• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm browsing some review aggregator sites and I honestly can't find shit about any of these. All of them are of COURSE rated 4.5, 4.8 etc. in the freaking Google Play or Apple Stores. So everything blends together and I honestly can't tell if ANY of them are worth my time.

So I'm asking Era what they think instead.

Are any of these mobile RPGs worth a damn?
  1. AFK Arena
  2. Hero Wars
  3. Idle Heroes
  4. Knights Chronicle
  5. RAID: Shadow Legends

There's hundreds more.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah man, they're all creatively bankrupt time and money sinks. Half of them have to market themselves either by sex appeal, bizarre humor, or just making themselves look like actually good games that already exist because they have no merit on their own.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics lately. It came out like 5 years ago, but since phones have gotten better it's actually playable now.

Naturally there are a ton of other final fantasy games you could play on your phone as well.

As for the stuff you mentioned above, it's a lot of grind for little gameplay. Play level 2 over and over for a drop that lets you beat level 6. Play level 5 over and over again for a drop that lets you beat least 9. That's the entire game, start to finish.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know any of these.

If you want a pastime just play Clicker Heroes.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I'm currently playing Marvel Strike Heroes. Seems kinda nice. Filled with MT though.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Someone should reccomend me a offline turn based rpg for android while were on the topic of mobile games.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in my experience, the best mobile RPGs out there are usually the ones that are seldom advertised. Shoutouts to The Quest HD (and its 10,000 expansions lmao)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Nah...they are all trash. Gacha is one of the most tedious mechanic ever and grinding for currency essentially become your 2nd job if you're not willing to spend money.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm browsing some review aggregator sites and I honestly can't find shit about any of these. All of them are of COURSE rated 4.5, 4.8 etc. in the freaking Google Play or Apple Stores. So everything blends together and I honestly can't tell if ANY of them are worth my time.

So I'm asking Era what they think instead.

Are any of these mobile RPGs worth a damn?
  1. AFK Arena
  2. Hero Wars
  3. Idle Heroes
  4. Knights Chronicle

There's hundreds more.
I've tried #5 and I have to say it's not great.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
so this thread sent me down wikipedia hole, specifically "gacha", and I found this amusing

Shortly after, the suggested investigation was performed and the model of complete gacha was declared illegal by the Consumer Affairs Agency, citing the Law for Preventing Unjustifiable Extras or Unexpected Benefit and Misleading Representation

lol nice law. ok carry on.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Everyone in this thread pretending to have played those games, calling them trash.

They're probably trash, sure, but I assume if you were looking for a totally guessed opinion you could have done that yourself.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I tried them for some time and they're all very bad and whale baits with some crazy MTX.

Luerton

Nov 28, 2017
I am playing now some "obscure" incremental games. Not really obscure but they are antimatter dimensions and realm grinder. There are almost infite games of this genre that are absolute trash, but are being advertised a lot.
Both games and some nice suggestions I have found on forums about this "genre". Is there any viable webpage with reviews or youtube channel about mobile gaming? Most that I've seen advertise (sorry, review) the same games that are being advertised on google play / iOs.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
The only one of those gatcha games I bother to play is Dissidia Opera Omnia, and even that I would only recommend if you're really into seeing Final Fantasy characters interact with each other

Seems surprisingly un-greedy in it's monetization too, which helps

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
  1. AFK Arena
  2. Hero Wars
  3. Idle Heroes
  4. Knights Chronicle
1. No. The company took a really solid base and has flumoxed the game every update. And it's an idle game, so it's really not an RPG.
2. No. Bad art, generic gameplay. Not the worst, but there are so many better games out there.
3. Probably the "best" idle game on the market if you're really just looking for a set-and-forget game, but you have to get past the art, which I think looks horrible.
4. Dying game. Don't bother. It's not bad, but it's an older game.
5. Only popular because of the insane amount of advertising they're pumping out. Super ugly and the events are incredibly P2W. The company that runs it is shady as hell.

My recommendations are as follows, if you're looking for an RPG on mobile. I'll split them into three categories.

You looking for an idle game with RPG elements? Ulula Adventure just launched and is a co-op focused idle game with some really neat mechanics. Check on it for 3 minutes twice a day, you're good to go.

You looking for an RPG with some light gacha elements? Another Eden is a very traditional RPG with Chrono influence, and has some light gacha elements for characters, but the game really is a traditional RPG. Play at your leisure, although there are some events.

You looking for a time-consuming RPG? Epic Seven. Great art, great characters, decent enough story, and content constantly being released. If you don't care about PVP, the game is completely F2P. If you care about PVP, prepare to grind and grind and grind. And spend money.

And oh look, classic ERA shitting on everything that isn't premium. What a shock.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Of that list I play RAID: Shadow Legends.

It does push it's Paid stuff heavily (to an annoying extent) but I've actually found some fun in it. I actually like the designs of the characters as they generally tend to lead to more realistic. Like it's nice that there is a fairly large selection of female characters that are fully clothed in realistic armor.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The thing you need to realise with gacha games is that they have no end. It is not a legitimate RPG in the sense that you have your heroes set out and eventually finish your adventure. The gacha rpg games are typically a few heroes featured prominently in most stories, many side characters you recruit (through daily lootbox for example or earning credits via in game achievement/rewards or buying with cash) and a continuous or multiple stories. Usually you have events that bring in some side stories and new characters. Very rarely will there be deep or meaningful changes in story that affect your characters. Deaths in the story won't prevent them from being used for example.

Sometimes the mechanics and simple loot box dopamine can be enjoyed but you need to make sure you don't fall prey to the game's predatory tactics in convincing you to bring out your wallet.

I play Epic7 currently but have played a couple of other gacha games.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The only one of those gatcha games I bother to play is Dissidia Opera Omnia, and even that I would only recommend if you're really into seeing Final Fantasy characters interact with each other

Seems surprisingly un-greedy in it's monetization too, which helps
Same, it's fun and the most F2P friendly Gacha I played thus far, but it's nothing like the game listed in the OP which are just blatant cash grabs.
They're talking about those over-advertised games.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should reccomend me a offline turn based rpg for android while were on the topic of mobile games.
generally better off just buying the android port of a console or PC rpg to be honest

which reminds me I should get back to final fantasy tactics at some point

Other than that the only good one I played was Steven Universe: Attack the Light, which is a basic Paper Mario style rpg. Unless you watched the show, though, you probably aren't going to care about any of the characters

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I have tried AFK Arena. It's fun for a day or so and then the pay-to-win gacha stuff takes over. If you can avoid the temptation to put down money, I bet these are fun timekillers for a few hours each.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Same, it's fun and the most F2P friendly Gacha I played thus far, but it's nothing like the game listed in the OP which are just blatant cash grabs.
They're talking about those over-advertised games.
Indeed, which is a shame because some of those types of games (like Raid which I tried briefly) actually have decent production values

A shame it uses just the most basic gatcha RPG system, Summoner's War in a slightly better looking skin

Dragalia Lost is another game besides Dissidia that had a good, non-greedy monetization system

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I only have 1 RPG on my phone and it's Tactics: War of the Lions. Will definitely stick a bunch of these suggested RPGs on my wishlist for whenever I get enough google play store credit to buy things.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
The only good RPG ive ever played was very recently with Battle Chasers Nightwar. If you like classic Turn Based combat without any gimmicks and microtransactions its worth a shot

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am playing now some "obscure" incremental games. Not really obscure but they are antimatter dimensions and realm grinder. There are almost infite games of this genre that are absolute trash, but are being advertised a lot.
Both games and some nice suggestions I have found on forums about this "genre". Is there any viable webpage with reviews or youtube channel about mobile gaming? Most that I've seen advertise (sorry, review) the same games that are being advertised on google play / iOs.

As far as incremental go, I can recommend a few premium ones:

Universal Paperclips
SPACEPLAN
A Dark Room
Kittens Game (this one will last months)

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Prolly try dragalia or e7 decent games even tho i quit both of them

Too bad my preferred gacha game doesn't have english text (princess connect redive)