odd, yes, but I don't get easily offended so whatever.
In your case, there's no easy way to bring it up other than to just bring it up and say something. I can't imagine it will be an easy conversation, though. If your not comfortable with that, just avoid this person if able?

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's happened to me in the past, couple of times a year. Social conditioning led me to believe it was ok and to take it as a compliment. However, if I run these instances through a gender reversal scenario then it becomes extremely obvious that it's not ok..

If it happened today would I say something, probably not.
If I said something similar to a woman today, would I have a job tomorrow, probably not. The difference is, women are more likely to report this stuff due to the social conditioning men receive growing up. Going by a lot of posts in here it's obvious that men, even on a leftist media platform, will ridicule each other on this subject.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017

The owner is in prison for embezzlement. I can pass your name along when the sentence is over.

I understand this is your story and your reaction, but that is an INSANE takeaway to have from your boss trying to proposition you.
She wasn't my boss, she was a supervisor. The actual boss would have been a wildly different scenario.
I could tell she was a pathological liar, and was probably desperate for some sort of affection (she was about 500 pounds). I honestly felt more sorry for her than anything else. I didn't give her the affection she wanted, but I also didn't hate her for throwing a Hail Mary.

"See staff post"

*Doesn't mention what post*
Took me a while to find, too. I think it's this one?

Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to undermine a person's harassment; especially the OP's. What I'm trying to say is that, even though harassment is bad, I, personally, didn't feel like I was in actual *danger.* As such, considering the OP also doesn't appear to be in legitimate danger, he shouldn't, hopefully, let it affect him too much.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It sucks. Don't think I really encountered these kind of things much thankfully, because the touching in particular, yeah I could get really sensitive from that, probably more than many.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
When I worked in a pharmacy I used to get compliments a lot from older women, they also forced tips on me all the time (which they never gave to the older men or females). Looking back though I was sexually harassed by tons of people at the job. Had a female co-worker who would 'jokingly' slap my ass, another female co-worker who regularly asked me about my sexual desires / preferences and a male co-worker who always asked me weird shit like "would you buy me panties". I was young, it was my first job, I didn't realize that it was sexual harassment at the time.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you find it wrong in one direction then it is wrong in the other as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It happens to me all the time. I enjoy the attention personally. It's not the same as the other way around since men are more sexually violent (fact).

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
You know what else is a fact, its sexual harassment whether its from a man or woman.

I'm really baffled at all the comments equating "sexual harassment" by men and women, without bothering to explain why. To me they seem like completely different things. Different power relationship, different social expectations, different history.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
It happens to me all the time. I enjoy the attention personally. It's not the same as the other way around since men are more sexually violent (fact).

If it's normal for you, this doesn't make normal for everyone.

I think men should get better at saying things that make them uncomfortable but it's pretty hard if there is toxic masculinity.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't recall experiencing anything sexual but sometimes even compliments are like "Yeah this isn't the time or place." Typically it's always about my eyes.

The one that stands out is the women that run the voting station I go to. "I really need to set you up with my teenage granddaughter." Ma'am you just checked my ID so I'm pretty sure you know that, age-wise, it won't work out. Mind you I was like almost 3 years ago and I was 20 at the time, so it wasn't a huge gap, but I was like "uhhhh"

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was complimented for my looks more often randomly (without it getting creepy). Touching is definitely a no-go though, that will always feel gross.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I sadly keep getting rather bold women when I have done my delivery side job. From flashing, to grabbing me.

Worst part? I report it, and had been laughed at over it. I now have a direct email I report women (and a few naughty older men), to a director that takes these seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
Ha I thought I was alone on this because when I told my friends they would just laugh it off.
At work I found some sunglasses and went to turn them in and an older lady was already waiting for them. I handed them to her and she straight up hugged me and I froze and she said she was glad a young strong man found them. My coworkers just laughed it off be ause they thought it was hilarious that I just froze and made an uncomfortable face. Also had an older coworker who would give you a hug from behind and then slip you a $5 bill.... One time in a shopping parking lot I helped a lady out a case of water in her car because it was heavy afterwards she latched onto my forearm and said thanks but just kept her hand there. After she noticed I was uncomfortable she just laughed and said it was cute and she said she was a toucher.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really baffled at all the comments equating "sexual harassment" by men and women, without bothering to explain why. To me they seem like completely different things. Different power relationship, different social expectations, different history.
There are is not a different power relationship or social expectation if your superior is propositioning you at work, regardless of the gender of the superior or employee. That is inappropriate behavior for a superior, full-stop.

Similarly, it is inappropriate for even a coworker to touch another coworker in an intimate manner without consent, and it is inappropriate to make sexually suggestive comments to coworkers in the work place. The gender of the person doing the harassing has no bearing on the inappropriateness of these scenarios, and the reason why is pretty self explanatory. That kind of behavior is inappropriate for the workplace, especially without consent. Even if two employees are romantically involved, they should not be making overly sexual comments or excessive PDA with each other.

Men can be sexually harassed, both by other men and by women. Men can be assaulted, both by other men and women. Men can be abused, both by other men and women. It is not a difficult concept to understand.

Jan 16, 2019
I'm a male Registered Nurse (24 years old), I've gotten some flirty comments from my older female coworkers that are usually in their 40's. One of my coworkers who is pretty attractive herself always tells me she'd set me up with her daughter if she didn't have a fiance. Mind you they know I'm in a relationship myself lol. She tells me this just about every time I work with her.

Makes me slightly uncomfortable but I just chalk it up as a compliment and move on.

Oct 28, 2017
It seems a lot of other men in here who have experienced sexual harassment/assault have firsthand experienced the "freeze response" which also happens to a lot of women (and presumably other gendered persons) under similar situations. So many people are so quick to blame victims for having this response, but it seems like a common response in these types of cases. Don't beat yourself up for freezing if you did. Happens to a lot of us.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can understand people who feel uncomfortable about it, but I always kinda liked it and when I didn't, it never affected me negatively. I've never thought being uncomfortable after a compliment was such a bad thing personally... Unsolicited insults in high school, though, that's something else. ;)

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I've had women put hands on me in the workplace, nothing overtly sexual in my personal experience and it's never particularly bothered me. Every situation is different, though, and people's tolerances are going to vary.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to speak up and let them know that it makes you uncomfortable if that's how you feel, and the people who tell you to shut up and deal with it should fuck off. You're absolutely entitled to set boundaries for your body regardless of whether you're a man or a woman.

Jan 15, 2019
I had one older woman, about 50, on the bus tell me that if I ever need anything I can stay with her and then pointed out to me where she lives. She kept emphasizing it like "Really, if you need anything, and I mean anything, you can come to me." It was really strange, because this was all within a few minutes of her sitting down beside me.

Another woman about 40 came up to me at a club, grabbed my dick pretty forcefully and then walked away.

Yet another woman, 60+, who I was giving a lyft ride back when I tried out lyft spent the entirety of the ride telling me how attractive she thought I was, starting with "Oh, I didn't expect my driver to be so attractive" before she even got in the car and then wouldn't talk about anything else. I was just saying "Yup, mhmm, thank you, okay" through the duration of the ride.

All three were super uncomfortable. Not sure how 50+ year old women making you uncomfortable could possibly be a "stealth brag."

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
There are is not a different power relationship or social expectation if your superior is propositioning you at work, regardless of the gender of the superior or employee. That is inappropriate behavior for a superior, full-stop.

In most cases, there's no old-boy network protecting a woman, there's no larger society telling women they're free to treat young men line shit, and there are always options for men to escape.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's only ever happened while I was working customer facing jobs, and the few times it did I was fortunate enough to be able to retreat behind a help desk.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
When I worked in a hospital the older women were always trying to get me to date their daughters. It was slightly annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had any uncomfortable situations happen at my current place of employment. My last one tho was pretty rife with them now that I look back. I guess I just did my best to think of it as a joke or I would put the blame on myself for being too nice. I didn't like confrontation.

I worked part time as a tutor while going to college, so perhaps the one-on-one would make people feel like they were able to just blurt out whatever (now I'm just making excuses for them). I also had a stalker at one point who would be there all the time and memorized my schedule. Found out my phone number and would call me if I wasn't there. And I had no idea how to deal with it. This was about 5 or so years ago. She eventually moved 6 or so months later and I was free.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
As a much older guy than most of you its kind of eye opening to read about how many guys nowadays get hit on by older women. It was just not a thing that happened much when I was younger and working, I can't think of a single friend in my 20s-40s who talked about getting hit on by an older woman. Wonder if its the field, changing of the times, the internet letting people be more honest, or what.