• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I was the same then as I am now so very much the complete opposite of a jerk.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Almost 37. And oh yea, I did a lot of dumb shit. Thankfully I learned from all of it, but still. I would kick my own ass if I could go back in time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
nah

i did theater a lot and played magic the gathering during lunch and was a big fat

not that much has changed

Oct 28, 2017
I was never a jerk. We all did stupid things but jerk not me. Once I embraced me around 15 or 16, I was cool as the other side of the pillow.

I was on the chess team. I used to bomb trains and freestyle on rooftops and chase girls all around the city. No time to be a jerk. I used to fight alot in high school. Not because I was a bully, people thought they could bully me cause I was silly. I win every fight but I fought them all.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nah. I was a pretty shy, introverted teen, yet had a lot of friends in high school. It was weird. I just kind of got along with everyone, and am a pretty easy going, affable guy. Or so I've been told. I like to make people happy, and see people happy. I'm not a mean-spirited person, and wasn't even during my angsty teenage years.

Sometimes, I think that's because I went to a high school that specialized in the arts (music instruments, music vocalists, theater, dance, visual arts; I was a visual arts major), and while we had the usual cliques, and of course some bullies, as well as typical teenage drama, looking back, it was a really interesting school. Despite slotting into different "cliques" like "goths, punks, jocks, nerds, popular, etc," everyone was at that school because of their love/passion for the arts. So there was this weird kind of "mutual respect" across the majors that minimized a lot of the usual friction among peers that I experienced in, say, middle school.

We all ended up kind of bonding over our shared majors, regardless of our larger "social hierarchy" within the school. It was like, "Oh, you're an artist, too? Fucking cool, let's hang out and draw." As a slightly related example, one of my best friends back then, who was part of me and my friend's "nerd circle", dated one of my other best friends, who happened to be the prettiest and most popular girl in our school (she was actually voted "most popular" and "prettiest girl in school" senior year lol), because one, he was an awesome guy, and two, fuck could he sing. He has an incredible voice, still to this day. It was one of those things where that mutual admiration and love for the arts had different social circles interacting and becoming friends with one another, thus allowing people to actually get to know one another and form genuine relationships, where I imagine in other types of school environments the popular kid would get made fun of for hanging out and interacting with the geeky "losers." A lot of us still keep in contact over social media and catch up, since at this point, a lot of us don't live in the same city anymore and can't physically get together like we used to.

I think that environment overall shaped how I was as a teenager along with my mom being awesome and doing her best to not raise kids that lacked empathy and compassion. I try to carry that with me, even now that I'm in my 40's, and the world is doing its damnedest to make us all a little more selfish, cynical, and jaded.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Not really. I was just cripplingly awkward and cringey and said/did a lot of stupid things for attention.

Apr 25, 2020
I was a bit of an Atheist jerk, especially on social media. Every 2nd or 3rd status update was railing against religion in some form or another. I grew out of that sort of proselytizing thankfully (ironic).

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At times yeah. I succumbed to peer pressure too often in HS, which is not many times in total but still too many. To my parents I was way too ungrateful and I didn't appreciate my elder relatives until it was too late.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I held really shitty and awful beliefs but I don't know if "jerk" is the right word to describe it. I was more just like a teenage version of Ned Flanders with a secret 4chan vice or something.

When I was like 19-21 I did some pretty shitty things that I do regret and would be better categorized as being a "jerk" than anything I did during the few years proceeding that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, I was extremely shy and avoided interacting with people at all costs

I was raised Republican so I had some fucked up beliefs growing up but I kept them to myself

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah......to a lot of people, thinking I was being funny, tough, or cool but just insufferable even to little kids. I actively cringe at the stuff I did.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Nope, but I was fake as all hell. Helped make it easier to get along with literally everyone I met. Then around sophomore year In high school I fell in with the group I've friends I've kept ever since and basically just stopped caring about what anyone else thought entirely... it was a nice change.

If anything, I'm way more of a jerk now than I ever was back then.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was reflecting on this a few days ago. I did and said a lot of dumb stuff as a kid that I wish I could take back, nothing crazy but little things that I would never consider today.

I was also kind of a bully and was thinking how I'd like to apologize to anyone I was an ass to if I ever had the chance.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I was pretty quiet and generally a nice person but there were times where I had anger problems. I was a late bloomer maturity wise, I don't think I really 'grew up' till my mid 20s.

Dec 2, 2017
I was. But I was also quite badly abused and bullied, both at home and school, so I thought at the time that my being the worlds biggest dick bag was entirely justified, which is just fucking abhorrent. I didn't see how wrong I was and how much of a disgusting dick bag I was until my early 20s

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "older" but I'm late 20's so well past my teen years.

I was pretty decent as a teenager, actually; most of my little shit years were during elementary school. I even made my 4th grade teacher cry once (although I no longer remember why) and another time in 5th I recall passing notes w/ a friend in class talking about how our substitute was a bitch and she caught us and took the note. I feel real bad about that now, especially cuz that sub teacher ended up as one of my english teachers in HS, and by then I was much more mature and understood she wasn't awful at all, only mildly strict. Me and that teacher reconciled no problem, but I still regret how I acted when I was younger. :(

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I wasn't explicitly rude to other people, but I was miserable, insular, and caused my mum no end of trouble. When my parents got divorced I was 16/17, and I spent the next few years shirking my studies, drinking, and all the other textbook behaviours you associate with disaffected teens.

These days I'm pretty grounded and happy, but while I had time for anyone who could push past my moody exterior as a teenager, today I'm much quicker to cut ties with people who I deem as wasting my time. I really don't suffer stupid people these days either - like, at all.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I was.
But I also feel like everyone around me was a much bigger jerk.

Teenagers are jerks.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I was a nice and shy boy who was always hiding and making sure never to hurt anyone.

It's now that i am a jerk. I just don't give a fuck anymore.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I was pretty okay, but pretty emotionally underdeveloped. I would dispense excellent advice to people, and collapse all the time when it came to my own life.

Dec 31, 2017
Not an asshole per se, but I was a moron who though he knew better than others and was already an adult at like 16 and held very questionable views. Lots and lots of growth has happened since then haha.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Somewhat. I was very much a social outcast straddling the line of acceptance and unfortunately I do recall being an ass to those similar to me on the social ladder for fear of me falling lower. High school is shit.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think I was a jerk throughout the entirety of my teens, but I do think I was a serious jerk while I was in college.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I was a rebellious teenager like many, but not a total jerk. I was bullied by high school kids when I was in middle school so I made it a point not to do the same. Bullies are the worst.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of, but more horribly miserable. Pretty insular, stereotypical neckbeardy kid. Didn't look after myself well and could have easily seen that version of me slipping into incel/alt right territory due to being bullied and having a chip on my shoulder about the world. Once I got to uni decided to stop being that person and so glad I did.