• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
They felt like they were singing to me. Remember, this was during the "Dubya" Bush administration. He'd used the national tragedy of 911 to attack Iraq and diverted forces away from the actual fight with Al Queda and search for Bin Laden.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Made me wanna make a call in a phone booth then fly off.

The Matrix was my first exposure to RATM.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
They blew everyone's mind at my junior high school. They were one of those bands that almost every group of students listened to. I even remember teachers who were initially put-off by their sound, but once they actually listened to the content even they were on-board with it, especially the English and Social Studies teachers.

Rage was, and still is, perfect for lifting too.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I think it's better well known in hip hop circles than you think. I mean, it's not talked about a huge amount, but then, it's not hip hop so that makes sense. I've heard rappers cite them as influences though. And most of my hip hop loving friends appreciate them, even ones that aren't necessarily into rock a great deal.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in HS at the time, I was pretty much 100% into hip-hop and they were pretty influential to me and my crew. They were one of my first forays into music other than hip-hop and led me into getting into a lot of other rock at the time.

Evil Empire's release was a big event and got played just as much as their first album. Constant rotation throughout high school.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
They felt like they were singing to me. Remember, this was during the "Dubya" Bush administration. He'd used the national tragedy of 911 to attack Iraq and diverted forces away from the actual fight with Al Queda and search for Bin Laden.

They were very influential and relevant for their time back then, but their both sides bullshit between Bush and Gore didn't age well.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Not known in hip hop circles,? Bro CHUCK D was the singer for prophets of rage, Zach did tracks w DJ shadow, Saul Williams, run the jewels etc. They are definitely known in hip hop circles, and zach is friends w a lot of rappers.

Also "some of those who work forces, are the same who burn crosses" repeated over and over was raw as fuck for rock music at the time, and has a legacy and lasting impact to this day.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I was between 9 and 15 when they were in their heyday. Absolutely loved them and saw them live a few times. Self-titled is one of my favorite rock albums ever and when the RTJ song with Zack came out a few years back, I spent weeks just listening to all the old Rage shit and it STILL sounds amazing.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
In my circle they were viewed as another popular band, all of us had the album with the flaming monk on the cover but I don't think any of us realized the lyrics were meant to be potent nor were we flabbergasted by the rap/rock combo. I guess we were somewhat already exposed to that via RHCP/Faith No More. Actually funnily enough i think we thought they were slightly lame, and going on and on about them would be like going on and on about Pearl Jam.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Not known in hip hop circles,? Bro CHUCK D was the singer for prophets of rage, Zach did tracks w DJ shadow, Saul Williams, run the jewels etc. They are definitely known in hip hop circles, and zach is friends w a lot of rappers.

For real.
My freshman year in college (1999) their Battle Of Los Angeles tour came to Atlanta.
I didn't go, but some of the dormmates on my floor went.
I believe it was RATM, Anti-Flag, and Gang Starr in the same show at Philips Arena.
They mentioned it was great because you had Rockers, Slackers, Headbangers, Gangbangers, Anarchists, and various other social radicals all rocking out together.

RATM were a very well connected act

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I don't mean to imply they were some sort of niche group but they're not really well known inside hip hop circles.

Simply untrue.

RATM collaborated and toured with Wu Tang in the 90s, covered, toured and shared a stage with Cypress Hill, Zach collaborated and shared the stage with Chuck D from Public Enemy, Zach collaborated with Last Emperor and KRS-One on a track, they covered NWA and released a cover album full of hiphop tracks that inspired them.

Also, from your initial post, you seem to insinuate that RATM is a late 90s/early 2000s nu-metal band when they have formed and began making music almost a decade prior to that timeline.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 39 and was in high school when Evil Empire landed. I vividly remember listening to "People of the Sun" as I locked up my bike and walked through the gymnasium into the school. That song was a revelation.

The band was huge back then and they only got bigger over the years, even after disbanding. We had 3 rock stations in my city that would play stuff from Rage back then and I bet if I moved back, they'd still be playing it now. They're a legendary band, OP. They were all over MTV back when the channel was still the bottom line of what was mainstream and cool.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
They were one of many cool bands in the 90s. Never struck me as extra special other Tom Morellos insane riffs. Doesn't help I can't stand
De La Rocha's voice.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Dude in the Warner Brothers shirt and the dancing guy at 19:35 are legends lol. The first RATM live fans.

It's crazy how effortless they already sound here, especially Tom Morello. I know it probably took years and countless daily hours of practicing to get there, but he was ready from the start, damn.

As for OP's question, RATM was one of those groups that immediately became popular and changed the musical landscape as soon as everybody heard Killing In The Name here (Europe/Germany). It was like hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time a year earlier, just so fresh and powerful. They basically went from opening for the likes of Suicidal Tendencies to playing the biggest European Summer festivals within only a year or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea they're fairly well known in hip hop circles, especially underground. They fucking headlined Rock the Bells with Wu-Tang Clan in 2007. This was a hip hop festival featuring some of the most respected names at the time (Nas, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Cypress Hill, KRS-One, Pharoahe Monch, Public Enemy, MF Doom) and Rage was the closing act. Only time I've seen them live but it was incredible.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
They were one of many cool bands in the 90s. Never struck me as extra special other Tom Morellos insane riffs. Doesn't help I can't stand
De La Rocha's voice.

Pretty much this. I was more into shit like STP, Metallica, Tool, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. RATM was big with my friends who were more of the angry sort, while I just couldn't really deal with La Rocha's voice and repetitive lyrics.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Yea they're fairly well known in hip hop circles, especially underground. They fucking headlined Rock the Bells with Wu-Tang Clan in 2007. This was a hip hop festival featuring some of the most respected names at the time (Nas, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Cypress Hill, KRS-One, Pharoahe Monch, Public Enemy, MF Doom) and Rage was the closing act. Only time I've seen them live but it was incredible.

Oooof that festival had some goddamn quality artists! Would have loved to have been there.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
They were one of a metric fuck ton of new bands/huge albums and sounds when they released, but they garnered a huge following based on how raw and talented they were.

In 1992 these were some of albums were released (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_in_music):

Rage Against the Machine - RATM
Nirvana - Nevermind
Rancid - Rancid
Alice in Chains - Sap & Dirt
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Tool - Opiate
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Helmet - Meantime
Ministry - Psalm 69
NIN - Broken
Prodigy - Experience
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
REM - Automatic For The People
Mudhoney - Piece of Cake

Mainstream was still going strong too. Rap was on a fucking roll in 1992 as well. It was the beginning of the end of big hair and pop music's domination of the air waves. I remember coming home from the music store with Rage Against the Machine, Sir Mix A lot - Mack Daddy, Ice Cube - The Predator, and Alice in Chains - Dirt.

During the next few years, popular music really went off the fucking rails. Record execs didn't even know what was going on anymore and signed goddamn anything that sounded different, which resulted in bands getting signed that never would have had a chance just a few years earlier. It was such an unbelievable time to be a teenager and be into music. I was 17 and was in the perfect position to help welcome in all the new music variety. By the time I sold my CD collection around 2000, I had over 800 in my collection!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
RATM was too angry for my tastes back then, the more subdued angst of grunge was enough, but some of their stuff grew on me through familiarity eventually.

I shared a room with my younger brother, and one morning he blasted it on his stereo, I had to tell him to fuck off, and we got into a fistfight over it.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
I believe I saw them at Lollapalooza a couple weeks before their debut album was released. I'm not sure if an act dropped out but they opened the festival on the main stage and I wasn't ready for mosh pits at 2 in the afternoon in the lawn area. It has been so long I only remember Morello's siren sounds coming from the stage. I don't how much rotation their 'Freedom' MTV video got outside of 120 Minutes and Headbanger's Ball but I remember it quite well.

They were popular but their output was slow. I recall an interview where Morello wanted to put out an album once every 6-12 months but we know that never happened. Lol

Edit-
Fun fact: SNL banned them after their first appearance on the show for protesting Steve Forbes that was hosting that night. They played with an American flag upside down.

Last edited:

speak_easy

Banned
May 12, 2018
Baltimore, Maryland
Well I am 32, and the first time I consciously recall listening to to rage was when The Battle of Los Angeles came out. I suppose I was 11/12 at the time. Guerrilla Radio was my jam. Of course the early stuff was on rotation on the Alt Rock station at the time (RIP 99.1 HFS) and we had CDs to put in the boom box.

Me and my friends rode our bikes, shot BB guns, graffiti, set stuff on fire etc all to Rage and Cypress Hill so it was good soundtrack material for those escapades. The political message did not occur to me at the time.

Still love RATM, and the Hires tracks remain on my phone at all times for impromptu listening. Also, whenever I need an example of a properly mastered album, the first album comes to mind immediately ( excepting the 20th anniversary remaster which is garbage).

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Also "some of those who work forces, are the same who burn crosses" repeated over and over was raw as fuck for rock music at the time, and has a legacy and lasting impact to this day.
Teenagers hear that now and think it's simply about teen angst and telling authority off because of the 'fuck you I won't do what you tell me." line. The deeper sociopolitical meaning is lost on them.
I wish theyd have connected the audience to their message more, but you can't be more on the nose than Battle of LA and its videos were or say, No Shelter condemning the very film on whose soundtrack it appears. If people can't pick up on that, then let them mosh.

I first heard them in '97 when a friend played Bullet in the Head as we waited for buses at the end of the day and he thought the album cover was awesome. None of us picked up on the message at the time, for me, that came late when I was in high school and TBOLA came out and we'd go back and listen to the lyrics not just the agression

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
Still moderately surprised that Tom Morello's "make crazy noises with your guitar" style hasn't been emulated more in the years since their peak. The only thing that was popular for a microsecond was his Bulls On Parade solo, which a few other bands (poorly) copied (Machine Head and Fear Factory, to name a couple)

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to imply they were some sort of niche group but they're not really well known inside hip hop circles which I thought should be a given considering Zach's mic skills. He's legitimately a good rapper.
I kinda disagree with this given Zack has rapped alongside some of the greats and members of the band went on to work with other hip hop acts during the hiatus.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
My circle of friends gave a lot of importance and significance to their message (lyrics, music videos, real life actions). I'm talking mid-late 90ies. It always amazed me that they were able to put out No Shelter on the Godilla soundtrack album:

Tha thin line between entertainment and war
They fix the need, develop the taste
Buy their products or get laid to waste
Coca-Cola is back in the veins of Saigon
And Rambo too, he got a dope pair of Nikes on
And Godzilla pure muthafuckin filler
To keep ya eyes off the real killer

Cinema, simulated life, ill drama
Fourth Reich culture - Americana
Chained to the dream they got ya searchin for
Tha thin line between entertainment and war

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I was 13 when their self-titled album came out and it kind of blew my mind. Still nothing that sounds like it.

Also, I am not old. Get off my lawn.

crowed

Oct 27, 2017
Aviles, asturias, Spain
The first song i heard from them was a bullet in the head trough a friend of mine. We used to make a radio program in our last year at our high school equivalent here in spain been a fan since them they were hughe here too

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
their lyrics & shit on their webpage in the day put me onto chomsky's manufacturing consent, zinn's work, leonard peltier & COINTELPRO and so much shit

have they announced more dates? beside the big festival and the ones in the southwest?

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Still recall the first time I heard Killing in the name off.

92 and in college. A friend brought in a VHS of the previous nights late show which I think was their first UK tv appearance and it blew my teenage mind.

Think the next August I saw them play their first Reading festival.

Jun 6, 2019
They were universally praised for the debut and clubs would play killing in the name of, with the whole crowd yelling "fuck you I won't do what you tell me", middle fingers raised

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to imply they were some sort of niche group but they're not really well known inside hip hop circles which I thought should be a given considering Zach's mic skills. He's legitimately a good rapper.

What hip hop circles are you in?

RATM have always been well known.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
During the time that it came out, the rap/rock hybrid was something that happened here and there (like the Judgement Night soundtrack and some of the stuff Ice T was doing). It felt like the first album I had heard that did the hybrid really well. Rage arrived on the scene before the Rap/Rock thing really blew up in the late nineties, thankfully saving them from any association of the awful bands that were around at that time. Not that it would have mattered because Rage is a great band. (Deftones survived that association by the quality of their music)

As for the music itself, Tom Morello's guitar work is what really stood out to me. It just really meshed so well with Zack's vocals. I was in high school, so I wasn't sure yet where I stood on the content of the lyrics, but I enjoyed the "fuck you" aspect of the band. Also, the production on that self-titled album was pretty amazing.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were solid. I never liked them as much as some of my friends did, but I found them intriguing.

I have flashes of memory of listening to RATM in my friend's bedroom while playing my other friend's rented copy of Body Harvest on my N64 circa 1998. Good times.

Oct 25, 2017
I was in high school. They became fairly popular when their first album hit but they were not as big as some other bands at the time.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was 15 or 16 when they broke through and it felt amazing. They brought a unique mix of hard rock with a lyrical flow that caught me off guard.

Still among my favorite bands ever. I'm not a huge rock guy but some they have always stuck with me.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
As a side note, Tom Morello is a reminder that super bands are almost always a bad idea.

Rage: AWESOME

Soundgarden: AWESOME

Audioslave: boring ass dreck