• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Daft Punk would be neat.

There are Daft Punk action figures, but they're long sold out and insanely expensive now.
35-C6-E65-F-1476-4-F63-B7-F4-F92-FE83033-FF.jpg

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I think Pops are the ugliest designs ever, but I did buy their Cuphead figures. The only ones at the time (I don't know if there's others) that looked like the characters in the game. Their Pop counterparts are hideous.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah, a typical Funko thread where people rush to show how much they hate them and how cool they are because they buy another brand instead.

I have about 9, bought some for the wife and a few were gifts and they are pretty cool. Only reason we don't have more is because it starts to make things look cluttered and we have enough stuff as it is.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Funko Pops are hideous, but George is close enough to being a Funko Pop for that one to be on-model, so I guess it's a "broken clock" situation.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Funko's are fine, they're low cost which cuts out a HUGE barrier of entry to fandoms, and also they're great for children with no moving parts.

If you're just getting into a show/fandom, would you rather spend $100+ on a potentially out of print nendo? or $15 on a funko? Sure the nendo looks way better, but it's an investment early in your entry to the fandom, what if you don't like it after a few more episodes, or the fanbase is garbage?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Funko's are fine, they're low cost which cuts out a HUGE barrier of entry to fandoms, and also they're great for children with no moving parts.

If you're just getting into a show/fandom, would you rather spend $100+ on a potentially out of print nendo? or $15 on a funko? Sure the nendo looks way better, but it's an investment early in your entry to the fandom, what if you don't like it after a few more episodes, or the fanbase is garbage?
This. Not just in regards to Nendoroids, but to merch in general. I have a pretty great SH FigurArt Green Ranger figure... But I got lucky to find it in Brazil at a very reasonable price at the time. The Black Ranger one was, on the other hand, impossible for me to buy, but the Funko Pop at Target was 9 bucks. Sure, it's a completely different figure, but (for me, at least) it was better than nothing.

Not to mention other characters that rarely get any sort of merch, like the Swamp Thing, Cosmo the Space Dog, etc.
Same. It's plastic junk to clog up your house. Why.
This is a weird take in a video game forum.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This. Not just in regards to Nendoroids, but to merch in general. I have a pretty great SH FigurArt Green Ranger figure... But I got lucky to find it in Brazil at a very reasonable price at the time. The Black Ranger one was, on the other hand, impossible for me to buy, but the Funko Pop at Target was 9 bucks. Sure, it's a completely different figure, but (for me, at least) it was better than nothing.

Not to mention other characters that rarely get any sort of merch, like the Swamp Thing, Cosmo the Space Dog, etc.
Exactly! I have so many fantastic figures that I got at great prices by being in the right place at the right time. And they're sitting on my shelf beside funkos that if I wanted a better figure of them, I'd be spending hundreds of dollars.

They serve the exact same purpose on that shelf.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only Funko Pops I've got are the FLCL ones, but that was mostly due to the series having almost no merch period.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funkos vs. more detailed figures are just an extension of Console vs. PC, where one person just wants their out of the box toy that works fine but nooooo you're ruining everything by not spending money and building a PC you noooooob it's actually really cheap if you know what you're doing and look up the specs and find the paaaaaaarts

The people buying Funkos are people who won't buy anything else, they don't really care that much about build quality or painting or whatever and just want a cute little figure of their favourite show from 1993, and if you're the kind of person who gets elitist over what plastic shit people are buying, you might be a fucking dork.

More like bad taste people if you ask me.

My bad taste is being cushioned by about $50 to $70 Canadian per figure!

Also ugly af.
For real, I can never understand why people buy Funko Pops. They just look fucking bad.

They're collectibles that are cheap and easy enough for fandoms to buy merch of their favourite media when they aren't huge turbo nerds who think spending over $60 on a toy is an okay thing to do.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope this is really successful. I'd love to see Community, Parks and Rec, or The Office get sets like this.

I imagine a big stumbling block would be a lot of the best selling lines likely don't have a singular iconic set? Like for SW you could do Jabba's throne room, the Cantina, or the Endor planning room maybe?

Kinda want a WandaVision one where each set peice is from a different era and you combine them all together like a sitcom rainbow.

Actually, Star Trek bridges is a super obvious choice and I'm kinda surprised they didn't start with it.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The room is neat and the figures are superior simply by being from the Mini line.

Mini Funkos look so much better than normal ones. First time I saw them was with Steven Universe, at first I didn't even realize they were made by the same company.

Mini Funko:
nNi6jOO.png

Funko:
rodc6U8.png

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I hope this is really successful. I'd love to see Community, Parks and Rec, or The Office get sets like this.

I imagine a big stumbling block would be a lot of the best selling lines likely don't have a singular iconic set? Like for SW you could do Jabba's throne room, the Cantina, or the Endor planning room maybe?

Kinda want a WandaVision one where each set peice is from a different era and you combine them all together like a sitcom rainbow.

Actually, Star Trek bridges is a super obvious choice and I'm kinda surprised they didn't start with it.

I can't imagine how you'd separate it into individual pieces but the Greendale study room would be amazing.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The room is neat and the figures are superior simply by being from the Mini line.

Mini Funkos look so much better than normal ones. First time I saw them was with Steven Universe, at first I didn't even realize they were made by the same company.

Mini Funko:
nNi6jOO.png

Funko:
rodc6U8.png

Wow, you're right. I wouldn't have thought those first figures were funko. Also the first time I've seen a funko product I would consider getting.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fully grown adults purchase these things and display them in their houses...

bet yall have got collectors edition videogame character figures hanging out too.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wow, you're right. I wouldn't have thought those first figures were funko. Also the first time I've seen a funko product I would consider getting.

Funko makes a whole bunch of different lines of products, the "Pop!" are just their most popular series. Assuming Funko begins and ends with Pop is like assuming that Mattel only makes Barbie dolls.

I love their Hikari line, which I believe is largely out of production. It's got a real 50s/60s flair to it.

GUEST_107133c7-76b6-43df-b0e0-9d63a93b6ae1

I love Death Stranding, and I'd like to have a little figure of Sam Porter Bridges.

When the options for a figure are a $10 Funko Pop, two Nendoroid variations at roughly $60 and $90, and a $120 Figma, I'll probably take that $10 figure.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I can't imagine how you'd separate it into individual pieces but the Greendale study room would be amazing.

I'm thinking they split the table in the center up by seat, so each character comes with their square of the table and a slice of the floor and back wall. Then the seat not for the Greendale Seven would probably be the Dean? Plus a ventilation duct for Chang (or an exterior panel for him to look in on like the diorama from the show!).

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Funko makes a whole bunch of different lines of products, the "Pop!" are just their most popular series. Assuming Funko begins and ends with Pop is like assuming that Mattel only makes Barbie dolls.

Eh, if I walked into a store and the entire Mattel section was only Barbie with no other sections that would be the equivalent I guess, and I would make that assumption there as well. For better or worse the Pop line is what defines Funko. Good for the (many) people that like them.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Says guy on a video game forum.

Why do people make posts like these?
Some people really do think their shit don't stink and love to look down on others.

Usually these are the same people who are so insecure about what others think that they won't buy or hide a console because they are scared their friends will take the piss out of them.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely buy Pops anymore simply to save money but I definitely had to grab this at Target a few weeks ago.

POP-Ad-Icons-McDonalds-Fireman-Nugget

That's just adorable.
Yeah, I've slowed down a lot as well, but I definitely had to fight off bots to get the Funko Shop exclusive Selena

EvcMFS6VEAAzi7A

the Soda line has actually been pretty good too:

EwuZHAnWQAIg-RB

EwuWEJNW8AIM0R_