• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Dream could have came out, owned up to it, we could have a conversation about this entire thing and people would have moved on. But no.

Lol just like when he was caught cheating his Minecraft speedrun and denied, denied, denied for like a year meanwhile his followers attacked people who were only trying to expose the truth
He let that go on for a full year before finally owning up to it but not really as he basically wound up going with the Clara excuse

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I knew the KKK were bad as a child. They were and ARE in the same camp as Nazis to me.
Also, the Nazis took inspiration from KKK.
rbm7c9weiiwmxmklirbn.png

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of dumb things that teenagers do. When I was 16, I was obsessed with listening to and hanging out in the communities of these horrible prank callers who would convince people to break out hotel windows, and would usually yell racial slurs at them in a very aggressive way when they realized that they had been pranked into doing something horrible. At the time, I was extremely depressed, and justified listening to that stuff as well as using horrible slurs as "just trying to get a rise out of people by using the most upsetting words", something I could have only done with the immense privilege I had been afforded as a white person who didn't have to think about how things that I said and did made other people feel because I had no frame of reference for how awful they could be. I now find it completely unthinkable to listen to that kind of stuff, or to have used racial slurs at all, but being around people like that online made me think it was okay and even normal Internet behavior. The Internet was a pretty bad place back then, and to be honest, still is.

I'm not trying to defend it as it is still terrible, but I think a bit more nuance is needed when you're talking about things people do at that age, and there have been many opportunities for him to grow up and realize that what he did was wrong and inexcusable. People have to be given room to grow up and realize that they're wrong. People grow up in different circumstances, different environments, and sometimes they're also surrounded by shitty people who tell them that it's okay to do monstrous things. I don't like the way that people are pretending here as if they were entirely above ever doing anything horrific at that type of age. I don't know about y'all, but when I was 16, I was pretty lacking in empathy and introspection, and finding other groups online of people who were similarly lacking in empathy and introspection led me down a pretty dark path that I didn't really understand the darkness of until I had distanced myself from that stuff and learned a lot of things that I hadn't known before. This is just personal, but I don't really hold people to task for things that they did prior to 21 at this point, because I've known a lot of people who didn't really "grow up" until well after. I don't really talk to anyone who I knew from that time in my life, but the few that I have run into over the years who also listened to the same prank callers almost all express extreme regret and frustration with their ignorance at the time.

Now that I've learned a lot more, I can look back on that period as a bunch of weird adults I was hanging out with online trying to radicalize me into insane right-wing ideology by normalizing it through making me think that it was just "edgy humor". It really freaks me out, because they legitimately had me thinking dumb things like that the words I was using were "just offensive words", but also they absolutely played on me being a bullied teenager who wanted a way to lash back out at people.

What is more concerning to me is that he's pretending that it didn't happen. He should own his mistake and take the opportunity to properly apologize for it, not try to scuttle it. That kind of reaction makes me wonder if he still holds these kinds of views, because I think someone who said or did bad things but had honestly changed would take the chance to clarify that.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's always interesting how a certain group of people believe with complete certainty that everyone was posting racist and abusive things on the internet as teenagers as if it's completely normal.
Can we have someone who was racist at 16 the age of 16 comment on this? We need to know if one can change.

Thanks.
You know, these threads would probably go a lot better if multiple 📽️ s didn't like, come out of the woodwork to say "Hey hey, I was a POS as a teenager. Take it easy guys." Which always involves ignoring the part where the person the thread is about is straight up still a POS. One that happens to have a huge platform and a metric fuckton of followers.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate commentary in a thread concerning bigotry. Ban updated in light of appeal
Who knows what his mental health was at that time. Illness, insecurity, etc, all manifest differently in different people. You're not always your best self when you're not feeling well, and the human brain is not even fully developed in most people until their mid-20s. Some people are wired in a way where they handle it better than others. But that disposition is, itself, a privilege.

He should just acknowledge he was struggling with some things and they don't reflect who he really was after growth and introspection. And then move on. All I know of this guy is that his current tweets (the one posted in this thread with 100k likes) says to love all people. So if that's the message he's sending now -- good.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Who knows what his mental health was at that time. Illness, insecurity, etc, all manifest differently in different people. You're not always your best self when you're not feeling well, and the human brain is not even fully developed in most people until their mid-20s. Some people are wired in a way where they handle it better than others. But that disposition is, itself, a privilege.

He should just acknowledge he was struggling with some things and they don't reflect who he really was after growth and introspection. And then move on. All I know of this guy is that his current tweets (the one posted in this thread with 100k likes) says to love all people. So if that's the message he's sending now -- good.

Without commenting on the actually Dream post by OP, but almost every person who has internet fame, including racists always posts things like that. Saying things like spread love, I love all people ect... it is virtually meaningless.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Without commenting on the actually Dream post by OP, but almost every person who has internet fame, including racists always posts things like that. Saying things like spread love, I love all people ect... it is virtually meaningless.
I agree we can't know what's really in his heart. But at the end of the day, the concern is whether he's a positive or negative influence on his massive fanbase. And if his modern-day messaging to them has consistently been to love all people, then I don't see the harm he presently poses, as he is actively appealing to people's better angels now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did you miss the other tweet that I posted that where he outright states that he uses his huge platform to harass people into setting their twitter accounts to private? Or....any of these:
FQBhNpQXIAMqU1h

FQBhOdoXMAUSnrh

FQSnjZLXoAMnK8Z

Like, he's still a POS who uses the "I can't control my fans" excuse while literally directly encouraging his fans to harass people. 😬

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Did you miss the other tweet that I posted that where he outright states that he uses his huge platform to harass people into setting their twitter accounts to private? Or....any of these:
FQBhNpQXIAMqU1h

FQBhOdoXMAUSnrh

FQSnjZLXoAMnK8Z

Like, he's still a POS. 😬
No, I did not see these. All I saw was the one tweet about loving people regardless of gender, race, identity, etc. I never even heard of this guy before today. I was just giving a benefit of the doubt based on his age, his unknown struggles, and the one modern tweet I'd seen. Thanks for sharing this, tho.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of dumb things that teenagers do. When I was 16, I was obsessed with listening to and hanging out in the communities of these horrible prank callers who would convince people to break out hotel windows, and would usually yell racial slurs at them in a very aggressive way when they realized that they had been pranked into doing something horrible. At the time, I was extremely depressed, and justified listening to that stuff as well as using horrible slurs as "just trying to get a rise out of people by using the most upsetting words", something I could have only done with the immense privilege I had been afforded as a white person who didn't have to think about how things that I said and did made other people feel because I had no frame of reference for how awful they could be. I now find it completely unthinkable to listen to that kind of stuff, or to have used racial slurs at all, but being around people like that online made me think it was okay and even normal Internet behavior. The Internet was a pretty bad place back then, and to be honest, still is.

I'm not trying to defend it as it is still terrible, but I think a bit more nuance is needed when you're talking about things people do at that age, and there have been many opportunities for him to grow up and realize that what he did was wrong and inexcusable. People have to be given room to grow up and realize that they're wrong. People grow up in different circumstances, different environments, and sometimes they're also surrounded by shitty people who tell them that it's okay to do monstrous things. I don't like the way that people are pretending here as if they were entirely above ever doing anything horrific at that type of age. I don't know about y'all, but when I was 16, I was pretty lacking in empathy and introspection, and finding other groups online of people who were similarly lacking in empathy and introspection led me down a pretty dark path that I didn't really understand the darkness of until I had distanced myself from that stuff and learned a lot of things that I hadn't known before. This is just personal, but I don't really hold people to task for things that they did prior to 21 at this point, because I've known a lot of people who didn't really "grow up" until well after. I don't really talk to anyone who I knew from that time in my life, but the few that I have run into over the years who also listened to the same prank callers almost all express extreme regret and frustration with their ignorance at the time.

Now that I've learned a lot more, I can look back on that period as a bunch of weird adults I was hanging out with online trying to radicalize me into insane right-wing ideology by normalizing it through making me think that it was just "edgy humor". It really freaks me out, because they legitimately had me thinking dumb things like that the words I was using were "just offensive words", but also they absolutely played on me being a bullied teenager who wanted a way to lash back out at people.

What is more concerning to me is that he's pretending that it didn't happen. He should own his mistake and take the opportunity to properly apologize for it, not try to scuttle it. That kind of reaction makes me wonder if he still holds these kinds of views, because I think someone who said or did bad things but had honestly changed would take the chance to clarify that.
So its bad that he's not being upfront about this, but also he was a teenager. I think it's nuts to treat mistakes you made when you were 15 or 16 years old as being what you are about as a 22 year old. Like yes its terrible that at 16 he thought that was a funny joke. The question is, as an adult now is that the type of joke he'd make. It seems unlikely. It really shouldn't matter what he did as a kid. Although to be fair, he does seem like a pretty awful person still wrt lying about the minecraft stuff.

sometimes when i see threads like this i have to wonder if people posting in them have ever been online before 2020?

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Dont know who this guy is, but can we not dig up shit people did when they were 16 and try to ruin their lives over it? Ty.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Stop excusing harrassment.
You should be telling that to Dream! He's the one who clearly needs to hear it since just a few days ago he was proudly justifying (not just excusing!) directing his followers to go harass someone off Twitter.

Dont know who this guy is, but can we not dig up shit people did when they were 16 and try to ruin their lives over it? Ty.
The guy has 29 million subscribers on his main YouTube channel; he isn't some random person people just decided to pick on for no reason, he's a terrible role model to the massive following of children who watch his Minecraft videos. Most importantly, his life isn't going to be ruined over resetera.com discussing this; get some perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Ah racism and it's associated iconography, something black kids have no choice but to learn and experience super young but it's merely a "harmless phase" white kids get to mess around with for the lulz.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm baffled at the amount of people coming to say "Hey he was a teenager and we make stupid mistakes during those times."

Bruh I was a stupid teenager, a really stupid teenager, and even I knew how bad the KKK and Nazis were/are. It doesn't take a fancy school to learn that. There is no reason why you would ever happily use their symbols or methods. Even during those teenage years.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding his "everyone is important" post, it doesn't mean anything. One of our banned members said something similar to it before they got outed as a MAGA chud.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Look if you're being caught doing this shit in the past, admit you were a fucking idiot, and have since grown up and become a better person. It's not like Nazis at 16 can't have a realisation and turn their lives around.

Panicking and denying things just makes the situation worse and makes it look like you are still into this shit. Young people, especially susceptible minds can be indoctrinated into this shit, buy they can also change their lives about, and they understandably try and hide their shameful past, because you know they're ashamed of who they were.

That's unless of course they still are into the KKK 🤔

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty funny to see everyone acting like they were so innocent at 16. Dream sucks for a variety of reasons, but vilifying him based on something he did when he was a kid is not fair.

I agree. It's also very well possible he's grown and understands shit like that is wrong now (Judging by his recent tweet anyways)... though I will say he should have just apologized and explained he was being a dumb kid, instead of trying to pretend it never happened.

Being upfront goes a long way to showing someone is genuinely different now.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Why all fucking YouTubers / streamers end up being trash, like fucking clockwork?

Also fucking tired of "I was 16 at the time". You are old enough to drive a fucking car. At 16 you are an adult.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
You know, these threads would probably go a lot better if multiple 📽️ s didn't like, come out of the woodwork to say "Hey hey, I was a POS as a teenager. Take it easy guys." Which always involves ignoring the part where the person the thread is about is straight up still a POS. One that happens to have a huge platform and a metric fuckton of followers.

Young followers to boot.

abby autopsy

Nov 24, 2020
lol at some people attempting to handwave this away as if everybody has a nazi phase at some point in their lives. Most people do not have nazi phases that is not normal

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Like a lot of teenagers my room was full of posters. You had Beyonce, Kanye West, Gorillaz, David Duke, Snow Patrol. The usual teenage stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
lol at some people attempting to handwave this away as if everybody has a nazi phase at some point in their lives. Most people do not have nazi phases that is not normal
It's all projection. Clearly some people would rather go down that route than actually do any self-reflection about them perhaps always having been in the wrong for being a piece of shit at that age. Attempting to normalize this as "just a phase teens go through" perhaps shows that they may not have learned much since!

Might be sad to hear for some, but i'm pretty dang certain that not every 16 year old in 2015 (when Dream was that age, he's 22 today) was spending their free time editing text like "OG THUGZ" over KKK pictures, or screeching out slurs on Xbox Live.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually remember, but I may have said or done some insensitive things out of ignorance or wanting to appear cool in my teens.
Acting like it's normal to sit and purposely edit a KKK video segment though, is very not normal.

At 16 you are old enough to reap the appropriate consequences for exhibiting such behavior. 16-23 is a sufficient enough gap for a person to change. But the fact that people can change, doesn't mean they have or will. Sometimes people don't change, sometimes they do, sometimes for the worse. Everyone deserves the benefit of doubt for these kinds of offenses when deemed past the statue of limitations, and in a way I suppose it's a good thing to assume the best of people, but in cases where that's not what's happening, it just gives cover for assholes. Which makes it kind of an annoying default reaction.

Undetermined how racist exactly this asshole is at this point in time, but he is obviously still an asshole with some changing left to do, with him refusing to even acknowledge his past shitty behavior and being busy adding fresh shit to the pile. He's obviously not "just a shitty teen."

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
FQBhNpQXIAMqU1h

FQBhOdoXMAUSnrh

FQSnjZLXoAMnK8Z

Like, he's still a POS who uses the "I can't control my fans" excuse while literally directly encouraging his fans to harass people. 😬
Damn, this dude must have been 16 for the past 7 years.