• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Mega_Man_X_Enemy_Vile_armor.png

I always thought that Vile's shoulder canon was a weird, beak-like nose.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "Beach Koopa" in Super Mario World are crouched over, they're not walking on all fours when you knock them out of their shells.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the pink circle in the middle of Poliwag's face was its nose.
Spr_4d_060.png

It wasn't until I saw its "nose" open up in Pokemon Go that I realized that was its mouth. Can you blame me, though? Neither of its evolutions have mouths, just two dots where their nose should be.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
kidicarus_shops2.png

The shopkeeper in Kid Icarus... He was standing behind a table, but I always thought he was a spider.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sorry to post a tweet, but I drew a couple of mine. I constantly saw Suikoden II's Riou with this weird smug face because of his metal headband thing; and Final Form Lavos looked like dogs to me.

1527897895267.png

Wasn't till I got older that I realised he's wearing a hat.

That's a hat...?? Like... a hair net, maybe

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
WarCraft ||

For years as a kid I thought it was a female Orc with one eye shut with like a smirk or smile from the horn

peonkyuua.png

vPEf6XF.gif

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
1527897895267.png

Wasn't till I got older that I realised he's wearing a hat.
What stupid kind of stupid hat looks like this? Of course it is his hair tucked behind a bandana!

Oh, and it took me years to make sense of this sprite, at all.
zmnJJMH.png

I couldn't even tell what I saw. I looked like a weird, shrinked version of Link that somehow lost its face, has a disfigured body or turned around or raised his hands. Took me years to realise he sits, his feet stretched towards the camera, head tilted and arms hanging beside his feet.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FaWqJZ9.jpg

The Black Omen from Chrono Trigger looks like some sort of tower, but it's actually a Star Destroyer

MasterOfKnees

Jul 26, 2018
Denmark
Maybe not an old school sprite per se, but WoW's Cleave icon:

ability_warrior_cleave.jpg

Took me over a decade of playing Warrior to realize it was an axe being swung, and not a green parrot with a steel beak.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bullet Bill has an arm, not a smile

23d65ec4d579a1e.png

Doesn't help that later they introduced the Banzai Bill which DOES have a giant smile

billbullet.jpg

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
not a gaming sprite but gaming sprite related - i spent years growing up in atlanta trying to puzzle out why our basketball team had a snaggle toothed pacman eating a misshappen pellet as its logo until i finally saw the hawk
fac442fcec040347ec333df742f3153c.png

oomba-8-bit-goomba-11562923680chnjskwjpc.png

I thought the botom part was like a birds beak. I had no idea it was a walking mushroom
i wonder if a similar misinterpretation is why the goomba-equivalents in the mario bros clone Giana Sisters are owls

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

A lack of discription doesn't help, so I'll elaborate.

This guy always looked like he had a Super long face, when in actuality, the blacker pixels on the bottom of his head was mean to be shadowing to define his head shape, and he's just supposed to look like a generic guy.

He always came across having an open mouth grin to me, though. Like he was always stoked, which wasn't helped by having a character with this sprite going "I'm so rich and happy, hahaha!" It felt like the correct interpretation with that personality on display for it's most defined use.

I have always been perplexed by his design, and never saw the actual head until this moment, so this I get. However...

FaWqJZ9.jpg

The Black Omen from Chrono Trigger looks like some sort of tower, but it's actually a Star Destroyer

I have NO idea, not trying to be rude, how Anyone could have seen this thing as a tower, when it so clearly looks like a North-facing starship of some sort. I'm gonna guess pop-culture osmosis had given me and a bunch of others a head start on this, but the elevated platform on the middle and the two thrusters in the back tip it off so clearly.

I don't disrespect how people come to believe it's a tower, but it's a perspective completely alien to me, and I can't imagine how anyone got to that conclusion.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
A lack of discription doesn't help, so I'll elaborate.

This guy always looked like he had a Super long face, when in actuality, the blacker pixels on the bottom of his head was mean to be shadowing to define his head shape, and he's just supposed to look like a generic guy.

He always came across having an open mouth grin to me, though. Like he was always stoked, which wasn't helped by having a character with this sprite going "I'm so rich and happy, hahaha!" It felt like the correct interpretation with that personality on display for it's most defined use.

I have always been perplexed by his design, and never saw the actual head until this moment, so this I get. However...

I have NO idea, not trying to be rude, how Anyone could have seen this thing as a tower, when it so clearly looks like a North-facing starship of some sort. I'm gonna guess pop-culture osmosis had given me and a bunch of others a head start on this, but the elevated platform on the middle and the two thrusters in the back tip it off so clearly.

I don't disrespect how people come to believe it's a tower, but it's a perspective completely alien to me, and I can't imagine how anyone got to that conclusion.

I've been under the impression the Omen was a floating tower thing up until I saw this post yesterday. I don't think it's weird to interpret the tower and not a pizza ship. If the nose was pointing downward instead of up, it may have helped. Also, a large tower seems more ominous/massive in my mind that the ship reading.