• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okami vs. Darksiders: Which is the better 3D Zelda-style game?

• Okami

Votes: 524 75.0%
  • Darksiders

Votes: 174 24.9%

• Total voters

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
No contest here. Darksiders is a nice fun series, but Okami is downright masterful. The art style and soundtrack are absolutely peerless, and there's so much story to go through it's almost like painting your way through all of Japanese classical mythology.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend Okami op. Then again it's the only 3D Zelda game I've ever liked so I'm not sure my opinion on this genre is worth much.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders was an average game at best, it doesnt deserve to be in a conversation with Okami.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I'm playing through Darksiders 3 rn and it's absolutely outstanding how well woven the world design is, it's honestly criminal that the game scored so poorly

Beyond the garbage console performance of course

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Okami is a more unique game and it stands out in terms of art, music, mechanics and settings. If you're the kind of gamer who values gameplay then I feel Darksiders' is much tighter and its dungeon design is better too. I don't think Okami plays well tbch but it's worth playing for the rest of the package.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Oh wait OP is looking for a Switch recommendation?

Don't play Darksiders 2 unless you're on a PC with all of the CheatEngine shit on. Because that game is awful.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders. Really well placed, good combat and the best dungeons in a game of this type that isnt OOT or TP.

Okami just goes on for way too fucking long. It becomes an absolute slog. Beautiful game though.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm playing through Darksiders 3 rn and it's absolutely outstanding how well woven the world design is, it's honestly criminal that the game scored so poorly

Beyond the garbage console performance of course
Some of you people are making me reconsider skipping on Darksiders 3.
Reviews were extremely harsh with it and I assumed the low budget made it a failure.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
This question surprised me. My first reaction was that Okami was far and away the better experience.

But after thinking about it for a minute, I realized I enjoyed my time with Darksiders 1 and 2 (haven't tried 3 yet) more than I did with Okami.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Okami, easily.

Besides, I don't even consider Darksiders to be a Zelda-like like many others do. The gameplay and vibes feel way different. Combat is more like an action hack-and-slash - kind of DMC-lite, I guess you could say.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders 1 is my favorite Zelda game. Loved pretty much everything about it. Graphic style, characters, combat system... Too bad the sequels don't hold up.

Okami is also very good but I actually never finished it. I should finish it one day... It's one of the most charming games ever made.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I can't vote since I only played Darksiders but I hope to fix that soon! I've had the physical Switch version on my shelf just waiting for a dry month. Here's hoping it is as good as everyone says.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Some of you people are making me reconsider skipping on Darksiders 3.
Reviews were extremely harsh with it and I assumed the low budget made it a failure.

Darksiders 3 has, at the severe cost of the Souls gameplay, some of the best world and level design in the series, the best storytelling and dialogue with Fury cementing her status as the best protagonist, some excellent boss fights save for like, one that's mid-late game, and a wonderful score.

Buy it used

Oct 31, 2017
Okami, easily.

Besides, I don't even consider Darksiders to be a Zelda-like like many others do. The gameplay and vibes feel way different. Combat is more like an action hack-and-slash - kind of DMC-lite, I guess you could say.
Darksiders 1? When it comes to itemization, pacing and dungeon structure it's literally one of the "Zelda clones" that stuck closer to the original formula.
It simply had a combat that borrowed a bit more from God of War than from the other Zelda games, but apart from that I could think of very few games that I consider more deserving of the label "Zelda-like".

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Playing through Okami right now actually! Bought the physical edition from Japan. I had the ps2 version ofcourse but havent played it since those days.

Its still a very polished Zelda-like game with lots of charm, humor and tight gameplay. The start is kinda slow but its a masterpiece no doubt. Id go with that. Its also very long!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its better than Skyward and thats about it. Twilight is a good couple of tiers above it.
Naw, friend. Okami's superiority in art and soundtrack alone elevate it legions over Twilight Princess, but then we consider that Okami's central mechanics are actually far better fleshed out than the Wolf Link gimmick in Twilight Princess, or Okami's livelier overworld, and it's a wash.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders 1 is much better if you're specifically looking for a zelda-like. I really never got those vibes from Okami.

Also Okami is way too goddamned long.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders 2 is a slog. I tried for hours and hours to get into it and quit. It's Devil May Cry 2 levels for a disappointing sequel, but I could actually stand to play through DMC2.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Okami is so goddamn slow anyone playing through it in 2019 will have second thoughts with it.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Naw, friend. Okami's superiority in art and soundtrack alone elevate it legions over Twilight Princess, but then we consider that Okami's central mechanics are actually far better fleshed out than the Wolf Link gimmick in Twilight Princess, or Okami's livelier overworld, and it's a wash.

The only thing I agree with is the art. Much like Wind Waker its the best thing about it and outside of music the rest is just average.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I voted for Okami...
Then I remembered, I've actually finished Darksiders. I've never finished Okami, not even close, on 2 different consoles. That should say something, right?

Ps: darksiders 2 is utter trash

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
why ppl still saying Darksiders is like zelda game? a friend of mine told me it was like god of war and zelda and he convinced me to play it and god what a let down.

Oct 28, 2017
Not even a contest. Darksiders wipes the floor with Okami. Okami is a garbage game that wastes the players time. Garbage unskippable long ass boring intro. Doesn't know when to end. It's a pacing nightmare. Awful combat. Darksiders on the other hand is a great game without too much filler, it's focused, has fun combat as well as fantastic dungeon and puzzle design.

It's a shame Darksiders 2 shit the bed though. With that said, even Darksiders 2 is better than Okami. God I fucking hate Okami. What a goddamn waste of my time.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
My heart says Okami, but every other part of me says Darksiders. I prefer the aesthetic and such if Okami. But I liked playing Darksiders much more.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_oczmc7zulP1tewh4uo1_400.gif
tumblr_poiuf1WHAq1wv5hmyo1_500.gif

tumblr_po5c80R5Db1shz10eo1_500.gif
tumblr_nms9ouDz8m1su0l56o1_400.gif

Come on gumshoe I dislike DS2 as much as the next guy but there's a clear difference in quality between DMC2 and DS2
Everyone prefers different things, but I couldn't stand my time with Darksiders 2.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders 1? When it comes to itemization, pacing and dungeon structure it's literally one of the "Zelda clones" that stuck closer to the original formula.
It simply had a combat that borrowed a bit more from God of War than from the other Zelda games, but apart from that I could think of very few games that I consider more deserving of the label "Zelda-like".
It has items and dungeons, but I wouldn't even consider the pacing to be like a typical Zelda game. I mean, it has been a long time since I last played it, but I recall it being a lot more action-focused than what I'd expect from Zelda. Either way, I remember it not scratching the Zelda-itch I had.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I feel like my memory of how good Okami was is better than it actually was because the pacing is pretty horrendous and the tutorial aspects of it were pretty overdone. But certainly the music/art were quite nice and I overall enjoyed the combat and puzzles. Not on the level of any 3D Zelda game in my opinion but a respectable game. Haven't played Darksiders.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I'd say they're at about the same level. Okami is way more original and inspired, but Darksiders is a more tight experience with better pace.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I played Okami right before Twilight Princess because I got them around the same time. I never thought I'd like a game more than a Zelda game when put head to head, but I fell in love with Okami so much.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Okami drags longer than the opening of skywardsword

Art style goes a long way for some folks I guess

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've tried Darksiders 1 and 2 (twice) and can't make any headway in. Bought Okami on Switch the time just flew. Yeah pacing is off and the sequel is in the game but boy is it good.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This isn't even close. Okami is a straight-up masterpiece. Putting almost any game next to it will make the other game look bad, including Darksiders. Glad to see the poll is bearing out accordingly!

None of this is to say Darksiders is bad, but Okami is downright divine. Pun intended.