• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer the original synthetic version or the new orchestrated version?

• Original Synthetic

Votes: 486 34.9%
  • New Orchestrated

Votes: 908 65.1%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The biggest question for me is whether they're going to be able to withold One Winged Angel until the end of the game (like it was in FF7) or if, since that's the most iconic track from the original game (and arguably any FF game) will they try to shoehorn that into this first game.

The opening literally starts with OWA chants, haha

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand not liking it if they fuck up the instrumentation if this were like just a remaster or something; that's why I don't like the "remastered" soundtrack for FFX and XII. But with this being a full remake and a lot of other aspects of the game already changed dramatically, I feel like musical changes like this make sense.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Orchestrated "cinematic" soundtracks for movies and games is a weird 21st century thing that I just haven't been able to get behind. Let's get some variety in sound back.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
putting aside nostalgia, i feel like they would orchestrate it from the beginning if they could.

Oct 27, 2017
Same I prefer the original. I think the melodies get lost in the orchestrated versions. I felt the same way about Smash and a bunch of other somewhat recent Nintendo games.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Much prefer the orchestrated versions I've heard so far.

The instrumentations for the majority of FFVII's original soundtrack are... not good and while the melodies there are more prominent, I think there'd be strong tonal whiplash with the style of game they're making here.

I would say that a bit of variety of real instruments wouldn't go amiss. More synth though, nah I'm good.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I get that people want every RPG to be Persona 5 when it comes to score, and that's fine. But I'm not about to sit here and tell Nobuo Uematsu what it takes to make a good video game soundtrack/score.

The biggest question for me is whether they're going to be able to withold One Winged Angel until the end of the game (like it was in FF7) or if, since that's the most iconic track from the original game (and arguably any FF game) will they try to shoehorn that into this first game.

Nobody has said they've messed it up and the debate is whether people prefer the original synth soundtrack to an orchestral version. But sure, bring in some totally unnecessary hyperbole. Why not?
It'd be nice if they mixed things up, you know? Make it both synth and orchestra. It'd sound unique and iconic.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The mix feels like the issue to me based on the songs I've heard. It's the same exact problem with DMC5, the music loses its identity in a lot of the in-game cacophony. Having better instrumentation would solve the issue, but fixing the mix could alleviate how boilerplate it feels right now.

I generally agree with the broad strokes of the topic, abundance in orchestration is an easy way to lose flavor and Final Fantasy in particular has such a notorious reputation for being this "epic series" despite humbler beginnings that it seemed a bit of a groan-worthy given so much of it would lean to an orchestrated approach. I feel like if you're going to use an orchestra it should be sparingly in moments when it really matters; this is something I hold Astral Chain up for doing extremely well last year and the composers had a dev log where they talked about the importance of maintaining a unique sound palette (and how even in the orchestral arrangements they regularly combined other genre influences). That was something I do feel FFVII was really distinct in, upon retrospect, and I do feel Remake misses the mark in a few areas in breaking expectations and going for something that actually breathes new life in the original arrangements.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't at all agree with the music being "over" orchestrated. The music is amazing.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the original, but I think the orchestrated version is great as well.

Mako Reactor is the worst offender when it comes to the new soundtrack. The original is just soooo good and moody.

Fizzlefry9

Apr 23, 2018
They should have known how iconic the OST is and left is pretty much alone except modernizing it a little bit with updated synths and midi tracks. Shame

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how this would work because the music is dynamic with what is happening... It's not as easy to do it like it was with final fantasy x remaster or Spyro reignited. I really don't believe it can be done.

just have the track restart from the beginning every time a new segment is supposed to play i heard ff7 fans like tracks restarting

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
100% agree that they're overdoing it by making *every* arranged for live orchestra. Mako Reactor in particular completely loses important aspects of the atmosphere and aesthetic of the original track.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
They should have taken queues from FF XIV and integrated different musical styles.

Jun 5, 2018
I like both but a big reason i was hyped for ff7 remake is because of the soundtrack and I'd be lying if i said i got the same atmosphere from this version. I think an option to replace the soundtrack with the old one would of been a good design decision but with how music is handled here it wouldn't so simple as changing it one for one.

if nothing else it means the original will always have a place out there and I don't think it's the be all end all.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I love what they've done with the orchestration, but I think they missed the mark by making it entirely that. Part of the reason for the synthy sounds in the original was technical limitations, but some of the songs lose a bit of sinisterness or edge by taking out any sort of synthy noises. The orchestral stuff sounds fantastic; I don't think it's as simple as solely "make it orchestrated" or "leave it as it was," but I think there's a middle ground they missed a bit.

Good thing the OG game is already on ps4 ready for you at any time

idk man I think we can talk about things that disappointed us instead of being blindly optimistic or solely pessimistic/bashing

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
It's a less is more situation but this game sort of seems like the height of opulence. It's as if whoever was in charge of the arrangement didn't really care.for the original intent as far as mood.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the soundtrack more closely I'm really enjoying how dynamic the soundtrack is.

But I still would have appreciated the use of synths and percussion to keep some of the industrial atmosphere prominent. One of the things I hate in orchestrated versions of the Those Who Fight is them replacing the "whistling" with strings instead of a prominent flute. Thats the stuff I'm worried about in the soundtrack.

J.E.N.O.V.A won't have the same effect if its missing the weird spacey synth alluding to her origins. I can already see them replacing that with violin.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Now why would I do that? Why would you do that? I don't want to spoil myself the experience.
How could you spoil listening to music by listening to music? I like the music and what I heard was a lot more varied but some seemed to be from the
jukebox in the bar from previous games

Spoilers have a minor effect on experience anyway. The opinions in this thread are based on a very, very limited sample of the tracks in the game.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact Distant Worlds is a thing tells me they would have definitely been orchestrated in the original if space wasnt an issue

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
The fact Distant Worlds is a thing tells me they would have definitely been orchestrated in the original if space wasnt an issue
I mean, they had access to orchestral-style sound sampling at the time. It's how we got One Winged Angel.

The synthetic bent to the music for most of the game was more of a stylistic choice than a technical one, even within the limitations of the sound library at the time

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
That difference in instrumentation is one of the things that made One Winged Angel stand out at the time, actually:

Unlike many of the songs in the game (and almost all the ones that are points of contention in this discussion), the sampling used for the original One Winged Angel was meant to evoke the sound of an orchestra, which is aided by the use of actual vocals!

So when you get something like the Distant Worlds rendition of the song:

It's like, "Wow! This is how the song was meant to be heard!"

Because in the case of One Winged Angel, that's probably true! It's basically written for orchestra.

But that's in contrast to the rest of the soundtrack, rather than in keeping with it. That contrast is part of what makes OWA so effective! Heavier orchestration throughout the OST takes away from that contrast, and as a consequence the identity of the whole soundtrack.

Again: This isn't inherently bad. But it is quite different, and it's worth reflecting on, and it's why some (myself included) would have preferred heavier synth leanings for most of the new instrumentations

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The most amusing/ridiculous part of this entire thread is people judging the entirety of FF7R's soundtrack by literally a handful of tracks they can hear throughout the demo.
How could you spoil listening to music by listening to music? I like the music and what I heard was a lot more varied but some seemed to be from the
jukebox in the bar from previous games

Spoilers have a minor effect on experience anyway. The opinions in this thread are based on a very, very limited sample of the tracks in the game.
Yeah the leaked "jukebox" music mined from the demo has some really good and inventive stuff, including chiptune music. Probably will never play in the game proper though.
I mean, they had access to orchestral-style sound sampling at the time. It's how we got One Winged Angel.

The synthetic bent to the music for most of the game was more of a stylistic choice than a technical one, even within the limitations of the sound library at the time
It's a combination of technical limitations and subpar sound engineering. The instruments in OWA sound just as awful as anything else in the game. It literally uses the same sound bank.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
If you've read the OP, you'd see that I never said such a thing, I'm just saying I'd rather have the music synthesized than orchestrated for some tracks. I've even said I'll probably adapt and love the new versions over time.
People need to learn to read, seriously.

Hi I've read the OP. You're using the original tracks as a frame of reference for what specific instruments should be heard in the remake songs. I am saying that is a mistake. You are free to disagree, of course.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
What? I'm passionate about classical music. This ain't it just because it happens to use the same instruments. It's a bunch of obvious, mediocre orchestral arrangements for music that was never intended for that setup. It does sound generic, same-y and bloated, and it's not necessarily because they're using an orchestra, it's because of how they're overusing it without the desirable nuance or imagination. They just applied a YouTube cover mentality with a big budget to what was a unique work and an accomplished exercise in eclecticism.
If you're a fan of classical music then I really wasn't aiming the post at you, it was more at people dismissing orchestral music outright.

I appreciate the more nuanced response, but I get the exact opposite impressions as you when I listen to the soundtrack. I'd like to give more concrete examples but I think I'll just leave it be as a difference of opinion.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over orchestrated? Is that a thing? Show us how they should do it.

Nostalgia aside, the OG OST is fine but nothing to be amaze of.
more of a focus on lead melodies would be nice. there are ways to orchestrate something and not make it an unwieldy, nondescript blob. It comes down to the arrangement and the mix. think more early john williams and modern michael giacchino and less (insert generic modern film composer whose work you will never remember here).

the pieces should've used synth sounds where synth sounds were intended, and strings when strings were intended, etc IMO. Not just strings for everything.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
more of a focus on lead melodies would be nice. there are ways to orchestrate something and not make it an unwieldy, nondescript blob. It comes down to the arrangement and the mix. think more early john williams and modern michael giacchino and less (insert generic modern film composer whose work you will never remember here).

the pieces should've used synth sounds where synth sounds were intended, and strings when strings were intended, etc IMO. Not just strings for everything.
This is where I'm at. There are high quality synths that are used in music nowadays and they could've been used in the OST. You can have both. That's why I'm saying it's over orchestrated. It's using orchestra where it's not meant to be used.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Must suck, I can't relate. Never played the original. I quite like the demo and the music.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, maybe? The Black Mages were started before Distant Worlds does, so I don't think that argument makes complete sense. I definitely think a lot of the game's tracks would have been orchestrated if that was possible back then, but when we talk about synths, we don't just mean synthetic piano and strings, but the beeps and boops and such too. For instance, the Mako Reactor theme: it uses digitized chimes and timpani, but the melody itself is a strange, high-pitched buzzy-sounding tone. Similarly, J-E-N-O-V-A's repeated descending pattern doesn't sound like digitized instruments to me; it reminds me more of the sort of sound effects you get in the "space sounds" area of an electric keyboard, while the main melody itself sounds much more like digitized strings and the triumphant bit before the descending pattern comes back is clearly a brass instrument.

I don't think the orchestration is so bad that the music loses its identity, myself. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the arrangements are really cool, but some of the songs do end up with a bit of a different vibe than the originals. I think we can appreciate the orchestral versions while wanting a bit more synth without it being "this sucks." Like, we've only heard some of the songs, so obviously we're not getting a well-rounded look, but I think it's worth discussing!

Hi I've read the OP. You're using the original tracks as a frame of reference for what specific instruments should be heard in the remake songs. I am saying that is a mistake. You are free to disagree, of course.

Well, yeah. There are always going to be people who don't like any sort of change from their view of something... but it also kind of silences discussion to say things like this. Hell, I don't even think OP thinks that the instruments need to be the exact same things at the exact same tempos; it's just that some instruments (including synths) evoke vastly different vibes and moods than others. Taking a trumpet part and using a trombone or tuba will make it differ, sure, but it'll be a lot closer than trying to get an oboe section to do it. It's not about converting the game precisely 1:1 (and I think quite a few gamers understand that since Square has been up front with this not being an exact recreation... or at least, I hope so), but the specific choices not quite aligning with the original music.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, maybe? The Black Mages were started before Distant Worlds does, so I don't think that argument makes complete sense. I definitely think a lot of the game's tracks would have been orchestrated if that was possible back then, but when we talk about synths, we don't just mean synthetic piano and strings, but the beeps and boops and such too. For instance, the Mako Reactor theme: it uses digitized chimes and timpani, but the melody itself is a strange, high-pitched buzzy-sounding tone. Similarly, J-E-N-O-V-A's repeated descending pattern doesn't sound like digitized instruments to me; it reminds me more of the sort of sound effects you get in the "space sounds" area of an electric keyboard, while the main melody itself sounds much more like digitized strings and the triumphant bit before the descending pattern comes back is clearly a brass instrument.

I don't think the orchestration is so bad that the music loses its identity, myself. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the arrangements are really cool, but some of the songs do end up with a bit of a different vibe than the originals. I think we can appreciate the orchestral versions while wanting a bit more synth without it being "this sucks." Like, we've only heard some of the songs, so obviously we're not getting a well-rounded look, but I think it's worth discussing!

Oh for sure elements like the descending arpeggios in Jenovas theme would likely still be synthesized sounds. I guess I mean a lot of what we hear in the demo feels like it would have been an orchestra were it an option on the table. But it also poses an interesting question. Would something like Jenova theme have even been made that way if orchestra were an option or was it a byproduct of working within the limitations.

Ofc that part of the theme has been orchestrated by distant worlds iirc and as you say black images did metal version too so that probably is more bending stuff to fit for the show. I guess to me bombing mission just sounded how I expected and the rest felt like a natural evolution.

I dunno if personally I'd say anything was lost from the feel yet as it's a little early. I'd need to hear more. But if I were to pick at anything I do think perhaps the reactor soundtrack could do with some adjustment. Bring the bells back for sure since theres no reason to remove them and maybe add a synth layer to the main melody. It should feel a little otherworldly and that one area was a little short of it. The rest I was fine with.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018

Can you post an example of a song from the demo that doesn't focus on the lead melodies?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I understand the point you guys are making but Mako Reactor is the worst example to use because the remake sounds incredible.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hm... I guess the examples were poorly chosen, since they don't support your point. Both are better in the remake.

Since it's the one and only time I can say it, let me say this shitty thing: You can always play the original.