• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Mega_Man_X_Enemy_Vile_armor.png

I always thought that Vile's shoulder canon was a weird, beak-like nose.
OH MY GOD. I thought I was the only one. And it's the opening post, too. Thank you. I'm not alone.

Oct 31, 2017
Sonic 2 was my first Sonic. Due to how the pod looked:

hqdefault.jpg

I thought his eyes and head were his nose and the black part of his pod was some kind of visor.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime a new "retro sprites that were misinterpreted" thread pops up in Era, I know that I've completed yet another cycle in the simulation's time loop.

I don't know if it is just me, but it feels like every month we share the same examples, namely the Pokémon RSE protagonist, Aghanim and that Xenogears character, then we forget we did it, and proceed to do it again after a certain time.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Cecil walking down sprite (in the upper right corner) I always thought had a big grin on his face on the shadowy part.

k0Ch80i.png

Lepent from Suikoden 1 I never notice he was wearing a shirt and had a mustache until I saw his Suikoden 2 portrait.

8VZR4Mq.png

NxYFFF0.png

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Everytime a new "retro sprites that were misinterpreted" thread pops up in Era, I know that I've completed yet another cycle in the simulation's time loop.

I don't know if it is just me, but it feels like every month we share the same examples, namely the Pokémon RSE protagonist, Aghanim and that Xenogears character, then we forget we did it, and proceed to do it again after a certain time.

I hear you. On one hand, I'm not on era all day and on the other, it is surreal to see examples that are so well know, that they have codified, stock images for these types of threads...being posted almost immediately. Like people can't wait to share stuff that's probably widely known.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The people that are surprised are not the same people everytime.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I always thought the pink circle in the middle of Poliwag's face was its nose.
Spr_4d_060.png

It wasn't until I saw its "nose" open up in Pokemon Go that I realized that was its mouth. Can you blame me, though? Neither of its evolutions have mouths, just two dots where their nose should be.
Same with Diglet for me....

Oct 27, 2017
Crono's climbing ladder sprite animation still kinda confuses me to this day. For some reason my brain keeps telling me that hes walking up the ladder facing away from it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Illusion of Gaia thread, but I thought Princess Kara was black because of the black curly hair on her sprite; I also thought her skin looked a little darker than the rest.

gaia1ckj9l.png

Then you look at the actual character art and not only does she have brown curly hair, but everything is drawn in a classic shoujo style by a veteran manga artist, which isn't really communicated through the game's visuals at all.

1lj47.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Illusion of Gaia thread, but I thought Princess Kara was black because of the black curly hair on her sprite; I also thought her skin looked a little darker than the rest.

gaia1ckj9l.png

Then you look at the actual character art and not only does she have brown curly hair, but everything is drawn in a classic shoujo style by a veteran manga artist, which isn't really communicated through the game's visuals at all.

1lj47.jpg

Yeah I always thought the Illusion of Gaia sprites didn't look very anime, for a JRPG.

I didn't have the game's box so I thought Snokie was a hairy caveman instead of a bird.
Snokie_Animation1.gif

Looks like a Diglett

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I used to think this guy was a walking Strawberry (Thought the knife was a stem)

5540.png

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that canine humanoids officially exist in the FFVI world:

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket (こそドロ一匹オオカミ, Kosodoro Ippiki Ōkami?, lit. Lone Wolf the Pilferer) is a recurring character in the series. He is a werewolf, a thief, and steals treasure from chests before the party obtains them. He is frequently seen imprisoned. Lone Wolf is imprisoned in Castle Walse...

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Obl7VyB.png

Nobody ever seems to mention this one but I always saw these flying enemies from the original Metroid as having giant eyeball stalks instead of claws. I edited the bottom one to erase their actual eyes and close off the claw gap, it's pretty easy to see what they actually are but I totally never saw it as a kid.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the thing with the Black Omen is that it's really weird for an object to be always facing away from the screen in a game with a 3/4 overhead perspective

once you realize what you're looking at, though, it's pretty easy to make out

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
the thing with the Black Omen is that it's really weird for an object to be always facing away from the screen in a game with a 3/4 overhead perspective

once you realize what you're looking at, though, it's pretty easy to make out

I also think conceptually, it looking like this huge ugly alien blot on the planet seemed more appropriate than a more cliche human-centric spaceship design?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Blackthrone for the SNES if you leave the dude idle he starts jerking off...or at least as dumb kid that's what I thought he was doing. A friend finally convinced me he was just cleaning his sunglasses.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
15297.png

The Revenge of Shinobi. Back on my crappy, blurry ~12" composite color monitor I played my Genesis on, I interpreted that band on his forehead as just part of his entire face. It wasn't until I played it on an emulator years later that I could see the actual pixels and realize I had it wrong. :)

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I also think conceptually, it looking like this huge ugly alien blot on the planet seemed more appropriate than a more cliche human-centric spaceship design?
yeah, that plus the fact that it was the Ocean Palace before it rose into the sky

going from Palace to Floating Tower seems more natural than going from Palace to Spaceship

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I always thought Agahnim had giant pincers.

I can't tell if that's what everyone else miss-saw too or not going by the sketch.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I must admit that despite how often this subject gets brought up, I somehow never saw the correct interpretation of the Black Omen before.

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that knew it was a white hat. White hair for a teenager would be a weird move for a Pokemon game

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
15297.png

The Revenge of Shinobi. Back on my crappy, blurry ~12" composite color monitor I played my Genesis on, I interpreted that band on his forehead as just part of his entire face. It wasn't until I played it on an emulator years later that I could see the actual pixels and realize I had it wrong. :)
I'm a huge Shinobi fan and my mind is well and truly blown now.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
anything missed might be in this:

www.resetera.com

Mis-seen sprites of the 8- and 16-bit ERA

Of course from every other gaming period too, please excuse my clumsy attempt at working that ERA into the title. A glorious thread that overly deserves its comeback, we've all had these sprites in our early gaming years that we always misinterpreted and only found out later what they're...

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Zelda 2 Link sprite I always interpreted as Link walking around with his sword pointed straight up in the air when in fact it was his shield.

To be fair, it was years before I got a good look at him outside the tiny screenshots in Nintendo Power.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
15297.png

After over 30 years of playing the game and having this username for past 20 or so years, I never noticed that until now.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, that plus the fact that it was the Ocean Palace before it rose into the sky

going from Palace to Floating Tower seems more natural than going from Palace to Spaceship

Plus the spaceship just stays immobile in the air for 14,300 years doing nothing. Queen Zeal says it's a "shrine" to Lavos who rule or will "rule the world". You would think a spaceship would be used to go to space but no, Queen Zeal never says anything about leaving the planet.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

Used to think the big red ears on this wererat from FFVI as eyes. The eyes are actually yellow dots just above the mouth.