• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
damn thats cool, it feels like the swords are actually clashing

harry's got some balls, stop motioning all the hydra heads in jason, the arms in this, and medusa's snake hair in titans

tenor.gif

tumblr_om8mcvznLp1tdkro1o4_r1_250.gif
It is interesting to look at his work, not only do you see him get better but he was always trying to outdo himself.

And a big "Yes!" to all the Davy Jones love, still incredibly well done and I don't think a cgi character has topped it. Certainly there have been characters with more polygons behind them(Thanos, the Na'vi) but none of them, despite the added power, are as alive as Davy Jones.
dj.gif

Oh, and matte paintings are always the unsung heroes of film:
image.gif

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Now this is only 14 years old which is not very long in the history of cinema, but given how many advances were made in CG in the last decade, Davy Jones in POTC2 looks like he could have been in a film released this year, and a damn high budget one. They hadn't even invented the modern face-cam mocap yet but it captures Nighy's performance perfectly..
I'd love to post examples of older, less well known movies but in terms of quality relative to technology at the time and how convincing it is today, Davy Jones is phenomenal. I rewatched the trilogy when Disney+ launched and the effects work could stand toe to toe with anything released today.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I still think the dragons in Reign of Fire look excellent, and I will stan this movie forever.
here is all the dragon footage in a convenient video

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
figured i'd post this for those who don't know about it, they have about 40 episodes at this point and me and the gf watch them every single weekend when a new episode gets uploaded

EDIT: if every episode is 10 mins, and ive seen like all 40 episodes, thats like 7 hours ive watched of this, holy crap lol

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
figured i'd post this for those who don't know about it, they have about 40 episodes at this point and me and the gf watch them every single weekend when a new episode gets uploaded

EDIT: if every episode is 10 mins, and ive seen like all 40 episodes, thats like 7 hours ive watched of this, holy crap lol

I love these but the format drives me up a fucking wall. The way they sneak ads and subscription/comment begs up on you with the quick cuts and the pacing, but they're short so you can't tap to skip ahead because you'll skip into the actual content. I have never been so simultaneously entertained and pissed off as these make me for that reason. I'd almost prefer genuine midroll ads lol

That said, also watch the stuntperson ones, everyone!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
The whole giant squid scene from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

tumblr_p7a9vmk12o1wzypxlo2_500.gifv

Because even when something is a puppet, it's still real, and still manages to look better than some green screen cartoon version.

I love practical effects. Even when they're obvious puppetry or other effects, there's still the 'real' factor.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because even when something is a puppet, it's still real, and still manages to look better than some green screen cartoon version.

I love practical effects. Even when they're obvious puppetry or other effects, there's still the 'real' factor.

ive heard a saying,

puppets feel fake but look real, and alot of the time CG looks real but feels fake

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017

Love these videos so much. Always super excited to see a new one come up.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017

This shit is infuriating to watch.

I'll subscribe to your channel the moment you stop asking me too. Not only are you interrupting your video and ruining your content in the process but you're also insulting my intelligence by assuming I don't know what the fucking subscribe button is for.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
This shit is infuriating to watch.

I'll subscribe to your channel the moment you stop asking me too. Not only are you interrupting your video and ruining your content in the process but you're also insulting my intelligence by assuming I don't know what the fucking subscribe button is for.
All the data shows that asking people to subscribe improves the rate at which viewers subscribe, though.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek:TMP (1979)had some good ones

TintedPoshFalcon-size_restricted.gif

ST2(1982) Genesis sequence, one of the first uses of CGI I think.

BigDistantIchidna-size_restricted.gif

HollowDangerousGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I still think The Mummy holds up pretty well:

Ditto Independence Day (although they used a lot more practical effects on that one):

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the really early stuff like that stained glass scene in Young Sherlock Holmes and the sparring scene in Dune still look really cool, if not because they're impressive then just because they used the limits really well and had a really weird aesthetic.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before: Todd Vaziri (Disney/ILM) is constantly instructional. He also loves movie effects in any form that gets the job done, not this practical is always better than digital idea. He always skewers any movie that brags about how little CGI they used.

The boat and tank is miniature raised *above* the actors heads.

I don't get everything that is going on here, but notice at :17 as he climbs through the door the rushing water is rear projection and they sell it with the bits of paper blowing around and then one real burst of water.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone interested in matte paintings and oldschool VFX should check out this documentary about Peter Ellenshaw

For example, he was responsible for the forced perspective shots in Darby O'gill

HWM6rvR.jpg

It's crazy that this was all done in camera.

Last edited: