• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I'm pretty much in your boat.

Obviously taste is subjective and all that. For me, I couldn't get past the camera being right up Kratos's butt to the point that they had to put arrows around him so you knew when you were about to get attacked from behind.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get any of the complaints about combat. You get quite a lot of freedom, multiple weapons, stance changes. You can pull of some pretty crazy juggles if you put your mind to it. Also throwing/retrieving that ax mid juggle will never get old.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...really?

the combat in those games didn't really get that good untill like bloodborne, like really?

Does that opinion bother you that much? Lmao. Not that there's any point in convincing you but I liked the combat since Demon Souls, it just got even better with Bloodborne.

Apollo87

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. It's the fist God of War game I didn't finish, just feel really boring.

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The sloggy camera /aiming system made me give up like an hour in. If it had gyro aiming I think it would be a pretty great game.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if The Stranger bossfight didn't pull you in, it's unlikely anything in the game will. You gave it a chance, just move on.
Well the issue with the stranger bossfight is that it's the highlight of the game, 30 mins in.

Don't worry OP, I felt the same as you. I actually watched a let's play last year to at least see the story, and it made me glad to not have played it. While I get why people loved it, it just had too much stuff that I personnaly don't like in it.

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Yeah, if The Stranger bossfight didn't pull you in, it's unlikely anything in the game will. You gave it a chance, just move on.
I disagree with people who keep saying this. The best thing about god of war 2018 is the great structure and combat and gameplay and dialog and writing, almost none of which is in the stranger boss fight. It's cool as a choreographed set piece but it's like the worst representation of what the game is really like

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I'll never get any of the complaints about combat. You get quite a lot of freedom, multiple weapons, stance changes. You can pull of some pretty crazy juggles if you put your mind to it. Also throwing/retrieving that ax mid juggle will never get old.
that's one thing I can praise the game for, at least. throwing and retrieving the axe feels great

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
The combat is great, but it opens up way too late in the game. By the time you're running through the challenge areas, you finally get a sense for how the combat should have felt all along.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It also bored me after a while and I did not finish it. I had a blast with the first three opus.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
User Warned: Thread Whining
Damn I forgot to make a thread whining about how I didn't like Control while pretty much everyone here had a blast with that game.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
There's too much menu bullshit. Upgrading this, unlocking that. It's mostly superficial to satisfy the 'look at my numbers increase' crew. I prefer it when I feel like I'm growing organically throughout the adventure rather than by upping numbers in a menu screen.
Yeah this. I'm same as OP and just didn't gel with it at all. Camera and movement felt weird and actually made me a bit motion sick too. Game just isn't for me. I tried on PS5 at 60fps for my first time. I think TLOU2 has actually ruined all other games for me. I just sit and drool at the thought of being able to play RDR2 or GTA5/6 with TLOU2 feeling controls and mechanics.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not for you. Move on. I couldn't stand RDR2 and that's fine.

As for GoW, I loved the game. Can't wait for the sequel.
1457975259-armwrestle.gif

I like the cut of your jib.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mostly liked it, especially the relationship between Kratos and Atreus, but ironically it's also the game that made me relate to people that can't play first person games.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Does that opinion bother you that much? Lmao. Not that there's any point in convincing you but I liked the combat since Demon Souls, it just got even better with Bloodborne.
It doesn't bother me, i'm just confused. I found the combat kinda...basic I guess? Untill blood borne, ds3 sekiro and all that. Which is much different combat than demon souls ds1 and 2.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Can I just say posts like "it's not for you and that's okay" and variations of it are incredibly dismissive and patronizing

Let people talk about why they don't like a video game damn
It's ok, I get that people are probably just upset.

This is me when people insult Final Fantasy VII Remake or some of my other favorite FF's:

dTcAHZc.jpg

I'm glad other people enjoy the game though. I LOVE Norse mythology and the dialogue is so good, and there's a lot of interesting aspects of the game. It's a shame that the game isn't to my liking.

I haven't totally given up on it yet, and I can see myself finishing it, but it might take a while for that to happen. Maybe I'll just have to skip the Nornir chests or something

Though yeah, the passive aggressive replies of people all saying the exact same thing is a little annoying lol

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty much in your boat.

Obviously taste is subjective and all that. For me, I couldn't get past the camera being right up Kratos's butt to the point that they had to put arrows around him so you knew when you were about to get attacked from behind.

Yeah I really don't like the camera in this game. It even makes climbing annoying because you have to search around to see the button prompt

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
I agree and I forced myself to finish it anyway. I still didn't like it at the end of the game.

If you're used to Souls combat, GoW combat really feels sluggish. They were trying too hard to make it a "cinematic experience".

The enemy difficulty is all wrong. It's either a bunch of weak dudes who present no challenge whatsoever. Or a few fat dudes, who just have a bunch of HP and almost 1 shot you, requiring patience, not skill to beat. And the bosses are mostly gimmicks, "press X now to kill the dragon" and so on. And I say that having killed the final Valkyirie, who I'd place squarely in the low skill, high patience required bracket.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Stranger boss fight seriously the highlight of the game?

I dunno, personally I thought the reveal of Jormungander was cooler and more awe-inspiring.

I didn't enjoy the boss fight at all. At least on Normal difficulty it felt like I was doing chip damage. 1 phase alone felt like it took forever and you had to do the exact same thing 2 more times.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The Stranger boss fight, narratively, was what sort of hooked me in to want to see the rest of the story through. I thought it was incredibly effective from that standpoint.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I really don't like the camera in this game. It even makes climbing annoying because you have to search around to see the button prompt

Camera and climbing are my 2 biggest gripes. The fact that Kratos cannot simply jump down/let go, but needs to slowly work his way down every single time is mind-boggling, and I always dreaded those segments.

Overall though, I did love the game.

Yes.

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021

I dunno, personally I thought the reveal of Jormungander was cooler and more awe-inspiring.

I didn't enjoy the boss fight at all. At least on Normal difficulty it felt like I was doing chip damage. 1 phase alone felt like it took forever and you had to do the exact same thing 2 more times.
Imo it's not even the best boss fight in the game let alone the overall highlight

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
lets just say the combat feels A LOT better at 60 fps. Even on the ps4 pro, despite the unstable framerate, the responsiveness of the combat improves massively. I didn't really enjoy the game at 30 fps, tried the uncapped mode and there was no turning back.

The crunchiness of the combat and audiovisual experience kept me playing til the end, and overall I enjoyed the game thanks to those.

But i feel like the sequel has massive room for improvement. I hope they make the world feel bigger, open up the level design a bit, some realms are literally just singular corridors and the game doesn't really feel like a grand adventure despite the plot; every distance is short and loops back to the main hub, it's just weird.

The rpg elements were at complete odds with the game wanting to be as immersive as possible, even removing loading screens and making the hud as minimalistic as possible and keeping the camera close at all times, and commiting to a one continous take style.. and yet, thanks to the rpg stuff you'll be opening menus constantly anyway.

and the leveled enemies are just silly, you are the god of war, a draugr shouldnt be able to take you down in a few hits just because they are higher level.

The fight itself is like 5-6 minutes. It's a highly cinematic fight that really plays to the games' strenghts. I did not enjoy any of the other fights as much as that one.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The Stranger boss fight, narratively, was what sort of hooked me in to want to see the rest of the story through. I thought it was incredibly effective from that standpoint.

I do want to see Baldur's ass beat, for sure

But the plot for right now is kind of meandering

And unless I missed the explanation I have no idea why we're supposed to carry Frey's ashes to the summit of a mountain aside from her wishing that

Coothman

Oct 28, 2017
When this happens to me and I can't get passed a certain gameplay element but am interested in the story, I youtube it.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
Not for you. Move on. I couldn't stand RDR2 and that's fine.

As for GoW, I loved the game. Can't wait for the sequel.
This is me to a T. Couldn't get enough of GoW, but I bounced off of RDR2 pretty hard.

Both games have very high production values but people either love them or hate them.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
It's definitely not a button masher like the previous games in the series. Combat is slow and deliberate. It has more in common with dark souls than previous God of Wars. The combat really shines with the Valkyrie fights. Queen Valkyrie is one of the my favorite boss fights in all games. Just look at the way the fight starts.

wyd8upbasc6sl2bczilh.gif

Once you get her moveset down and learn how to knock her out of the air she becomes beatable. The combat was really good IMO. If you aren't feeling though and the first fight scene did do it for you its probably safe to put down. You're probably not going to like the rest.

PSbigfan

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I like everything have you said, and I must add.
7.the story it's very "normal" comparing to God Of War Trilogy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me, i'm just confused. I found the combat kinda...basic I guess? Untill blood borne, ds3 sekiro and all that. Which is much different combat than demon souls ds1 and 2.

It's basic but the stamina management puts a lot of other franchises to shame that try doing something similar imo. Collision on terrain changes up fight scenarios, and it has as a diverse range of weapons with their own attributes and animations which makes it fun. And then there's the parry system, which has proven to be a lot more difficult than a lot of other games I've played aside from maybe For Honor (which I also think is a more engaging combat loop than other melee based games)

So yeah, while it is simple I can't name any other game that demands as much from the player when it comes to fighting. You don't get to where you are as a studio with mediocre combat.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I agree and I forced myself to finish it anyway. I still didn't like it at the end of the game.

If you're used to Souls combat, GoW combat really feels sluggish. They were trying too hard to make it a "cinematic experience".

The enemy difficulty is all wrong. It's either a bunch of weak dudes who present no challenge whatsoever. Or a few fat dudes, who just have a bunch of HP and almost 1 shot you, requiring patience, not skill to beat. And the bosses are mostly gimmicks, "press X now to kill the dragon" and so on. And I say that having killed the final Valkyirie, who I'd place squarely in the low skill, high patience required bracket.
Kinda how I feel too. About half way in I felt every fight was a chore. I stopped hunting valkyries because the fights were such when I beat one it didn't seem like I was doing anything different than when I died. I played on hard only.
GoW 3 is my highlight and prob my top game on PS3.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
You don't get to where you are as a studio with mediocre combat.
I can name multiple series where that isn't exactly true, and I believe the strength of dark souls is in its game and level design first and its combat cought up. But its interesting to see your take. Do you prefer earlier soulsborne games to later?

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020

That boss fight couldn't have felt less satisfying. You basically do a bunch of the standard 3-hit combos until his health bar expires, and that's it. Plus, your hits do such little damage, so it takes way too long. If not for the small scenes spliced in here and there that would be the worst boss in any game that I can think of.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to see Baldur's ass beat, for sure

But the plot for right now is kind of meandering

And unless I missed the explanation I have no idea why we're supposed to carry Frey's ashes to the summit of a mountain aside from her wishing that
No that's pretty much it. You learn some details about her and why she wants it but you're honoring her last wishes

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I made a thread the other day but that was more for the questions I have

I recently got out of Alfheim so I'm probably only like 20% through the game but man I am NOT enjoying it

1. Combat is stiff. There's no flow to any of the attacks or movements or anything. Moving the camera to spot the annoying and fast flying enemies is a chore.

2. The exploration is not fun. I can't tell what I can interact with and what I can't. The camera makes it even worse and more confusing.

3. I feel like I've already had to help Atreus climb up and let a chain down like 20 times already. How many times?? I'm sick of it.

4. I'm already sick of the vine and Nornir chests. I skipped the last Nornir chest I encountered. I just lost my patience.

5. RPG elements are half-assed, seems to be a common complaint.

6. I don't like how there's SO many collectibles to the point where it feels like a platformer. Bits of lore, all those junk collections, 3 of this for health 3 of that for rage meter, 52 Odin Birds, etc.

Now, don't get me wrong, the game isn't bad. But I think it's incredibly boring, at least so far.
Not a fan of the setting so held off playing for that reason. Since I got a PS5 and it was free in the PS Plus Collection I gave it a go.

Feel the exact same way - dropped it after Alfheim and it will be tough to go back, really. Which is a shame, not like it's a long game but it has already lost me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can name multiple series where that isn't exactly true, and I believe the strength of dark souls is in its game and level design first and its combat cought up. But its interesting to see your take. Do you prefer earlier soulsborne games to later?

Series such as what? And no. I think DS3 is the best combat in a Souls game with Sekiro being the best one from FS. But I don't think the combat was boring, lackluster or whatever your issue is with it when the series started getting popular. There's nothing wrong with it being simple. Lol.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
My trick to enjoying that game was avoiding melee as much as possible and playing it like a weird, slow shooter.
Axe throws are the only truly enjoyable action, it's also the only action that isn't made worse by the claustrophobic camera, so I just kept on throwin'.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I definitely felt similar after the first few hours, did almost quit even. I feel many problems this game has get magnified if you play it on the harder difficulties. The encounters in the beginning were just not fun and cheap as hell. The point where the game misplaced a checkpoint for me that meant I had to run 3 minutes to get back where I was after dying over and over again (9-10 times) were almost it for me.

Did eventually push through and did everything in the game, so it did something right. But still - the enemy variety was poor, you fight that stupid troll over and over again on the mainpath, bosses were mostly disappointing. I liked the stranger bossfight and think it was the most memorable, just for the cool camerawork. And the Valkyrie fights as the mechanical highpoint.

And oh my god. I do not want to see this absurd amount of hidden loading screens ever again in videogames. The game will age like milk just because of that. Classic loadingscreens interrupt more but they will at least disappear on more modern hardware. But God of War? A big chunk of the game is waiting for all the traversal animations to play out. 100%ing this game was somewhat masochistic.

I still really liked the game.. one of these titles where I'm really conflicted what to think about it.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I felt similarly. This is one of those games that's clearly competent, really well made in most ways. But it just didn't hit my personal preferences very well. I didn't get much out of the open world, the combat didn't hit that abstract feeling of being really fun that I can't even explain (it's similar to games I love!), and the story didn't really hit me all that much. It was a very odd feeling playing it. I just couldn't get excited about it. Checked all the boxes without hitting me emotionally, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
...and I believe the strength of dark souls is in its game and level design first and its combat cought up. But its interesting to see your take. Do you prefer earlier soulsborne games to later?
I agree in that I prefer the level design and atmosphere of the Souls games first, but I think the combat always stood out, even in the early entries. It's not that it's deep or that there's a lot of systems to learn, but it felt weighty, precise and consequential. You had to commit to attacks and see them through, plus the majority of combat encounters felt meaningful. I feel like that stood out at the time of Demon's and DS1s release.

I also prefer the first two soulsborne releases to many of the sequels.

berts08

Jul 27, 2020
As others have mentioned it's ok to not enjoy a game, but I hugely disagree with you and this game was my PS4 game of a generation :)

For me the combat felt great, the story was great, the gameplay was great and the graphics were great.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I was a fan of your threads since trails and Sekiro lol. Really entertaining reads and like how you express your points.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I got about halfway through a year ago and dropped it. I remember thinking that it was really good, just not like my world on fire. So I picked it up again recently and I liked it a lot more than I remembered.

There are a number of significant flaws. It's one of those games where the sequel has a ton of potential if it just brushes up the more obvious issues of the first game.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Series such as what? And no. I think DS3 is the best combat in a Souls game with Sekiro being the best one from FS. But I don't think the combat was boring, lackluster or whatever your issue is with it when the series started getting popular. There's nothing wrong with it being simple. Lol.
All muso games.

People don't play those for the best combat in the world. They play them because they are a fun time. Haven't even mentioned games where combat isn't the focus but it exists.

But someone else made a fantastic point where the core of the combat encounter itself are engaging I'd the combat wasn't until 3 games in. So I understand your point more

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Yeah. The game is seriously flawed imo. I'm not sure how it's a 10/10 game for so many people. I was bored within 2 hours.