• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So this guy has an amazing youtube channel in which he uploads old game's cinematics and bring them to much higher qualtiy using some sort of machine learning tehnuqie. You can find some from Warcraft, Diablo, FF, Dino Crisis, PoP and many more.

keOMgCf.png

That's pretty amazing.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Did this one myself, big spoilers for Phantom Dust

Trying to do Namco vs Capcom OP right now.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this would work on pixel art games like 3rd strike, it has superb animations but SD resolution

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is so cool.

Can you imagine if Square actually put effort in those PS1 FF releases. Thanks for modders I guess

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Can anyone do those for the ps1 final fantasy, especially 9?

Imagine that bahamut vs alexander fight in 4k

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is so cool.

Can you imagine if Square actually put effort in those PS1 FF releases. Thanks for modders I guess
Yeah thankfully modders have done great work trying to fix Square's sub par rereleases.
Like how is it modders can produce amazing results at home where billion dollar companies cannot?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
This makes the next few years of texture+FMV mods so darn exciting. Hopefully the same for official remasters or rereleases of games too

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Some of these could do with some more work or improvement but their effort is commendable

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Are there any devs here who can give insight as to why more companies arent using this for their remasters?

FF8 and FF9 modern console releases would have much better backgrounds.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's fantastic tech - modders have been using these to completely upscale pre-rendered backgrounds and textures from PS1/PS2 games with some fantastic results. The RE2 work is great.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what it can do to Saturn videos. These were horribly low bitrate because Sega didn't use mjpeg like Sony did :(

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thankfully modders have done great work trying to fix Square's sub par rereleases.
Like how is it modders can produce amazing results at home where billion dollar companies cannot?
My uneducated guess is Square is worried about who would come asking for money if they used the tech

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, so in theory, could someone upscale the entirety of an FMV game using this? I'd play Phantasmagoria 2 again in 4K…

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this done per frame, or is there some kind of neural net for super-resolution video?
EDIT: Crono's face at 2:14 tho.

jenya

Oct 27, 2017
The games look just like I remember they looked like many moons ago, I love it.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I spent a lot of time today there. I actually posted the Diablo IV in 8k upscale in the Diablo IV thread.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any devs here who can give insight as to why more companies arent using this for their remasters?

FF8 and FF9 modern console releases would have much better backgrounds.
My guess is it will still require a bit of work to make sure all scenes look right, as opposed to just slapping a filter on top of the original assets (which admittedly looks awful)

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If regular people are using this why aren't devs?

Don't think it can run in real-time - that's just a guess though.
Thinking back to Nvidia's DLSS (probably similar), it requires a lot of resources to train their models, which can then be sent to users to run in real-time across different games.

Maybe a different super-resolution model could be created per game, at least?
But that might depend on the complexity of the shading. So cel-shaded images could be easier to deal with than physically-based renders.