• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Picture this. You need to buy toiler paper so you go to the closest store to get some. On the way back you see some teenagers in the distance, talking and laughing loudly, and one of them has dubstep playing loudly on their smartphone. They're wearing god knows WHAT. Do you cross the street? Do you cry for the future of democracy? Do you complain to your friends that kids these days whatever and whatnot?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Early-mid 30s here.

No, I feel a lot of people forget what it was like to be a kid/teen, but honestly it's nothing new. Also new music is still good.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, the kids these days are mostly pretty cool, at least if you interact in physical spaces. Feels like I am being pushed out of the online social hobby groups though.

Thrilled that people still love video games and books and music and cooking and all that but being a certain age around a bunch of kids all the time leads to accusations of a certain kind, and generally weird vibes when people think you're a creeper for no reason other than how many times you've ridden this ball around the sun. (52 fwiw)

Oct 26, 2017
Not really...I'm just chuckling to myself about the fashions that they've rediscovered that we got rid of for good reason.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm 38 and kinda. Then again I felt really at odds with my era of "youths" as well at the time. I was raised by a music and cinema fanatic uncle mostly who taught me about 40s Jazz and silent film when I was a kid, I've always been way the odd one out and had no interest in current entertainment etc. for the most part really.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Nah, the kids these days are mostly pretty cool, at least if you interact in physical spaces. Feels like I am being pushed out of the online social hobby groups though.

Thrilled that people still love video games and books and music and cooking and all that but being a certain age around a bunch of kids all the time leads to accusations of a certain kind, and generally weird vibes when people think you're a creeper for no reason other than how many times you've ridden this ball around the sun. (52 fwiw)

Although the nice thing about video games is that, with the notable exception of Roblox, in general there aren't "older people games" and "younger people games" like there are with music or even to a degree movies.

Everyone from 10-110 is going to be playing one of Horizon, Ring or Gran Turismo this month and thus you probably have something to talk about.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, they're just people and going through the same things we did.

Not really...I'm just chuckling to myself about the fashions that they've rediscovered that we got rid of for good reason.
90s grunge fashion with a slight twist here and there.

I had a zoomer tell me they will never wear skinny jeans, which is what I said in the 90s. It's kinda fun watching this play out.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Kids just being around: don't care; kids being loud and rambunctious: probably avoid. Course I'd avoid people of any age being loud and rambunctious, come to think of it.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, most kids nowadays are pussycats and not in a bad way. Back in my day a black hoodie and mask meant it was about to go down. Now, that same outfit is going into 7-11 for V-bucks or whatever.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
No, I've learned from my parents' generation's mistakes. Change isn't something to fear, it's something to look forward to. If something's popular, I give it a fair shake, and if I don't like it, it's on me, not them.

I hated juvenoia as a teen, and I still hate it now.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I be afraid of kids?

You have to be really out of touch with reality for that to happen.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid of them bringing back the socks with sandals trend, yeah. Or worse, Crocs with socks.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I have a shitty, Call of Duty playing, Mountain Dew drinking 14 year old douchbag literally living in the house who constantly harasses me for how disconnected and old I am and how my aim fucking sucks.

But I can ground him so that's okay.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's a 50/50 chance they're members of the radical terrorist organization, Antifa, so I'd probably call my local Freedom Chapter to report them first.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was already afraid of young people when I was young myself, you're damn right I will cross the street if I see a bunch of young punks coming my way, lol.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
90s grunge fashion with a slight twist here and there.

I had a zoomer tell me they will never wear skinny jeans, which is what I said in the 90s. It's kinda fun watching this play out.
This is the funniest part, just watching fashion cycles come back through. It's like "Bud, you realize your inspo board for all these are from the late 90s, what do you think happened after that?"

Oct 27, 2017
I walk through them. Nothing keeps a mind fresh like roasting teenagers and I've been on Xbox Live pub lobbies for 15 years. This is what we train for. 👴 ✊

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Picture this. You need to buy toiler paper so you go to the closest store to get some. On the way back you see some teenagers in the distance, talking and laughing loudly, and one of them has dubstep playing loudly on their smartphone. They're wearing god knows WHAT. Do you cross the street? Do you cry for the future of democracy? Do you complain to your friends that kids these days whatever and whatnot?

I'd shout at them "go home and play videogames, you damn losers!!"

Seriously though, I'm not afraid, but a group of kids would be able to own me in a millisecond with some stupid joke about my clothes or ugly mug, my social skills are inexistent and I've got zero self confidence.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
How old we talking here? I'm 42. I have no problem with them. I may not like the silly stuff they call entertainment most of the time but fuck it, neither did our parents or their parents.

Being afraid of teenagers with loud music and crossing the street to avoid it is like something I swear I've seen in a sitcom or something. lol

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
uz15xdx3jaoz.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
No, I don't know any teenager playing dubstep. Most kids I know are into Tiktok, playing NBA Youngboy, Lil Durk or Travis Scott. I'm not afraid of that.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

You have to be really out of touch with reality for that to

You have to be really out of touch with reality for that to happen.
Or just have a lot of bad experiences. Both me and my wife were pretty much social outcasts and bullied as children and teenagers so that left a pretty bad image about larger teenage groups. Even in my 20s I had several random occasions with teenagers deciding to try to bully me. I've always wondered what the hell it is about - like do I look somehow different and easily bullyable compared to other people or what? It's been a pretty consistent theme in my life.

It's easy to label different views as just out of touch with reality instead of trying to have an ounce of understanding.

Mind you, now it hasn't happened to me for a long time anymore and I've mostly got rid of the fear. Still though, when I see a teenager group or walk past one, quite often somewhere in the back of my mind there is this worry that they might try to bully me. My wife still has the fear way stronger than I do. I hope she gets rid of it some day.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Or just have a lot of bad experiences. Both me and my wife were pretty much social outcasts and bullied as children and teenagers so that left a pretty bad image about larger teenage groups. Even in my 20s I had several random occasions with teenagers deciding to try to bully me. I've always wondered what the hell it is about - like do I look somehow different and easily bullyable compared to other people or what? It's been a pretty consistent theme in my life.

It's easy to label different views as just out of touch with reality instead of trying to have an ounce of understanding.

Mind you, now it hasn't happened to me for a long time anymore and I've mostly got rid of the fear. Still though, when I see a teenager group or walk past one, quite often somewhere in the back of my mind there is this worry that they might try to bully me. My wife still has the fear way stronger than I do. I hope she gets rid of it some day.
Everyone definitely has different experiences.

I am in my mid 40s and until my most recent knee injury I still played a lot of basketball. That means dealing with teenagers.

In my experience I never felt threatened by them in the slightest. Its not hard for an old man to take down some shitty kids. You get meaner and hopefully a little smarter with age. And honestly they mostly look like babies to me.

To me fear of teenagers usually comes from being out of touch. Like thinking they are actually some "woke" "antifa" devil worshippers. When in reality they are just kids who are trying to figure who they are (like all kids).

One thing I will add though living in the United States. I definitely try to avoid physical confrontation. If someone is acting crazy and it looks like they might become violent I will avoid them no matter what age they are. Too many assholes with guns in this country and I am not trying to be the next victim if I can help it. But random kids or old people on the street? I wouldn't be worried about that at all. And you can extend that logic to anyone if you want. Immigrants, black people, white people, etc. I don't want to live that way.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Naa, not me. And someone's age doesn't determine whether or not I'd avoid walking by them either, I've seen some cranky old cunts I'd rather avoid. But pro tip for people scared of this situation: every time you go out be desperate for the toilet and use your bowels as a defence mechanism. So if some teenager's like "give me all your money punk!", you can shit at them. Like a skunk. They'll back off every time.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 and not really. I know that people are most likely thinking about themselves or their own lives when out and about, no one's paying attention to me. Plus I remember being a teen and I rarely gave a shit about random adults.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I don't wanna be a future boomer so no. I just hate people in general that play music for the public to hear.

I thought TikTok was stupid then I tried it out and it's pretty great.

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
Not crossing the street. Music hasn't changed much in 20 years. Dubstep isn't anything new. As I get older I'm only getting more confident in my own skin while the youngins are still trying to find themselves

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I run up to them with a NES and a copy of Mario bros to show them how far gaming has come.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I remember what it felt like when people would cross the street when I was approaching, so I'm not ever doing that to anyone.

It's just some kids minding their business. Let them live.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wha? No.

Kids don't care about people like us over the age of 30. And we didn't either at that age. Those kids aint thinking about us.