• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Used to think the big red ears on this wererat from FFVI as eyes. The eyes are actually yellow dots just above the mouth.
How?! He would be looking up instead of forward

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always thought Grahf's design is just bad in general. Look at his "neck". He can't even turn his head to the sides lol. Reminds me of Batman 1989.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I still cant unsee the fucking moon with a nose, Im convinced they did this on purpose.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I still cant unsee the fucking moon with a nose, Im convinced they did this on purpose.

The official anime artwork had it the other way 'round

011Metapod_OS_anime.png

Which Yellow borrowed

Spr_1y_011.png

It's hard to tell just how deliberate it was though, or if it was just a mistake on this artist's part. Gen 1 wasn't really set in stone for a while.

Aaron

Iā€™m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

011Metapod_OS_anime.png

Which Yellow borrowed

Spr_1y_011.png

It's hard to tell just how deliberate it was though, or if it was just a mistake on this artist's part. Gen 1 wasn't really set in stone for a while.
We could have a whole thread just for the shitty Red/Blue (sometimes Yellow!) character art.

Charmeleon's back sprite is probably one of the most infamously bad:

1476660279742.jpg

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been under the impression the Omen was a floating tower thing up until I saw this post yesterday. I don't think it's weird to interpret the tower and not a pizza ship. If the nose was pointing downward instead of up, it may have helped. Also, a large tower seems more ominous/massive in my mind that the ship reading.

I'm sure it helped that I first watched Star Wars around the same time, but the thought of it being a tower never crossed my mind. Surprised how many interpreted it that other way, though I guess only people who did would be likely to comment.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Also the giant Hammer Koopa or however he's called, I thought his eye was the big white circle at the side of his head
lNDpn_C_5LCPcaC6tEewhe3cJZ0DmxHh_30tbIFXzSO_lMIBerEG-BMWTN19fSIg9ueWWCmwfFCiY3ADdOFSaZOsmqktCzaEs92jP42PafhFnC5SEmwv9wKww3U-Yo7Ofo4dRsCDs7qCJuPAQH2oDYFM3lS30yM2gGz5o6AqfX5v

And it took me years to notice that his eyes are the small dots at the front
SledgebrosNSMBW.png

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Link's sprite in Zelda 2.

It's SUPPOSED to be a sword (in his right hand?!), but it looks like he's holding his shield out in front of him.

Someone drew the Zelda 2 sprites as 16-bit sprites to make it more obvious what it's supposed to be:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

011Metapod_OS_anime.png

Which Yellow borrowed

Spr_1y_011.png

I think it doesn't have a real face of any kind and can just turn its eyes in both directions

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I don't disrespect how people come to believe it's a tower, but it's a perspective completely alien to me, and I can't imagine how anyone got to that conclusion.

its basically because i would not imagine it not facing the camera at all, i mean, everything on the game is facing camera, why the hell would not? haha

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have NO idea, not trying to be rude, how Anyone could have seen this thing as a tower, when it so clearly looks like a North-facing starship of some sort. I'm gonna guess pop-culture osmosis had given me and a bunch of others a head start on this, but the elevated platform on the middle and the two thrusters in the back tip it off so clearly.

I don't disrespect how people come to believe it's a tower, but it's a perspective completely alien to me, and I can't imagine how anyone got to that conclusion.

The Black Omen never looked liked a tower to me. I always saw a starship-like structure.

I'm sure it helped that I first watched Star Wars around the same time, but the thought of it being a tower never crossed my mind. Surprised how many interpreted it that other way, though I guess only people who did would be likely to comment.

To be fair, you really can't blame people for the confusion when the animation of the Omen's destruction looks like this:

md5ZYSp.gif

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
To be fair, you really can't blame people for the confusion when the animation of the Omen's destruction looks like this:

md5ZYSp.gif
True.

Plus, at this point you've gotten through Magus' tower, which looks like this.

Magus_Castle.png

As well as the floating islands of Zeal.

130429_otl_chronotrigger_featured.jpg

So of course in my mind I'm like, "Oh another tower, but this one floats. Makes sense".

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Wait

THOSE ARE EARS.

I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAT/CROWN OR SOME WEIRD HEAD-THING ATTACHED.

Oh my god.
Same. He'll always have a fez hat/crown thing in my mind.

Y'all gotta remember a lot of us were kids looking at these on our shit-ass second hand CRT TVs through RF video (sometimes composite if we were lucky). Our minds filled in the blanks.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Link's sprite in Zelda 2.

It's SUPPOSED to be a sword (in his right hand?!), but it looks like he's holding his shield out in front of him.

Someone drew the Zelda 2 sprites as 16-bit sprites to make it more obvious what it's supposed to be:

wait...you thought the pointy thing was his shield??

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This one is destroying me because I can only see half of it. The long head with the butt chin, okay. And then going down to the mouth line, I guess you saw it as the bottom of the nose, which I can't force my brain to do but I can at least see how it might look elevated. But then between the mouth and the chest you have a flesh coloured line. What is that supposed to be? He's missing his bottom lip?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
FaWqJZ9.jpg

The Black Omen from Chrono Trigger looks like some sort of tower, but it's actually a Star Destroyer
The first X'd out image beside Drake is exactly how I pictured it. I'm glad so many others saw it the same way. Given the verticality of other structures on the world map, I think it's perfectly correct to read it as a tower. Sorry not sorry. Gonna stick to my own impressions on this one. :( lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dw_qMRjXgAI3-OR

Mario is holding his suspenders.

For the longest time I thought he was just keeping his arms horizontal and his fists closed as if he was preparing to run

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Here's one that I only figured out just now. For the longest time I thought that Kuros' sprite in Wizards & Warriors 2: Ironsword was supposed to have these giant goofy eyeballs bulging out of the helmet, when in fact it's meant to be the visor with the "eyeballs" in fact being a shoddy representation of the bars.. I will never be able to interpret it as anything else no matter how hard I try though.

cCppfI7.jpg

I blame B.O.B for this.

D6V7rFO.png

WarCraft ||

For years as a kid I thought it was a female Orc with one eye shut with like a smirk or smile from the horn

peonkyuua.png

vPEf6XF.gif

Oh yeah, this was totally me too.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
There are bound to be some really obvious ones but I can't remember them at the moment... I think I'll say... Legend of Mana for the PS 1. I just thought everything, including the protagonist, was some amorphous fantasy creature. It took me whole decades to see the main character as a human in super baggy clothing with a colossal quiff.