• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've grown up loving hip hop and I don't get the comparisons to MK10's song with Wiz Khalifa, I loved Who's Next. You felt the emotion in his voice and it was hype as the beat sped up simultaneously with the climax of the fight as they traded blows back and forth. I also loved how some of more heavy blows literally synced up and overpowered the beat in that trailer.

I didn't feel the same kind of passion in this song. I like 21 Savage but I think he was misused here.

Monotone isn't a fair word to use but 21 just didn't feel excited or hyped, there was no real energy behind it for me and I feel like that's what you want in a soundtrack for a fight.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've grown up loving hip hop and I don't get the comparisons to MK10's song with Wiz Khalifa, I loved Who's Next. You felt the emotion in his voice and it was hype as the beat sped up simultaneously with the climax of the fight as they traded blows back and forth. I also loved how some of more heavy blows literally synced up and overpowered the beat in that trailer.

I didn't feel the same kind of passion in this song. I like 21 Savage but I think he was misused here.

Monotone isn't a fair word to use but 21 just didn't feel excited or hyped, there was no real energy behind it for me and I feel like that's what you want in a soundtrack for a fight.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of the MKX trailer either but even that has more energy at least vocally than this. Track barely had a pulse here.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I saw the MK11 trailer a day later and I legit thought someone was trolling and trying to promote their song. I went through 2 other trailer YouTubes thinking someone shitty dubbed over it until I went to WB Games' official YT page and saw it there. Oof.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
I don't know, fam. The jury still out.

Well, just so you know, I like hip-hop a lot. Especially the NWA, Ice Cube, Dre & Snoop era and I'm white British bloke who hasn't experienced much of what they rap about. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy the feel of it. The same way I can enjoy drama without having firsthand experience of its content. But it's unfair to make hip-hop and black culture synonymous. It limits what a black person can be if their peers expect them to fit into certain categories.

Also, didn't a lot of older black musicians dislike rap when it first came about? I'm sure I heard people like Quincy Jones say some bad things about it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Well, just so you know, I like hip-hop a lot. Especially the NWA, Ice Cube, Dre & Snoop era and I'm white British bloke who hasn't experienced much of what they rap about. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy the feel of it. The same way I can enjoy drama without having firsthand experience of its content. But it's unfair to make hip-hop and black culture synonymous. It limits what a black person can be if their peers expect them to fit into certain categories.

Also, didn't a lot of older black musicians dislike rap when it first came about? I'm sure I heard people like Quincy Jones say some bad things about it.

Quincy Jones might hate black people too. Like I said, the jury still out! We need more research.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the MKX music meshed with what was happening better, in the 11 trailer it started off one way I kind abruptly switched to the hip-hop track. Maybe it should have started that way instead of switching? Idk, it did feel a little disjointed going back and forth.

Still was dope though.

CrackPebbles

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it worked great. Don't even like 21. But hip hop and fighting games has always been the perfect match for me.
way better than when they used chop suey for an MK trailer. and i'll take this over the techno inspired soundtrack of the classic MKs or the orchestral mood music we usually get any day.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I will say this, the song definitely took out the impact of the scene.
It would have been better just to have sound effects by themselves. Way more impact in my opinion.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the pairing. Same with the Wiz Khalifa MKX trailer. And rap, especially mumble is by far not my preferred genre. Shit was hype.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised so many people disagree with the OP. Is this like the white-gold/blue dress thing? I thought the song not going well with the images was something virtually everyone would agree on.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason 🤔 whenever hip hop music is used in games promotion people always lose their shit.

It's entirely predictable.

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason 🤔 whenever hip hop music is used in games promotion people always lose their shit.

I haven't really "Lost my shit" Just thought it was a poor song choice for the trailer. Nothing against a rap song being used, just pick a better one.

Oct 27, 2017
The song is fine, but the mixing seems off somehow. I got the same feeling as the OP when the song kicked in, like it was coming from another open tab.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It was cool but too low energy. 21 Savage makes it work on but he always sounds fucking bored. I think OP wasn't malicious in his intent, but whoever made this thread first, about disliking the trailer music, would get dogpiled on.

Even just from the tone of OP throughout the thread isn't one of "I hate hippity hop music because secret racism" or whatever.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Or maybe the song doesn't fit in their opinion. I think it didn't fit at all. I'd have loved a hip hop song with more energy. It was like Ben Stein doing commentary for the Super Bowl. It definitely didn't ruin it for me though, just didn't work so well.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
I really don't listen to 21 at all and I thought this was solid. Hip hop is really all I listen to though, so I would like it with any rap in the video anyway. Beat is nasty. Sounds like a Wheezy or Murda beat. But who knows. Didn't hear any tags on it in the video.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think almost any type of music can work if done correctly which this was not. It was mismatched, wasn't on tempo, on theme, or even thematically really covering the content. We have AMAZING examples of everything from rap, to pop, to country, electronica of all kinds, so I think most can be done with a bit of thought and some work by those putting it together.
Honestly I have rarely seen entire groups of people break out laughing instantly like it was a comedy or something. As others have said. Could have been the mixing or something else but I don't think JUST because it was Rap at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A forum full of middle-aged white dudes get whiny as hell that rap gets used in a MK trailer. I'm sure there's some part of this that's meant to surprise me.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What the hell is this? Say what you want about the song, but it doesn't go with the trailer at all. At first I genuinely thought the music was coming from another tab open in my browser.

Are there any other trailers with music as mismatched as this?

EDIT: My point is I just feel like the fast paced nature of what's happening in the trailer, doesn't mix well with the song used. I also wouldn't mind hearing just the actual song without lyrics to see if that fits any better, but obviously that isn't possible.

I agree with you, OP.

Poor song choice, the song didn't really have any presence aside from being mildly distracting.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I actually liked the laid back hip hop instrumental with the fighting.Just like what they did with the Mk10 trailer . It stands out to me, and it's something different from all of the gaming trailer these days with the overdone movie like soundtracks. However, i didn't like the rappers flow for this new trailer though. I thought it was weak, the mk x version was better.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, I'm just gonna keep it a thouwow. The trailer was dope and so was the track. It fits.

One thing about MK through the years is that it's always been able to adapt to the times when a game drops. It's always been able to tap into what's cool at the time. The trilogy had it's unique style of music that had techno and hip-hop influences, it tapped into that scene a bit and it helped raise it's "cool factor", you get that and the fatalities and yeah MK is cool. The 3D games tapped hard into the rock and metal scenes. The games even had music videos, at that time that was cool and fit the series, MK kept being the cool fighter. With the reboot it went with more dub-step which was noticeable, even Skrillex had that Reptile track and around then that's when more people in the mainstream noticed dubstep. With MKX Wiz jumped on a track which annoyed a lot of MK fans. That type of rap was mostly dominating from say 12-14 with the rise of 2 Chainz, Ye's Cruel Summer era and the consistent evolution of trap. That was in then. Now we see 21 release this track.

21's style of music is what's in today. His flow's popular, his delivery's popular, he's popular and I can see why. Most people don't like all that fast rapping and constant multi-syllable lyrics in their tracks, most people just want to vibe out and chill and that's especially when it comes to videogames. Me personally (a black man who's grown up in the South and with hip-hop) with 21 I see a guy who's just telling his story behind a beat and most listeners today think the same hence why he's so popular. His flow's straight-forward to the listener and the same applies to his lyrics. It's catchy to rap along to and beyond that it's got a vibe to it that most can latch onto. You compare that to someone from the 90s and it's a different story.

Like all the other musical styles used to promote the games they used this one because this type of rap's just in. Hip-hop's the leading musical genre in the US right now. Makes the most sense to go with a track that represents it and the vibe they're trying to give off here aka the "cool fighter is back guys, let's get this real fighting shit" type of feel to it. There's a certain fanbase that they're trying to tap into these things when they create them. Drake? He's dope but Drake's not the MK type of fan. Kendrick? He's dope but Kendrick's fanbase and 21's fanbase are two different fanbases. 21 works. Logic? Lord please. Any old school 90s rap? Kids today don't listen to that shit. As to how it fits well don't tell me you want to hear fighting and screaming and all that stuff when 10 years ago when the 3D games had all that you had some people saying "nah man this doesn't fit MK." Times change.

Honestly responses to threads like this really feels like certain people are crapping on either hip-hop or different styles of hip-hop today that they dislike. Like some kind of "well I don't like the song so lemme say it doesn't fit because it doesn't to me" when the reality is if NRS thinks it fits with their idea of MK, it fits their idea of MK. Their idea just isn't your idea. When I see the trailer I'm seeing 2 dudes fighting at a house party with music behind them and it makes sense. I'm not seeing some "omfg I wanna be hyped about this game" trailer, I'm seeing 2 guys throw down. Given I'm used to that type of hip-hop 21 was secondary compared to MK itself. The same thing happened with the Wiz track as well for me.

If it's not for you it's not for you but don't say it doesn't fit. Just say "nah my idea of MK isn't NRS's idea of MK and my idea think it doesn't fit" and let that be it. They know what's up.

And lastly, 21 is not a mumble rapper. He's a black man born in Atlanta. Fuck out of here with that because you can't understand how he speaks. That's disrespectful as hell.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Of course Rock is the alternative lol

Fast paced hip hop or hard rock are typically the go to choice for these sorts of games.

Just look at Guilty Gear for example, the entire series in itself is rooted in rock references even in some of the special moves and character names.

Another fine example is 3rd Strike with it's strong hip hop beats throughout the entire soundtrack.