• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is better?

• Internal Battery

Votes: 1,184 50.7%
  • External (sanyo eneloop ftw!)

Votes: 1,151 49.3%

• Total voters

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
External, just had to buy a new DS4 because of a dying battery. Sure it's possible to open it up and switch it out, but I was afraid of fucking it up. On Xbox I swap Eneloops and keep going.

The best way is the one used by the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus.

dims

It comes with a battery which charges via a USB-C port on the controller. If this is fine for you, you never have to open the controller or do anything with this battery other than charge it.

If you want to replace it, it's accessible via a simple plastic flap.

You can also remove the pack and insert two standard AA batteries, which fit perfectly into the same space, and use those instead.

This would be the preferred way to do it. Despite me preferring MS method I have to admit it's a ripoff to not include a battery when the competition does, and they even over charge for their proprietary shit, which I of course fell for as a kid...

Last edited:

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States

dims

It comes with a battery which charges via a USB-C port on the controller. If this is fine for you, you never have to open the controller or do anything with this battery other than charge it.

You can also remove the pack and insert two standard AA batteries, which fit perfectly into the same space, and use those instead.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Best of both!

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2020, I don't want to deal with external batteries. Sadly I have to because I still play Wii/360 games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

dims

This is a good compromise. I prefer internal myself.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Maybe other manufacturers have caught up in the last twenty years but every time I have tried cheaper ones, I was just disappointed with their performance. Tried eneloops and stuck with them.

I never actually tried any eneloops, I had some old energizers from my 360 days around but decided it was time to change up since they weren't performing adequately anymore and I was pretty certain I'd be getting some eneloops since they're all everyone ever talks about here and in the old place but decided to check some analysis beforehand to make sure there wasn't a more convenient budget alternative that was still reliable (which is why I ended up getting some laddas, silly bang for buck in comparison here in my country) but I was surprised to see the eneloops were consistently not delivering on their reputation in every single in depth analysis/comparison I checked out at the time, which is why I'm curious about their reputation.

For context, from all the stuff I checked out they consistently performed good and very solidly but were neither the undisputed kings they're often made out to be nor were they a significant step up from the budget-but-quality alternatives offered by the likes of ikea or amazon.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2020, I don't want to deal with external batteries. Sadly I have to because I still play Wii/360 games.
you could get docks and packs that goes in the place of the battery stuff with contacts on the back to give you "internal" batteries with the wii and 360 so try looking online and see if any of the bulk resellers have any older stock

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Internal 100% of the time. By the time a controller battery goes bad you'd probably have to replace it because of another issue anyways.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

dims

Was gonna mention the SN30 Pro Plus. Why choose when you can have both?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer having the choice - but with a choice they should include a rechargeable battery pack imo.

With that said I guess it just depends? Switch Pro Controller had a crazy battery life. Dual Shock 4 was iffy in that respect. With Microsoft, I'm not a fan of how much they charge for the Play & Charge Kit and I think it should be included.

Rechargeable batteries have worked out pretty well for me - but again, that's a separate purchase. Luckily I have several appliances that need batteries so I just bought a ton + a charger for them.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer internal. Less hassle and I've never had to replace a device because of a bad battery, though I do strongly believe internal batteries should be replacable if they do go bad.

Oct 25, 2017
8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus battery method is the way, the truth, and the life

you're not going to settle anything. you're going to have 20 odd pages of people not realizing that the ability to easily change a bad battery is more important than being able to charge something out of the box.

the ideal solution is a rechargeable, easily swappable battery included with every controller sold. you have to pay a little more for this with xbox controllers, but with the price hike on the ps5 pads, it's almost a wash now yeah?

blame space speaks only the truth

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
My PS controller battery life gets progressively worse but to charge it I literally just plug in a single cable that came with the console. I hate changing batteries on my Xbox controller and when I use it on PC I always use it wired without batteries just so I dont have to buy and change them.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Internal, i just dont want to mess with batteries and changing the battery of the ds4 is pretty easy.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
would it ever be a BAD thing to be able to easily replace a battery?
Not really, and I think that for expensive controllers like the Xbox Elite the option to change the battery is needed as the materials of the controller are premium. I was mostly talking about my experience with controllers, usually they last me an entire generation but every time I replaced one is was because something broke due to the intensive use (or poor materials in the case of Dualshock 4) and never due to the battery being damaged by recharging it, so I never experienced the need to use external batteries as I see it is another purchase I need to do, even if it's only once.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. So I have been an Eneloop guy for a VERY long time. Batteries have been my thing. I held off getting an Elite 2 simply because it doesn't let you use batteries. However, after having experienced the ease of charging it, I don't mind not going back to batteries.

3599831-img_0202.jpg

The case it comes in IS the charger. You just plug it into an outlet and sit it there. So when I'm done gaming or inbetween sessions I just set it down, and then pick it back up to continue gaming wirelessly.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
External eneloops are the best choice ever. Quick swap. Always have another pair on the charger. Keep the batteries out of old controllers to keep em safe from exploding.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
External is best for longterm preservation and use.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I prefer external. Just works without any fuss and I can go from a dead battery to a full battery in an instant. Also it doesn't hurt that the Xbox controller has really damn good and consistent battery life whilst the DS4 has pretty poor battery life in comparison to Xbone and that has degraded a lot (was once around 6 hours, now closer to 3)

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017

dims

This - Best of both worlds.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I will always favor a battery that is easy to remove along with cheap and readily available replacement options.

External a the way

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
External I think? I use the plug and play kit $25 on Xbox one. It's worked for 7 years of daily use. It still hasn't died

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this approach so consistently being attributed to the 8bitdo (I own one for my Switch and it's awesome, no negative bias here) if this is the way Xbox controllers have worked since the 360 launched? Oo
It isn't the way Xbox controllers have worked since the 360 launched. Xbox controllers have come with AA batteries, and getting a rechargeable battery was a separate purchase.

Deleted member 44122

Why is this approach so consistently being attributed to the 8bitdo (I own one for my Switch and it's awesome, no negative bias here) if this is the way Xbox controllers have worked since the 360 launched? Oo
because the 8bitdo controller comes with a rechargeable battery included

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Do you care about short term or long term? Because external batteries are better in the long term. It can be a pain to find decent replacements the older something is. Even phones you get stuck with very cheap, low quality Chinese replacements. If you only care about the short term (5-10 years of use) then the convenience of internal will likely outweigh it for you.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It isn't the way Xbox controllers have worked since the 360 launched. Xbox controllers have come with AA batteries, and getting a rechargeable battery was a separate purchase.
because the 8bitdo controller comes with a rechargeable battery included
Because you have to pay $20 extra for the Xbox battery pack.

The feature is nonetheless available and there, which is what this is all about. 8bitdo is unquestionably a better deal, but that isn't the point of contention here, my point is that this is an old standard at this point, which is why I don't get why people are crediting 8bitdo with the approach. You can also buy your Xbox controllers WITH a battery included, it doesn't have to be a separate purchase.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my broken PS3 controllers, some of them even from the PS3 release day, that would still be usable with eneloops. but sadly I either buy internal batteries from shady producers or not use my ps3 at all anymore.

So I'll always be team external batteries for controllers. eneloop are such a great value.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is the most even pill I've ever seen. The correct answer is internal though. External feels like a relic from the 90's these days.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Every time someone makes a poll like this, there's always just two options. Which is ridiculous, because the correct answer is neither.

The correct answer is internal, easily accessible and replaceable, batteries. Whether it's the frankly ingenious double-AA-shaped battery cell in 8bitdo's SN30Pro controller, or just a regular flat mobile-phone-style battery tucked in behind a flap on the underside of the controller, any variation of it will do. A controller should come with a battery inside of it, that can be recharged without taking it out of the controller, but can also be easily taken out and replaced should it eventually fail. All there is to it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people are crediting 8bitdo with the approach.
It's difficult to simplify it much further, so just to be blunt: the Microsoft approach where the default purchase arrangement is that your controller comes with two disposable AA batteries is shit. Throughout the topic the environmental concerns of broken internal batteries have been raised repeatedly - well, the Xbox approach is that every controller packs in two batteries that will last for a few dozen hours and then need to be thrown out.

I credit 8bitdo for their approach because they offer a one-off purchase as a default approach that still lets anyone power the controller however they wish. I don't credit Microsoft for that, because they don't do that.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
I am not super passionate either way. I do however prefer external as it prevents the need for a "charging area". Which simply takes up space and not easy to hide.

Also, the kids often forget to charge the Switch Pro controller. Being able to simply swap the batteries in the Xbox controllers means this never happens.