• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best sonic CD intro song

• Sonic BOOM!

Votes: 249 68.6%
  • Toot Toot Sonic Warrior

Votes: 114 31.4%

• Total voters

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
This is like choosing a favourite son.

But I have to go with Sonic Boom, I remember it synching so well in the opening when Sonic spindashes through a falling bolder.

It also got an over-the-top official remix in the 20th anniversary OST, while You Can Do Anything didn't.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange-- if you didn't tell me back in the days, I would've thought boom was made by Japan, and toot toot was made by the west (USA). At the time, USA was all about hip hop/rap and video games.

My vote goes to boom. And this is one of the rare cases where the western version is patently better than the eastern version. Landslide. It's not even close. Yu yu hakusho's western version of the op theme is also better as well.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's only one choice: the JPN/EU intro song.

In fact, the JPN/EU soundtrack as a whole is better.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Sonic Boom is a proper jam. Easily my favourite. The JP/EU version is not bad, but the opening nursery rhyme set up is pretty bad. Decent chorus though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I played the hell out of Sonic CD in America on PC and somehow am super familiar with the Toot Toot song. I've also heard Sonic Boom plenty of times. But I'm confused as to how I know both so well. I also had Sonic Jam on Saturn and despite CD not being part of that collection maybe there was a video with the song as a bonus? There were a bunch of Japanese commercials I remember watching within the game too. It's just weird I know both of these songs really well.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Like some... to me it's "less bad". I intrinsically don't like them because they don't connect with the animation on screen and that's a sin to me.
Sonic Boom it is then, by a loooooooooooot, i don't like rap segments in songs, you can imagine how teeth grinding the other is to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic boom is super bad. Like, no energy or anything. Toot toot may be corny, but at least hypes you up and at least the music follows the rhythm of what's happening on the screen.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is basically the video game version of Faulconer vs. Japanese DBZ soundtrack.

And in both cases, of course, the US version is vastly superior.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Sonic Boom wins by a slight margin.

But it's the only track that improves its counterpart from the original soundtrack (JP/EUR).

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The better song... no, the better OST will be decided by which track is on the same OST as the good "Stardust Speedway Bad Future" track.

Shit, they're both good? Guess it's a tie, folks.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen such a wrong poll in my entire life.

Also, Cosmic Eternity is better than both.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Blimey, surprised at the landslide!

I adore both and heard Sonic Boom way sooner since I first played the early PC version, but Toot Toot has such exuberent energy and beautiful beautiful Engrish :')

Kind of goes for the whole soundtracks in general, I think both are great but I've come to prefer the Japanese one over time. I love that the remaster gives you the option for both! And a much necessary mod is available to put the lyrics back in on Japanese openings+closings

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god what the hell are these poll results?
Sonic- You Can Do Anything is incredible, it's a vocal versio of the best song from one of the best sonic games.

Cosmic Eternity is the GOAT Sonic vocal song though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, it's an intro song of a Sonic game on CD, it fills the requirements!

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
There's a version of Sonic Boom (US) that isn't so "rock". Same song, but less loud guitars. A more soothing version.

Anybody got that?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The EU PC version of Sonic CD also had Sonic Boom as the opening btw.

I think Sonic Boom is the better song and it works better with the animation as well.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
An argument can be had over the intro...

But the US Outro is so insanely superior it's almost a joke.

The Japanese Outro is terrible, it's crazy how bad it is.

There's a version of Sonic Boom (US) that isn't so "rock". Same song, but less loud guitars. A more soothing version.

Anybody got that?

That's the US Outro above. It slaps.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Lies make baby Jesus cry 😂

Serious, I loved the EU / Japanese outro as an 11 year old and I love it as a 37 year old

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

That's the US Outro above. It slaps.

The Japanese one is better, the different singers make it sound more chaotic. It suits the game more because little planet is one of the most unhinged settings in the series. 'Sonic Boom' would suit one of the mega drive games better but the Japanese soundtrack captures this game better.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I think we should change the terminology and stop talking about the "Japanese" soundtrack.

We should be talking about the original soundtrack (and the US soundtrack). The original soundtrack was composed within the same team that did the concept of the game, the character designs, the graphics, etc.

If we respect videogames as a medium we should despise a company altering a whole creation by substituting one of its parts (the easiest one to do, because it was simple redbook audio), in a couple of weeks, by a single person isolated from the original team. Regardless of how much we like or not the end results.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should change the terminology and stop talking about the "Japanese" soundtrack.

We should be talking about the original soundtrack (and the US soundtrack). The original soundtrack was composed within the same team that did the concept of the game, the character designs, the graphics, etc.

If we respect videogames as a medium we should despise a company altering a whole creation by substituting one of its parts (the easiest one to do, because it was simple redbook audio), in a couple of weeks, by a single person isolated from the original team. Regardless of how much we like or not the end results.

if we respect video games as a medium, we understand they are products of design and part of what goes into design can be artistic elements. and it really doesn't matter what a 'creator did', but that the correct art is chosen to solve the problem.

sonic boom's a lot better. no opinion on the japanese soundtrack or the us soundtrack.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
if we respect video games as a medium, we understand they are products of design and part of what goes into design can be artistic elements. and it really doesn't matter what a 'creator did', but that the correct art is chosen to solve the problem.

sonic boom's a lot better. no opinion on the japanese soundtrack or the us soundtrack.

Mmm, how exactly can we say if a piece of art is "correct" or not? How could an art creation have an objective "problem"? I think those are totally subjective.

But what is not subjective is altering an original finished creation. They could have made their own version (there are plenty of art creations that consist of mixing parts of existing words), but Sega of America altered one part of a product and sold it as if it was the same.

(And I've voted for Sonic Boom in the poll...)

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, how exactly can we say if a piece of art is "correct" or not? How could an art creation have an objective "problem"? I think those are totally subjective.

But what is not subjective is altering an original finished creation. They could have made their own version (there are plenty of art creations that consist of mixing parts of existing words), but Sega of America altered one part of a product and sold it as if it was the same.

(And I've voted for Sonic Boom in the poll...)

well that's something designers do. they use art to make the whole work on a functional level. i think what people may consider good music or a good story is subjective but the type of music or the type of story can be really off-putting if it doesn't fit the general work of the design.

it's a stretch to suggest this was some kind of nefarious deed. they wanted a better product for their region and they put in the work they thought would make that happen. how many kids in 1992 were anticipating the music of the japanese or european sonic cd they would have had to have imported? sega sold a product to consumers and then they bought it. it wasn't some weird bait and switch.

the argument reminds me of comments regarding '''''''censorship''''''' so pardon if i'm taking this more seriously than i should.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Except a few exceptions like Stardust Speedway, the US soundtrack in general is so much more superior compared to the JP/EU version, it's not funny. Soni

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Sonic Boom always put me to sleep, and it's a downer kind of beat.

Toot Toot is so energetic and epic. The only thing that isn't good is the corny 80s like "rap".

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Toot Toot is glorious and I think it really hits the feeling and energy they were going for with 90s Sonic.

Sonic Boom is also great and a worthy Sonic song, but I still prefer Toot Toot.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
well that's something designers do. they use art to make the whole work on a functional level. i think what people may consider good music or a good story is subjective but the type of music or the type of story can be really off-putting if it doesn't fit the general work of the design.

it's a stretch to suggest this was some kind of nefarious deed. they wanted a better product for their region and they put in the work they thought would make that happen. how many kids in 1992 were anticipating the music of the japanese or european sonic cd they would have had to have imported? sega sold a product to consumers and then they bought it. it wasn't some weird bait and switch.

the argument reminds me of comments regarding '''''''censorship''''''' so pardon if i'm taking this more seriously than i should.

There's nothing to pardon. I also want to take this to serious territory (and I'm grateful for us being able to handle it in a civil way). Although I don't know which are those "censorship" comments that you refer to.

From your response I'd say you see videogames more as a functional product than an art creation. You see its art contents as tools for a functional design. It's respectable but I don't share it. And I also think it's too subjective, because what is that function exactly?

I accept such reasoning about things like, for example, brand logotypes, because the intended functionality is much clearer there. I can affirm the Apple logo works better than the Starbucks logo because it's demonstrated that more people is able to remember its shape (as it's simpler and relates to a known object in the real world), and it's more versatile to reproduce in mediums of all sizes, resolutions and color depths. And that's independent of how we like them aesthetically or as "art" creations.

But what are those objectives for a videogame? Transmit "feelings"? Tell a story? Be "fun"? Those are really subjective. I surely get a clearer message and a more exciting experience with the original soundtrack of Sonic CD, and other people do with the US one, but all of that is subjective.

The only objective function I can think of for a videogame is sales numbers. I understand Sega might have thought a Sonic CD with a different soundtrack more akin to the US trends of that time could sell more, and that's well intented from their point of view of an industry that seeks benefit. But what I defend is that we, as videogame enthusiasts that I think appreciate the medium rather than being shareholders wanting to maximize profits, shouldn't let that pass, and instead should pressure companies to respect the original works of creators.

In other words, I would respect the US soundtrack of Sonic CD much more if it had been commanded and made by the original team. And even more if Sega had enabled some way to get the original product as well (although I understand that's much easier now than then).