• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
been thinking about getting to this show properly sometime. I read up to the end of the tournament arc as a teenager, since that was all the library had, and remember playing a game and watched some of the anime yeaaaaaaaaaaars back. How is the dub? lowkey thinking of just having it next to me while doing other stuff, so not having to read subtitles would be nice.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke thread? I can't really tell. When I read that OP all I could think of was the Madara meme:

Is there a character that could even possibly EVEN TOUCH Madara Uchiha? Let alone defeat him. And I'm not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I'm not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I'm not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano'o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu.

Also wait until you actually finish the show first. The Pain finale is probably the peak of the Shippuden arc (not even the peak of the entire show, that happens much earlier), it's all downhill from here until like the very final fight.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I didn't follow the anime much, just select hype moments from manga. But I genuinely enjoy Naruto manga and it's better on reread when you didn't have to wait a week for the next chapter.

I imagine binging the anime have similar effect.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I've seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, was incredible. One Punch Man was also great.

Don't really appreciate the stereotype that enjoying Naruto means I'm a 13 year old little child...

Don't think they're insinuating that simply because you enjoy Naruto, most people in this thread have enjoyed the series at some point.

It's more so that you think it's the greatest show ever, including live action tv shows. Even the biggest fans wouldn't go that far.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I've seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, was incredible. One Punch Man was also great.

Don't really appreciate the stereotype that enjoying Naruto means I'm a 13 year old little child...
If you feel comfortable to do so, do you mind if I asked your age range? Teens? 20's? 30s?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I personally loved early Naruto, but found most of the post time skip stuff to be shit, with a few exceptions. But hey, if you're enjoying it, more power to you

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't think it's necessarily an age thing and more about exposure. I thought for the longest time that Iria: Zarim the Animation was pretty awesome but it was like one of a handful of anime I had seen at the time. Now I'm afraid to even watch it again as it's been decades since I last saw it and the amount of anime, both good and bad, I've seen would probably change my opinion of it.

Edit: maybe something like Ninja Scroll would be a better fit. I'm also worried about how Project A-ko holds up.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Even though Naruto fell apart after the Pain Arc it will always make me feel nostalgic. The same applies to Bleach, too.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's good.

Just remember that on the internet you're not allowed to enjoy things too enthusiastically.

I mean you'll always get pushback for declaring something to be the greatest show of all time, there's just no avoiding it sounding ridiculously hyperbolic to everyone else.

The trick is, if you really feel that way about something, just say its your most favorite thing ever or something along those lines instead lol

Nov 17, 2017
Why do people here always have to be so negative about Naruto?

I agree OP, the Pain fight is so good. Not only that but everything leading up to it. Jiraiya's death, Naruto's Training, trying to decode Jiraiya's message, Pain attacking the village and turning it into a damn crater. So good.

Oct 25, 2017
You're at the best arc in the whole series. And yes, up to and including that arc, the series was absolutely incredible. the
Ninja War Arc that the series ends with
is a slog though.
It also invalidates a lot of the themes Naruto is about

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel comfortable to do so, do you mind if I asked your age range? Teens? 20's? 30s?
I enjoyed Naruto, and found it okay. But I definitely disagree with this statement. i gotta ask what else is on your list OP?
If you're talking about broad entertainment I have to include in my all time list:
Hannibal
True Detective S1
BB
Sopranos
AoT
Tengen Toppa GL
Neon Genesis
FMAB
I could literally list dozens more. So much has had emotional impact on me.

Isn't this basically saying "it's the best thing if we ignore the huge amount of bad things."
Sure. Thats an absolutely valid point.

Another way to think of it is that I thoroughly enjoyed the true source material while choosing to ignore non "cannon" show material.

I guess that is a "dock" against the show, but still. The "cannon" material is so impactful to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Naruto was my life back in 2005-2008. Had the games, dvds, posters, wall scrolls, manga.

Then shippuden happened and well....... pain was cool.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Naruto is good up to the end of the Pain arc. Certainly not top tier, though. The amount of poorly written retconning Kishimoto does drags the series down hard. Like making Jiraiya Naruto's godfather and being the one that named Naruto when he clearly had no idea who Naruto was in Part 1. The jinchuriki thing he pulled out of his ass in Part 2 and the way the third hokage and village treated Naruto make no sense.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching the Naruto vs Sasuke fight and being blown away by the animation. Still to this day one of the best fight scenes in anime. For me, like many others have mentioned, the show peaked during the pain arc. I was so disappointed in the last arc, it soured my taste on the series on a whole.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the fleeting sense of superiority is worth calling the OP a child for enjoying something... Christ with you people sometimes.

Anyway, I think the people saying it's all downhill after the Pain arc are mostly right, but I also think they're forgetting a few truly amazing moments near the end of the show. I think it's definitely worth sticking out until the end if you're enjoying it that much.

I'm glad you found something you really enjoy!

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the fleeting sense of superiority is worth calling the OP a child for enjoying something... Christ with you people sometimes.

Anyway, I think the people saying it's all downhill after the Pain arc are mostly right, but I also think they're forgetting a few truly amazing moments near the end of the show. I think it's definitely worth sticking out until the end if you're enjoying it that much.

I'm glad you found something you really enjoy!
Thanks friend.

I feel a little discouraged. My wife (who has seen the show from start to finish entirely) and my friend (who has seen all of it the same) keep telling me it gets better and better.

I hope it's true because god damn from the Sasuke vs Itachi onward has been unreal so far.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster is an anime I'd be comfortable with comparing to the better live action shows.

Naruto is very good until the Pain arc ends. You have to prepare for a dip in quality, unfortunately.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I'll always disagree with the idea that it goes downhill after Pain. The post Pain arcs are some of the best in Naruto, I think. Although I suppose there is only really two distinct arcs as after the Danzo stuff it's all related to the war. The Danzo/kage summit arc was great and while the war arc was really long, it has some really excellent fights and moments throughout.

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's nice to see something positive about Naruto for once. I know I loved it a ton growing up and, even now, it's the Anime I'm most nostalgic about. Basically my generation's DBZ

That being said, man, there's plenty I can recommend to you, like My Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Erased, Konosuba, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, One Piece, Haikyuu, and Diamond No Ace. Maybe a bit basic but enjoyable stuff all the same

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
This forum man... It must be cool to shit on a popular piece of media. Naruto is one of, if not the main reason for the rise in popularity of anime in recent years. I remember in the early days binging 30/40 episodes over a week (obviously when I had no adult commitments) and thinking it was one of the best things I'd seen, it ticked all the boxes for me.

OP, don't listen to these jaded edgelords telling you your opinion is wrong. If you enjoy something you don't need confirmation of that. It's just a shame people with negative opinions can't keep their mouths shut, when they are adding nothing to your positive thread.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point you're better off with just playing the Ninja Storm games since they don't have any of the excessive filler and the games look better than the show anyway.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Naruto: it's alright.

If it's your favorite that's fine but it has way to many lows with not enough highs to be a truly great. I wouldn't even put it into my top 10 anime let alone my top 10 pieces of fiction.

My favorite part of naruto is the video games, weirdly enough for mass media licenced video games naruto has more good games then bad which is a impressive feat.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto is pretty decent but also fairly divisive to people. Nothing bad about enjoying it OP!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Pain arc really should've been the end of the manga. The cycle of hatred was a big thing thematically and Naruto straight up breaks it the moment he refuses to avenge Jiraiya's death. Naruto, who had abandoned revenge, and Sasuke, who was consumed by it, clashing soon after would've been perfectly fine to close off the manga.

Plus that little tease of Naruto accessing Kyuubi's chakra and nature energy at the same time was so badass.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Shippuden filler episodes were way better than the OG series filler that's for sure. I remember liking the three tailed arc

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
This forum man... It must be cool to shit on a popular piece of media. Naruto is one of, if not the main reason for the rise in popularity of anime in recent years. I remember in the early days binging 30/40 episodes over a week (obviously when I had no adult commitments) and thinking it was one of the best things I'd seen, it ticked all the boxes for me.

OP, don't listen to these jaded edgelords telling you your opinion is wrong. If you enjoy something you don't need confirmation of that. It's just a shame people with negative opinions can't keep their mouths shut, when they are adding nothing to your positive thread.
Thank you for the laugh, fellow edgelord.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Thanks friend.

I feel a little discouraged. My wife (who has seen the show from start to finish entirely) and my friend (who has seen all of it the same) keep telling me it gets better and better.

I hope it's true because god damn from the Sasuke vs Itachi onward has been unreal so far.
Glad you are enjoying it OP! I also watched all of Naruto recently and ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

I got into Naruto back in like 2005 through fansubs until it hit filler town and I dropped off of it. Cut to like October of last year. I heard that the show had finished finally and for whatever reason I decided, "Eh, fuck it. I have a Crunchyroll subscription and free time. Let's watch this shit and see how it ends."

Boy, I was not expecting to be as good or genuinely entertaining as it actually ended up being. I watched it like you did, skipping filler arcs (except a few really good backstory ones later on), and yeah the part you are at now is fucking hype as shit! I've watched a lot of anime, especially shounen, so I can say that that whole part is seriously one of the best arcs in the show if not in shounen anime period!

As for the rest of the show, there are still some really great moments, fights, and twists to come. There is a part later on that is admittedly a slog to get through (the war arc), but the ending arc after that is fun. Despite how many people online I've seen claim how the show is bad, I honestly had a great time with it and don't get the hate. You are old enough at this point in your life to enjoy what you want, so don't let people being negative in this thread get you down. Finish the show and form your own opinion, you'll probably end up liking it overall.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
This is not gonna end well. Hype for part 2 of this thread.

Loved Naruto at the beginning by the way. It looked like the new DB here in Italy back in the mid 2000.