• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok sure, there is an argument to be made that some parents worry that their kid will face severe discrimination for being gay and will ultimately be unhappy. But, from my experience, it's more about what the parent wants, they want a normal kid that was like they were, that will meet a girl or boy and have babies.
Except being gay is also normal.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say he should've know better because he's black and should understand what it feels like to be apart of a marginalized group and have someone justify bigotry against you. But black folks not apart of the LBGTQ community don't draw the correlation and don't give a fuck. Just imagine if someone that was white had their racist tweets dug up, got called out on it, and they responded with a proverbial shrug. Only the worse of us would defend shit like that.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you Kevin Hart. The reason it was so hard to get an apology out of him is because he is a genuine homophobe. Full stop.

'I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings but I'm not sorry for harboring those views'.

Fuck.

Off.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. in a perfect environment it's not an obstacle and shouldn't be anyway. But right now depending on the place and people, hell yeah it absolutely can be an obstacle to being happy and healthy. In some places even safety is something you'll have to worry about.

But I guess before we go too far off.. I did see the other tweets from Kevin and it's coming from hate rather than concern for safety/bullying a parent has for their child.
Safety of your child is always a concern for most parents, gay or not. But still, I'm talking from a somewhat progressive western societies' POV. Even in the "worst" countries for gays in the west, I think well over half of the people think gay marriage is ok and even from the rest, a big portion isn't necessarily aggressively hostile towards gay people altogether, but have usually religion-influenced views of marriage only, which doesn't necessarily make them an everyday threat & negative influence to a child.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Dude is so going to do a special about how easily people get offended and all that nonsense. I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up on the Joe Rogan podcast within a couple of weeks.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It would be some BS forced apology anyways.

People change and If you can understand that the dumb shit you said in the past actually has meaning then good for you. Obviously he stands by what he said and is a dumb ass for it.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Safety of your child is always a concern for most parents, gay or not. But still, I'm talking from a somewhat progressive western societies' POV. Even in the "worst" countries for gays in the west, I think well over half of the people think gay marriage is ok and even from the rest, a big portion isn't necessarily aggressively hostile towards gay people altogether, but have usually religion-influenced views of marriage only, which doesn't necessarily make them an everyday threat & negative influence to a child.

Honestly it's more of a fear in regards to his and his son's manhood. I'm in my 40's and I would bet nearly every black male I grew up around wouldn't want their son to be gay. That includes people who are fine with others being gay. The preoccupation with what it means to be a Real Man in the black community runs very deep

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say he should've know better because he's black and should understand what it feels like to be apart of a marginalized group and have someone justify bigotry against you. But black folks not apart of the LBGTQ community don't draw the correlation and don't give a fuck. Just imagine if someone that was white had their racist tweets dug up, got called out on it, and they responded with a proverbial shrug. Only the worse of us would defend shit like that.

I mean bigotry between marginalized people has always existed. The world would be a much better place if more people were empathetic to others outside their own groups/circles, especially when struggles are similar, but alas things don't tend to work that way unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
The preoccupation with what it means to be a Real Man in the black community runs very deep

Yeah, lots of history there in regards to the disenfranchisement and subjugation of black men and the hyper-macho response that produced. I'm a few years younger than Hart, but I grew up in Philly and saw it all the time.

That said, at some point you have to recognize that for what it is and move on from it. Making homophobic jokes years ago is bad, but doubling down on it and refusing to really apologize shows you haven't really changed your views.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
That means the same thing. It's no better. Like, personally, the only thing I HOPE for a child is for them to have as happy & healthy a life as possible. Being gay isn't an obstacle for that, especially in a supportive environment, even with the additional hardships gay people can go through due to bigotry against them. If my child was gay, I'd worry about the homophobia they might face but not to the point that I hoped anything one way or the other in relation to their sexual orientation. They come as they are, I just hope their genes don't fuck them up in other ways (like, some seriously debilitating disease at a young age) & that I raise them well enough that they have at least half-decent readiness to take on life's challenges.

The fact he felt the need to say anything about it on a public platform in that manner makes his true intention obvious. I understand it's bigotry that makes this idea true, but that's the reality of the world we live in.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
love this. Just another example of the how the "too soon" theme is bull. Some people are never going to forgive you or let go. Just do what makes you happy, and has you at peace with yourself, instead of giving others the power to constantly hold things over you.
Hahaha. Not even 24 hours later he tweeted an apology for his comments. But coming from you I'm not surprised you'd defend the bullshit apologies.

Guess Hart ain't the only one holding L's today.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda hard to sift through 20 ERA pages, but question (as someone not up to speed):

I saw a twitter comment that he already issued an apology two years after the bit in question. Any truth to that? Or is he just doubling-down?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Kinda hard to sift through 20 ERA pages, but question (as someone not up to speed):

I saw a twitter comment that he already issued an apology two years after the bit in question. Any truth to that? Or is he just doubling-down?
he said it was due to his insecurities and couldn't tell the joke bc people were too sensitive

basically admitting he was homophobic and blaming others all in one

it was a real one two

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Honestly it's more of a fear in regards to his and his son's manhood. I'm in my 40's and I would bet nearly every black male I grew up around wouldn't want their son to be gay. That includes people who are fine with others being gay. The preoccupation with what it means to be a Real Man in the black community runs very deep
It's definitely not just a Black thing either. That small-minded way of thinking shoots across all races.

Oct 27, 2017
This dude really doesn't get it. An entire world of people are telling him he's fucked up and all he's talking about is how great and happy he is. That MLK quote he posted was ridiculous in this situation. I'm convinced that he isn't really hearing how he has hurt people. He's seeing the fingers pointed at him as weapons meant to bring him down and getting more and more defensive in response.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't work that way because they think homosexuality is a choice.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
He can't just say "I was wrong it's ok to be gay" because he still doesn't believe that. He's been on that "sorry you're offended" crap for 8 years because deep down he hasn't changed. "I'm a positive person everyone should be positive and #LiveLaughLove!" is just a damn deflection from having to say it's ok to be gay. Has he grown? Probably, but not enough for today's standards.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
love this. Just another example of the how the "too soon" theme is bull. Some people are never going to forgive you or let go. Just do what makes you happy, and has you at peace with yourself, instead of giving others the power to constantly hold things over you.
People forgive all the time. But usually, it requires the forgiven party to be sincere with their apology and publicly renounce the shitty views they spread (especially when they've been vocal publicly with their hate) & to visibly show that they have improved their stance on the matter (in the long term; you can't be all "I haven't said faggot in 3 years, I'm cool now"). His "I am who I am, deal" shtick isn't a very good way of dealing with this kind of thing. No one is a bigot by nature. If he was a bigot in the past, then unfortunately for him, he needs to make double the effort to set things right. It will follow him for a long time, maybe even the rest of his life, but if he is actually apologetic, then he should be ok with it.

That might mean you have to be apologetic for shit you said a decade ago a decade later. But really, if you do feel bad for the dumb shit you said & did AS AN ADULT, then it shouldn't be shouldn't be such a gargantuan, seemingly painful task to offer apologies when past shit like that comes up in a situation like this. If you truly do not think so anymore, then offer an apology when one is asked from you.

And let's not forget that he was no inexperienced youngin at that time anymore. He was a grown ass ~ 30-year-old man when he made those statements. People his age can't resort to the "I'm sorry, I was just a dumb kid still at that time" excuse, especially not one who has been a part of an industry as accepting of gays as he is (behind the scenes at least, if not in the amount/type of representation on screen). He was an idiot who had (maybe still does) bought into the homophobia train of thought. Own up to it, apologize and do better instead of whining about being held responsible for your thoughtless, hateful words & actions that have possibly & probably spread that hate even further among his viewership for a decade or two at this point.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He can't just say "I was wrong it's ok to be gay" because he still doesn't believe that. He's been on that "sorry you're offended" crap for 8 years because deep down he hasn't changed. "I'm a positive person everyone should be positive and #LiveLaughLove!" is just a damn deflection from having to say it's ok to be gay. Has he grown? Probably, but not enough for today's standards.

I don't think he has any room left to grow.

I'll see myself out.

Oct 25, 2017
saying "hope my kid isn't gay because that would make their life harder" is no different than saying "hope my kid doesn't have an interracial marriage because that would make their life harder"

it is a sentiment driven by homophobic/racist attitudes even if it is not as actively hateful

this is how i feel as well

it is unacceptable when white gays promote racist attitudes in the LGBT community, so likewise it is unacceptable when black straights promote homophobia

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Every Kevin fan I've spoken to about this just shakes their head. I haven't met anyone defending him IRL yet.

He's gotta do better.

Nah, "I hope my son isn't gay" is a pretty shitty thing to say.
There was a gay poster in this thread who echoed those sentiments... simply because of how hard it can be on a marginalized group.

To be clear, this is NOT was Kevin was saying. And if he meant this, he would have clarified by now.

Oct 27, 2017
He hasn't apologized because he is a hateful little bigot. He sees no reason to apologize because he hates gays.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Every Kevin fan I've spoken to about this just shakes their head. I haven't met anyone defending him IRL yet.

He's gotta do better.

There was a gay poster in this thread who echoed those sentiments... simply because of how hard it can be on a marginalized group.

To be clear, this is NOT was Kevin was saying. And if he meant this, he would have clarified by now.
That's pretty shitty of them too. I get the sentiment isn't meant to necessarily be hateful but it's still a shitty thing to say.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
saying "hope my kid isn't gay because that would make their life harder" is no different than saying "hope my kid doesn't have an interracial marriage because that would make their life harder"

it is a sentiment driven by homophobic/racist attitudes even if it is not as actively hateful
It may be a sentiment driven by homophobic and racist attitudes, but it doesn't have to mean that they are attitudes shared by the individual giving these two statements. Both statements are unfortunately true in today's world.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

this is how i feel as well

it is unacceptable when white gays promote racist attitudes in the LGBT community, so likewise it is unacceptable when black straights promote homophobia
He never says he doesn't want to be gay bc he would avoid discrimination. In fact going by the full context it seems he doesn't want his son to be gay because he's.... homophobic.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
LOL. Boy things escalated quickly while I was sleeping. Double, triple, now quadrupling down in his Instagram video. Fucking unreal.

Anybody who thinks he stepped down or issued a genuine apology is a fool. He was dropped the moment he released that trashcan of a video response. No doubt somebody sobered him up with that forced ass apology.

He cancelled himself.

Wait, quadrupling? Have I missed more nonsense from him?

I saw the insta video where he claimed (without evidence) that he had already apologized.

Then the tweet where he quits the oscars and "apologizes" for his "insensitive words" <--so weak

Then another tweet where he apologizes for hurting gay people and talks about how he's evolving and all about positivity.

Oh wow! Did he also quote MLK? Lol.

So, have I got everything or am I missing some other rant/stupidity?

Oct 26, 2017
I think you guy are taking him too literally. I don't think he's actually a bigot

I'll put this in easy terms

Let's take an extreme situation: if you run over someone with your car, it won't matter which direction you were heading in, whether you intended to kill someone when you left your house that day, how you feel after, etc. the impact of your actions, regardless of intentions, has an impact on that person and people who love them. Intent is meant to judge how responsible you are and what repercussion happen but the point is the impact remains the same regardless of what is going on in your head.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wait, quadrupling? Have I missed more nonsense from him?

I saw the insta video where he claimed (without evidence) that he had already apologized.

Then the tweet where he quits the oscars and "apologizes" for his "insensitive words" <--so weak

Then another tweet where he apologizes for hurting gay people and talks about how he's evolving and all about positivity.

Oh wow! Did he also quote MLK? Lol.

So, have I got everything or am I missing some other rant/stupidity?
Double down was rolling stone in 2015. Triple was his "I'm so happy!" Tweet before the ultimatum. Quad was his Instagram video.

FullMetalx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Defending Homophobia. History of Severe Infractions.
I'll put this in easy terms

Let's take an extreme situation: if you run over someone with your car, it won't matter which direction you were heading in, whether you intended to kill someone when you left your house that day, how you feel after, etc. the impact of your actions, regardless of intentions, has an impact on that person and people who love them. Intent is meant to judge how responsible you are and what repercussion happen but the point is the impact.

I get what you're saying but I mean in his comedic way Kevin Hart is not exactly wrong. Come on...I feel like reality is that if most parents had a preference they probably wouldn't want their child to be gay. Not because it's wrong or not "normal" but you're almost guaranteed to face some sort of hardship or discrimination growing up which can definitely be overcome. But it's also true that most parents wouldn't be capable or have the capacity to help their child overcome these hurdles. Some parents just want smooth sailing. We all know how bad some of these parents are in "normal" situations

Oct 26, 2017
I get what you're saying but I mean in his comedic way Kevin Hart is not exactly wrong. Come on...I feel like reality is that if most parents had a preference they probably wouldn't want their child to be gay. Not because it's wrong or not "normal" but you're almost guaranteed to face some sort of hardship or discrimination growing up which can definitely be overcome. But it's also true that most parents wouldn't be capable or have the capacity to help their child overcome these hurdles. Some parents just want smooth sailing. We all know how bad some of these parents are in "normal" situations

That sounds like a parent who wouldn't do anything to stand up for their kid.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
When Cher's daughter came out (at the time as lesbian) she flipped out, thought she had done something wrong, cried etc. She's talked about this at length, how she changed and appreciated what Chaz went through, and they are close, loves and accepts him and she's an advocate. PFLAG is a support group advocacy for parents of gay kids, Harts feelings/fears are common, but with time and thought counseling most parents come to terms.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Hart is homophobic. End of story.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw his Instagram video addressing why he isn't apologizing, I mean if he address it before and it's something he said in 2010 I'm with him his in a different mindset from when he said it. Sucks he stepped down for the Oscar was only going to watch it cause of him Ima pass now.

If it was me I would say just apologize cause people will come after him more, now, but I can also understand why he doesn't want to cause he said he already address the issue before and many times according to him.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Being born gay is "normal" btw. We aren't abnormal, and any hardships we face for being born gay are because fucks like this guy treat it as abnormal. So stop using that as an excuse for him.