• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Was Duelist Soul the one on GBA where you ran around a town map and interacted with the YuGiOh cast JRPG style?

That one ruled.

There was another GBA one that was just dueling and nothing else which I loved as a kid but I'm not sure how much it would hold up now.

The only other Yu-Gi-Oh game I remember playing was a Gamecube one set in ancient times that was completely incomprehensible to me. I played it for about 15 minutes and ended up trading it to a kid on my street for Skies of Arcadia.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Duel Links killed my nostalgia for any of these. It's just a flat out massive upgrade to all of them, even the weird SRPG hybrid.

I see Duel Links as an entirely different thing. They're 15 years apart, design-wise: the progression to acquire card simply feels completely different with updates and changes in the meta compared to the old games focused on SP campaigns.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
They were good because you could get all the cards without microtransactions. Can't see that happening in this day and age

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still shocked that the GBC games were one of the best selling titles in the gameboy. Never thought the game/anime was that popular back then

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The Eternal Duelist Soul remains my absolute favorite YGO game ever. God I put so many hours on that game and the Japanese version had some different sound effects and graphics here and there, played both the US and JP releases because some friends had family in Japan and they'd get games from there.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I loved The Eternal Duelest Soul, I remember how happy I was when I was able to transfer my best physical cards into the game via entering their card codes.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
The Sacred Cards and Eternal Duelist Soul were my childhood games. So was Reshef of Destruction but I remember that game being very difficult for some reason.

Yes me as well. Those three you mentioned, plus Dungeon dice monsters on GBA as well. I also played one of the yugioh GX story based games. One of those series I don't think about a lot these days but when I look back on my childhood they were my absolute favorites .

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Forbidden Memories is awesome and it has some really cool mods as well.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yu-Gi-Oh still the only card video games I enjoy playing (not the current newer online games obv ruined), now I wanna play Yu-Gi-Oh Power of Chaos on PC again, the PSP ones were great too

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I have a weird soft spot for YuGiOh GX Duel Academy.

I know it's terrible, but I just love it so much! It's a shame it's the only """explorable""" version of Duel Academy in any game as I always thought that setting was kinda interesting and weird.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't mention the best one. 7 Trials to Glory/Day of the Duelist on the GBA.

Hell yeah. I love this one. Though the AI is easily gamed (if you have a Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon who already attacked and a 100 ATK monster who hasn't, the AI will 100% target your 100 ATK monster with stuff like Man Eater Bug)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The gbc game was trash based upon the old rules of ygo and not the much better modern rules later games used.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The tag force games are underrated imo

The best thing about the Tag Force games were card album that had full clean artworks of every single card in the game, which made for an awesome art gallery.

It's bad enough the recent Yugioh games such as Legacy of the Duelist put an ugly watermark on all of the card arts in the game. As if anyone was going to rip the artwork from the game. If folks wanted the artwork from the cards, they can easily go to one of the Yu-Gi-Oh Wikis can take all the high res scans they want for the picking.

Still my first experience with a YGO game was Dawn of Destiny on the original Xbox which was based on the TCG rulings.

I know a lot of folks found Forbidden Memories enjoyable, but I prefer the games that essentially follow the official rules of the card game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
That's what I'm talking about. It was especially awesome if you played the actual TCG as it came with the badass Spell card, Harpie's Feather Duster.

...which I think is actually banned/forbidden according to official TCG rules nowadays.

Harpie's Feather Duster has the honour of being one of the only 3 cards to have never left the banlist since it was invented circa 2004.

Badass indeed lol

Oct 25, 2017
Duellists of the Roses was legit a spectacular game, it was such a different take on the IP and it paid off imo, you could tell it was a total passion project too. Running a fairy type deck was super fun! It's still crazy to me that they made unique attacks for every card in the game.

I also loved the GX psp games, the campaign and relationship building system were a lot of fun.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah, Yugioh games were my favorite way to enjoy the card game. I tried playing it in person/online but it wasn't really my thing. My favorite way of enjoying the game is just going through a storyline, getting new cards and shit. Pity we don't have games like that anymore. We have that one steam game, but from what I heard it's not really that good in the story sense and it has absurdly expensive DLC.

My favorite ones were the Duel Academy one for the GBA(based on GX, when you could advance through the academy's rankings and all that with quizzes and stuff) and the 5Ds one that featured the world championship. It was super fun because the story was dumb as hell, but it had some neat setups like making you duel 3 people in a row, follow anime speed dueling rules sometimes, and a bunch of silly shit that made growing your character feel super fun.

Also always gonna have a soft spot for Eternal Duelist Soul because it was my first Yugioh game and it's what taught me how the card game actually worked haha.

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
Such nostalgia! The Eternal Duelist Soul was my first video game ever. I played the absolute crap out of it. I think I still have the 3 cards that came with the game.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying to play through the PSX game and it being borderline impossible, haha. Never finished it.

Oct 25, 2017
Who doesn't enjoy a trip back in time to save Egypt?

Forbidden Memories is one of my favorite meme speedrun type of games. Watching streamers play it for 12 hours in the hopes that they get a megamorph or two is amazing.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the ps1 game was fun
But you know what was my favorite?

This garbage game , Yu-Gi-Oh the falsehood kingdom. but I fucking loved it
220px-Yu-Gi-Oh%21_The_Falsebound_Kingdom_Cover.png

I remember, I had the choice to buy Pokemon collisium or this...and I choose this game cause it came with 3 cards LMFAO

> Start playing it and I'm so fucking confused, this ain't Yu-Gi-Oh, what the hell is this
> Pretends to know what I was doing until I kept getting my ass kicked by some low level NPCs
> Saif fuck this game and didn't touch it for another 2 years

But then 2 years later it finally clicked for me, they made Yu-Gi-Oh into an turn based RTS game with this LMAO but yeah ended up finally understanding it and fucking loved it even if it was so unusual...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see Duel Links as an entirely different thing. They're 15 years apart, design-wise: the progression to acquire card simply feels completely different with updates and changes in the meta compared to the old games focused on SP campaigns.

They're all in their own little Yugi microcosm of metas and stuff, but Duel Links has the benefit of being both portable (or not) and touch controlled. Why ever go back to GBA or PSP, for instance? And because they're following the standard format, the matches take twice as long. Something like the PSone and PS2 games, I kind of get, since they're a little crazy.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The GBA game is great, but the current F2P game, Dual Links, is actually pretty good. It's half-format playstyle is faster paced and with the ability to buy pre-built decks with in-game currency, it's pretty easy to get up and running.

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017

The music was so good too. Very thankful that Duel Links has some great music too; Konami's still got it.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Oh man, Forbidden Memories was my shit. I used to play it all the time with my sister when I was a kid. It did indeed have an amazing soundtrack and I was just about to search for the link to the exact same piece in the OP lol. Man, I loved that game.

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
The only good one mentioned by OP was The Eternal Duelist Soul. What a game. I played it to exhaustion. Probrably my mostly played GBA game of all time.

I hate Forbidden Memories. As a YGO game, it does not make any sense.

Currently we have Legacy of the Duelists, which will have a new version this year, on Switch, with link summoning from Vrains.

I am hyped for it. Lecacy of the Duelists is the better ygo game. It reminds me of The Eternal Duelist Soul.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have not played a Yugi game since the GBA games and those on the PC all those years back, there was always the question if the one coming out was good or not.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Forgotten Memories was abysmal, but there are quite a few good ones, yeah. I miss their annual releases :(

Dungeon Dice Monsters is probably the best one, which is somewhat ironic.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Forbidden Memories...I'd like to keep those memories forbidden.

That game caused me as a kid to cry. Fuck that game.

I'd recommend Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Over the Nexus

84a94e7b12f647c2994591b8e63022de.jpg

Features a story mode in 3D.

8FRri0f.jpg

Create a custom character in 3D and 2D with lots of options. (Not mine)

Tons of AI duelist.
Tons of cards.

Just a great game.

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forbidden Memories was awful and made no sense if you were used to the actual card game. Sacred Cards was cool.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
The Eternal Duelist Soul was my childhood.

I played through it a few years ago too. Still holds up

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Harpie's Feather Duster has the honour of being one of the only 3 cards to have never left the banlist since it was invented circa 2004.

Badass indeed lol
I correctly guessed that one of the other 3 was Yatagarasu, but I'm kind of shocked the third wasn't pot of greed considering it might actually be the single most busted card in the entire game even though it wouldn't seem like it to beginners

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Forbidden Memories was a game you could grind for hours with its groovy music. It was a RNG fiesta but when that Meteor B. Dragon finally dropped you felt unstoppable.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I like that they had some production value but the card game itself was extremely bleh back then.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I only played a yugioh-gx game, that had like day/night cycle and random fights and stuff, really enjoyed it but dont think I ever beat it