• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

So, I'm not going to lie... I'm mostly posting this because it comes off parody level bad. Like the kind of thing a sketch show would attribute to Shyamalan as a joke. Anyone actually feeling it?

Old if old.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Man, if those were the takes that made them think "yes, this is exactly the best line reads to sell this to millions", I can't wait to see what the rest of the acting/direction is like. Legit Wiseau tier lol.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
it looks like a stupid movie veering towards self-parody for Shyamyalan indeed....seems like a good time because of that though. I'm interested in watching it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good Shyamalan's comeback was so successful that Bad Shyamalan thought he had to attempt one too.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft soft for Shyamalan, but this looks...not great.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Oof that dialogue is so bad. The way the actress so casually delivered the line "You were six years old this morning" had me cracking up.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
That has to be one of the worst trailers for a mainstream film I have ever seen.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never seen a filmmaker go from hot shit and gradually to dog shit. Well, maybe Nolan.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
"What's the most horrifying thing we can sell to our audience?"

"How about being old?!"

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
6kUM.gif

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"You're six years old this morning!". Good lord that was terrible. Hopefully it will be on the same level of so bad it's good as The Happening, love rewatching that amazing trash.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
So the movie is about a bay of maturity? I guess the fountain of youth is around the corner of the bay.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
It feels even harder to take this premise seriously after WandaVision did a "rapid pregnancy and kids aging fast" storyline but for jokes.

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like if all of a sudden a man comes out wearing my son shorts and telling me hes my son id probably flip out on him. Thinking hes a pedo.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
There is some incredibly weird editing in this, on top of everything else. Shot of the daughter(?) pregnant, very brief moment of what looks like her (I think?) holding a baby, then... what appears to be an unrelated shot of her in the same position as the first but looking fine so it's probably leading into it?

When that even being part of the premise is more interesting than just "rapid aging", I'd think.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is gonna be another The Happening, isn't it?

Trailer already had me LOLing.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how Split was so good when Glass went right back to being the usual Shyamalan bullshit. What happened? Was it just a fluke?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't gradual with M. Night, though. Like, the dip from Signs to Lady in the Water was MASSIVE. And every film after that just got worse and worse.
Split was good.

Edit: ha, I see your post above!

I still don't understand how Split was so good when Glass went right back to being the usual Shyamalan bullshit. What happened? Was it just a fluke?
He has talent, he just doesn't seem to know which ideas are the good ones and which should stay as brainstorms.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While I thought Split was just as bad as everything else he's done since Signs (haven't watched Servant, but he didn't write that), it at least had McAvoy going for broke.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Looked interesting. I'd definitely see it. I've enjoyed just about everything from him. And I'm really liking Servant right now. If you all aren't watching that and you have Apple TV, then should definitely check it out.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember that goosebumps story that they made into a tv episode where eating prunes aged you up like 20 years per prune and the child protagonists were being deliberately aged up to be sold off as unwilling husbands to eager elderly widows?

Anyways, if Shymalan went with that premise it would have been at least a little scarier

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Oof those were some exceptionally bad line reads - who hears that take of "You were six years old this morning" and goes "Yeahhh, that's the good stuff right there - no next take needed.". Also the dialogue seemed just really not great in general but that could of been because of just how exceptionally bad this was as a trailer. I thought as human collective that we had figured out how to not completely fuck up a trailer at this point, but apparently not.

I mean I'm in because this looks like hot garbage and I'm always down for getting plastered and watching tripe.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit that I laughed my ass off when I saw the trailer during the Superbowl. I also liked The Visit and Split, but this looks like more The Happening.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'll watch it for the hilarity.

Cast is actually great, though. I wonder if Eliza Scanlen will get sick and die before the end of the movie, she does so in literally all her major roles so far.