• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
740full-twinsen%27s-odyssey-cover.jpg

There's any Neo Geo game cover that Shinkiro didn't make?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I will continue to bring this up in every one of these threads:

Final_Fantasy_XII_-_Revenant_Wings_Coverart.png

This game is such a treasure, and was very overlooked when it came out. God I miss the glory days of the DS and PSP.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Seicross on NES.
Got it as a gift from my parents one year and wondered what I had done to be punished.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody talks about Rolo to the Rescue but it was one of the best Mega Drive games. EA, remake when?!?

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crystalis. I've said it a million times but it's a shame that no one talks about that little NES masterpiece. You can ride a dolphin, equip super high jumping boots, disguise yourself to sneak into an Amazonian Town, use paralyze spells to sneak past guards...so much going on. I cannot believe Zelda 1 gets any kudos are far as modern audiences go.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
51HEEXATK8L._AC_.jpg

i don't actually know how influential it was or anything, but the longest journey was my gateway to adventure games so i'll always have a soft spot for it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

I only ever had the demo for this game, but it was amazing. Lots of fun.

Heart of Darkness PS1/PC. It was a game that appears as if its targeted at kids but it was terrifying.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So, this is a game that I'm sure people are at least aware of but I pretty much never see any discussion of, Dune II on the PC. It was one of the first RTS games and was a ton of fun. I'm surprised this game doesn't have more of a legacy.

D2-1.jpg

I mean, it created the RTS genre as is exists today. There were strategy games before it, but just like Wolf 3d did for shooters, Dune 2 created the template for it and birthed it as a genre with rules and design features to follow.

Its the grandfather of the entire RTS genre. It has a pretty good legacy. But i guess its also similar to wolf in this aspect as well, that people dont talk much about it today. Its because Command&Conquer came out a bit later and was an improvement in every possible area. Then Red Alert came out and that game plays just like an RTS from today. Dune 2, much like Warcraft 1 are a bit rough in the controlling armies aspect, the build aspect.

Other than that, of course you're not gonna see it discused on resetera, which is the most console focused forum on the world wide web

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
People bring up Metal Arms Glitch in the System as a hidden gem on the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube.
Magitsbox.jpg

but a game I never see people talk about is Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. loved that game and its progression system on PS2. didnt have the network adapter for PS2 but I had plenty of fun getting max stars in the campaign. the last Battlefield I actually enjoyed too...
Battlefield_2_-_Modern_Combat_Coverart.jpg

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
- Speedy Eggbert for the PC. This one isn't so old (very early 20000s' I think?), but I can't believe it isn't well known at all. Speedy Eggbert was a simple platformer starred by a yellow egg called Blupi. The actual game wasn't so interesting, the truly fun part was the level editor with levels you could share online and play on co-op. It's basically Mario Maker but like 15 years before, why isn't it more known?
I loved Speedy Eggbert! I think about it every now and then.

I feel like the world forgot about Impossible Creatures. But I didn't. I want an animal splicing RTS with today's tech.

Oh my freaking god, I'm not the only one who knows about Speedy Eggbert. I grew up playing those games and thought no one else has played them since they're pretty obscure. And yeah, they're all free to download nowadays on the official website, I just discovered it the other day.

Edit: I remember Eggbert Mania as being a pretty good puzzle game. It's worth trying if you guys haven't before.

I bet no one in this forum has played this though:

51K37JMGH5L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
So, this is a game that I'm sure people are at least aware of but I pretty much never see any discussion of, Dune II on the PC. It was one of the first RTS games and was a ton of fun. I'm surprised this game doesn't have more of a legacy.

D2-1.jpg

Believe it or not, this game had a Mega Drive/Genesis version and it was bloody good. Even had all the digitised speech.

There was a cool fun little strategy game called King Arthur's World on SNES. It was developed by Argonaut Software.

The best I could describe this game would be Lemmings + RTS. It is a Real Time Strategy game in which you train troops in barracks with different abilities, as well as catapults and ballistas, but what's interesting about it is that it's a side scroller.

ka.900x.jpg

It's also notable for being one of the few games that supported the SNES Mouse, and that's the way I played it.

Pelting enemy infantry from afar with a shower of arrows was immensely satisfying.

A have a great fondness for this game, it's so incredibly of it's time and it there really was nothing else quite like it. The chain reactions you could set off with explosions and fire were great fun, it had an almost sandbox feel to it. Another random fact about it is that it supports surround sound.

oh no oh yes the music from the CD version is already in my head

war
never been so much fun
war
never been so much fun
Go to your Brother, kill him with your gun, leave him dying in his uniform, dying in the sun

WAR.

If you guys haven't seem Kim Justice's video on Sensible Software, I highly recommend it. Jon Hare seems like a genuinely cool guy and always seems happy to talk about their exploits back then.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go with Metal Walker for GBC. It did get occasionally brought up when Monster Strike was popular, but I haven't seen it mentioned since that faded (outside of Japan).

It was a pretty cool RPG with idk how to describe it, shuffleboard (?) combat.

Oh, and Robopon, another GBC game, it was pretty blatantly just robot Pokemon. Execution wasn't perfect, but it was interesting.

Loving all the Legaia mentions, one of my favorite games.

Lol, didn't this come preinstalled with Windows 95?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
!!e!U31!BmM~$(KGrHqMOKjME0d2QwSVIBNP3zdPh!Q~~_1.JPG
Only acknowledged as "that game that the composer of Secret of Mana made that later birthed Shadow Hearts. A cool SRPG/survival horror hybrid.

4556_front.jpg
One of the most forgotten Atlus developed games ever, had SMT and Persona creators work on the game including Okada and Kaneko along with Final Fantasy series artist Yoshitaka Amano do all of the character designs/promo art. Never seen it discussed, ever.

51AV7FAJ70L._SX466_.jpg
That one time Atlus made a survival horror game. Amazing first person horror game way ahead of its time. Another forgotten Atlus game.

51XKd1QFN4L._SY445_.jpg
Made by a UK developer known at the time as Domark, who would later be known as...Eidos Interactive! Loved this game as a kid, very colourful and fun action platformer.

220px-Evergrace_Coverart.png
From Software's most forgotten fantasy Action RPG. Features some similar concepts later perfected in their later games. Very rough around the edges but such a weird game.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For only 3 playable characters, legend of legaia was deeper and longer than I expected as a kid.

I raise you legend of dragoon

flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

There's like dozens of threads discussing Legend of Dragoon on era, and there's always mini off topic discussions about Legaia inside all of them haha

Dozens is probably hyperbole, both games are pretty popular on JRPG era anyway.

Legaia is one of my favs. Not an huge fan of Dragoon but i enjoyed the game.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
ecstatica

112614-ecstatica-dos-other.jpg

completely bizarre 3d horror/adventure game, featuring puzzle solving & some combat. you can choose to play as male or female. includes werewolves, dead priests, & scenes of torture & debauchery (both featuring nudity). hell, you can even choose the 'bad' ending, where, instead of rescuing the princess, you opt for luxuriating at an endless orgy! &, no, i'm not kidding:

44_1.jpg

they just don't make'm like this anymore :) ...

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was only in one of those MS Plus! packs. It wasn't a pre-install thing like Minesweeper or Solitaire.
Ah, that must be it. I also remember playing a lot of Ski-Free, Tut's Tomb, and Chip's Challenge with it.

Chip's Challenge is another good one for this topic, I've never seen it mentioned here despite being a pretty big title on older computers (Atari or Amiga? I don't remember which).

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
When looking for box art I saw the Japanese release got a much better one than what we got in the states: I remember getting it from Toys R Us I think:

Ab25Sok.jpg

I still get the "Release me, I want to be free." in my head even now almost 20 years after playing it.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
220px-Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

220px-Bloodrayne2_ps2_front.JPG

I love both games. I know its not cool to like Bloodrayne 2 at all, but it was one of my favorite character action games of the PS2 era. It would be interesting to see someone do something new with the IP.
Treasure of the Deep is just a ton of fun. Most underwater games are shit and this one does take a bit to get used to the controls, but its a fun ride once you get the hang of it. Great music too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of DOS games I rarely see mentioned much:
Jazz Jackrabbit
Commander Keen
Halloween Harry
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
The 2D Duke Nukems
Monster Bash (one of my favorites)

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
220px-Bugs_Bunny_-_Lost_in_Time_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

220px-Bugs_and_Taz_Time_Busters_Game_Cover.jpg

I love these two games so much, I never see people talk about them.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh my freaking god, I'm not the only one who knows about Speedy Eggbert. I grew up playing those games and thought no one else has played them since they're pretty obscure. And yeah, they're all free to download nowadays on the official website, I just discovered it the other day.

Edit: I remember Eggbert Mania as being a pretty good puzzle game. It's worth trying if you guys haven't before.

I bet no one in this forum has played this though:

51K37JMGH5L._AC_SY400_.jpg
I actually had some sort of collection with most EGame's games, so chances are I played it :p. If I did it got deleted from my memory though.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
s-l300.jpg

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't had a remake or something by now, it was an interesting puzzle game that released for all the systems that gen.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From's Xbox-exclusive action game, Otogi: Myth of Demons. It did have somewhat floaty controls, and it was worse than the top character action games of the time (Shinobi, DMC, Ninja Gaiden), but the aesthetic elements were amazing, and the gameplay was solid. Despite the Souls-like elements on full display here, in the crapsack world, how the lore is presented to the character, echoes of horror, and so on, I feel like people don't really talk about this game, or its sequel.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers (or Quack Attack in some regions)

disneys-donald-duck-goin-quackers.jpg

A surprisingly half decent Ubisoft developed Crash Bandicoot clone that (If I recall correctly?) runs on the Rayman 2 engine. Came out on damn near every available platform at the time, though I have the fondest memories of the N64 and Dreamcast versions. It always gets lost in the shuffle when people talk about licensed Disney games though.

Anyway I did a quick check and seems like I'm one of maybe five people who's even name-dropped Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour on here which isn't just one of the singular best mascot kart-style racing games of its era, it's also chock full of fun Disney World (and Disneyland) Easter Eggs and other references

This game is the fucking shit. Still bring out the Dreamcast version every now and then.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ardy Lightfoot, Whizz, Tazmanian Devil, Powerranger Zeo Racing game (forgot what its called, like fzero)

All SNES games

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
1362910772_battleheart.jpg

Easily one of the best mobile games Ive ever played.

EDIT: I figured it counts as old being released when mobile (phone) games were becoming big.