• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
Combat in this game was really not fun for me. Played it long time ago but I think I had biggest problem with block/parry. It was weirdly unresponsive. Camera was annoying too. I gave up after 2 hours. It's real shame because presentation is top notch.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
1. Combat is stiff. There's no flow to any of the attacks or movements or anything. Moving the camera to spot the annoying and fast flying enemies is a chore.
Haha, stiff combat was my exact thought of the game before entering this thread. There is something annoyingly constraining about the over-the-shoulder perspective. It just works poorly for a game like this. It tries to mimic Souls combat but it just feels bad.

A major gripe for me was also Kratos moaning every time he swung his weapons. I get it, he's a tough guy. But it's fucking annoying to listen to.

Atreus was also one of the reasons I didn't finish the game. Annoying brat.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's interesting because I found the combat in GoW immensely satisfying - it felt physical to a degree that I rarely saw in any other game. On the other hand, I can't play Monster Hunter World because the combat feels off to me, and so many people praise that - that just shows how it's all relative.

Of course it isn't, my taste is objectively superior.

We're all different, have different tastes. I suggest you find something you enjoy more, OP, and don't worry about it.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Me neither.....I tried the first one on PS2 for anout 5 hours and i found it boring.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Why the sad face? It's ok not to like a popular thing. I didn't like it at all and I loved the original trilogy.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you OP and I'll say it doesn't change much so you may as well put it down. I do find the combat pretty good but the world design is boring, the loot and rpg system is just padding, and the exploration is slow and uninteresting. The lake hub is just bad.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I made a thread the other day but that was more for the questions I have

I recently got out of Alfheim so I'm probably only like 20% through the game but man I am NOT enjoying it

1. Combat is stiff. There's no flow to any of the attacks or movements or anything. Moving the camera to spot the annoying and fast flying enemies is a chore.

2. The exploration is not fun. I can't tell what I can interact with and what I can't. The camera makes it even worse and more confusing.

3. I feel like I've already had to help Atreus climb up and let a chain down like 20 times already. How many times?? I'm sick of it.

4. I'm already sick of the vine and Nornir chests. I skipped the last Nornir chest I encountered. I just lost my patience.

5. RPG elements are half-assed, seems to be a common complaint.

6. I don't like how there's SO many collectibles to the point where it feels like a platformer. Bits of lore, all those junk collections, 3 of this for health 3 of that for rage meter, 52 Odin Birds, etc.

Now, don't get me wrong, the game isn't bad. But I think it's incredibly boring, at least so far.

If a game's not fun for you ... stop playing it. Move on to the next title in your library and don't spend any more mental effort on it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm only a few hours in but the camera is my main complaint so far. It's not a deal killer but I really wish it were further back.
Yeah I played the game again for a couple of hours when the PS5 patch dropped, and while the low FOV didn't annoy me the first time I played it, it did feel kind of weird the second time around so hopefully they'll add a FOV slider or pull the camera back a bit by default.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Stop playing the game then, what's the point of these types of threads?

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't normally say things like this, but if the combat is stiff and doesn't flow, you're playing the game incorrectly.

Not liking it is fine, but the melee and the ability attacks flow effortlessly from one to the next and back again.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I need to give this game some attention soon. I played a bit past the stranger fight and wasn't really pulled in so I kind of bounced off of it and played some other stuff. But I think I'm judging the pacing by the other GOW games (which I loved) and that may not be fair to what this game set out to do. I didn't find anything particularly bad in what I've played so far (and the presentation is fantastic) so I think this thread convinced me to keep going and let the mechanics open up a bit more. For what it's worth I didn't intentionally drop it, I just organically drifted to other games.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah you should probably stop
Really doubt you'll change your mind

I loved the slower more deliberate combat and the smaller more dense environments to explore but totally get why someone wouldn't like those things

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Is this like when you didn't like Sekiro or KH3 and kept playing them and then changed your mind?

It's okay to just drop a game if it's not for you, you don't need anyone's permission but your own.

Lots of people didn't click with God of War for a lot of reasons, it's not a super uncommon opinion.

However, given those other experiences you've previously detailed, maybe dial back on the threads you're making about games you're less than a quarter into and waiting until you've either dropped the game and moved on or stuck with it and beaten it?

Oct 30, 2017
Some games just don't work for people. No biggie.

Personally I loved it. The combat sat in that perfect position of being challenging but not unfair and I was a big fan of the continuous shot.

laura-palmer

Mar 25, 2021
The interactions between Kratos and Atreus was what kept me going, but yeah I felt the same way too about the gameplay. It felt very dry and there isn't much enemy variety. Still love the game tho :X

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's fine not to like things. People love things which others hate and vice versa.

I'm a massive God of War fan and the PS4 game was actually my first in the franchise I had finished. Its story is one of the best in games for me and I adore the gameplay, world, characters...etc BUT I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea. I don't like Sports games like Fifa or Driving games like Forza because I play games for story first, gameplay second and graphics third. For me games like The Last of Us are the pinnacle of games for me. I know this isn't the case for the majority of people though and I have bounced off games with good stories because they just didn't hold my interest in other places but for me God of War on PS4 did everything I wanted, perfectly. But one persons perfection is another persons dog shit.

I'm also a big fan of games like Halo, Destiny, Gears of War...etc where story takes a backseat to most of their players but I love diving into those worlds lore and discovering more than the usual player would see or know. God of War has a lot of this for me and made me go back and play all the other games in the serious (I had played them previously but never finished) and then replaying God of War on PS4 after playing the PS2/PS3/PSP games really made me feel even more invested than I already was.

A lot of your other complaints OP are just things I didn't mind or didn't bother me - some I even enjoyed. Like I said, we're all different people and we can dislike somethings others like a lot. I'm not a huge fan of Hades because I found it fairly easy and unremarkable compared to Bastion, Transistor and Pyre - all games from the same developers I preferred. But I would never put down a Hades fan or say that the game they love isn't deserving of it just because I found it too easy and samey.

I'd recommend just dropping the game, at this point you've put a good amount of time in and you don't like it - which is fine. Call it quits and move on. If you had as many issues with a relationship as you do God of War, you would end that relationship because it wouldn't be working - so yeah, uninstall God of War and move on :) You'll be better for it.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It is a nice game, but i also didn't really liked it.

It was weird to play as the God of War from Greece with an axe in a nordic setting while on a journey with his son.
The minimal movement options aren't helping either. What i'm talking about are those button press locations to climb or jump.

i would have loved a new hack and slash game with big boss fights.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I really disliked the combat at the start of the game and even set the game to easy since it was frustrating. Atreus started to annoy me as well. After a long break I continued playing but only after taking a look at combat gameplay videos. That helped and now I'm enjoying the game more. Probably helps that it's now in 60 fps on the PS5.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My experience with God of War during the first 4-5 hours was hating it and feeling like it was the most overrated game since breath of the wild. When I finished god of war it ended up on my top 3 of all time. Opinion on BotW stands

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Apparently it should be forbidden to make a thread criticizing a game according to some members here (or at least a game they like). Yeah, maybe this could have been added to the previous thread instead but it's no big deal.

I only played a few hours so far and while I'm not tired of the puzzles yet I suspect I will be pretty soon, and I already feel like skipping the other chests. But I quite enjoy the combat apart from the axe not feeling as impactful as I'd like. The dialogue is good but I have a feeling the story will be spread thinner than it needs to because games need to be X hours long.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I liked it a lot and my main gripp was with the pacing.
But :
3. I feel like I've already had to help Atreus climb up and let a chain down like 20 times already. How many times?? I'm sick of it.
5. RPG elements are half-assed, seems to be a common complaint.
Yes, those was very not great. There's too much on foot activites for a slow character like that.
A lot of people really seem to neglect the usefulness of pummeling enemies with your bare hands I feel like
I am guilty of that. I didn't like the feeling of melee so I didn't used it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to dislike things. IMHO you are wrong on all accounts though. Especially with point 1. Combat is amazing - probably my favorite melee action game of them all - and it does flow well, but you need to practice a bit and also get some more gear through progression in the game. Combat just feels so impact ful and brutal, there really isn't anything else like it. It pretty much is for character action games what TLOU2 is for third person shooters.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
It is what it is. I managed to slog through to the end, but not my cup of tea at all. Just found it all rather boring.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't get better if those are your gripes with the game now. Sure it has some cool setpieces and such, but I had the same opinions you have by the end of the game.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Just sounds like it isn't your jam; which is fine. I didn't enjoy RDR2, which was also a generally loved game (i think?). Put that down after a few hours.

For me I loved God of War: the combat, the story, the world, the characters. Played through it multiple times and also got the platinum.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
You're correct and all of those points are valid. The first three games and Ghost of Sparta were all more entertaining.
I never got around to playing all the OG games but I agree about Ghost of Sparta. It feels a lot better paced and the scale is bigger than GOW PS4 despite being a PSP game. It was so good it made me wonder if people really think GOW PS4 is better than the OG games or if they just never played them.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I assume everyone saying "its not for you, move on" have never complained about a game before on this forum? Just seems weird people need to come in and say that repeatedly.

I felt the same about a lot of those points, the RPG stuff especially would be better out of the game entirely. It's strange to me how they hyped up this idea of the game being a one shot thing and then forced you to spend so much time in menus.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Combat in this game was really not fun for me. Played it long time ago but I think I had biggest problem with block/parry. It was weirdly unresponsive. Camera was annoying too. I gave up after 2 hours. It's real shame because presentation is top notch.
Just 2 hours? 😅
Speaking for myself, that's not nowhere near enough time to get the hang of things completely.

If you have a PS5, the update might just fix the gripes you have with the game. Replayed it recently, really loved it.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Every game isn''t for everyone. See if you can find something else that better suits your needs.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I never got around to playing all the OG games but I agree about Ghost of Sparta. It feels a lot better paced and the scale is bigger than GOW PS4 despite being a PSP game. It was so good it made me wonder if people really think GOW PS4 is better than the OG games or if they just never played them.

considering that most gow fans like gow4 I'm assuming the former

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is just awkward to play.

The close-up over the shoulder camera is not at all suited for melee combat, especially with the arenas the game likes to throw at you (and also spawn enemies behind you). And no, the dumb arrow warning system does not help. Over the shoulder cameras do work for shooters though, which is probably why many combat encounters ended up with me giving up on the melee combat, backing up, and running around throwing the axe like 100 times to kill everything.

The combat itself is a weird mishmash of Dark Souls and older God of War and it never seems to feel as snappy or satisfying as either one. Mind you, a fair bit of the blame for that could also be placed on the terrible camera.

Some environments are so "busy" that it's difficult to tell where I can and can't go, and what's a collectible and what isn't. Which ends up with you needing to slowly walk around scouring every square inch of each area to find everything, or giving up and moving on.

It's a shame, because the game clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls and Metroid, two of my favorite franchises of all time. It's a game that I feel as though I should enjoy, but I just can't.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That is okay, not everyone likes the same stuff. I loved GoW, but the worlds loves BoTW and I thought it was shit, but I also didn't need to explain it to others, I realize that it isn't the kind of game I wanted, it is what it is. Move on, play one of the other billion games that exist.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
I was a big fan of the the original games and GoW2018 didn't initally click with me as well, but I got back to playing it after a long while, persevered and finished it. Personally I thought combat got a lot more fulfilling once

you acquired the Blades of Chaos and could switch between them and your axe

which is still quite a long way to go from where you seemingly are. Your mileage may end up varying, though.