• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I bought a copy of COD MW for a buddy of mine for his bday and got a copy for myself so we could play together. Apparently there is a "Season 1" update coming out tomorrow with some new maps and whatever else. I think some people will have their rank reset if they are over level 55. I also recently got a Google Stadia and have been playing Destiny 2 for the first time, and it seems to have seasons and a battle pass of some kind. I have heard of these seasons in other games (Fortnite, CTR, etc) but haven't ever played anything that utilizes them. I guess I don't understand the intent. COD's seems to be free; is that typically the case?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a quick and easy way to package a second (and sometimes third) round of microtransactions for consumers.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Monetization has been organized into seasons, and each season gives you the "opportunity" to buy-in on the current season to fast-track your customizable item acquisition.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The intent is usually to keep you playing with changing the gameplay up or just adding content. End goal is to get you to pay for MXT/DLC because you are invested into the game so they make that Season content usually free.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Easy way to announce when the new content will be dropping, plus most of the time ranks reset so that new players have a chance.

Feb 1, 2018
It's a GaaS model that keeps players interested and involved continuously (read: addicted) + panders to streamers so they have enough content to monetize for 8+ hours a day

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
COD is getting a Battlepass but the maps are free.

Most GAAS games use a model where every few months a new season comes in. Some kind of new content is released "free and monetized content" and it keeps the player base hooked into the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's an easy to way to extract both time AND money from your player base, while also keeping DAU sky-high with goals that require the player bury hours upon hours of gameplay to complete all of the challenges. It's microtransactions with a dash of FOMO.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A constant flow of player engagement and profit. Giving players the next big thing to look forward to in a live service game.

Some are free, others must be bought. Some are free but have a purchasable version with extra benefits. They can be done well or poorly depending on the circumstances.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a good way to A.) have players spend
More money on the game every quarter or so, and B.) keep players involved in the game with timed incentives to prevent them from moving on to a competitior

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Keeps making the experience evolve so people stay on your live service so they give their money to you and not another corporation.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
developers are resorting to more and more overtly manipulative methods to try and keep people playing their game

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's just a new mechanics to keep people playing your game. Because you always have some rewards coming, even when you have all guns leveled up etc.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Actual answer --

1. They provide mid to long-term goals for players to pursue. Helps with retention.
2. They're a convenient way for developers to bundle large changes together. Helps with workflow--and for competitive games, allows the meta to settle.

It's just a framework that uses an existing familiar sports analogy.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It's an easy to way to extract both time AND money from your player base, while also keeping DAU sky-high with goals that require the player bury hours upon hours of gameplay to complete all of the challenges. It's microtransactions with a dash of FOMO.
Of all the replies thus far, this description seems to most resonate with my understanding of them.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
back in prehistoric times you bought your Quake or Starcraft or whatever and played it for a decade while players generated the maps and mods.

multiplayer games nowadays have much shorter life cycles and they have responded by demanding you play them all the time or else you'll miss out on X exclusive skin or whatever. Hey, I'll take that over paying for maps.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Another actual answer:
"Seasons" or whatever other word you would like to use for it, are nicely packaged usually-larger content drops that provide benefits for both the players and the business.

From a player point of view, people get new content or a spin on existing content, along with persistence systems that help keep players engaged with a game for longer periods of time. This content usually follows a particular theme that a game / service focuses on for a period of time, before moving on to provide something new and fresh.

From a business point of view, it provides an opportunity for a refreshed marketing beat, which leads to increased player engagement, retention, and better money making opportunities. It also provides employees with more predictable and healthier release cycle, as content can be created and delivered, but gated and made available over time as a season goes on, reducing the dependency on having everything ready at a certain time, and with that reducing crunch-related work behaviours.

The actual provided content can be acquired in many different ways, and business models vary between games.
* You could have expansion-like packed DLCs with their own systems and marketing beats, that require players to pay in to participate, like with for example, Battlefield 1.
* You could have both free and paid content mixed together, with mostly gameplay-affecting items being free to acquire over time, through participating and engaging with the related persistence systems, with additional vanity content available for purchase, like with for example, Battlefield V.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Game as a service titles try to make money with monetization (microtransactions). They make more money the larger the playerbase is. Seasons act as a way to maintain the player population (or even grow it dramatically in the case of Fortnite and Rainbow Six Siege).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
A double edged sword. When done the right way it adds a ton of content for a reasonable price to keep a game supported. When done the wrong way you get a weak ass content update and the business hopes suckers are dumb enough to pony up for it.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Older man with a question: what's the deal with "seasons" in video games?

Even fucking Dragon Quest Builders 2 has one. Like WTF.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Destiny 2 it just means new content or returning content. Usually a new game mode, new exotics and stuff to sell in the microtransaction store. It's to advertise and bring people back.

Its obviously just to sell their shit.

Oct 29, 2017
I just redownload Battlefront 2

And I cant unlock 2 ICONIC costumes for Leia or Luke because I missed some stupid times event

They fucking suck