• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I think about it, this is on the level of Leona Lewis 'My Hands' in Final Fantasy XIII bad. Singing about putting on you makeup when we're turning to crystal to save a world is never gonna be not stupid.

Also, I have no problems admitting I think rap/hip-hop is pure, hot garbage. I do own one Saul Williams album though, so there's that. A song by Bodycount would probably have ben a better fit for this.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I actually appreciated how they stuck to Rap/Hip Hop for the trailer like MKX it was hilarious and cool, i dug it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the main problem, though. He's talking about and posturing about his life. What does that have to do with Raiden and Scorpion or the events in the MK world? "I was strapped when I slid inside your boo thang." Um... Yeah. Listen to the lyrics. It doesn't work. There are multiple angles we can attack it from. And few of them have it being a thematic fit for what we're seeing. This has nothing to do with whether it's a good song in and of itself or not liking this particular style of hip-hop. Like, I said in an earlier post, the music/beat itself could be serviceable.

You know why Knocc 'Em Down works better for TTT2? Because it's talking about beating people in the context of playing the video game. Same with Infinite and the songs for 3rd Strike. President of the World in SFV and I'm Back to Rise in KI work because they're mostly in-universe takes on the character they're representing. The other "Immortal" from MK:DA works better because the theme is lost souls and demons and fits the MK setting generally. Something else could've worked better. Hell, something else from 21 Savage could've worked better. But, what we got clearly is not a homerun even if there are some who think it's fine or don't care.
Run that 90 with the drum attached (Drum)
You a shit talker, we got guns for that (On God)
Tryna fist fight, boy, you dumb for that (Stupid)
You gon' get a bullet in yo' lung for that (Stupid)
Draco get to kickin' like Liu Kang (21)
F&N on me in the Musain (Straight up, straight up)
Glock 19 and a blue flame (Straight up)
I was strapped when I slid inside your boo thang (On God)
21 immortal, we will never die (21)
Loyal to my brothers (Yeah), I will never lie (Straight up)
Call me bird dog 'cause I cheat and I'm fly (Straight up)
And I love winnin', I'm upset if it's a tie
If you ever try to go against the gang (21)
We gon' drop...

[Verse]
Beat you off the ground just to knock you to the floor (Yeah)
Let's go blow for blow (Yeah), let's go toe to toe (Straight up)
When it's time to battle, they'll never ever show (21)
When it's time to battle, I'm the first one at the door, at the door
Here we go
What's underlined are the only parts of the songs that you can't really connect to MK, fighting, hurting your enemies, team loyalty and such. A track doesn't have to say "Scorpion hitting Raiden with a spear" in order for it to work, all it does is it has to reflect the perception of what the trailer's going for as a whole and in this case they were there to show off what MK's known for which is it's brutal fighting. If most people hear that track and read the lyrics most of those are easy to see that they relate to killing, proving you're better than your opponent, proving that you want to win the battle and such lyrically the track works Those 2 lines there are not enough to say it "doesn't fit" compared to the overall lyrics of the track.

2 lines not fitting isn't enough to say the song "doesn't fit" given everything else doe sfit. I mean you even brought up Knocc Em Down for TTT2 and yet it had lines such as "and Doggie does it again / Stepping yall, repping Dogg" "Riding Dogg, almost cut your braids off", "-first round draft pick" and let alone the entire outro which doesn't relate.

That's what I'm not understanding when people bring up his lyrics here because most of the lyrics refer to the things that actually happens in MK. That's fine.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some you folks do realize it IS possible to not like the song in the trailer but also like rap.

Pretty embarrassing to see not so hidden racist undertones in some of the earlier replies in this thread, especially implied because there are white folks in this thread they can't grasp the nuances of rap? Last time I remember my skin tone had absolutely fuck all had to do with how my hearing and ears work. I don't think this is acceptable on ResetEra.

There are plenty of Hip Hop artists and Rappers I enjoy. One does not need to like every aspect of a specific music genre to be qualified to have an opinion on it. If I don't like like how something sounds. I don't how something sounds. It's that simple. Don't read more into it than that, drop your assumptions before hitting that post reply button.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
okay, so I have no idea why I went through the frankly obnoxious effort of redoing the music for this trailer, but whatever it's done now.

so here it is with more energetic music. not perfect, but I was working with extremely limited assets.

now I have a template at least! Suggest songs to use on the trailer and I might try it out.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
okay, so I have no idea why I went through the frankly obnoxious effort of redoing the music for this trailer, but whatever it's done now.

so here it is with more energetic music. not perfect, but I was working with extremely limited assets.

now I have a template at least! Suggest songs to use on the trailer and I might try it out.

I like it. Excellent work.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ

That's much better.

This should be put in the OP to make the point that race and a dislike of hip-hop have nothing to do with most of the criticism in this thread.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a hip-hop fan at all, so I don't really know how much my opinion counts. That said, I thought the song choice was sick. The lyrics are about fucking people up and he name dropped Liu Kang, it seemed pretty perfect to me. I've watched the trailer about a dozen times now, part of that is because of the song and how they used it.

I thought it was really well done. /Shrug

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I see you are a man/woman of culture as well!
Vengeance is probably my song of the year

Aug 26, 2018
日本
2 lines not fitting isn't enough to say the song "doesn't fit" given everything else doe sfit.
It's more than those two lines. The instant he brought up guns, which he does repeatedly, you already lost the two main people in the trailer. "Call me bird dog cause I cheat and I'm fly" is dodgy as well. And who is "the gang"? It's literally 2 people on the screen. If this was a general smash cut of story cutscenes, showing the Special Forces against Outworld or something, or a collection of the entire cast, it would be a slightly different story. It'd be easier to not take it that literally.

Snoop Dogg being self-referential in his song works because he's actually talking about his playing the game, literally playing Tekken. 21 on the other hand is being self-referential in general and it comes off as being about on the streets or in a gang. If they wanted to go for "I will kill you in MK", they didn't quite make it. And if they wanted to go for describing the situation and setting in general, it's not quite right either. People seem to be giving it a pass because it has a "good beat", 21 himself is violent, and he threw in "Liu Kang" randomly. I have a higher bar than that.

Remember when Nicki Minaj had that Chun-li song that seemingly had nothing to do with Chun-li? lol

Last edited:

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
I don't know what kind of genre the music was but all I know is it was terrible and didn't fit the trailer at all. I will be happy to never have to hear that type of music again, awful.

Was a cool trailer apart from that, watched it a few times on mute.

I think Ed needs to visit Konami and take some lessons in trailer music from Kojima-san. Asylums for the Feelings managed to be the most viral song in Spotify thanks to Kojima-san. On a serious note though, I was half asleep throughout TGA but was ecstatic to see the MK11 reveal. The music was ear bleed and to say out of place is a massive understatement.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
A forum full of middle-aged white dudes get whiny as hell that rap gets used in a MK trailer. I'm sure there's some part of this that's meant to surprise me.
This is exactly it. Old, out-of-touch contrarians whose opinions only matter on this forum because they're shared by other old, out-of-touch contrarians, mostly white too. It's pretty sad.

Last edited:

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
When I read "yeah that fits" and "rap and fighting go together" all tells me is that any song could've been playing in the bg. The track is flames and yeah the trailer is ok but them together? Nah upsetting to the senses. I feel like the tempo, flow and all that just don't match up with the imagery. If you thought all that hits, good on ya I'm not here to judge.

Also the "lol it's white dudes complaining about rap" sentiment can fuck off. I didn't see near the amount of noise with the MK10 trailer. Least I thought it was way better than this one.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You went from the high quality, atmospheric sound design, to some lower quality nasally rap and a beat with no bass. It was awk and didn't aesthetically match the hard-hitting punches, but this is a thing clearly left up to opinion. But I wasn't upset about it or anything. I think a different mix of the same song would have been pretty good.

Edit:

Yeah, this is closer.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's more than those two lines. The instant he brought up guns, which he does repeatedly, you already lost the two main people in the trailer. "Call me bird dog cause I cheat and I'm fly" is dodgy as well. And who is "the gang"? It's literally 2 people on the screen. If this was a general smash cut of story cutscenes, showing the Special Forces against Outworld or something, or a collection of the entire cast, it would be a slightly different story.

Snoop Dogg being self-referential in his song works because he's actually talking about his playing the game, literally playing Tekken. 21 on the other hand is being self-referential in general and it comes off as being about on the streets or in a gang. If they wanted to go for "I will kill you in MK", they didn't quite make it. And if they wanted to go for describing the situation and setting in general, it's not quite right either.
Nah man you're off base here on a few points. You're basically saying that if a track in a trailer isn't mentioning whatever is on screen at the time of the trailer (regardless if it's mentioning the series it's associated with or future situation that happen/can happen) then it doesn't work for the trailer. An example is you're saying that if a Persona 5 trailer doesn't show them stealing hearts then it's off base. That's just not how things goes. Not every trailer song that relates to a trailer talks solely about the things going on at the trailers at that time. A great amount of them talk about things that relate as a whole or at least gives the theme that they're referring to. Mario Odyssey for example had a few lines about things not shown at the time of the trailer when most of it was referring to what's seen in the trailer so going by your logic that trailer was off. It doesn't work like that. I'm not sure where you got the idea that music has to only reference what the listeners see at that time of the trailer but that's definitely not true. You're eliminating a huge amount of not only trailers but a large amount of music videos as well.

To the 21 lines, 21 mentioning guns (something MK characters actually have) actually fits with the MK series. It doesn't matter if Raiden or Sub-Zero have guns because the series has guns. The "call me a bird dog cause I cheat and I'm fly" line is a reference towards him doing what it takes to win the match which is connected to the next line where he says he loves winning and he's upset if it's a tie. It's a metaphor thrown in for the point he's making in the next line along with being a line about how he's great in the game. The "gang" goes back to what I said when it relates to friends. When people say "gang" and "gang gang" they're referring to their friends and/or crew. A lot of this are standard hip-hop lines.

It goes back to what I said in a previous post about this trailer being for a specific crowd hence why it was picked. A lot of this stuff most people on gaming forums just won't pick up on because it's not designed for them compared to the demographic they're aiming for. To you some of it doesn't make sense and it doesn't get you hype but to others who it's designed for that gets them as hype as anything can be.

And lastly nah, the Snoop lines don't work because we can use the same logic on 21 and say "wow 21 is talking about playing MK and hanging with his friends" and it works. You're not giving 21 the same leniency as you're giving Snoop in this case especially when it comes to certain hip-hop terms which has other meanings. 21 made this track for the game, he didn't just pick a track out and they decided to use it, the guy crafted it for this game solely.

Idk man, you thinking that the words in a song has to reflect anything and everything seen during the trailer then and there rather than what it's talking about doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
I found it atrocious, I normally don't pay too much attention to music but this was way off. A total moodkiller for such a game

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a hip-hop fan at all, so I don't really know how much my opinion counts. That said, I thought the song choice was sick. The lyrics are about fucking people up and he name dropped Liu Kang, it seemed pretty perfect to me. I've watched the trailer about a dozen times now, part of that is because of the song and how they used it.

I thought it was really well done. /Shrug
Your opinion is still wrong to those of us who thought it matched it just fine. Whether you like this kind of music will absolutely play into how well it matches up for people.
I don't see what the problem is. 21 killed the track. And he made a MK reference. Wiz did the same for MKX.
These posts honestly sum up what my whole encompassing point is. Everybody has an opinion. If you liked it and thought it was dope then that's your opinion. If you didn't like it then that's your opinion.

The problem is when people try to say stuff like "well if he did this better-", "well if this changed-", "MK isn't like thi-", "it was off pace an-" and all this stuff as if there's some type of real legit scientific reason that they don't like it when the reality is you've got your own likes, dislikes and idea of MK and that forms your opinion so that'll offset what others think given they have their own. If people just said "hey that's my opinion, you can have yours" then nobody would have an issue. People just post as though they know what needs to be done to the trailer when the reality is Boon and NRS said "nah this is MK and this is what we're gonna do" and that'll be up to them. There's no true answer, it's an opinion.

But it's music so people will always do the "nah your music sucks, mine is better" thing people have been doing since elementary.

At the end of the day an opinion is an opinion. Making up a reason as to why you don't like something doesn't need to happen. Just say "nah I just don't like it but if you do then props to you. It's all the same."

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Good job. This is what I was thinking about; it's much better to me than the actual trailer.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Hype for the whole MK community and they didn't even use the theme song was kinda meh.

I know this generation hates theme songs, but I say long live theme songs.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Music was straight garbage. If it's in the game I'll hafta play on mute.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
You're basically saying that if a track in a trailer isn't mentioning whatever is on screen at the time of the trailer (regardless if it's mentioning the series it's associated with or future situation that happen/can happen) then it doesn't work for the trailer.
It would certainly be less jarring if it did. I may even be discounting a number of trailer themes, but how would it not be better if what was being said fit with what was going on visually? That's exactly why in the case where songs that get repurposed for trailers may only have specific lyrics or verses used, while they mute the rest and have the instrumental playing, etc.

Take "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. Clear "no duh" moment when they used it for the Marvel Iron Man movie. But, there's a reason why you never hear anything besides "I am Iron Man" lyrics-wise in relation to anything used in the trailers and movie. Because the actual story the song tells has nothing to do with the movie situation besides the coincidental title. Same thing with why very few spoken lines of "X Gon' Give It to Ya" are actually used for Deadpool.

And many people may not care about that level of chess. Fine. But it exists. And it's usually the level where people who are paid to do these types of things operate. If we're just at the level of 21 Savage = Popular = Hype, then...okay. But, that's called phoning it in.

To the 21 lines, 21 mentioning guns (something MK characters actually have) actually fits with the MK series. It doesn't matter if Raiden or Sub-Zero have guns because the series has guns.
Then save the song for when that's readily apparent. You can't assume that everyone already knows about MK. Indeed, some people may be seeing all this stuff and these characters for the first time. (Hard to believe, sure. But, that's the assumption that marketing materials get made under.) As I said, it might be a different story if it weren't this particular trailer.

And lastly nah, the Snoop lines don't work because we can use the same logic on 21 and say "wow 21 is talking about playing MK and hanging with his friends" and it works. You're not giving 21 the same leniency as you're giving Snoop in this case especially when it comes to certain hip-hop terms which has other meanings. 21 made this track for the game, he didn't just pick a track out and they decided to use it, the guy crafted it for this game solely.
I am not giving them the same leniency because Snoop is very literal in his playing the game. The video for the song is him and a group of people playing Tekken. And in the lyrics, he talks about passing the controller, pressing buttons, put down the stick, god fist combo, etc.

We have to assume that maybe 21 is playing MK with his friends. It's certainly not as clear. I personally doubt it. Maybe there's more in the rest of the song, but not really in what we got. And dare I say, if he crafted the song for this game specifically, dude might have missed the mark. I'll wait for the full song. But, even if the song works as a whole, that still doesn't mean that it worked for the reveal trailer.

I do want to thank you for actually engaging and not just saying "lol white people" though. lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you now understand where our preconceived notions about gaming side & rap come from, OP.

Just a bunch of out-of-touch dudes shittalking something they don't care enough to understand.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
why are people getting heated over something so inconsequential like song choice in a trailer when the game is getting revealed next month

petty as fuck

this song is 🔥 btw y'all trippin

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
nah this ain't it

the song fits the pace of the trailer perfectly and it's honestly the most on-brand mortal kombat ass shit ever.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
(I have only played MK2/3)
I think it matched well with rhymes paced to the fighting. I imagine they thought it's kind of dull with the number 11 in a series and then you need to spice it up with something new and unexpected which is Trap sounding lazy on purpose. Also there was MK-hiphop made before so I guess MK is either popular among hiphop-fans or just matches well with that image. I can imagine Ed Boon being more found of hiphop than heavy metal.

There's probably lot's of MK-fans craving deathmetalhardcore but have they ever used such music?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It would certainly be less jarring if it did. I may even be discounting a number of trailer themes, but how would it not be better if what was being said fit with what was going on visually? That's exactly why in the case where songs that get repurposed for trailers may only have specific lyrics or verses used, while they mute the rest and have the instrumental playing, etc.

Take "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. Clear "no duh" moment when they used it for the Marvel Iron Man movie. But, there's a reason why you never hear anything besides "I am Iron Man" lyrics-wise in relation to anything used in the trailers and movie. Because the actual story the song tells has nothing to do with the movie situation besides the coincidental title. Same thing with why very few actual spoken lines of "X Gon' Give It to Ya" are actually used for Deadpool.

And many people may not care about that level of chess. Fine. But it exists. And it's usually the level where people who are paid to do these types of things operate. If we're just at the level of 21 Savage = Popular = Hype, then...okay. But, that's called phoning it in.

Then save the song for when that's readily apparent. You can't assume that everyone already knows about MK. Indeed, some people may be seeing all this stuff and these characters for the first time. (Hard to believe, sure. But, that's the assumption that marketing materials get made under.) As I said, it might be a different story if it weren't this particular trailer.

I am not giving them the same leniency because Snoop is very literal in his playing the game. The video for the song is him and a group of people playing Tekken. And in the lyrics, he talks about passing the controller, pressing buttons, put down the stick, god fist combo, etc.

We have to assume that maybe 21 is playing MK with his friends. It's certainly not as clear. I personally doubt it. Maybe there's more in the rest of the song, but not really in what we got. And dare I say, if he crafted the song for this game specifically, dude might have missed the mark. I'll wait for the full song.

I do want to thank you for actually engaging and not just saying "lol white people" though. lol

I look at it similar to what I said in another thread. I see it as something similar to a bar fight where 2 men are fighting and the jukebox is playing behind them. If not that then the "invincible sword goddess" scene in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon where the music's just a background to the action in front of them. To others they were focused on the music but to me (someone who's used to it) that took backstage to the fight so what he said didn't matter much compared to the full fight in front of me. That's how it is for most trailers when I see them. In other cases when it's an instrumental it's easier for people but to me given the type of flow and delivery he used matched the pace of the hits most cases (or the drums) I was focused on the fight for the most part. In 21's case lyrically most of the stuff can connect to the fight so that's why they likely kept it in. There were parts of the track that they just let the instrumental play out rather than editing out so it was probably for good reason. I think they chose 21 because he's popular, they're looking at a certain popular demographic and they figured he'd fit with it. I also saw the Snoop video but he did use some lines that just didn't work with it and compared to 21 I can see it that way or at least it's done in a similar way was Wiz. Wiz's track was similar theme-wise except 21's was darker and his flow was catchier than Wiz's. Different styles to the method they chose.

Either way it's all good man, great debate. We've all got an opinion so it's all good lol.

And yeah I'm not down with that "lol white people" thing. I'm more of a "well sometimes people don't know about today's hip-hop culture" type of thing and that extends to all races. I can't tell you the hip-hop debates I've had with my white friends during Saturday nights lmao. Hip-hop's just evolved from how it used to be.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Actually the music was spot on ! What's wrong with you OP ? You didn't know about Hip Hop and Fighting games or Martial Arts ?

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Lyrically the song fits.

The delivery is where it fails the trailer.

It's jarring as fuck to watch a dude get half the bones in his body broken then electrocuted until his head exploded with a track delivered like an insomniac who just popped six Ambien running in the background.

The Wiz Khalifa track in MKX had fire and passion. This while lyrically strong fell completely flat in the delivery.

And the dude claiming that 21 being from Atlanta is why his delivery is sleepy as hell needs to explain how Ludacris, Killer Mike, Bonecrusher, CeeLo Green, etc can all sound like they can deliver an aggressive track while being from Atlanta.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My initial reaction was identical to yours Lashley, I thought it didn't jive with the action at all, but upon further watches I feel the music does fit, at least lyrically at least, the tempo is poor though it's like it's being delivered by someone who's suffered one too many brutalities

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It uses same marketing tactics from MK10. Which had Chop Suey from System of A Dawn at launch trailer which was perfect fit for launch trailer

I expect similar song for launch trailer. Gameplay trailers are different matter though

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's a poor use of music, has nothing to do with the genre or even the track itself. Just a bad match/implementation.

It uses same marketing tactics from MK10. Which had Chop Suey from System of A Dawn at launch trailer which was perfect fit for launch trailer

I expect similar song for launch trailer. Gameplay trailers are different matter though

At least the whole trailer is cut to match with the song in this example. They barely did any of that in MK11 reveal. The way the music kicks off is like a loud ad just started playing on another tap, shit was out of nowhere.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It's a poor use of music, has nothing to do with the genre or even the track itself. Just a bad match/implementation.

At least the whole trailer is cut to match with the song in this example. They barely did any of that in MK11 reveal. The way the music kicks off is like a loud ad just started playing on another tap, shit was out of nowhere.

Well duh uh , SoAD is Mortal Kombat fans and they edited trailer together to fit it.

Aug 26, 2018
日本

I was pretty with this until the dude went high-pitched after the second Scorpion showed up. Then it was immediately wtf. lol

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
New gen rap. 4K 60 FPS bars.
23b.png

You feel it too, don't you?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Here's my suggestion

Mr.Lif - Jugular Vein

https://youtu.be/DCEpO8JbnYI

If you start this song and the trailer togethet at the right moment (music starting right at the beginning of the trailer, earlier than the trailer's OG music starts) it works so that the line in the first verse that goes

"first name (huh)
last name (whew)"

is synced perfectly with Raiden pulling his pike out of the ground and stabbing it through Scorpion's chest

Basically cut the song at 1:18 so it's just the intro and first verse (without the bong noises that play after 1:18) and then take the clean beat and fadeout that starts immediately after the second verse (2:36) and attach it to the end of the first verse. Put the end result over the trailer and it works imo

You could try to work in parts of the second verse, but the second verse is mostly Lif taking a break from killing irl so he can kill dudes at Tekken, lmao

Last edited:

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
I was dying laughing when I realized that 21 savage music was coming from the trailer. When I first heard it, I thought it was spotify accidentally playing it. I like 21 Savage, but oh my god did that not fit well at all.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah nothing against hip hop or the track in general, but I thought it was mismatched. Sucked the energy out of that fight being shown.