• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First forums were the Nintendo.com forums back in 04. That got shut down in 06 or 07 I think? Around Wiis launch I want to say? Though I was also on ign then. From 05 to..... probably 2012ish? I got approved on the old site in like 2011 or 2010 so I moved completely to there after that happen and haven't been to ign since they changed there login and I lost my account.

Not that it's a topic about our histories like that lol. Though the oldest site I still refresh is definitely go nintendo.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the major sites the only other gaming site/forums I frequented and posted at was RPG Maker Pavilion. Not sure if they're even active anymore but it had a pretty fun community back in the day.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Anyone remember Daily Radar? I really enjoyed that site. Their review system was Direct Hit, Hit, Miss, and Dud. Something like that.

VoidCelestial

Oct 10, 2020
My first forum was BasilMarket for the MMO MapleStory. Then I went into GuildWars2Guru. After that I just migrated to and stayed on reddit for years and I still use that. Then, finally I'm here. That sums up my forum journey.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
GameFAQs boards was tolerable troll level back then but now it's devolved into a bunch of kids. It's crazy.

The GameFAQs boards I go on are actually populated by a bunch of dues in their 30s who still like to act like they're 14. It's like an alternate universe where people stayed frozen in the year 2004.

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
It's a little frightening to be reminded that we're slowly approaching 20 years since the GIA went kaput. How times slip by...

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
VGMusic.com was the place to be pre-youtube and when internet speeds were slow. Instant access to all the midis! Still up, too, with the exact same design.

vglogo4.jpg

Also Animal Crossing Community was my first forum and it's similarly not really changed much, though its design was surprisingly forward thinking in many regards. Was honestly a really safe space back in the day, glad I started there and not like, Reddit or something

It's still a decent source of patterns and town tunes, too

wow, i completely forgot about VGmusic. Amazing.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
In the late '90s and early '00s there was this site that was like the wiki for game cheats and walkthroughs. I wish I still knew the website's name.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Sonic CulT and it's sister site, NightsintoDreams.com (to a lesser extent)

Goodness, they were "fun" back then, with new hacks and seeing people like Stealth start there before SonicRetro.. but damn, edgy humor and shit devolved after 2006. Digi is on YouTube now and is a cool dude, so that's good.

There was another forum I frequented that was basically an 80s theme one, but the video game section was nice. Met many people to play Gears and things on the Wii as well. Shut down after 2009.

Wii60 forums were great during the first year, but got very divided after. Saw no point going back after I got my PS3 from a buy thread on the old site lol.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Am I the only one who went to Nintendorks?

You are not the only one -- that's what I came here to post, too. That site was my fav as a preteen, I thought it was hilarious. Savored every scrap of it. Who knows how it's aged.

Other regulars apart from the big ones (IGN, GameSpot, 1UP) were Daily Radar, Sean Baby and Planet GameCube. Internet nostalgia is weird, but here we are.

Nov 28, 2017
The place most of us here came from...
GameTrailers
Old IGN
Cheatcc
GameFAQs
Detstar
VGMusic
AssemblerGames
GBAtemp
Idk why but N4G

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
I used to frequent a series of message boards on the MGON network way back in the day. Think it must be going on 20 years now.

More recently than that (but still a while ago);
Allakhazam and Thottbot for World of Warcraft info and FilePlanet for various game patches.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ScrewAttack.com and GameTrailers.com
cause they were ahaed its time (YouTube was starting to be a thing) and GT had a lot of SA exclusive stuff + the AVGN.
Also N-Zone.de as my second forum, after the german Nintendo 24/7 closed just weeks me joining it and many went to that place.
It is still there and running but I kinda grew out of it... dunno

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
When I was real little I used to be on some site called Pgamers (pocket gamer), I remember an admin named Gucci.
GameTrailers I was big on for a while.

Last edited:

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Altimit Corporation. An ARG that was made to advertise the .Hack//G.U games when they were releasing. I seem to be the only one around the internet that knew that thing existed outside the small discord server filled with old members that I'm in. I used to post on the GiantBomb forums quite a bit which obviously still exist but is kind of a ghost town. OnRPG when I went through my F2P MMORPG phase.

Not too many gaming forums in my past actually. Mostly anime and those are best forgotten honestly.

Last edited:

soul

Oct 27, 2017
Man the 90s website designs were wild.
I wish we could go back to simpler times when all you had to do was know how to create tables in HTML and add elements in JS.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
CMGSCCC (Code Masters Game Shark Code Creators Club) - I used to hack PS2 codes back in the day, to this day I have some credits with certain games.

TheGFCC - GameShark/CodeBreaker stuff

GameWinners - I used to love looking up PS1/N64 cheat codes on this website as a kid

GameFAQs - Great place for guides back in the day!

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
DSmeet/ABXY was great for getting games in DS games, I got a few good Pokemon trades from there at the time. I'm pretty sure I was the leader of a small clan at some point despite being a literal child lmao

McleodGaming was the one I have the most fond memories of. I got really close with a lot of people through the Smash Flash 2 threads and I think this is where all my Smash discussion was in the Brawl Dojo days so you can imagine how having a good community to discuss things in would make things even better. I still find myself wondering where some of those people ended up all this time later. I'm pretty sure I got some content into Smash Flash 2 but I never ended up playing it after all that 😅

GameFAQs was another big one, of course. But it ended up getting too... you know. And I say that knowing I wasn't the greatest of role models on there at the time lol

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
GLF-Gamers Liberation Front, it was small but solid board of real gamers, good posts! I think it was called something else before that, but I can't remember

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Pso-world was a big one for me.

and their maybe sister site, Was ro-world? (Ragnarok online)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Gamecenter.com was my first regular site I visited. It's been dead for over two decades now, which is crazy to think about.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Happy Puppy! Glad to see every listed.

Team Xbox.. f*** that place. A bunch of racist bigots rubbing that place. I remember mods there arguing if gay people were intelligent enough to vote. And if blacks deserve any kind of justice. So glad that site died.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only person who remembers the InsertCredit and SelectButton forums, right?

Also a huge fan of Jeremy Parish back when he was just "ToastyFrog" and ranting about Xenogears hilarious misuse of religion on his blog.

Adding another shoutout to Madman's Cafe! ...Which surprisingly looks to still be around, though it seems to be a shell of its former self.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
nintendo.com was the very first website i ever visited. This was in the 90s.

GameFAQs was and still is amazing if you disregard its forums and communities.

other than that, i can't think of any.

Nintendo.com was the first website I visited when my family got onto the Internet in 1997. This was around the time Banjo Kazooie was announced for the N64. But I still read gaming magazines for three or four years after that to keep up on news and reviews,

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VGMusic.com was the place to be pre-youtube and when internet speeds were slow. Instant access to all the midis! Still up, too, with the exact same design.

vglogo4.jpg

Also Animal Crossing Community was my first forum and it's similarly not really changed much, though its design was surprisingly forward thinking in many regards. Was honestly a really safe space back in the day, glad I started there and not like, Reddit or something

It's still a decent source of patterns and town tunes, too
is this the site that had a game music radio station and you could request music? i remember listening to it all the time but i forgot the name of the site. i know i definitely went on this site though.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
N64.com which became IGN64.

Sharp Gaming which became Project Reality I believe

Nintendorks

What was that one...planet GameCube?

Nintendojo

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
BattleForums, one of the biggest fan forums for Blizzard games. Used to waste a lot of time there.