• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a $499 next-gen system at launch?

• Yes, price is irrelevant

Votes: 664 18.2%
  • Yes, if the tech justifies it

Votes: 1,328 36.5%
  • Yes, if the games justify it

Votes: 1,161 31.9%
  • No, $499 is too high, I will wait for a price cut

Votes: 795 21.8%
  • No, and it has nothing to do with price, I just don't want to buy a console at launch

Votes: 431 11.8%
  • No, I am not yet sold on a next generation console

Votes: 382 10.5%

• Total voters

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I forgot inflation isn't a thing on this forum. The PS2 launched at 444.67$ when using 2019 dollars. The best bang for the buck at the start of next gen will be used PS4s, let the cheapskates buy that.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Price isn't an issue. Depends on how many console exclusives and 1st party exclusives end up being out at launch. Because there's no point in playing any of those on console for me if I can play them on PC.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely there day 1. Especially after trading in the older consoles, which will take ~$200 off launch prices

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If the tech, games, and services are there, I'm in. And yes, as others have said, since my GP Ultimate sub is good until mid-2021, I should hopefully be able to enjoy some launch games that are included with it.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Lol nope. That's 666$ canadian dollars. Add taxes and it comes out at around 750$. Nope nope. That's without games too so add another 90$. Looking at those prices I can see the appeal of Stadia.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The price is fine. But I'm not wasting money at launch like I did with the ps4. I'll wait for the library to be worthwhile

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
For the first time since the N64/PlayStation days, I'm willing to wait for price drops. My Scorpio is doing just fine, and I have a feeling this time there will be even more cross gen titles than ever. Hopefully.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all - there will be too many cross generation games for me to justify the cost.

Also those late gen games and OneX/PS4 Pro still look great to me.

More likely to try out Stadia or another streaming service for a couple months before spending 500 on a console.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Follow up question for those who are interested in answering: how much do you think the current state of the poll represents the larger mainstream market?

There's literally people in this thread saying they would find a way to give console makers $800 for their consoles, whether by adding games or network cards or whatnot.

So, uh, I don't think ResetEra reflects the market at large.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't want to. But would if the specs and games justify that price point. $400 would be the respectable sweet spot IMO. Now if there are more expensive editions/bundles that increase storage space or other optional features like that then that's fine and understandable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I waited until the PS4 hit $200 to get it. I generally wait several years after a console is out to get it unless it's Nintendo.

I need games, man.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
No question I would, especially if it can boost some current gen games to 60fps. If I get the target visuals for TLOU2 with the PS5 and if Halo really makes launch they are a must.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It would take a huge title for me to go for that price... Halo is not my cup tea so I know I wont buy an Xbox at launch, but Playstation could possibly proved a launch title I'd go in on.

If they have Last of Us 2 PS5 version I might go in.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. It's a tiny investment in the long run, try add up everything you've spent on PS4/XB1/Switch, games+hardware+services, the total cost will surprise you.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony goes for $499. I love the $399 price but i want them to go all out with tech.

Honestly I hope they just re-use the DS4 next gen so they dont have to put a controller in the PS5 box for even more component $$$

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
No, I would rather wait for consoles to get games, price cuts,etc. I also prefer investing in a PC for versatility.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I have neither the time nor the money to just throw money at a console right at launch, especially at $500.

I'll wait until it gets a couple good games on it or it starts dipping in price, whichever comes first.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I usually wait a year or two until after release to buy a console. I think I bought a ps4 to play destiny on it. Just can't remember when that was in the timeline or how soon after launch that was.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That would probably be at least $800 in Australia. Hard nope.

I'd wait until it was about $600 or less here (~400 USD). Edit: Then again...if it's backwards compatible and I can get a good price on my God of War Pro...and there are some cool launch games...and after a month or so there doesn't seem to be any issues with the first shipment...maybe.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not unless the console (read: PS5) is fully backward compatible (physical/digital) and I get a dope deal on my PS4 trade in.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
$500 would be pushing it, but at $400 plus the cash I'd get for selling the older console (and assuming we get BC) I'd bite. At $500 there'd have to be a really compelling lineup of games.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm booked enough to have the disposable income to do so. Gaming is one of my only "vices" so I would go for it

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably buy PS5 day one for the hype and because I just enjoy getting new consoles early as possible.

Having BC with PS4 will be a big reason why I won't waver though.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
$499 is sort of my limit, it's what I already have saved and locked up, but I'm flexible if the launch content looks good and the backwards compatibility is good. I just need an early enough price announcement to work on saving the extra money. My launch PS4 is long in the tooth and I skipped out on upgrading to a Pro figuring the PS5 was right around the corner.

I'm also dropping some cash into a PC for Destiny in September, and so are the majority of my Destiny friends. It'll be harder for a console to pull me these days since the big exclusives have wandered out of my taste for the most part.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
when you consider that just a few years ago, Microsoft's primary offering was a 1.3TF console, and next year we'll get one that's upwards of 12TF, $500 seems like a pretty good deal, especially if it has One X-class build quality.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
$400-500 is my sweespot, I don't expect them to go any higher. There's a high chance I'll be there at launch, but we'll see.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If there's a game I really want on it, I'm sold.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Current gen console hardware is absolute trash.

Can't wait for decent CPUs and storage. Using Jaguar and spinning disks in 2019 is absolute insanity.