• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So Gen Y seems to mainly be liberal-leaning (obviously every generation has their conservative side) from what I've observed.

Companies and giant conglomerates seem to be exploiting social and ecological issues that Gen Y seem passionate about more and more often (which seems to piss off the Boomer Gen), by that it seems to be a good 60% or more of Gen Y seems to be liberal-leaning. Not to say that every Millennial is a liberal, we know for a fact there's plenty of alt-right and conservative people our age.

So in 20 years time will there be a similar hatred Gen Z or Gen Alpha will have at Gen Y? I myself being my mid-30s am Gen Y and have obvious reasons to feel betrayed by Boomers in general (don't feel anything too bad against Gen X, especially when a good section of Gen X "fought the power" back in their day, plus with two Gen X sisters who are relatively liberal it's hard to be too mad).

But I'm thinking will there be something that Gen Y feels so passionate about by 2040 that is at odds with Gen Z and Alpha have similar feelings towards me and my generation that they'll be a similar "Ok Millennial" meme? Or is it just a fact of life that the older you get the more conservative you vote? Or will the young right just replace the older right-wing and Millennials will be painted as right-wing monsters?

Or do you think that the future on the horizon is bright with Gen Z and Alpha and they'll generally have similar political views, orrrr do you think Gen Alpha will rebel and become extremely conservative and right-wing?

I now await people just replying with "OK Millennial" without anything to add to the conversation.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I really really hate the naming and fingerpointing at generations that has grown ever more prevalent the last few years. I sigh when I see someone write "ok boomer" or hear people complain about millennials. Can't we just undo this whole line of thought? It's both unconstructive, reductive and annoying.

Jul 4, 2018
They will hate us for allowing the internet and social media to take all our data and make us feel like shit while shrugging it off.

But in all seriousness I think it's perfectly natural to idolise and eventually resent those older than you, seems to be part of human DNA which leads to social and technological changes which are generally positive most of the time.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really really hate the naming and fingerpointing at generations that has grown ever more prevalent the last few years. I sigh when I see someone write "ok boomer" or hear people complain about millennials. Can't we just undo this whole line of thought? It's both unconstructive, reductive and annoying.

You have my sword!

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I think gens Y and Z have a lot in common really. Boomers just call us all millennials anyway. The attitudes of the people coming after that will be interesting to see though.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

They're always on tech, and they're super hipster and have handlebar mustaches to look cool. For some reason, they always have piercings. They're kinda like Nazis. [They] completely destroyed our reputation. They're just dicks because of how annoying and hipster they are.

But the type of things millennials go on are Tumblr and Reddit, which are the most scumbag things ever. They'll laugh at memes about race or jokes about Americans or other countries. But then, if someone makes a meme about women or gay stereotypes they're like, "How dare you?!" They're more pissed off by the N-word than the actual meaning of it. Trust me, I'm left wing, I'm liberal, but millennials always think they know more politics than you. No joke.
-Luke, 11, New Canaan, Connecticut

Wow...Luke is on fire. XD

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow...Luke is on fire. XD
But then, if someone makes a meme about women or gay stereotypes they're like, "How dare you?!" They're more pissed off by the N-word than the actual meaning of it. Trust me, I'm left wing, I'm liberal, but millennials always think they know more politics than you. No joke.
1489430075389-Screen-Shot-2017-03-13-at-112620-AM.png

so what's his voat account

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's gonna be ok. I won't be miffed if someone pulls that on me in 2040. I'll just chuckle and ruffle their hair

pretzel

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 9, 2019
Germany
Gen Z will end up as being the most hypocrite of any generation, yes even more than Boomers.
They are so vocal about saving the planet, climate etc., yet their diet and consumption mostly consists of products made by criminal organizations destroying the environment all around the world. As a millennial I will hopefully spent my retirement on a space station, laughing about those brats back on this shithole rock trying to survive in an even more toxic work life and dystopian society with social credit and what not.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
It doesn't make much sense to ask this question now. The true test will be twenty years from now when the majority of positions of power will be held by Millenials. If we can't enact meaningful change at that point, there will be legitimate reason for younger generations to hate us.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

It's a never ending cycle.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible what happened to Boomers may not ever happen again. Boomers either got left behind or checked themselves out. The world changed within a few years when they weren't paying attention and they got permanently frozen in a different era. They walk through this world like they're speaking a dead language when the world switched to something else. They can't comprehend technology and they can't comprehend society as it is now. Concepts like troll farms, Twitter culture, Fortnite, they can't comprehend any of it. The hatred for Boomers is how little they comprehend and how massive their power still is.

I don't know if any generation that grows up digitally native can lose their ability to adapt to a changing world. If you drop a Millennial into the future 100 years from now they can probably get up to speed rather quickly. So I don't know if there will ever be a reason to hate Millennials and all newer generations that follow them if they have an innate ability to adapt to a changing world.

Oct 27, 2017
So Gen Y seems to mainly be liberal-leaning (obviously every generation has their conservative side) from what I've observed.

Nah, kids are always the same every generation. They're rebellious, they say "fuck the police" a lot and they try to save the world in the most absurd ways. Then they get older, society changes and then suddenly they're not ok with those changes, but kids around that time are and will use stuff like "ok boomer" to piss them off.

Kids who think they're so progressive and modern today will grow to be "ban these new people from mars I don't like" in the future most likely.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Nah, kids are always the same every generation. They're rebellious, they say "fuck the police" a lot and they try to save the world in the most absurd ways. Then they get older, society changes and then suddenly they're not ok with those changes, but kids around that time are and will use stuff like "ok boomer" to piss them off.

Kids who think they're so progressive and modern today will grow to be "ban these new people from mars I don't like" in the future most likely.

Gen Y becomes the first pioneers on Mars, working hard to terraform the planet into a utopia, however, become billionaires in real estate, create class warfare between those who can afford to live on Mars and who's stuck on earth. Alpha and Beta Generation creates the "Ok Martians" meme over Gen Y and Z's success.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How dare Luke speak to us like that? Why, we should put chips all over our bodies in retribution! That'll show 'em, oooohh yes!

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I don't know if any generation that grows up digitally native can lose their ability to adapt to a changing world. If you drop a Millennial into the future 100 years from now they can probably get up to speed rather quickly. So I don't know if there will ever be a reason to hate Millennials and all newer generations that follow them if they have an innate ability to adapt to a changing world.

Gen Z is vulnerable to online hate groups like Neo Nazis abusing platform like twitter and You Tube to recruit kids, PewPieDie being a prominent example.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

ok boomer

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I don't think most Gen X has that much power. Look at politics - most are older. Even the manager-y people I know are mostly C-levels or maybe sub-Director level.

In the corporate world the C-levels tend to be 50+ IMO.

(I'm one of those Xennials @ 40)

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please post a breakdown of what age bracket are in what gen. I swear its like every day a new gen shows up and I am not sure which is supposed to be which again? Thanks in advance.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Every generation is liberal when they are young. Millennials and Zoomers are not some oddity.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please post a breakdown of what age bracket are in what gen. I swear its like every day a new gen shows up and I am not sure which is supposed to be which again? Thanks in advance.

Roughly:
Silent - mid-70s to mid-90s
Boomers - late 50s to mid-70s
X - late 30s to mid-50s
Millennials - early 20s to mid-30s
Zoomers - below that