• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whats the better game?

• Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2... Lights out! Guerrilla Radio!

Votes: 888 52.2%
  • Tony hawk Pro Skater 3... Revert changed EVERYTHING!

Votes: 787 46.3%
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skate r 5 /s lol jk

Votes: 25 1.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
3 of the 2 but I felt four was the peak. Still the same general setup of the first 3 compared to what came after, but by making it free roam you could learn and dominate the level in a way the 2:00 clock hampered. Especially with all goals finished but if you were going for all the gaps and stuff.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I think THPS2 is an outstanding game.

But THPS3 is better and it's not even close.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Unless "Superman" by Goldfinger is playing in the background I can't play a skateboarding game. I had it on CD and played that shit on loop for my entire play through of Underground (For some strange reason my favourite as a young teen).

Oh and er... 2!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Pro Skater 3 was my first Tony Hawk game and I loved every minute of it so of course I'm going with THPS3!

Underground is my favorite tho.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
3 was the first one I played a lot of, so I'm more used to it than 2.
It always boggles my mind how much love 2 gets. Wasnt that a ps1 game for most of you? I mean ps1 game controls aged so badly. Did they get this right? Is it still really playable today?
The PS2 games didn't really control differently as the PS1 games, they just added more things you could do. The basic movements and doing tricks felt pretty similar.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one with Spider-Man (3 is a beast though, still can't believe they fucked up HD so bad, they blew it)

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
So I voted for 2.

But let me say this.

Tony hawk 1, 2 and 3 were, without a doubt, in my top favorite experiences in the early 3d days.

I remember playing with my buddies all day trying to top scores, and it played like nothing else at the time. Its a shame it all fell apart

Edit:. Bonus points for how good 2 was on the GBA....

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The true answer is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X, the Xbox exclusive version. Has the best visuals of any version and includes the entirety of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1. It's glorious.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
2 had that brilliant soundtrack. Every single song was sooo good that it pushed me into the whole rock/punk/metal scene. Plus the levels are more memorable but we're talking about games which both are near perfect skating games. They hold up well even to this day, so there can't be a debate about quality but personal preference and nostalgia.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I've just put the scale in favour for THPS 2. While Revert it's a goddamn game changer, THPS2 is the better package.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
2 for me. Gaming nirvana.

3 was where sequelitis set in with the distinct "I've played this all before" feeling. Dropped the franchise then and there.

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
2 has better levels, much better soundtrack, and Bob. But the lack of revert is a big knock against it these days.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its crazy how we all used to be obsessed with tony hawk skateboarding games of all things, and there were so many other games trying to imitate it at the time. and now its just gone. trends are fickle

Ibio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
3. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned my reason for picking it, online.

It supported 3rd party USB ethernet adapters before the PS2 network adapter was even available (at least in the UK). First online console game I ever played, absolutely loved it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of thosenhave Superman or Imaginary Places. They can't call themselves skating games.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Your loss, I mean maybe it would have been worth not instantly writing them off for no reason???? Especially since 3 4 and THUG are all better than 2.
Nah I'm good. I don't need to play the same thing over and over. It doesn't matter how much "better" they are. The novelty was gone.

Edit: I wonder how much of it is because I played 2 on Dreamcast. For me, the 'next gen' leap to 3 was microscopic compared to most who played 2 on N64 or PS1.

Last edited:

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but I can't participate in a fav THPS comparison debate without choosing THUG. Even if it's not an option.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The revert & the weird speed increase in 3 ruined the series for me. 2 is the pinnacle.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I originally voted for 2, but looking at the level list, I have more memories of 3 than 2. 3 was the first one on new generation consoles at the time, and not having much to play on the GameCube since it was a launch title, meant that I played THPS3 a lot.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
2X on the xbox was where it's at. All of the levels from Tony hawk one and two as well as some bonus levels. I played the hell out of that game as a teenager.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This thread got me thinking, what's everyone's favorite handheld Tony Hawk game? All I have is American Sk8land on the DS and THUG 2 on the PSP.
Oh, and I had Tony Hawk 1 for the N-Gage. That was probably my most played game for the thing.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
25OGVOw.png

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I never played these games, but the results of the polls....They're literally a 50/50 split, jfc.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
THPS2 will always be my favourite and personally i enjoyed THUG more than THPS3

man we really need a real thps2 remake. screw metal gear and demon souls, blue point needs to do tony hawk

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
THPS2 had the best soundtrack, levels, and guest character.

Reverts are nice and all but they didn't change the game nearly as much as manuals did. I'll take skating around School II as Spider-Man listening to You by Bad Religion over the ability to revert.

The PS2 version of THPS3 gets brownie points for having The Boy Who Destroyed The World by AFI on its soundtrack though!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It still bums me out how this series died and there hasn't been any game that even attempts to do the same thing well on modern consoles