• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
To jump off another thread but not using a known pedophile's work as the basis (because fuck Michael Jackson), there's some discussion to be had about how fucking amazing older music videos can look if they were shot on film and properly restored to HD or, even better, 4K.

Most people only have seen these music videos in their pre-HD, VHS-level masters that played endlessly on MTV or VH1 (or hell even on YouTube to this day) so this is a sort of showcase to show the sometimes stunning results one can get if the film elements for these still exist and are properly restored to HD/4K.

First up is the one a lot of people mention (we've even had a thread about it before) is Wham!'s Last Christmas:

And while it's not quite as pretty, there's a-ha's Take On Me:

There are more examples you can find on YouTube but the problem is that some of the videos are listed as "HD" but are sometimes HD upscales using SD sources.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

film can do amazing things

i wish so much stuff wasnt trapped on tapes. we've lost so much just because of that

edit this video is a really great example because it keeps cutting to this stop motion stuff that is clearly lower quality so its a night and day difference

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Thank God they invested in actually filming on film (sorry) instead of tape. It's especially nice to see all those optical effects on the Take on Me video.
Thankfully film scanning is cheap enough nowadays to allow these remasters to exist.

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Good as time as ever to bring up Tom Scott's video on why some "HD" music videos look bad.

Yup, I mentioned this in the OP. While you get stuff like the Wham! video you still get lazy upscales that are the equivalent to a highschooler cranking up the saturation and blur filters and claim their video has been "REMASTERED."

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
The Beatles HD remasters they made a few years ago were really great.

Indeed.

Their videos out of most other musicians are an insane time capsule.

never seen/heard this one before. Annie Lennox is crazy talented.

Definitely have heard this song, but I have never seen the video. She loves putting men in drag in her videos, eh.

Had this in my favorites for awhile and one day re-watching it it was suddenly 4k:

Where can I get this vintage shirt?

screenshot2020-08-15a8vjvl.png

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The Who uploaded this in 4K last year (filmed on May 25, 1978). Legendary songs, awesome performance.

"This footage was originally filmed for Jeff Stein's quintessential documentary The Kids Are Alright. The songs they performed were the now-timely anthems Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again.

Tragically, this was the last time the band would ever perform in its original form, as Keith Moon died several months later, on September 7, 1978."

Last edited: