• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is better?

• Internal Battery

Votes: 1,184 50.7%
  • External (sanyo eneloop ftw!)

Votes: 1,151 49.3%

• Total voters

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Removable batteries, either a vendor provided pack or AA battery holder. Internal batteries can be really wasteful and we are already drowning in obsolete consumer electronics.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Okay. Can we at least agree that the best option would be a controller with a built-in usb charger for the included rechargeable aa batteries. Then people who don't want to change batteries, don't have to change batteries before they are permanently dead, and people who change batteries all the time can do that.
The battery cover would both have a plastic clasp and optional screws.

Now can any of you argue against such an overengineered monstrosity? ;-)

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to mess with AA batteries, so I prefer an internal battery over that, but a rechargeable external is the best.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't choose. Up until recently I would have said external (Eneloop FTW), and the Eneloops I purchased for my Wiimote back in 2012 are still working today. I was getting tired of having to buy new batteries every week and a half. Now though? I just ended up getting an SN30 Pro+, and the battery in that sucker just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, especially compared to the dreadfully low charge of the DS4. If all internals could have a charge as long as the SN30 Pro+, and also not need to be replaced for at least three years, I'd say internal. But sometimes you just don't have the option of using external anyway.

Hoping the DualSense battery is better. Should help that the battery is bigger and that the lightbar is relatively gone.

It's not though. They just covered it up a little more. Although they also made it a lot harder to cover the face section of the lights, which will be even more annoying than having to cover the front light on the DS4, unless they allow a truly "off" function for it this time. Something that should have always been available with the DS4 from the beginning. The "dim" doesn't really do shit, and the best way to use the controller for longevity is on PC anyway where you can shut that shut completely off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could go either way. An internal battery with a charging dock means that I'd basically never have to worry about the battery, because it would be fully charged every time I use it, but there's the chance that the battery goes to shit. An external battery means that I'd have to do a very minor amount of planning beforehand in terms of rotating batteries, but I'd never have to worry about the battery going bad.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I could go either way. An internal battery with a charging dock means that I'd basically never have to worry about the battery, because it would be fully charged every time I use it, but there's the chance that the battery goes to shit. An external battery means that I'd have to do a very minor amount of planning beforehand in terms of rotating batteries, but I'd never have to worry about the battery going bad.

This only really applies if you have more than one controller. You don't want to be charging most batteries until they are around the 50% - 30% range, and you typically don't want them to fully charge either if you're going for longevity. Although I'm assuming you knew that since you mentioned the battery possibly going to shit. With my original DS4 controller though, the actual charging port, the X button and one of the shoulders wore out before the battery started having charge issues, so it might not really matter. That controller was also less than two years old, and the replacement Pro controller from Feb 2017 hasn't had any issues yet.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This only really applies if you have more than one controller. You don't want to be charging most batteries until they are around the 50% - 30% range, and you typically don't want them to fully charge either if you're going for longevity. Although I'm assuming you knew that since you mentioned the battery possibly going to shit. With my original DS4 controller though, the actual charging port, the X button and one of the shoulders wore out before the battery started having charge issues, so it might not really matter. That controller was also less than two years old, and the replacement Pro controller from Feb 2017 hasn't had any issues yet.

Yeah, I don't care about micromanaging batteries in modern electronics. I've never had a battery go to shit on me.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
So basically your response to me saying it's funny that some people refuse to see the other persons preference is to say your choice is just better?

Ok, firstly my comment doesn't say that it's just people who prefer external batteries taking this view, I was pretty careful to not say this. You seem to have taken this as a sleight against your choice for some reason.

Secondly, if you want clarity beyond what I wrote (though why I'm not sure as it doesn't affect you in any way?) then fine:

I don't have to start fishing batteries when the controller runs out, I can just plug it directly into the console and carry on.
I just plug it into the console and let it charge away when I've finished and know that it'll be fully charged when I next pick it up without having to open it up and swap anything out.
I don't have to pay for external batteries and a charger if I'm going re-usable or a separate battery pack.
Every controller I've bought with an internal battery lasted as long as the day I bought it by the time I'd finished with it.

If people prefer external, good for the, there's a lot of good reasons to go that way but if the only reason you can give for anyone choosing internal over external is you think their view must be "I prefer internal because I can't trust myself/my household not to lose or break the battery cover" then I'd advise you to read through the thread and look at the comments from some of the currently more than 50% of people who prefer internal batteries.
Let me pose my question a different way... how would an easily removeable/replaceable battery pack (a la the Xbox Charge & Play or 8bitdo SN30 Pro+) make the DualShock worse?

It would still be rechargeable with a cable, you could still just plug it into the console and carry on as you currently do.

You wouldn't ever need to worry about swapping anything out unless you wanted or needed to, due to the aforementioned rechargeability with a cable.

You wouldn't (necessarily) have to pay extra unless Sony decided to stop including the rechargeable battery with the controller.

So yeah, it's not that I took your post as a sleight against "my choice" (I actually predominantly use controllers with non-serviceable internal batteries), it's just that truly the only intrinsic advantage of "internal" over "replaceable" I can personally come up with is the lack of an easily lost/broken battery cover... and I suppose the batteries themselves could also be lost, not just the cover.

The problem with this thread and poll is that it conflates "replaceable" with AA-style rechargeable batteries specifically.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Internal for me. I don't want to be charging AA's like I'm still in the 90's.
So you are (assumingly) charging the full controller with a long cable attached to the console like in the 90's

I don't have a problem with either of the two. But I have so many Eneloops lying around, I will never have a problem with discharged controller.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Best solution would be a type quality and fit of a PS4 style battery that can be accessed easier that uses a USB type C cable. Those that like the simple and effortless Sony solution can carry on using it that way.

On my older digital camera it used AA and also accepted CRV3 rechargeable. Not sure why they didn't catch on but the CRV3 last for a very long time, like months longer than any brand new AA and if you know cameras need really good AA to be able to work. These 360 charge packs have all disappointed me and end up with the wire plugged in more than not and I actually bought a very long cable for my 360 charge pack that I use on PC if the DS4 is not supported. The so called lithium pack is merely a go between now.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The best option is a replaceable battery that you can still charge from your plug socket, like the old Xbox one. I don't see why that's not standard.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can't stand that shit, such a mess. Do it like the PS3 and PS4 for heaven fucking sake. Never had an issue on PS3/PS4 and never spent a penny extra on a Sony pad.
You bought litteraly the worst option and have only yourself to blame. The normal rechargeable packs for Xbox controllers charge through the USB cord connected to said controller, not independently. Both the 360 and One, the latter of which will even take any standard USB MicroB cord to do it (and looking like the Series as well and with USB C). You just plonk them in and then only need to remove them come time to replace them a few years later.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I prefer internal, but I wish that Sony and Nintendo would ship longer USB charge cables with their controllers (Sony, in particular, has really short charge cables) so that it'd be easier to plug in controllers and continue playing. The Wii U had a decent length cable, and then the Switch Pro controller came with a fairly short one (what the hell, Nintendo?).

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
You bought litteraly the worst option and have only yourself to blame. The normal rechargeable packs for Xbox controllers charge through the USB cord connected to said controller, not externally. Both the 360 and One, the latter of which will even take any standard USB MicroB cord to do it.

Tried both, all rubbish, sorry.

I just got an image up to highlight the monstrosity of either really

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Let me pose my question a different way... how would an easily removeable/replaceable battery pack (a la the Xbox Charge & Play or 8bitdo SN30 Pro+) make the DualShock worse?

It would still be rechargeable with a cable, you could still just plug it into the console and carry on as you currently do.

You wouldn't ever need to worry about swapping anything out unless you wanted or needed to, due to the aforementioned rechargeability with a cable.

You wouldn't (necessarily) have to pay extra unless Sony decided to stop including the rechargeable battery with the controller.

So yeah, it's not that I took your post as a slight against "my choice" (I actually predominantly use controllers with non-serviceable internal batteries), it's just that truly the only intrinsic advantage of "internal" over "replaceable" I can personally come up with is the lack of an easily lost/broken battery cover... and I suppose the batteries themselves could also be lost, not just the cover.

The problem with this thread and poll is that it conflates "replaceable" with AA-style rechargeable batteries specifically.
The OP was clear about talking about AAs that you swap out rather than a battery pack so that's the comparison to be made.

Absolutely though, if the question had been "What's better, internal batteries or an external rechargeable battery pack?" then I think the post results would skew far heavier in favour of a battery pack as it combines the best of both of options.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Tried both, all rubbish, sorry.

I just got an image up to highlight the monstrosity of either really
What is rubbish exactly about a battery pack you just throw in and then plug in a controller? What exactly are you comparing it too as well, given the PS3/4 controller is identical in function but without the ability to remove said battery?

Also as an aside, being able to use eneloops in the Xbox controllers is an absolute god send for game development when I have a million other things on my desk already and don't have space for USB cords to charge all these controllers. It's rather curious people arguing that internal batteries are somehow necessary for wireless controllers when it's those very controllers that have me tethered and making a mess of cords to charge them all the damn time.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Removable batteries, either a vendor provided pack or AA battery holder. Internal batteries can be really wasteful and we are already drowning in obsolete consumer electronics.
Yep, this. There is literally not a single reason to pick internal except "convenience" and that ignores the waste of having to obsolete an entire controller because one component (the battery) is spent.

Yes internal batteries can last awhile, yes there are already trillions of tons of ewaste generated... But the point remains. Its completely wasteful for a tiny bit of perceived convenience.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
External. There's not a single reason to prefer internal.

You can swap external ones, charge them separately and if the battery dies definitely, the controller still works.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't choose. Up until recently I would have said external (Eneloop FTW), and the Eneloops I purchased for my Wiimote back in 2012 are still working today. I was getting tired of having to buy new batteries every week and a half. Now though? I just ended up getting an SN30 Pro+, and the battery in that sucker just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, especially compared to the dreadfully low charge of the DS4. If all internals could have a charge as long as the SN30 Pro+, and also not need to be replaced for at least three years, I'd say internal. But sometimes you just don't have the option of using external anyway.

It's not though. They just covered it up a little more. Although they also made it a lot harder to cover the face section of the lights, which will be even more annoying than having to cover the front light on the DS4, unless they allow a truly "off" function for it this time. Something that should have always been available with the DS4 from the beginning. The "dim" doesn't really do shit, and the best way to use the controller for longevity is on PC anyway where you can shut that shut completely off.

SN30 Pro Plus is external though.
You can remove it and replace it either with another one or with AA batteries.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I prefer internal, but I wish that Sony and Nintendo would ship longer USB charge cables with their controllers (Sony, in particular, has really short charge cables) so that it'd be easier to plug in controllers and continue playing. The Wii U had a decent length cable, and then the Switch Pro controller came with a fairly short one (what the hell, Nintendo?).
This! I prefer internal but a long cable can make a big difference. I have been using a lot on my DS4 the very long cable that came with my Xbox PC controller and it makes it effortless when I want to recharge when playing or outside playing.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
SN30 Pro Plus is external though.
You can remove it and replace it either with another one or with AA batteries.

A removable, small form factor, rechargeable battery isn't what I think of when I think of external since technically all of the batteries are "removable".
Good to know though I guess, since I've not needed to open it up yet.

Edit: OK, I see what you mean now. It's just a battery pack that's about the size of two AA batteries.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
After adopting the Ladda life I'll never go back. I've got Gameboys and GameGears and Wonderswans and controllers and everything just filled with those things. They hold onto a charge forever even when not in use, so no picking up a controller and just finding the batteries died without me doing anything.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Internal as I have a charging station next to my chair and charge when I sleep. I don't throw these things out if they're degraded as I'm savvy enough with a screwdriver.

I do use Eneloops for old Wiimotes and they're great.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
External. The Eneloop Pro charge capacity is great and i don't need any cables to keep the batteries charged. Also, having choices is quite nice.

Volcane

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like replaceable rechargeable battery packs that you put the controller on a dock i.e. I have the below:-
3467097_R_SET

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
A removable, small form factor, rechargeable battery isn't what I think of when I think of external since technically all of the batteries are "removable".
Good to know though I guess, since I've not needed to open it up yet.

Edit: OK, I see what you mean now. It's just a battery pack that's about the size of two AA batteries.

Yeah, what I mean by external is basically any battery pack that is meant to be removed like any AA batteries:
8864f460.jpg

Internal to me means the battery isn't accessible without opening the controller. External to me means the battery is accessible like this to either use a battery pack or AA battery.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Any external sloution is better. Sure i can switch to a second controller when the other one charges, but what if I need both? With my rechargeable batteries I never have this issue. I also never have to play with a wire attached. The time I need to connect a controller is not shorter than me replacing my two batteries real quick.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I have dogs. They're clumsy ladies. If I plug a cable into my console they can, will, and have tripped on it and yanked the controller and the console around. On PS4, I had to buy multiple controllers so I could charge one by the TV while I kept playing. On Xbox (and PC), I can just swap out the batteries and charge the old ones at the outlet. (On Switch the pro controller lasts so goddamn long that charging it is hardly ever an issue.)

Weird use case I guess but 🤷‍♀️

If every controller was like the SN30 Pro+ and had an included rechargeable battery pack that you could optionally swap out for AAs, I doubt anyone would have anything to complain about. It sidesteps the problems of internal batteries and also has all the benefits of externals. Like the only negative is you might possibly lose the battery cover if you like catastrophically drop the controller.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
What about joy-cons? And Switch itself?

Those are cases where replaceable batteries aren't really feasible for size and longevity reasons (Switch console itself wouldn't last nearly as long with an equivalent physical volume and mass of AAA's). The console itself isn't that bad to replace but the joycons are a bitch due to how small they are and the little ribbon cables.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Internal batteries are a nightmare for older system collectors who don't use legacy consoles every day. If you don't charge your batteries at least every 6 months they could die forever. I hate that so much.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
What is rubbish exactly about a battery pack you just throw in and then plug in a controller? What exactly are you comparing it too as well, given the PS3/4 controller is identical in function but without the ability to remove said battery?

Also as an aside, being able to use eneloops in the Xbox controllers is an absolute god send for game development when I have a million other things on my desk already and don't have space for USB cords to charge all these controllers. It's rather curious people arguing that internal batteries are somehow necessary for wireless controllers when it's those very controllers that have me tethered and making a mess of cords to charge them all the damn time.

Explained in my previous posts and by many others here and not against a smart solution that caters for both.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It doesn't really matter to me either way as long as the battery life is good. (Looking at you, DualShock 4.)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
My two PS4 gamepads are roughly five years old and I don't have any issue with them. I have an issue though with not being able to charge my Xbox One pad via USB on my PC.

If I could charge my ennelops inside the pad just by plugin in the USB cable and keep playing it would be the same experience as with the PS4 controllers.

So it's ultimately more about the charging options than internal vs external.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
"External" is better because, while the USB charging kit that makes the battery "internal", is typically an additional expense, the flexibility it provides is worth it.

An accessible battery compartment increases the lifespan of the controller, guarantees that if the battery starts going bad (or is bad from the start like the DS4's), you can just replace it with a new battery pack, or AA's. The AA option can increase the battery life (~4-5000maH compared to the DS4's 800) and guarantees the controller is always wireless, assuming you have at least two spare charged LSD AA's. Or any other type of AA batteries, but it's like...stop using those.

As far as I can tell, cost is the only argument against the Microsoft solution.
It would be preferable if the charging kit came included with the console, but I suppose at least this time, the hardware you are getting is already a lot.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
So you are (assumingly) charging the full controller with a long cable attached to the console like in the 90's

I don't have a problem with either of the two. But I have so many Eneloops lying around, I will never have a problem with discharged controller.
No. I plug the controller into the ps4 with a very short cable when I finish using it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I used to be external but the right answer is an internal with good battery life. Using the Elite 2, really like the internal and charging mechanism.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
External. Multipurpose batteries that last forever, and as far as I can tell, last longer per charge than my PS4 controller does. Swapping out batteries is not a hastle, BUT IMO the 360 case was a million times better than the Xbones shell. The 360 case had an easy press button which popped out the battery pack. The Xbone needed me to put a strip of duct tape on it for grip just so I can get it out =P

Honestly just for general purpose use you should have a set of eneloops (or brand of choice) anyways.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this in the Xbox preorder thread but maybe it makes more sense here:

Does anyone have experience with Controller Gear? I ask because they sell their X1/SS/SX controller charging stands (the Controller Gear Universal Xbox Pro Charging Stand) on the MS Store so I was curious if they were actually any good?
https://controllergear.com/index.php/xbox-pro-charging-stand.html

They also sell their own rechargeable battery pack which I would be curious to know what the quality of it is as I've had bad experiences with MS's official battery packs. I wanted to ask because beyond these two MS products they make their product line appears to mostly be junk (though they do carry what may be some official Nintendo branded apparel that looks nice and they sell the Adaptive controller).

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
External if only for the fact that I don't need to order a bespoke battery off the internet if it dies completely. Looking at you, PS4 controller.