• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whats the better game?

• Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2... Lights out! Guerrilla Radio!

Votes: 888 52.2%
  • Tony hawk Pro Skater 3... Revert changed EVERYTHING!

Votes: 787 46.3%
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skate r 5 /s lol jk

Votes: 25 1.5%

• Total voters

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Both fantastic, sank countless hours in to both.

I have extremely fond memories of both sound tracks and map sets, but I have to tip my hat to THPS3 with the dynamic levels like LA's Earthquake etc.

Also THPS3 has Mad Capsule Markets on it, so this instantly puts it in the lead.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The best console version of 2 is still THPS2X for the Xbox.

THPS3 for me overall though. I understand the love for THPS2 though but I just enjoy the gameplay of 3 the most. It's the most fun to go back to randomly

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The best console version of 2 is still THPS2X for the Xbox.

THPS3 for me overall though. I understand the love for THPS2 though but I just enjoy the gameplay of 3 the most. It's the most fun to go back to randomly

When I answered the poll I considered the choices to be the best versions of each game. I think this is Xbox for both, though someone is free to correct me.

I love both these games quite a bit; friendships were built around these games when I was younger.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between those two it's 3, no contest (besides those rose tinted glasses perceptions). 4 and THUG 1 are still better, though. Project 8 is no slouch either, the animations look amazing in that game.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the hell out of both, but I gotta go with 3. Revert was great, and I think the control in general was a bit better.

Oct 28, 2017
2 is the idiot choice here. Revert took the combo abilities from just basic stuff to MVC2 levels of infinite madness.

THUG will forever be the best but THPS3 bodyslams 2 through the entire solar system.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
2 was such an upgrade from 1. It added everything I could have wanted as a skateboarding obsessed kid.

3 is great, but to me it felt more like an updated 2.

Oct 28, 2017
Ive seen dumber poll results in my life but this one is certainly up there. Tony Hawk is a franchise that is built purely on mechanics and systems that all tie into one another. Tony hawk 2's framerate, laggy controls and shitty draw distance gets in the way of all what makes Tony Hawk great. Its not even a fair comparison considering how much the PS2 fixed all of this over the PS1 Tony Hawk games. Deeper create a skater, more complex missions, level design, revert, and just an overall better performing game makes 3 the obvious choice. Soundtracks are whatever.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
THPS 4 because I spent all my time at alcatraz.

Also after I got exposed to the "free roam" thps I never could go back to the 2 minute levels.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
They are both amazing games but 3 takes the mechanics to another level, also the exploration and progression of 3 never lets you stop playing until you are completely done with it.

Oct 28, 2017
This is some out-fucking-rageous stuff to be posting in a Tony Hawk thread.
hahaha i know but if i had to pick one i would say 2 had a better soundtrack, but i dont think it makes or breaks tony hawk for me. In fact allot of the music kind of blends together. I couldn't tell you which game a song came from. I truly am a tony hawk fan. Ive played them all to death and is maybe my most played game franchise of all time. I was speed running 3 before i knew what speed running was.

Want to hear something more outrageous. If i'm going to play a tony hawk game today i would probably play Underground 2. It has Classic Mode, the most complex combo system and most of the levels from previous games and then some. Fuck me right?

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm a huge Bad Religion fan so You being on THPS2 soundtrack would push it harder, but 3 is just possibly one of my favourites in the series. The Revert is great and I loved all the levels in it. I gots to go with 3.

I actually agree with Chip tho, if I was to play one now it'd be Underground 2. The customisation (and soundtrack again...) was great and it has a genuinely pretty good PSP port.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I can still grind the entire Paris level in my head, from THPS3 I only remember Foundry & the Cruise Ship.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hahaha i know but if i had to pick one i would say 2 had a better soundtrack, but i dont think it makes or breaks tony hawk for me. In fact allot of the music kind of blends together. I couldn't tell you which game a song came from. I truly am a tony hawk fan. Ive played them all to death and is maybe my most played game franchise of all time. I was speed running 3 before i knew what speed running was.

Want to hear something more outrageous. If i'm going to play a tony hawk game today i would probably play Underground 2. It has Classic Mode, the most complex combo system and most of the levels from previous games and then some. Fuck me right?
I'm not here to judge anybody's taste on their favourite THPS game, I think there's merit to every single one of them when viewed in a vacuum.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I played the TH2 demo almost as much as I played the final game. I loved that game.

Better levels and better OST > the refined gameplay imo.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I loved them both but 3 just stands out in my memory more E.G. levels, soundtrack...
Graphics of course are a bit better. Why must the ones I love fight?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Real talk, Underground is the best one IMO, but 2 comes next for me. 2 had much better levels and a better soundtrack for me(so, more nostalgia) even though 3 had undeniably better gameplay.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
THPS2 has a better soundtrack, better levels, and manuals were a bigger addition. Obviously, THPS3 has the advantages of coming out a gen later, 2 was the biggest jump for the franchise by far. THPS4 is the best in the franchise overall.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played the hell out of classic TH games and loved 3 the most. Revert just opened up for some ridiculous combos plus the hidden moves double tapping buttons. Mix that with custom soundtrack on xbox plus online, perfection.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I put more thought into this than I thought I would. I have great memories of both games, and there's equal amounts of stuff I like and dislike in each. It comes down to this for me:
I like the stages SLIGHTLY more in 3.
But the soundtrack in 2 is worlds better.
The soundtrack tips it in favor of 2 for me.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Does 2x count?

7aeeffd2-5a53-4b38-9b35-9b9c7f0247c3_1.4344d74f1b3efaf87aa3851ad379f236.jpeg

side note, is there any way to play these games now or would I have to dig up an old console

Are people who are voting 3 just voting for the gameplay mechanics? Because the levels in 3 are so dull and have some terrible lines in them - the worst offenders being Suburbia, Rio, and the Airport - unless you LOVE to grind long, straight (or round) rail segments all day. The vert lines set up for more vert lines, and the rails set up for...more straight, boring rails.

Los Angeles is a massive disappointment, given how much the city means to skateboarding. None of the iconic spots flow into anything significant. Wasted opportunity.

Obviously, the gameplay is a lot smoother in 3, which is the only way I can fathom people voting for it.

THPS2 has some of the most iconic levels of the series that fit the somewhat stiff gameplay well. But, dang, having no revert is rough.

Neither game comes close to the flow of the levels in THPS4 - which is the peak of pure THPS gameplay.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
THPS3 was the first of the series that I actually owned (I played the first two at friends' houses), but I respect the hell out of 2...plus Spiderman. That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that in 3 it's much easier to chain tricks than the others.