• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Early 40s when I was constantly going to the toilet to pee. Wifey pleaded for me to see a doctor.
Thank God I did as they caught my early stages of type 2 diabetes.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I'm 29, had 2 knee surgeries and a herniated disc in the last 3 years so I'm not holding up so well.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been wearing corrective lenses since I was 5 years old, so then I guess. Things suck more the older you get though, can confirm. I'm 50 as of early this year.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Late 30s. Basically what you can eat. I use to be able to eat spicy food like nothing and now even slightly hotter than siracha kills me. Also I never had allergies but now I have to take Zyrtec like everyday.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I used to add to a calendar the last time I dunked a basketball. Like "today I dunked" in google cal. One day, when I was 31 it was the last time I dunked and then was never able to again.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 31, became nearsighted in high school, perfect vision still with correction though. Always been built to put on weight and that hasn't changed much, still work out pretty consistently to stay in decent shape. Hairline is still fine, though my hair itself has thinned a little. Whenever I shave, I start getting carded when buying alcohol.(Though even without shaving I still get carded quite often)

The 2 biggest things that keep you looking young as a man are hairline and not being noticeably overweight so I am doing all right there.

none of that back/knee/ shoulder pain a lot of people my age start complaining about though

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
My hairline went to shit during the pandemic, and I do blame the pandemic

I injure myself all the time working out now, too. It's hard to accept limitations brought on by age.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
My body started betraying me at 32. Chronic back pain, which lead to increased mental health issues, then constant tinnitus at 34 which launched my mild ADHD into the stratosphere.

Anything else and I don't think I'll be able to cope.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Turning 37 at the end of the month.

Constant achy back is the worst of it I think so far. That and random issues that crop up. Can still go outside and play basketball for like an hour or so and feel good, so that's a plus.

mrndkra

Oct 25, 2017
Hernia repair at 26. Two hip surgeries at 28. Dealing with nerve issues in my right lower back side and hip still so that's the next thing to get looked at. Definitely not doing so hot right now. It all went to shit overnight too basically.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Late 20s my lower back said fuck you. A decade and a half of sitting in front of a computer with extremely poor posture combined with strenuous manual labor to make a living has left me in a great spot. I'm 32 and it takes my back a good half hour to warm up to a functional state when I wake up. The future is bright lol

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
40. I was in good shape and then popped my knee and tore my MCL while cutting the grass.

Doctors recommended letting it heal on its own and it took forever. When I tried to run I was in a ton of pain and it messed up my back for awhile.

Really had to tone it down working out after 40. I can still work out but not like an animal.

And people tell me 50 is worse...

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
late 30s and got diagnosed with high blood pressure this year so that was a big one.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Gums have started receding and I hate it, feel like it doesn't matter how much I take care of my teeth I can't stop it getting worse.

You might be brushing too hard. This was happening to me and my dentist cautioned me against vigorous brushing. I got a super soft toothbrush and gum healing toothpaste, adopted a gentler technique. My gums bounced back significantly.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
Turned 40 last year and the biggest change is that I have to warm up my body before doing any physical activity I'm not used to.

During the pandemic I started doing my commute to work by bike instead of public transportation, so I'm in the best shape I've been ever.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 34 but feeling pretty okay. Definitely can't work out as hard as I could in my 20s but I was absolutely nuts with my conditioning back then. I can still grind out good workouts but I need way more sleep now to recover. So I do it less.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how I look, but I'm definitely no longer in the best shape of my life.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Early 20s - libido basically died

Mid 20s - gastrointestinal issues. can barely eat anything anymore without it making me feel awful in one way or another

Late 20s - right shoulder and back can both get injured really really easily now. one (small) wrong move and they're in constant pain for at least a few weeks.

30 - attack of the eye floaters and also cuts take longer to heal

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
40 is a cliff when it comes to things like this. Little aches and pains are now bigger aches and pains. Taking more medicine than I ever had to in my 30s. I've heard 50 is even worse of a cliff.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
knee probs began mid 20's. back age 30 almost on the dot my back went out for the first time and found out i've got a herniated disc. Mid to late 30's finally noticed I am moving much more slowly than I did when I was young, feel physically "old" for the first time in my life. 40 almost on the dot, urinary probs. Can't complain though, many folks my age are doing much worse.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
eye sight getting worse. chronic back/shoulder pain. became sensitive to caffeine out of nowhere.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest thing for me now (at 38) is mostly healing speed and how crackly my knees are.

Knees are from soccer, so not too surprised given that abuse. They don't hurt or anything, just make noise.
Healing speed is just that I don't bounce back quite as fast. My hangovers are awwwwful now though and take less to trigger, age + HRT double whammy there. Like I can easily get one if I don't hydrate sufficiently even if I barely get buzzed.

Otherwise I'm not too far off what I was at 25. Eyesight has been consistent since hitting adulthood to the point my script hasn't changed in a decade, weight has never been an issue (pre HRT I capped out at ~182 at 5'11" at two points in my life, technically right at 'Overweight' line but I had a lot of lean muscle going on, dropped down 20+ lbs since Jan 1st, 2020), still 0 cavities lifetime (genetics more than anything). My memory is still strong, have managed to avoid carpel tunnel, and so on. Less endurance but I could probably fix that with some active training. Cholesterol still good, BP is down from peak (even pre HRT).

My back has done a Benjamin Button - was bad from get go in 20s, then somewhat better via better chairs and bed, then about 4 years ago I threw it out playing soccer. Throwing it out was the best thing ever for it apparently since I was forced to properly care for it and in the years since it's felt better than it ever has as an adult. For soccer I took up a better warm up/cool down regiment (that helped all over), worked on posture, and our bed continues to work wonders (extra firm natural latex, thank goodness my wife likes that bed too 'cause it'll last us 30 years).

HRT has thrown a bit of a wrench in some aspects but aside from peeing a bit more it's been great on my health. I'm wondering if my reduction in eye floaters could even be linked.

So all told I have feel pretty happy. Hopefully I got mostly my maternal grandfather's longevity genes - man retired at 55 and lived to 102 doing fuck all physically. Didn't lose any of his mental capacity til he was nearing 100 and could walk up til near the end.

Edit: Guess I'll add Tinnitus last year, which I've mostly come to live with. Seemed to be brought on by stress (or non-zero chance of COVID infection in Feb 2020) and then transformed by eustachian tube misbehavior after going on HRT. Thankfully I've learned to manage with it and it's more annoying than troublesome.

Last edited:

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
37 now. Lactose intolerance in my 20's. Gluten intolerance in my 30's. Body also decided it can't handle cruciferous vegetables anymore.

ALLERGIES! Never bothered me before, but in my 30's I'm miserable with various allergy-related head problems about 60% of the time.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I'm 34. My hips hurt now after exceptionally long/hard days of work. It sucks.

Also I had to finally stop skateboarding because I kept throwing my back out.

The first time my body really turned against me was when I just turned 30. I was still living in NYC. My knee completely gave out on me, just from walking around the city too much with flat shoes (Chucks style). It was fully blown out. Going up and down subway stairs was a nightmare. I had to hold onto the railing and painfully hobble up or down as if I was fucking 80 years old. Simply getting insoles for my shoes solved the problem and my knee recovered.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this sounds like lactose intolerance.
I drink lactose-free milk, and I do so all the time without any issue. It's really when I seem to consume olive oil or some other type of oil. Drinking the milk after the fact, I'm unsure if that's a factor. But milk alone isn't.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I have so many massager now...hell I just bought one yesterday, a theragun mini since I get sore all the time.

The first thing that went is the weight. Can't eat anything without getting fatter, but I don't wanna be a vegetarian:(

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I'm 42 and fitter than ever but I am so stiff in the mornings and have to actively work to just maintain mobility. Age will get us all.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was 9...at primary school during some.playgtound football , I finally managed to convince someone to pass to me as I had an open goal in front of me....it was a simple tap in and I could see it perfectly in my minds eye.

For some reason my leg did something completely different and the ball spun off the top of my foot, miles away from the goal.

My body has consistently betrayed me ever since.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I'm in my late thirties and it's the vision. Frustrating as it's near sightedness.

I did start wavering on fitness and strength but, honestly, I've found eating relatively well and training makes it feel like I'm turning back the clock. Of course, the thresholds I'm comparing to have probably shifted a bit.

Oh... Hair sprouting. That's annoying. I've always been a bit of a fur ball but I need an industrial strength machine to sort out my nose and ears...

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't old when my body betrayed me. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at 22, an illness that pretty much stole my best years away from me.

I adapted and learned to live with it, but it's sucks.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Energy in the morning. Up to age 36 or so I could go out drinking with the boys, get four hours sleep, and be golden. Now I need eight hours sleep, a cup of coffee, and a good thirty minutes acclimating in my chair before I can even think. When I was 25 I'd be jogging five minutes after waking up.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Right around 40...upper back pain from a childhood injury returned and brought a burning pain that went down my spine. Then my legs became weaker and weaker. Slowly found it harder and harder to stand for any extended period until I spent almost a year stuck at home/physical therapy while doctors tried to figure out what was going on. Turned out that my initial injury had never quite healed properly and I was the lucky winner of spinal stenosis.

Dealing with the reduced mobility has led to a few other complications but am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'll probably never be able to walk without some of device again though. Not a fan of turning 40, would not recommend

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to the usual getting older thingies: My hair went first. Balding sucks. Kids think it's funny and most women want a man with a full head of hair.
Then my sight got slightly worse. I use glasses to read now. But my eyes also don't work so well together anymore. And no glasses help with that.
Now my metabolism. When i look at something i'd like to eat i'm already gaining weight and belly. I'm getting slower. And i'm starting to forget things more often. Hair (that what is left) is turning grey. Hangovers take a bit longer to wear out.

Then there are the non ageing betrays: specific diseases that just pop up out of nowhere. Hodgkin disease, in my case, when i was 30.
Lots of chemo, lots of radiation. On a positive note: i did get my Vaccine sooner than most people of my age-group.

Anyway, i hope to be able to go to the gym soon again. I'm going to try and work out 3 times a week and also continue the hiking i'm doing on a regular basis during covid.

Last edited: