• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
mXviIMa.jpg

Rockin' Kats (NES, 1991)

Top_Gear_3000_Coverart.png

Top Gear 3000 (SNES, 1995)

SIUXIOk.jpg

Top Gear Rally (N64, 1997)

qF5kzxB.jpg

Free Enterprise (Windows, 1996)

d0MVAfV.jpg

SimIsle (Windows, 1995)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For such a great shooter I never hear anyone bring up Gaiares on Genesis.

Terrible US cover:
PGsFsaU.jpg

Way better Japanese cover:
qIAp5B5.jpg

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Project Horned Owl - Pretty decent light gun game for the PS1. We played this a lot back in the day. I still remember the ending credits theme. So fuckin' 90's

ps1_project_horned_owl-120314.jpg

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
How do you even remember that? I think I was in fifth grade or something when I played and I just remember all the cute creatures and the different ways to herd them.
Well, I was around 25 when I played it. And I have never experienced that game with loading times that bad before. Not sure I have since. At any rate, I remember it being so frustrating that I gave up after about an hour and traded in the game. It left an impression on me, but not a good one.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Freedom Force
6bc9e8fab399db051fcdd41a5acebf4becf3a8915d0760e463231d5e38b6422b_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

This was a kind of real time strategy game with pause functions revolving around superheroes and heavily inspired by the silver age, with onomatopeias, panels and more to enforce the old comic book feel.

It left us with a charming and fun game that i dearly wish had gotten more attention, also, this is from the guys behind Bioshock...yep, not kidding about that.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
R.A.D. was a fun mech-centered arena fighter where each analogue stick controlled an arm. I've only played it a few times and I think it was one of latter titles I remember with the Enix name before they merged with Squaresoft. It's worth a quick playthrough. That being said I've never met anyone who has even heard of it.

220px-RADcover.jpg
I love Robot Alchemic Drive so much, and I wish sandlot would revisit the idea on modern hardware. The story in particular is awful in the best ways. My favourite story moment is when you can choose to intentionally destroy a supermarket to help your girlfriend's part time job at a small shop nearby. Meanwhile the love interest cant afford food while the player character has control of a gigantic family fortune.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Culture Brain trio of Super Chinese/Ninja Brothers/Ninja Boys, Flying Warriors and Magic of Scheherazade:
large.2122921747_SuperChinese2StrategyGuide.jpg.43328813959f3169771aaed9c771de0d.jpg
cover_large.jpg
1446-1.jpg

Games that were big on hybrid gameplay. Super Chinese games were traditional RPGs ...
super-ninja-boy.png

... where you battles are fought beat 'em up styled arena, ...
Super-Ninja-Boy-FI-e1423105632296.png

... while some boss battles are fought classic turn based.
Image_060517_140908_00019.bmp

Flying Warriors are side-scroller action games with some platforming, ...
hqdefault.jpg

... where boss battles are fought semi-fighting game style, ...
flying-warriors.png

... and some are fought like turn-based RPG battles.
flywar-1.png

Magic of Scheherazade is a top down adventure game similar to LoZ, where you battle enemies on the screen, ...
71390-the-magic-of-scheherazade-nes-screenshot-sea-creatures-spit.gif

... and other times, through turn-based battles (Dragon Quest-esque).
gfs_39657_2_6.jpg

That kinda hybrid shit tripped me out back in the day.

People talk a lot about his hair though.
510JF3FZQ9L._AC_SX215_.jpg
That was Nomura's "bad era", IMO. When a lot of his characters were their most angular, sharp and spiky. When he wanted to make characters that looked like anthropomorphic tribal tattoos. I hated that era of Square Enix/Nomura games.

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Mischief%20Makers.jpg

I can't recall if it was actually a "good" platformer, but I rented multiple times and beat it multiple times. A property I'd love to see return, honestly.
Without fail I think of Mischief Makers every time l listen to Basement Jaxx's Red Alert.

"The way you shake, shake, shake shake!"

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Powerslave. FPS set in Egypt, loved it but I have never heard another person talk about it ever.
Wasn't there a DF Retro on this game? I just remember talking about it in that thread, and being surprised on how expensive it's been lately.
Is Turrican II any good? I just know it's on the Super NT (or maybe it was the DC of Turrican 1... I can't rightly remember now). I remember Cannon Fodder from back when I was in middle school. I barely played it, but I remember my friends being way into if for some reason.

The only time I've seen Hero's Quest/ Quest for Glory mentioned here was when I brought it up. I loved this game as a kid, and even though I played it a lot I never beat it until I had to go spend a month in a hospital back in 2013.

Also, another game I played a lot as a kid was Wizardry 7. I see Wizardry 8 brought up every now and then, but never 7. I didn't like 8 that much the brief time I spent with it...

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My old demo discs probably have loads of these kinds of games.

Only times I saw any mention of Baldies were a few old online articles namedropping it as one of the worst RTS games.
I loved (the demo) as a kid!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Culture Brain trio of Super Chinese/Ninja Brothers/Ninja Boys, Flying Warriors and Magic of Scheherazade:
large.2122921747_SuperChinese2StrategyGuide.jpg.43328813959f3169771aaed9c771de0d.jpg
cover_large.jpg
1446-1.jpg

Games that were big on hybrid gameplay. Super Chinese games were traditional RPGs ...
super-ninja-boy.png

hqdefault.jpg

flying-warriors.png

flywar-1.png

Magic of Scheherazade is a top down adventure game similar to LoZ, where you battle enemies on the screen, ...

gfs_39657_2_6.jpg

That was Nomura's "bad era", IMO. When a lot of his characters were their most angular, sharp and spiky. When he wanted to make characters that looked like anthropomorphic tribal tattoos. I hated that era of Square Enix/Nomura games.

Those games and Kung-Fu Heroes were great.
252px-KungFuHeroes_frontcover.png

Last edited:

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
There's like dozens of threads discussing Legend of Dragoon on era, and there's always mini off topic discussions about Legaia inside all of them haha

Dozens is probably hyperbole, both games are pretty popular on JRPG era anyway.

Legaia is one of my favs. Not an huge fan of Dragoon but i enjoyed the game.

Dragoon was like a rip off of FF7 aesthetically, the story kept on though. Legaia was fleshed out better than it's art direction let on

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019
CLT
Such a fun game. One of the N64 games I made sure to get a copy of.
Gotta love the Beastector fellows. Nobody does this kind of Voltron shit any more, and video games have suffered dearly for it. Bosses suck these days.

Anyway I did a quick check and seems like I'm one of maybe five people who's even name-dropped Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour on here which isn't just one of the singular best mascot kart-style racing games of its era, it's also chock full of fun Disney World (and Disneyland) Easter Eggs and other references

Two things: Yes, there is always room for more robot-forming action in video games. Why there isn't is completely beyond me.

Secondly, totally agreed on Magical Racing Tour. My best friend's wife has her original copy and we play it whenever we get a chance. We're the only ones we know who remember it but it was definitely better than its peers.

"Shake shake!"

I had a ton of fun with this game when I was younger. I don't think I ever collected all of the collectible to get the full ending scene :(
Without fail I think of Mischief Makers every time l listen to Basement Jaxx's Red Alert.

"The way you shake, shake, shake shake!"

All of this makes me unbelievably happy for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets this game stuck in their head occasionally. Especially "Shake! Shake!"
Mischief Makers is pretty popular now, is one of the most talked "cult classic" N64 games these days.

In fact I think every single Treasure game has a strong niche, even the "not that great" ones... and even prototypes (that PS2 Tiny Toons game, for example).

Eh, fair enough. Maybe I don't get out enough I've just never met anyone beyond the friends I had who've witnessed the game tell me they know of the game. Of course, I don't consume a ton of video-game related media online so that could be the problem.

How about this one then?

stay_tooned.jpg

I can't even seem to find a properly maintained copy of this game online- not even in the various abandonware repositories out there.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Donkey_Kong_Jungle_Beat_Coverart.jpg

I rarely see someone mentions it at the very least.

Even when I see people make their "favorite EAD Tokyo games", "favorite DK games" or even "favorite GC games" lists, it's always forgotten somehow :p

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Worst loading times I think I've ever seen in a game.
Oh yeah, I remember the atrocious loading times now too for Herdy Gerdy! It was the only game I've seen where getting to the end of the loading process bar simply loads a second loading screen and another bar.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I rarely see people talking about super tennis on the SNES, not even on "great tennis games" lists

One of the best SNES game for me

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
cover_large.jpg
1446-1.jpg

super-ninja-boy.png

hqdefault.jpg

flying-warriors.png

flywar-1.png

gfs_39657_2_6.jpg

I whole heartedly agree with this post!

The Super Chinese games were fantastic as was Magic of Scheherazade :D

I miss Culture Brain ;-;

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
220px-Bugs_Bunny_-_Lost_in_Time_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

220px-Bugs_and_Taz_Time_Busters_Game_Cover.jpg

I love these two games so much, I never see people talk about them.

Never played the sequel, but Bugs Bunny Lost in Time was some heat. It's really fun and great if you are a Looney Tunes fan.

Speaking of which, there's another Looney Tunes game that, while not as obscure as some others, get more overlooked than it should:

sheep-raider-em-portugus-playstation-1-D_NQ_NP_17450-MLB20138045409_072014-O.webp

Legitimately a good puzzle-stealth game with some fire music.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Crusader_of_Centy_Coverart.png

Crusaders of Centy. Amazing RPG for its time, cheesy but in a strangely nice way.

Drakan_-_Order_of_the_Flame_Coverart.png

Drakan : Order of the flame. I'm actually playing this one right now and it's suprisingly good. Goofy cinematics but the combat is interesting and the map design not at all bad. Trying to get the hang of the dragon.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is Turrican II any good? I just know it's on the Super NT (or maybe it was the DC of Turrican 1... I can't rightly remember now). I remember Cannon Fodder from back when I was in middle school. I barely played it, but I remember my friends being way into if for some reason.
I played it on the C64 and yes, it was fucking incredible. Manfred ftw.

On topic: Galleon, which if I recall correctly was touted as Toby Gard's "Tomb Raider-beater" and made Edge's front cover, and then released later to absolutely no fanfare whatsoever.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
nintendo-demon-sword-used-800x800.jpg

I used to play this game on NES all of the time and never see it mentioned. It's been so long that I don't even remember if it's any good, just that it was fast and floaty. Hell, I don't even know why I thought of it all of the sudden.

Talk about a misleading North American cover, too. Dude looks like Conan compared to your character sprite and the Japanese art.

fudou-269x360.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Obsidian_Coverart.png

Obsidian is one of the best Myst clones made in the 90s. In fact, I think it's better than Myst in that it's much more focused and gives you better direction. I know it wasn't a very popular game, but I have never seen anyone on the internet talk about it.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017

OZone, it was published by EA back in 1997, developed iirc by an Israeli company, an air combat game where you play as aliens who went to earth to bring a gift of peace, but their messages were misinterpreted by the humans, who nuke their mother ship, and the remaining aliens have to fight each other to get back home. I was actually blown away to have found this video, for years there was almost nothing regarding the game online, save for a few references on forums.

Last edited:

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Mighty Final Fight for the NES, a great beat'em up with SD versions of the Final Fight characters, everything is fun, cute and just plain awesome but it isn't mentioned as much as the Double Dragon games or Battletoads, and yet i still think of Mighty Final Fight as better than them:
3_mighty_final_fight.jpg

And a great version more fun than the SNES port of the first game as well.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I love this game and hate this game.

Legacyofthewizard.jpg
I got this game for Christmas one year. It.....was not a merry christmas.

The Magic of Scheherazade
s-l300.jpg

It was like a cross between Legend of Zelda and Chrono Trigger. Every once in awhile I'll hear somebody talk about this game but not often. Personally, I think it's the best NES game made.

Scheherezade is probably in my personal top five NES games of all time. I love this game so much and wish it had a higher profile.