• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine what they said to that kid that day.

Colleges are already shitting themselves because Covid threatened the football season and they pretty much admitted that academics take a backseat to football. They're gonna try to stomp out anything that can hold things up.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I know all too well what it's like to play for a coach like this. My OC was an avid Trump supporter.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't even an apology. He said he listened to the players. He never admitted any wrong doing or apologized for being incredibly insensitive. You don't order that shirt, wait for it to arrive and then wear it out in public not knowing what message it sends. He didn't accidentally fall into his closet and that shirt ended up on him. He wore it intending to send a clear message and now he doesn't even have to acknowledge that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a Fox News that doesn't care about losing sponsors and ad money the way they do now. Thats probably the one thing keeping them from crossing that line fully.

It's basically the US version of RT.

At least some of the "reporters" work for(or used to) RT.

Fox is now a stepping stone for OAN.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gundy is a piece of shit, tbh. If he doesn't do something to dramatically change, he will lose that locker room stat.

I thought Chuba came off as the bigger man apologizing. I don't think it was done out of weakness, whatsoever.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck is a coach of any sport wearing a t-shirt that supports a "news" channel? Bizarre to begin with

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
They are also the gatekeepers to being drafted in the NFL. You get blacklisted by them, you're done.
Maybe gatekeepers for underclassmen or borderline NFL players, but players like Chuba, have proven enough that he should sit out now and declare for the next draft. He doesn't need to waste one more second of his life, with trash like Gundy.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe gatekeepers for underclassmen or borderline NFL players, but players like Chuba, have proven enough that he should sit out now and declare for the next draft. He doesn't need to waste one more second of his life, with trash like Gundy.
The NFL has definitely shown that they support players that show activism related to race.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the craziest things about this is labor and race intersecting to realize both their power. puts to rest the false dichotomy that you saw on twitter during 2017-19.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the craziest things about this is labor and race intersecting to realize both their power. puts to rest the false dichotomy that you saw on twitter during 2017-19.
It will require more players to join in though. Preferably other team leaders like he is.

But I totally agree that if enough players band together they could make real change within any college team.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if all the black players at OSU decided to protest and holdout on playing until Gundy was fired. Hell, imagine if every black player sat out if it were found out that their head coach was a Trump supporter.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how any of the players respect college coaches. Like how is Dabo Swinney one of the most successful coaches in college football? The man is a complete moron with backwards ass ideals, but he's extremely successful at recruiting the best teenage football talent in the country. College football coaches are probably the most hypocritical pieces of shit in American sports, which is a pretty tough title to obtain.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad more athletes are realizing how much power they actually have in sports. They can bring these teams and leagues to their knees if they work together for good causes.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Gundy's basically won all the internal battles at OSU for a decade at this point. Former megabooster Pickens died. AD Holder is seemingly powerless. It translates to the working environment in the athletic department. He does not care about athletic department employees. I can't speak for players but a lot of them spoke for themselves on this issue. Gundy's embarrassed the school for years but he's seemingly untouchable.

That would be my guess.

I don't want to say anything about Chuba because I can't imagine the pressure he was under today. He's not a kid but he's young and I don't know who was in his ear all day and what was said to him. I wish he hadn't done the video, too.
He's a young man and likely easily influenced. The coaches/administration probably said "you had a point but why did you go to social media with it and not us directly?" as a way to make it seem like they both could "grow" from this. A lot of college spur of the moment activism is stymied that way.

With that said if ever their was a institution that is wolf is sheep clothing in regards to racism it's football. The good old boy system exist in a lot of industries but no where as blatant And openly celebrated as football.

Yeah I could've been clearer that my disgust wasn't aimed at Chuba, just the institutional pressure that was doubtless pushed out to redirect this message. That video has the college written all over it, and I'm not impressed. I might've missed it but in recent years I've seen a lot of unjustifiable bs from OU, based out of our more liberal Norman, than I have from OSU, based out of the more conservative . Again maybe I've just seen the wrong headlines though. But it made me feel like OSU had better values than OU, but the messaging here sucked. And obviously the coach can get fucked.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty offensive that Gundy said he realized how sensitive of an issue it was today after meeting with his players. I mean if OAN reports the news right down the middle as he purports, you'd think Gundy would have been aware of the largest racial protests in 50 years going on in the country.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
19-20 year olds shouldn't be the ones having to call out the coach for being a fucking racist piece of shit. That's the problem in and of itself. The university and the NCAA should be looking out for them but they don't give a fuck.

Yup. Asking these kids to risk their (and their families) future livelihoods in order to take this kind of a stand without top down support is unreasonable.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
All these football coaches are Trump supporters except maybe Saban.

IIRC Saban is a Blue Dog Democrat- donations of his a long time ago were dug up at one point.

My dream is that he endorses Doug Jones in the Senate race this fall but that will never happen. Jones would win hands down.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Saban is a Blue Dog Democrat- donations of his a long time ago were dug up at one point.

My dream is that he endorses Doug Jones in the Senate race this fall but that will never happen. Jones would win hands down.
If Tuberville (ex-Auburn head football coach) wins the GOP runoff race against Sessions, Saban might actually speak up in favor of Jones!

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the craziest things about this is labor and race intersecting to realize both their power. puts to rest the false dichotomy that you saw on twitter during 2017-19
It will require more players to join in though. Preferably other team leaders like he is.

But I totally agree that if enough players band together they could make real change within any college team.
def!

just seeing a lot of labor, especially black labor, using that as leverage to demand more than fig leaf changes

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
Elections suggest that a bit under half of all Americans identify as Republicans, or at least voted for Trump. So I guess you're bound to run in to a few wackjobs.

... Thing is, these days, you can't just shake your head in chagrin at these assholes. You really must get pissed as hell. Society shouldn't be divided between people who support minorities and people who think they should be shot, run over, deported, imprisoned. It should be conservatives vs progressives, low taxes vs high, exploitative healthcare vs free, evil vs good, whatever, and maniacs in the nut houses. Armchair racists really should be dragged out of their armchairs and knelt on by a cop for 8 minutes, or pulled over and threatened with firearms because they're wearing a similarly coloured shirt to a suspect, to see how it feels~

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
White man causes a problem, the black man apologizes for pointing out the problem. Fuck college sports.

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nick Saban doesn't often speak out about political affiliations. He is a known supporter of Joe Manchin in West Virginia, and has definitely donated to Democratic candidates in the past. However, as I understand it, he also hates Tommy Tuberville as a human being. His desire to not speak out politically will be tested with this election. I think he'll avoid making endorsements of any candidate and defer to letting the citizenry decide for themselves. But you're right - if Nick Saban endorsed anyone short of Roy Moore, I think the race would be over in Alabama that day.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Nick Saban doesn't often speak out about political affiliations. He is a known supporter of Joe Manchin in West Virginia, and has definitely donated to Democratic candidates in the past. However, as I understand it, he also hates Tommy Tuberville as a human being. His desire to not speak out politically will be tested with this election. I think he'll avoid making endorsements of any candidate and defer to letting the citizenry decide for themselves. But you're right - if Nick Saban endorsed anyone short of Roy Moore, I think the race would be over in Alabama that day.
He's friends of Joe Manchin, I think they might have grown up together, both being from West Virginia.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I just heard about this. The video he uploaded with Gundy was definitely put together by the school. If I was him I would apply for the supplemental draft or transfer