• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have been looking at the price of Order of Ecclesia, and saw it is now worse between 100-200 dollars depending places. Silent hill3 for PC is pretty expensive as well, often sold for 100 euros. Battle for Middle Earth games are also expensive. I understand it is because copies are scarce, but I wish some games came on digital stores, and licenses were renewed for those that need that .What games do you want to get whose price is insane currently?

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Going in the other direction, a game I own that I recently sold was Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the price of £80. I picked the game up for way, way cheaper back in the day.

Oct 25, 2017
I sold a used copy of Rule of Rose for $200. I had to scrape off the gunk left by the $9.99 GameStop sticker.

Order of Ecclesia is nowhere close. Used copies basically cost what it was at launch. That's fairly normal for the few games that grow in reputation but don't get re-released. SaGa Frontier is the same way, with used copies being about the original price, and sealed copies being $200, because it grew in reputation but had at least decent sales back in the day.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I sold a used copy of Rule of Rose for $200. I had to scrape off the gunk left by the $9.99 GameStop sticker.

Order of Ecclesia is nowhere close. Used copies basically cost what it was new.
I played more than half of Role of Rose, not my favourite horror game (hence why I never finished it) but I think its mad it goes for that much.

Although, has there ever been an instance when a rare physical game would get a new digital re-release and the price would then go down for the physical copies?

Oct 25, 2017
I played more than half of Role of Rose, not my favourite horror game (hence why I never finished it) but I think its mad it goes for that much.

Although, has there ever been an instance when a rare physical game would get a new digital re-release and the price would then go down for the physical copies?

Yes. Suikoden 2 dropped a ton, but is now climbing back up, but is still lower than the previous high.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Somewhat related but a while back I remember walking into my local Gamestop and casually asking for Ikaruga and the clerk just laughed. That's when I learned about high prices on highly coveted titles.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

It happens sometimes. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for PS2 and Dreamcast are worth about half what they were before the digital re-releases.

However, other stuff like Duck Tales 2 are still north of $150 despite the Disney Afternoon Collection so there's no set rule on it.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really surprised Skies of Arcadia is going for over $100 on Dreamcast, I remember picking it up for $25 back in the day.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah US copy of Grandia.... when it came out on PSN it was super easy to get a copy for like 20-30$ mint..... not anymore.... the price got back up.

I don't think any Rare/Super Expensive game worth the asking price. Even Snatcher is my favorite game of alll time doesn't worth the 600$ asking for....

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Everytime I see a garage sale with old gamestuff I always think I'm going to find a used copy of Earthbound some Mom is getting rid of without knowing what she has.

emigre

Dec 9, 2017
I recently found out Persona 3 FES was going for £90 at Cex. I paid £12 for my copy nine years ago.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I recently decided to acquire Chrono Trigger for DS and it's being hard to find it for less than 50 euros.
My friend bought a new copy less than a year ago for 20.
Based on that now im kinda going after other DS games I want in my collection before they get too expensive.
I am noticing a price increase on the first Nier for X360 too after the success of automata.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered Ordered of Ecclesia 2-3 years for $15 and now I'm incredibly glad I jumped on it. I also got Home Improvement complete on eBay a couple years ago for $29 and yeah that one skyrocketed too.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My local retro shop has Rule of Rose creeping up toward $400 and Haunting Ground up at $200 now. I remember when both were going for around $80 several years back. This store is one that people make a point to visit when they come here, so I know their pricing is always current with going rates. I believe Jason from Giant Bomb went there and bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for $500 a year or two back.

Gravity Rush on PS4 is hard to find now and last time I checked, was nearing $100. Some of the Limited Run Games stuff seems to be up there too. The Shantae games are all up over $100 on both Switch and PS4.

I look forward to when Vita stuff is crazy expensive. I don't have a huge collection or anything, but I think the day will come when some of the better stuff on Vita that can be played on the TV units will end up being pricey.

Right now we seem to be entering the period where PS2, Gamecube, and OG Xbox stuff is sought after. I think PS1, N64, and Dreamcast stuff will stay around where its been for years, but I think everything that came after will start creeping up over the years. It'll be real interesting to see what happens if Sony says the PS5 will play all generations of discs. I think then we might really see some good jumps.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It's not thaaaaat old, but Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Gamecube. Amazon's listing is for $300+, and there are multiple ebay listings right now that bids are up over $150. But that's not super surprising since it didn't sell that great & was on the smallest install base of the generation so the supply is pretty limited. Luckily I still have my original copy. The sequel Radiant Dawn for Wii still costs like $80 as well, but not in the same league as Path of Radiance.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Recently liquidated my Dreamcast library on eBay and I was surprised how much Cannon Spike was selling for. (Around $200)

I bought it from Capcom's online store for $20 back in the day.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Conkers Bad Fur Day is worth over a hundred now I think. That's the most valuable game I own.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's not thaaaaat old, but Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Gamecube. Amazon's listing is for $300+, and there are multiple ebay listings right now that bids are up over $150. But that's not super surprising since it didn't sell that great & was on the smallest install base of the generation so the supply is pretty limited. Luckily I still have my original copy. The sequel Radiant Dawn for Wii still costs like $80 as well, but not in the same league as Path of Radiance.

Not surprising but certainly unacceptable.
It bothers me to no end that Nintendo seems uninterested in re-releasing their GC library aside from Zelda.
Though the real people to blame in this situation are the ones willing to shell out so much money just to get a pretty box to put on their shelf.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Games that get re-releases do drop in price, yes. Off the top of my head MvC2 when released on PS3/360 tanked the price of physical copies, though since delisted the price has began climbing again.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Recently liquidated my Dreamcast library on eBay and I was surprised how much Cannon Spike was selling for. (Around $200)

I bought it from Capcom's online store for $20 back in the day.

Same for me with Project Justice, bought for like 10$ when the dreamcast was crashing...

Sega-CD/Saturn is still the worse i think in general... Nearly every games worth 20$ minimum... and after that it jump like crazy...

Oct 27, 2017
I passed up Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground and Kuon like 50 times at GameCrazy back in the day.

Truth be told I probably wouldn't even be playing them but it would just be nice to have them since I Became a PS2 horror game collector About a year or so after they became extremely rare to find.

I have a weird conscience about reselling things though, if I put something down for an auction on eBay and it gets to 200 bucks, that's cool. But I would never buy something just to intentionally hike up the price on people. I know there's quite a few people on the day that would go looking for a rare games like that specifically to do just that, and that kind of sucks. But that's business.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 Plus goes for around $150-200 for CIB. A factory sealed one goes for around $400 usually.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hmm.....I've got a copy of that game that I played like 1 time. Looks in perfect condition

I came to a hard decision recently that so many of my old games are just collecting dust in the closest and I don't play them anymore, so I'm selling off anything that doesn't have real meaning to me. My Dreamcast, accessories, and games went first with PSP following and my Xbox 360 stuff going up next and then probably GBA after that.

Unfortunately so much of the PSP stuff isn't moving, so I'll probably have to list them as auctions soon.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm surprised at the price that Sonic CD goes for these days but then you compare it to just about any other Sega CD game and you realize it's not that bad.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was going to mention Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as well. I am glad I was able to find both those games at a local trade store for $85 (Path of Radiance) and $55 (Radiant Dawn).

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Not surprising but certainly unacceptable.
It bothers me to no end that Nintendo seems uninterested in re-releasing their GC library aside from Zelda.
Though the real people to blame in this situation are the ones willing to shell out so much money just to get a pretty box to put on their shelf.

I mean I don't think the game came close to selling even a million copies worldwide, so I can understand how it's not a high priority for them to remake/remaster like Windwaker & Twilight Princess HD remasters. But I do agree it's sad how Nintendo has moved away from the virtual console & their catalog of great games on gamecube and other legacy consoles.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Not sure about the US, but Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver is pretty bad here in Europe. Average price I find online is 200€. I am just lucky I found some people with apparently no idea about the games' worth who sold Heartgold to me in a bundle with White for 50€ via "eBay kleinanzeigen" (it's an eBay subservice that I don't think you have in the US, it basically Craigslist though, except I'd say eBay made the design a lot more user friendly).

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, retro collecting used to be a fairly chill hobby, but the last 10 years have seen some massive jumps as demand has increased. Nintendo stuff will especially always be highly sought after, even common Nintendo games sell for dumb prices these days.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm looking to do exactly that. What's the best way? Buy It Now, or traditional auction? And did you bundle ANY games with your console, or break it all down and sell everything separately?

Sold everything individually via buy it now. Looked at pricecharting and recently ended listings used those prices accordingly.

I took pictures of everything and gave the guys/gals in the B/S/T thread and Dreamcast OT first dibs though, knocking off the 10% that eBay would have taken in the process.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original boxed version for Diablo 1 PC was going for daft money (£80ish) when I looked. I managed to snag it for tenner (accepted my offer on eBay), so I guess he didnt realise (excellent condition too) ......... then GoG released it a couple of months later. I see people still trying to sell it for £100 on eBay, not sure if any are selling though.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
the first ps1 discworld seems to be a bit pricey now,II and noir prices are a bit all over the place but i still payed nowhere near that much when i got all three mint.

possibly the most expensive games i own.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sold everything individually via buy it now. Looked at pricecharting and recently ended listings used those prices accordingly.

I took pictures of everything and gave the guys/gals in the B/S/T thread and Dreamcast OT first dibs though, knocking off the 10% that eBay would have taken in the process.
Thanks! I didn't even think about the B/S/T thread here. I'll have to make sure I utilize that.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I recently heard about Rule of Rose, and remember seeing that in stores back in the day. Had no idea what it was. I also didn't realize that Order of Ecclesia got up in price, either.

What's the average price for Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and Metroid Prime Trilogy? I got both at launch and remember they got pretty pricey over the years, but MPT had a re-release. After a quick search, the Steelbook with game seems to be going for a decent bit still.

I have a factory sealed copy of Working Design's localization of Magic Knight Rayearth for Sega Saturn, and the last I checked, that was going for over $400 on eBay. Checked again, and there's a couple for over $1,000! Bought mine for $150 at a convention several years ago.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I mean I don't think the game came close to selling even a million copies worldwide, so I can understand how it's not a high priority for them to remake/remaster like Windwaker & Twilight Princess HD remasters. But I do agree it's sad how Nintendo has moved away from the virtual console & their catalog of great games on gamecube and other legacy consoles.

With Ike's increase in popularity I do think a Radiant Duology rerelease will happen eventually. IS might just not have the manpower for it at the moment.