• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I often play a game and wonder just how it might benefit from the newer display and color standards that HDR has brought.
I've considered various ways that I could maybe "hack" older gamers into HDR, however, I have a lot to learn before I can reach this point.
So what I thought I would do is have a look at some trailers and regrade them into HDR.

My goal is to keep the overall look (I don't want to break the art) but introduce some of the benefits of HDR.
So below is my first attempt at this, Journey.

Before you play, just a couple of things : you will need to watch the video on a device that supports youtube HDR, on a regular browser it will look wrong and weird because youtube has converted the regraded video back to SDR and it can look a bit odd as a result.
Second, by the nature of working with 8bit videos which have come from youtube, there is a significant amount of additional banding that has come with manipulating the image into the HDR colourspace. It is more obvious sometimes than others.

Journey is a bit of an odd choice to start with really, as it is actually very low contrast, it's misty and ethereal and rarely black, however, there are a few situations wherein SDR, the highlights are limited meaning that manually I can bump these up and give an extra bit of pop to the magic.

as a bonus, I have also re-graded the Zelda breath of the Darkness trailer into HDR. This I feel is actually moresuccessful, the game also naturally has very low contrast but very little detail is clipped or crushed, meaning there is a lot to play with and with it being a bit darker in the trailer, the intensity of HDR is more noticeable.

I'd like to know what you think about how these look, can you see a difference? What game trailers or footage could I try this with? I've been wondering just how old I could go with the games, could I do Sonic or Streets of Rage or something else? Suggestions please!

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"Remastering" standard footage to HDR is gonna be pretty much a non-starter, as you can't magically retrieve details out of anything that has no color data (pure whites are a good example).

In your zelda video above, it is especially noticeable on their faces lit by firelight.

It's a neat experiment, though.

The ember/energy/sparks from the first 30 secs in the Zelda one looked aces!

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I often play a game and wonder just how it might benefit from the newer display and color standards that HDR has brought.
I've considered various ways that I could maybe "hack" older gamers into HDR, however, I have a lot to learn before I can reach this point.

Are you aware of Kaldaien's generic injector?

I'm not 100% confident it does what you're desiring it to do, but i believe it may be doing what you're asking. Its finnicky playing around with the tool, but I got it working in Dark Souls II with visually attractive results though i'm unsure if actually accurate to real HDR.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
How about Kingdom Hearts 3? Surprising lack of HDR in that game. Still looks great though.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
"Remastering" standard footage to HDR is gonna be pretty much a non-starter, as you can't magically retrieve details out of anything that has no color data (pure whites are a good example).

In your zelda video above, it is especially noticeable on their faces lit by firelight.

It's a neat experiment, but ultimately is a curves/contrast pass and nothing more.

The ember/energy/sparks from the first 30 secs in the Zelda one looked aces, though!

Zelda rarely has any pure white data, which is why I think it worked better from the two.
the end shot of the vista actually shows this very well too, as almost all the highlight detail is in tact (except for the lake reflecting sun) .

However even in journey where we can see the evidence of the white clipping from the original tonemapping, you can still push the values of said pure white up and above the original intent, instructing the Tv to deliver more luminance, only of course if there are no other white pixels elsewhere. I think this would be the challenge with pixel art where white pixels aren't going to be uncommon

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Are you aware of Kaldaien's generic injector?

I'm not 100% confident it does what you're desiring it to do, but i believe it may be doing what you're asking. Its finnicky playing around with the tool, but I got it working in Dark Souls II with visually attractive results though i'm unsure if actually accurate to real HDR.

I've taken a look at his stuff before, but didn't get the impression it would work in the way I wanted, however that description makes it sound like it does.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
When Zeldas face is lit by the fire The look breaks down. In other areas, it looks great. Maybe just need to work on the technique a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
So what do I need to see this? I'm on Chrome on a 4k HDR monitor. Is that good enough? I guess maybe it really says something if I can't really tell if its working or not. Not about the quality of your work, but at the very least my appreciation and understanding of HDR.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When Zeldas face is lit by the fire The look breaks down. In other areas, it looks great. Maybe just need to work on the technique a bit.
yes, I hadn't focussed so much on the colour side of it as I'm actually doing this purely from the histogram on a SDR screen. The face is certainly a lot more saturated than it is in the original footage at that point and the skin colour kind goes flat out orange.
I think this is perhaps a hue shift that is occurring during the initial conversion, the fire is actually far redder than it should be at times too, which is consistent with that.
Definitely room to improve, but I got bored of rendering and uploading and editing and rendering and uploading :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So what do I need to see this? I'm on Chrome on a 4k HDR monitor. Is that good enough? I guess maybe it really says something if I can't really tell if its working or not. Not about the quality of your work, but at the very least my appreciation and understanding of HDR.

If you have HDR turned on in Windows and Chrome is giving you the "HDR" option next to the resolution settings, then it should be working Zelda video is here as a comparison
www.youtube.com

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019

The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development for Nintendo Switch! Follow Nintendo E3 coverage: http://e3.nintendo.com#Zelda #B...

Oct 27, 2017
If you have HDR turned on in Windows and Chrome is giving you the "HDR" option next to the resolution settings, then it should be working Zelda video is here as a comparison
www.youtube.com

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019

The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development for Nintendo Switch! Follow Nintendo E3 coverage: http://e3.nintendo.com#Zelda #B...
Very interesting, thank you!
I recently switched to a dual-monitor setup and was able to view these side-by-side on an SDR and HDR monitor, very nearly synchronized, and I feel I have a better understanding now of HDR.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Gave me a reason to watch some HDR content on my OP7 Pro; Zelda looks cool! Nice job I I guess? No idea if it's accurate or not but it was cool.

Feels like HDR is something Nintendo would definitely support in the future; once there's a higher adoption rate (generally just people buying more modern TV's from 2016 onwards)

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Sure this is due in part to watching in HDR in the dead of night, but both the HDR videos blue my eyes out the back of my head with the brightness.

The dark sections of Journey, where the magical glyphs start glowing all looked really cool.